Next Thread
Print Thread
#2025168 08/30/23 08:56 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Camp is over.

The roster is close to set.

Now begins the routine of the regular season. Game planning the Bengals.

When draft analysis of players is going on. You often hear the phrase "ceiling and floor."

That phrase can also be applied to the season.

We all know that DW's play on the field will be key. However, we have to look at the roster as well. The quarterback is dependent upon others to succeed. The OL, running backs, receivers and TE's all have a job that the qb depends upon.

Obviously, the defense has to hold the opponent.

The ceiling for the 2023 Browns is high. In fact it is the expectation of the fans and the organization.

The floor? IMO would be nine wins. This team has to have a winning season. If not heads will roll.

If the Browns put it all together the AFC pecking order will get turned on it's head.

bonefish #2025169 08/30/23 09:08 AM
Legend
Legend
It's all on Watson. If he's the 2019 version then we'll be good. If he's last year's version (or what we've seen this preseason) then our coaches will be fired and we'll stink

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #2025170 08/30/23 09:18 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Of course DW is important.

However, I don't think it is all on him. It is on the team and KS as well.

bonefish #2025178 08/30/23 11:02 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
The OL is well above average in the NFL. The Browns have one of the top, if not THE top RB in the NFL. They went out and built a solid WR room. NJoku is a physical specimen which many claim has been underused. So in terms of the offense it does indeed lay squarely on the shoulders of watson.

The phrase that can be attached to the season? "No Excuses"

Schwartz at least to this point seems to be a huge upgrade at the DC position and I think we will continue to see this. While preseason doesn't tell you a lot, from what I did see it appears Schwartz is going to allow his fastest and best players to read and react a lot more than have specific assignments. For players like JOK this could mean we will be able to see his full potential.

This season lays on the shoulders of watson and Stefanski. And if this team doesn't make a playoff push, no matter which of these two are at fault, it will be Stefanski that pays the price. That watson contract means the Browns are married to him no matter the outcome and someone will have to be the sacrificial lamb.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2025181 08/30/23 11:19 AM
Legend
Legend
I agree Schwartz certainly seems to be improved (Woods was awful). The hope is that the D can hold teams under 24 points

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #2025220 08/30/23 01:54 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
yep all eyes are on stefanski and potentially Berry.. Stefanski for sure but will come down to whether or not owners feel there is talent not being coached or not enough talent. I think our FA talent acquisition has been good, our drafts have been very bad to mediocre. Our depth will show once we get a few injuries.. But I think this is Stefanski's last year without a deep playoff run

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
bonefish #2025228 08/30/23 02:22 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think it’s likely that teams will game prep AGAINST US a few specific ways…

1. Do absolutely everything they can to shut down Chubb until if and when the passing game becomes a real threat. It’s far from given that our passing game can get it done, drive by drive, quarter by quarter, week in week out. I’d expect them to routinely shade defenders toward run stopping and try to force hurried throws.

Conversely…

2. Make us prove we can stop the run. That and the short passing game in the flat, especially TE’s and slot receivers. Most games would start, I’m guessing of course, with lots of running and short passes over the middle.

So until teams determine these two assumptions are wrong, I would expect to see heavy doses of this from them. Planning accordingly would mean…

1. either investing even more energy into running it down their throats or leaning heavily into Deshaun’s highest percentage passes. Which emphasis would depend on the team we’re facing.

2. Stack up and totally commit to stopping the run or let them get chunks on the ground but shut down the passing game with lots of blitzing and dropping LBs into coverage. Which emphasis would depend on the team we’re facing.

It’s not exactly this simple of course and you’d have to plan contingencies but this is pretty close to how I’d be starting the game plan every week. What’s their likely first strategy, where will they seek advantage, where do they perceive our weakness, how can we create the most disruption for their strategy?

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 08/30/23 02:31 PM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
leadtheway #2025273 08/30/23 08:06 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by leadtheway
yep all eyes are on stefanski and potentially Berry.. Stefanski for sure but will come down to whether or not owners feel there is talent not being coached or not enough talent. I think our FA talent acquisition has been good, our drafts have been very bad to mediocre. Our depth will show once we get a few injuries.. But I think this is Stefanski's last year without a deep playoff run

You may be the only one on DT WHO THINKS berry is a problem. I think he’s been good to great. I’d like to know who else thinks he’s an issue.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/30/23 08:07 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawgs4Life #2025278 08/30/23 08:53 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, Hunt isn't with team anymore.......might need to update you stick. QBs and Coaches do take lots of heat....but, the kicker needs to produce when needed.....AND, the D needs to communicate.....our offense, with no injuries, should put up enough points to win enough to make playoffs......then, anything can happen....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
leadtheway #2025282 08/30/23 09:40 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Game prep...I wonder IF D. Jones will play fullback.....Chubb running behind 370 plus pushing forward....GO Browns

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
OldColdDawg #2025293 08/31/23 07:02 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by leadtheway

You may be the only one on DT WHO THINKS berry is a problem. I think he’s been good to great. I’d like to know who else thinks he’s an issue.

I think our FO has done a very good job.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: JimDawg
Ballpeen #2025304 08/31/23 08:56 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Sometimes people think that GM's have a magic wand.

Get rid of this guy. Trade for this guy. Draft this guy. Cap management is all wrong.

The reality is. It's not that simple.

Overall Andrew Berry has done a great job. Sure you will miss on draft picks like York and Anthony Schwartz. No GM is going to have all positive hits on draft picks. Berry has had hits and misses like all GM's.

Free agency is more of a target shot to improve the roster at specific weak points. Mistakes have been made but so have corrections been made.

It is all about construction of the roster and management of player contracts. Knowing how to balance the roster and manage the cap.

This is a good roster. IMO Berry has done a good job.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
bonefish #2025307 08/31/23 09:00 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Hindsight makes all of us fans pretty good at selecting players.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: bonefish, FATE
Ballpeen #2025329 08/31/23 11:15 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Hindsight makes all of us fans pretty good at selecting players.

I don't think it's so much that. I think looking at someone's body of work over time isn't hindsight. It's a job assessment. I certainly think Berry got off to a bit of a shaky start. But based on the evidence as I see it he has gotten much better over time. Not that he doesn't make decisions which I disagree with. But then I'm just an average Joe who isn't actually qualified to to critique guys like AB.

The difference now is he doesn't make decisions which make me want to scratch my head. Even when and if I disagree with some of the moves he makes, I understand them. They make sense in the grand scheme of things. Some are yet to be determined. But I think this last draft is further evidence of his skills. He seemed to have drafted a lot of talent considering he didn't have any first or second round picks. And that's a pretty good accomplishment.

So IMO he's grown into being quite good at this job.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
bonefish #2025345 08/31/23 12:21 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
If you look at the last 2 drafts he had no 1st round picks but he got
Deshaun Watson in 2022 basically as our 1st pick
In 2023 he traded for Elijah Moore.

So, while the team has had no 1st round picks, he has found creative ways to supply the team with 1st round talent.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I know the season has yet to be played. However, this season these players were added.

However, so far Moore, Tillman, Jones, DTR, Ika, and Wypler have had really good camps and look like players that will contribute.

Free agency Thornhill, Tomlinson, Ogbo, Pocic, Adams, Ford, Kunaszyk, Dobbs, Shelby Harris

Traded for Zadarius,

Every player added at least as we speak today appears to an upgrade in talent.

Dobbs was flat beat out. and traded.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Ballpeen #2025398 08/31/23 05:12 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I think our FO has done a very good job.

I agree 100%. They have tried to fix every possible weakness this team had and have done it.

It is up to the players and coaches now!

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum game prep

Link Copied to Clipboard