Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Legend
Legend
B
Pit, I don't need you trying to give me lessons in business and money.

Thanks

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't think you needed them until you started denying them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I didn't change anything. You can read my comments. You were the one who started talking about ROI. My problem is the ROI as you mention seems to be a changing factor when in fact in business it is a set figure.

What sort of return is expected to make the investment viable.

As I said, that seems to change with the wind. It doesn't matter to some, which is fine, just say so. Don't start talking about picks invested, money spent or any of the other things.

Bottom line is as long as the team feels it was a good move, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans what fans think.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by W84NxtYrAgain
Steve Sax Syndrome

Though never regarded as one of the top fielding second basemen in the league, Steve Sax inexplicably became incapable of making routine throws to first base in 1983, committing 30 errors that season. This is referred to in baseball terminology as "Steve Sax Syndrome", the fielder's variant of "Steve Blass disease," named after the Pirates pitcher who suffered a similar breakdown of basic mechanics (also known as "The Yips"). As his accuracy suffered, fans sitting behind the first base dugout began wearing batting helmets as mock protection. (Teammate Pedro Guerrero, an outfielder pressed into service at third base in 1983, once reportedly stated that his first thought whenever he was in the field was "I hope they don't hit it to me", while his second thought was "I hope they don't hit it to Sax.")

Source - Wikipedia

Steve Sax was who I was thinking of when this kicker stuff was going down.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I didn't change anything. You can read my comments. You were the one who started talking about ROI. My problem is the ROI as you mention seems to be a changing factor when in fact in business it is a set figure.

What sort of return is expected to make the investment viable.

As I said, that seems to change with the wind. It doesn't matter to some, which is fine, just say so. Don't start talking about picks invested, money spent or any of the other things.

So don't talk about investment in order to determine what the return should be? If the investment is that of a top 5 QB, he should be a top 5 QB. If the investment were that of a QB paid in the bottom half of the league the return would be judged according to that investment as well. I will always say that as a corporation, EVERYTHING is judged according to ROI. That just how corporations operate and you know that.

Bottom line is as long as the team feels it was a good move, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans what fans think.

And we will never know what they think no matter how he plays. I mean they loved Cade York until the day he was cut, right? That will always be the company line.

Any time you pay an employee more than what his services have earned, you are overpaying that employee. Whether that will turn out to be the case remains to be seen. But making preemptive excuses in the event that does happen isn't working for most people.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Chuck Knoblauch and the pitcher from St. Louis - name escapes me. Had the yips also. Knoblauch couldn’t toss the ball from his second base position over to first place- moved him to the outfield. The kid from St. Louis couldn’t come within 5’ of the strike zone. - Ended up having a decent career as an outfielder/hitter.

I can imagine that the pressure for a place kicker is way more intense. Only 17 games a year compared to 162 in baseball, no chance to make up for an error with the bat. Sometimes the entire outcome of a game depends on your leg.

Last edited by RememberMuni; 08/29/23 12:29 PM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
exactly it ended Knoblauch's career (imagine that as a second baseman)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Yep. Honestly, I’m surprised that it doesn’t happen more often in basketball. - No margin for error to get the ball in the hoop. Whereas in baseball and even place kicking, you have some leeway.

R/E the young Cardinals player I mentioned above- Rick Ankiel.

Last edited by RememberMuni; 08/30/23 03:29 PM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Yep. Honestly, I’m surprised that it doesn’t happen more often in basketball. - No margin for error to get the ball in the hoop. Whereas in baseball and even place kicking, you have some leeway.

I don't know. A 2nd baseman usually doesn't or can't just whip it over. You see lot's of pitchers have trouble with that comebacker and tossing it over to 1st.

A lot of QB's struggle with that touch pass. In basketball it is more in the wrists and the shoulders don't come in to play. They don't dictate the speed of the ball the way if does with an overhand throw.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by RememberMuni

I don't know. A 2nd baseman usually doesn't or can't just whip it over. You see lot's of pitchers have trouble with that comebacker and tossing it over to 1st. You don't see 3rd basemen or shortstops have that problem because they can just fire it over to first.

A lot of QB's struggle with that touch pass. In basketball it is more in the wrists and the shoulders don't come in to play. They don't dictate the speed of the ball the way if does with an overhand throw.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Preseason Gameday vs Kansas City Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard