Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

peen...I've read through all the various rules and stipulations that apply to the practice squad players and they change every year. Reading through the 2023 rules and changes just one time is not enough for me. It helps to have someone post the new rules each year as a reference...thanks for the article.

That said, I have my concerns about the Browns depth, especially the interior OLine.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
thumbsup

Last edited by mac; 08/31/23 11:17 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's always smart to sign someone who has your oppositions playbook in their brain right before you play them. He may be gone from their practice squad right after the opener.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: JimDawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
I know. The rules change.

This year teams can have a 3rd QB active, but he can only play if the first two QB get hurt and can't play. He is kind of the "extra" player who doesn't count against the 48 or however many players can be active on gameday.

It's a good rule. It stems from a playoff game last year. Maybe it was the 49's who lost both qb's and had to play a position player at QB. The 3rd guy isn't ideal but it's better than playing someone who maybe played some QB back in high school 12 years ago.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Tackles are tackles.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
They can still be signed off our practice squad to any 53. I’ll be happy when Dunn is back on the 53.

OCD...some seem to forget that fact...simply being on the Browns practice squad doesn't mean that the Browns have exclusive rights to that player. Any of the other eligible NFL teams have a right to put in a claim for a player and sign him off our practice squad.

Teams can protect 4 players on the practice squad each week. I am not sure how a team makes that designation.

The rules:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nf...-rules-more-to-know-for-2023/ar-AA1fT4Wh
Originally Posted by mac
They can still be signed off our practice squad to any 53. I’ll be happy when Dunn is back on the 53.

OCD...some seem to forget that fact...simply being on the Browns practice squad doesn't mean that the Browns have exclusive rights to that player. Any of the other eligible NFL teams have a right to put in a claim for a player and sign him off our practice squad.

Teams can protect 4 players on the practice squad each week. I am not sure how a team makes that designation.

The rules:

Can’t the player say no?

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by mac

The rules:

Originally Posted by mac

The rules:

Can’t the player say no?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Browns officially re-sign DT Maurice Hurst II according to Maurice Hurst II

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-officially-sign-dt-maurice-130222286.html

It appears as though Hurst is back on the 53 man roster.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
glad Hurst is back

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Brad Stainbrook
@StainbrookNFL
#Browns CB Denzel Ward (concussion) not practicing today. Not ideal.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
He will be out for a good while. As fans we are best off not counting on him at all. How many games will he miss this time, then how many more plays before he bumps his head again?

Seriously, the guy needs to retire, he is too frail for the game.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think it's a question of being too frail per say. It's a simple fact that goes along with concussions. After the first one you're more susceptible to a second one. A second one makes you more susceptible to a third one and so on. And it also makes you susceptible to the fact that each following concussion can and would likely be more severe. You can be a strong and conditioned athlete while still having concussion issues. I do think for his own future well being he should consider retirement.

I don't think any of that qualifies an athlete of being frail.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I expect him out his typical 4-6 weeks, so probably after the bye

2nd String
2nd String
I'm afraid you are right. Just too many concussions for DW.

Will Emerson take his spot?

Legend
Legend
most likely yes

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't think it's a question of being too frail per say. It's a simple fact that goes along with concussions. After the first one you're more susceptible to a second one. A second one makes you more susceptible to a third one and so on. And it also makes you susceptible to the fact that each following concussion can and would likely be more severe. You can be a strong and conditioned athlete while still having concussion issues. I do think for his own future well being he should consider retirement.

Isn't Ward the player that Gregg Williams called out for poor tackling early in his career. He said he would get hurt tackling big WRs and TEs high. Soon after he suffered his first concussion. My memory isn't the best. Anyone else recall this?

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

You may not like the term frail, but it applies. I am not trying to say he is weak or anything like that. If it was boxing it would be called a glass jaw.

As you said, some people take a blow to the head better than others, and when it happens, it tends to remain a problem.

The guy really needs to retire is what he needs to do, but if he does that he gives up his contract. So, here we are, a player who can't play a great deal of the time.

The team needs to work out a buy out and tell the guy he needs to retire for his own good. Actually, the NFL, for their good needs to come up with some policy towards players who sustain multiple concussions. When the same guys keep sustaining them every year, that should end their football playing days. Have a uniform payout policy, and end it. If they want to continue playing somewhere else, that is on them, not the NFL.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: W84NxtYrAgain
Legend
Legend
I would imagine he would retire if it weren't for that $52 million guaranteed or whatever that he has left over the next 3 years. Unfortunately, I can't see a player turning that down, especially when you can just stay in the protocol for however long you want with self diagnosing symptoms.

B
Legend
Legend
B
You get it. All one has to do is say they have reoccurring headaches or blurred vision, or whatever. No M.D. is going to definitively say they don't or are faking symptoms.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
exactly. They aren't touching that stuff. As long as Ward just shows up, he can be here for the duration of his deal

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

They could try coming up with a helmet that works.

Kind of sad that something so simple as adding a soft outer shell to a football helmet greatly reduced the risk of concussions.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm still not convinced the word frail applies. But I certainly agree with you about the NFL. For all of the PR they put out about how important and concerned player safety is to them, one would think they should have a protocol in place that addresses multiple head injuries. To me it points out the old adage of "listnen not to what they say but watch what they do."

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

Kind of sad that something so simple as adding a soft outer shell to a football helmet greatly reduced the risk of concussions.

The outside foam padding was tried years ago (Willie Lanier of the Chiefs had a 3-4 wide band on top of his) but supposedly if two players rammed helmets head-to-head, the foam could "catch" and possibly twist their necks causing a serious spine injury. It was debated very intensely in the 1970s.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
but supposedly if two players rammed helmets head-to-head, the foam could "catch" and possibly twist their necks causing a serious spine injury.

Never heard of a player or players that had an incident of football helmets "catching", causing serious spine injury.

Do you have any specifics of such an incident occurring?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't looked into intracranial injections yet.

It's not the external force that necessarily causes the concussions. Its the brain "rattling around" inside the skull. You can have soft things hitting each other, but there will still be sudden acceleration/deceleration. People are going to hit "immovable" objects (i.e, the ground) and their internal organs (brains) are going to keep moving until something stops their movement internally.

edit: Yes, the idea of messing around inside the head is somewhat horrifying, but I don't see any other way of making a real impact on the problem.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

I'm actually kind of surprised they haven't looked into intracranial injections yet.

It's not the external force that necessarily causes the concussions. Its the brain "rattling around" inside the skull. You can have soft things hitting each other, but there will still be sudden acceleration/deceleration. People are going to hit "immovable" objects (i.e, the ground) and their internal organs (brains) are going to keep moving until something stops their movement internally.

edit: Yes, the idea of messing around inside the head is somewhat horrifying, but I don't see any other way of making a real impact on the problem.

Reality is, the average fan comes up with ideas that make more sense than the NFL's idea of building a safer helmet for the players.

The fact is the NFL continues to chase their tails around in circles and now football helmets are back to a "rock hard" outer shell that is lined with various forms on inner padding to soften the impact...very similar to what I wore in high school and college. As a soph in HS, I was fortunate enough wear the first plastic helmet our school was able to afford.

In college, we had the latest/greatest innovation in plastic helmets...AIR-HELMETS...Helmets that were padded with inflatable air pockets that fit like a glove. IMO, air-helmets were horrible, hot than hell and inflated so snugly that there was little to no give in helmet to helmet contact.

Just to show evidence of how the NFL is chasing their tail round and round...now the NFL mandates the use of the ProCap for practice...but this procap is made by Guardian.

Last edited by mac; 09/05/23 05:03 PM.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by mac
but supposedly if two players rammed helmets head-to-head, the foam could "catch" and possibly twist their necks causing a serious spine injury.

Never heard of a player or players that had an incident of football helmets "catching", causing serious spine injury.

Do you have any specifics of such an incident occurring?

The issue wasn't with traditional hard helmets because they carom off each other. Foam material can have a "grip" trait to it and the fear was two colliding together would "catch". Think gym shoe material or something. I don't have a specific occurrence, but the foam padding was used so seldom the odds were minute, but it was seriously a concern when this idea was being contemplated in the 1970s.

I am not saying it is likely, just that Willie Lanier's helmet padding in the 1970s was a concern for some and the discussion occurred. It was in response to why no one has come up with a soft outer shell.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

Putting the players in old leather helmets would work. People would quit using their heads as battering rams. Players would try to tackle another player rather than try to hit the other player.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Dan Beebe use to wear a Kazoo Helmet.

[Linked Image from cdn.vox-cdn.com]

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
So that's why he bounced like a pogo stick.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from i.makeagif.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Ward needs to retire for his health moving forward, period. It might be that the Browns could come to some agreement with him regarding his contract. His continued playing isn’t worth it for his family.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bird
Ward needs to retire for his health moving forward, period. It might be that the Browns could come to some agreement with him regarding his contract. His continued playing isn’t worth it for his family.

Nor the Browns or NFL.

The guy has a frail skull. He has had 4-5 concussions to this point.

Either he is playing to take the money or playing to be a veggie in 20 years, at which point he will sue the Browns and NFL.

He is a Schmuck IMO if he doesn't retire .

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The issue wasn't with traditional hard helmets because they carom off each other. Foam material can have a "grip" trait to it and the fear was two colliding together would "catch". Think gym shoe material or something. I don't have a specific occurrence, but the foam padding was used so seldom the odds were minute, but it was seriously a concern when this idea was being contemplated in the 1970s.

Fort...the reason you can't find an example of a ProCap "catching"...there are no examples of any incidents of a ProCap catching.

The claim about the ProCap "catching" is simply a hypothetical by a Doctor who was working for the NFL.

This year the NFL required the use of a soft, foam outer helmet made by Guardian to be used by players in practice. Link to Guardian ProCap below:

https://guardiansports.com/guardian-caps/

The concept..a padded, foam like device to be worn on the outside of helmets to reduce the shock of helmet to helmet contact.

IMO, if the NFL is truly worried about a padded outer shell "catching", this design looks more likely to do so than the ProCap.

So now the NFL doesn't seem to object to the use of a padded outer shell being used to help reduce the threat of brain injury due to concussions.

Last edited by mac; 09/06/23 12:35 PM.

Legend
Legend
Any update on Ward?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Trying to equate the intensity players use in practice to actual games is a non starter.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player News Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard