Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
mgh888 #2032653 10/05/23 10:49 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
You're not asking me, but I'm of the opinion that (while there certainly was room for improvement) a better plan/playcall by Stefanski probably wouldn't have influenced the outcome of the game all that much.

Instead of wringing our hands over throwing our no-ready rookie QB to the wolves, we'd be going nuts over a playcall that had us passing for 4 yards on a 3rd and 15.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I actually agree that we'd have a tough time beating Baltimore regardless .. but I also get the feeling that we just aren't going to be good enough to win anything meaningful either. Our offense is too inconsistent

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
I have not seen yet what I was expecting in reference to play design.

Not just to you, but to everyone that thinks different plays should have been called.... have you considered that they called what they called based on knowledge of the things that weren't working?
Like, every call was an attempt to find ANYTHING that might work?

You know you can't run, so you're calling more passes. You try screens, but they don't work.
So, you try going empty, and they kinda work, but the line isn't giving you lots of time, so you try to hold a TE back to block, or you call something with a formation that has a RB to help chip. You finally find something that is working, but the ball keeps getting dropped or it has been called back because of a hold by the OL that can't buy you time, and now every time you go back to it, they see it coming, so you have to go to something else for a bit.... but, you're now into your 4th 3 & out series because you only get three tries at a time and they're adjusting as you're trying to adjust.

Some days you're the windshield; some days you're the bug.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I completely agree. I think folks tend to think that "game planning" is like some sort of strategic master class as if they're the generals and admirals figuring out how to conduct the Campaign in the Pacific.

Some times, game planning gets simplified for you really quick:

On offense, you have a know-nothing rookie QB, so your entire offensive plan is "well, let's throw a bunch of crap against the wall and see what sticks"

and then game day arrives and the rest of the offense is executing as poorly as the QB and any and all plans get tossed out the window because nobody is able to do anything.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Do you think every play should work? Of course not. You can't give up running the ball that quickly. Actually at all. Without even a threat of running the ball the d-line can just tee off on the pass rush.

How many screens did we attempt? How many draw plays? I don't know the answer, I listened on the radio while running errands.

Last edited by Jester; 10/05/23 11:52 AM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #2032677 10/05/23 12:01 PM
Legend
Legend
Of course not every play is going to work, but if absolutely none of a particular type of play is ever working and you can see plain as day WHY they aren't working and that it isn't likely to change all damn day, then you're now in the territory of "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result".

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I guess situationally here was my issue (and it is kind of a theme of our offense):

The situation was:

- Tie game 0-0
- First quarter and we have the ball at midfield
- it was 2nd and 2 after a nice 1st down run by Ford
- We have a rookie QB against Baltimore
- The next two plays we get cute with PA stuff and empty formations

I get the reason WHY you'd do that stuff under normal circumstances, but we certainly weren't playing under normal circumstances

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I was not talking about play calling.

Play calling and design are different.

All off season the scheme was installed. That is what the players learned. The playbook.

Game prep is based upon calling plays for the playbook; that you believe should work against the team defense you play each week.

DTR and the rest of the offense failed to execute.

What I was expecting on scheme was based upon how KS and DW were developing the scheme. The point was getting DW into plays that he felt most comfortable in.

I was expecting more spread. More gun and motion. Less snaps from center. More use of three wideouts and empty backfield. Heavy use of screens with backs. Backs in the pass game. Use of RPO. Moore is a slot guy not a running back.

When we lost Nick. That really hurt.

The Raven game was a beat down. Rookie qb's don't win first games.
===============================================================================

We have played four games. We do not yet know what the offense is. Turnovers have to stop.

We will find out what this offense is going to look like. The Titan game was an indication. The offense used multiple players. The ball was spread around.

My real concern right now is the OL. Ford is ok. Hunt so far looks diminished. It going to be about DW throwing the ball.

Jester #2032696 10/05/23 01:21 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Jester
Do you think every play should work? Of course not. You can't give up running the ball that quickly. Actually at all. Without even a threat of running the ball the d-line can just tee off on the pass rush.

So are you saying a Chubbless Browns team facing a Ravens D with the box stacked against them should just keep running into a wall? Some people see not trying to do that as giving up. Others see it as reacting to the opposing defense and how they are set up. Trying to play away from their game plan and taking what they are willing to give you. And some will say "they should have imposed their will on the Ravens D". But with no Chubb and no watson that's a rather silly take on things. The only RB on the Browns roster to average more than 3 yards per carry the entire game was Strong in garbage time. Yeah, they should have kept doing that.

I can't say about the screen passes because I didn't keep count but they were attempted. And it seems what some are claiming is that there weren't short routes ran and that option was not available for DTR to pass to. That's imply not accurate. But when you have a QB that is not ready to be a starter in the NFL they will make bad decisions. Their judgement is not the best in such situations and they do not take those options.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Typical Stefanski led team, reports are coming out now that the Browns players were irked when Watson pulled himself from playing. HEY, anyone see a pattern here? It's Cleveland my friends, same sh_t just a different day.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
And here people thought I was the watson hater in the crowd.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard