Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
Kind of nit pick. Not much there to speak of.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Watson being suspended would actually be a good thing.

Give me some DTR!

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
O
Legend
Legend
O
I’ve lost all respect for this franchise between DW and Ski. Everything from the trade that got us DW to scapegoating and crapping on Baker to this pitiful excuse for an offense. Ski can not handle adversity. He sucks at play calling. And he is in OVER his head. DW seems purely low character and nowhere near the elite player that was promised. I wouldn’t even call him average at this point, more like an overrated backup.

1 member likes this: tastybrownies
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Here is the shove…

That's nothing. rolleyes

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
In the grand scheme of things, compared to far more important things most have dismissed, it's pretty low on the pecking order.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Here is the shove…

That's nothing. rolleyes

That was a good NO CALL by the official...

Stefanski needs to do a bit of real coaching though, driving the point home to Watson...don't do that again..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
PitDAWG #2028979 09/19/23 03:35 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
While one may have been somewhat less egregious, they were both very blatant and obvious face masks. I mean last week we heard that somehow an NFL football magically transformed into as Nerf football that absorbed water which made it heavier. At some point we have to call it for what it is.

Well, now we've seen a quick trip from a soggy football to a player that looks like he has no answers. We're already knee-deep in excuses so they'll be few and far between going forward. Your biggest weapon is gone. The team, fanbase, media and everyone with a megaphone will now be staring at the 250M man saying "it's time to show me".

Hope Bone doesn't mind me pulling this from the postgame thread, it may easily be the opening sentence to chapter two of this mystery/horror/comedy piece that this team always turns out to be... the jokes always writing themselves amidst the bloodshed.

Originally Posted by bonefish
DW did not protect the ball. He also showed weakness of character while under stress. The face mask penalties were uncalled for. Instead of showing calm leadership under fire. He let his emotions rule.

When I analyzed this trade, shortly after the deal, this was my biggest concern... What if this isn't easy?

In Houston, things went sour in a hurry when the going got rough. You've been outspoken while many others have swept it under the rug.

Is there a possibility that there is a structural defect (Static-X reference) in Deshaun Watson and he goes dark when things don't go his way? Looks like we're about to breach that possibility, because his back is now firmly against the wall. And his coaches excuses won't cut it, because he's standing right next to him.

Fun times!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Imagine being Berry and being thrust into the Watson decision ... and putting together this great roster, and then watching that disaster last night

Genuinely curious, who made the call on Watson?

It depends on what you call "making" the call.

Berry is the one who first brought up signing Watson. He's the GM and Jimmy gives him latitude. He's the GM.

Jimmy obviously agreed and went along with the contract. His GM sold him on the move and he agreed.

Berry was the point. He is the one who talked to agents and Houston about details of the trade and the contract.

I know Jimmy isn't liked by many, but let's quit blaming him for everything that goes wrong. He has his football people who say "we got to get this guy" and he says go get him once they sell the idea.

If you are going to blame him for everything, he should get all the credit for things like getting Amari, Teller, Myles, Chubb, etc....if he is hamstringing Berry, he has been doing it to all the GMs.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
FATE #2028986 09/19/23 03:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
Is there a possibility that there is a structural defect (Static-X reference) in Deshaun Watson and he goes dark when things don't go his way? Looks like we're about to breach that possibility, because his back is now firmly against the wall. And his coaches excuses won't cut it, because he's standing right next to him.

Fun times!

I have no idea. If I were qualified to make that kind of diagnosis I would be taking more trips to Fiji. naughtydevil

I just saw obvious warning signs which I felt were easy to see. It began surroudig his problems with the team in Houston and went downhill from there.

As far as how he performs with the team I hope he can turn it around even though I have my doubts at this juncture. As much as people on this board failed to understand my thinking about this there are 52 other players on this roster and a coaching staff that had zero say in signing watson. For their sake as well as the sake of the fan base I hope this all works out for the best.

I would take no pleasure in watson failing as a QB with the Browns.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haven't had a chance to read this whole thread, so forgive me if someone already pointed this out, but...

Watson directly gave more points to the steelers (Pick 6 and fumble returned for a TD - total 14 points) than our defense allowed (12)

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Jester #2029021 09/19/23 05:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Jester
Haven't had a chance to read this whole thread, so forgive me if someone already pointed this out, but...

Watson directly gave more points to the steelers (Pick 6 and fumble returned for a TD - total 14 points) than our defense allowed (12)

Oh it's been pointed out by more than just someone ! smile

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
laugh

I didn't want to bring his stink to the Browns
I didn't want to bring his stink to Cleveland

Now all he is doing is bringing his stink to the field.

Jester #2029032 09/19/23 06:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Jester
laugh

I didn't want to bring his stink to the Browns
I didn't want to bring his stink to Cleveland

Now all he is doing is bringing his stink to the field.

If you didn't want , then why did you ?

you the reason the stink you didn't want on the field is

On the field ? lol J/K !!

He is here and as fans nothing we say or do will change the fact that he will be here for some time

Like him love him hate him (prefer dislike) not sure yet really doesn't matter

options:

Support the team you love by watching at home, listening too, being at the game ,local bar or friends house

find another team you could root for

another hobby on game day

or just just deal with it's what the Browns have as a QB

I said after the game last night I wouldn't watch another game until the Browns

Did enough to earn back my being a fan by winning

Then I realized, I might miss some really good football or

Live in the hell this team has put most of us through since "99"

LOL ! in a somewhat sad way !

Rishuz #2029033 09/19/23 06:45 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Nice Mayfield 2 wins 0 losses and don't talk because you did not predict
Before it happened my 13 year old daughteris that smart.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cannot root for another team
Will deal, as he is our Qb for the foreseeable future

Though I gave up sunday ticket when we signed him
Live in Charlotte so don't get most Browns games on tv

1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
That’s the only thing keeping me here. I don’t know how I could root for another team. But I may have to adopt a 2nd team just to enjoy something on Sundays. I’ll give Watson this year to prove himself, but if he doesn’t and we are strapped with him, I’ll treat it like the move 2.0.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I feel you OCD my friend

Been texting Columbusdawg and told him

I hope this isn't hell and eternity is going to be a Browns fan

Reliving all the Brown fans memories

LOL !

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
That’s the only thing keeping me here. I don’t know how I could root for another team. But I may have to adopt a 2nd team just to enjoy something on Sundays. I’ll give Watson this year to prove himself, but if he doesn’t and we are strapped with him, I’ll treat it like the move 2.0.

I've ripped on too many bandwagon Bengals and Chargers fans to adopt a second team.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
jc

Watson is going to set this team back 10 years. We're stuck with him for 4 years. Then when he is finally gone, we're looking at another 3-5 year rebuilding plan. Sad that all the suffering of the 1-31 seasons has come to this, more suffering.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Squires #2029066 09/19/23 09:50 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
There is absolutely zero reason to stick with any element of the offense that doesn't cater to Watson's strengths. Shotgun/pistol all day and find a RB that can work with that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
2 members like this: ThomasE, lampdogg
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

I've ripped on too many bandwagon Bengals and Chargers fans to adopt a second team.

I like the Chargers. They are my bestie's team so I follow them a lot.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
Interesting question to consider: how will we change things up, now that our best player is done for the season? Ford had some good runs but we need another back.

Chubb is done for the year, we have to get over it, so now what? We still can excel at the run game because we’re built for that. Suddenly D’Ernest looks appealing doesn’t he?

but this is where Watson has to earn his big money, it’s where Stefanski earns another season.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Not sure how many of you have access to The Athletic ... they did an article about how/why Watson wasn't ejected for shoving the official... comments are hilarious.

https://theathletic.com/4879373/202...?source=ukdailyemail&campaign=711528

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Watson is more responsible for our bad plays than anything else. He holds onto the freaking ball and can't read anything post-snap. And that's not to mention the inaccuracy we've seen.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns were facing 4th down in 1st qtr needing just 12 inches for the 1st down...ball was on the Steelers 43 yd line...

What was the play call that Stefanski sent in...anyone..?

mac #2029090 09/20/23 08:18 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Browns were facing 4th down in 1st qtr needing just 12 inches for the 1st down...ball was on the Steelers 43 yd line...

an option play HAHA ... with the play before that being some abortion as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
mac #2029094 09/20/23 08:41 AM
Legend
Legend
The wrong one.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

Should the Browns Brass be held responsible for calling the play that resulted in the Watson fumble?

The Browns will never win a damn thing if the Browns Brass continues to call STUPID PLAYS like the triple option that STEFANSKI CALLED, with the offense facing 4th down and needing only 12 INCHES to make the 1st down (at the 25 second mark in the 1st qtr with the Browns driving).

Watson should not be held responsible for a Browns coaching staff that is determined to play Stupid Football for reasons they refuse to answer for.

Simple question for Stefanski...why did you call a triple option play when the offense was facing 4th down and 12 inches toward the end of the 1st qtr?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Watson is more responsible for our bad plays than anything else. He holds onto the freaking ball and can't read anything post-snap. And that's not to mention the inaccuracy we've seen.

Agreed.

And I think his propensity to run with the ball is problematic because he tends to put his head down and loses sight of his receivers. When he looks up to get rid of the ball, it's doubly tough trying to see what the receivers have done (perhaps re-routing) adjusting to him running.

Maybe I'm wrong and he has kept his head up when pressured but that's what I remember.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by lampdogg
Suddenly D’Ernest looks appealing doesn’t he?

Does he? Asking an honest question.

I have been told on here a couple times that running out of the gun isn't something most backs like to do. It's not something I totally understand having not played the game, but it's been said enough times that I've taken it as a truth as I continue to learn about the game.

I think if we are going to go out and get a RB that's going to be looked at as "the guy" this year, he's probably not just going to be a poor man's Chubb (snicker). I would expect that, if our offense is going to start looking different, the RB we pick up is going to look different too. Interestingly, I wonder if Hunt is actually the one that fits the bill (good at passblocking and catching out of the backfield, maybe good running out of the gun (?)).

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
another concern of mine: Watson seems to be really pressing and in his own head too. And that can keep continuing to spiral downwards. At some point we need him to make some big plays and gather some momentum

M
Legend
Legend
M
another concern of mine: Watson seems to be really pressing and in his own head too. And that can keep continuing to spiral downwards. At some point we need him to make some big plays and gather some momentum

He's broken mentally. He's a villain. Something he has never dealt with before. Outside of Cleveland, in the NFL world, he is hated.

If he plays like trash against the Titans the boos will rain down in Browns stadium. Things could get bad fast.

His mechanics have not been good either.

We are witnessing worst case scenario with Watson. The Browns need a win Sunday to keep this from spiraling.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ugly press

Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora

"You get the feeling a lot of the guys hate Watson, for good reason, and he can't take being a heel. Shoulda been thrown out of the game already. He's a joke."

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
mac #2029116 09/20/23 10:05 AM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by mac

Should the Browns Brass be held responsible for calling the play that resulted in the Watson fumble?

The Browns will never win a damn thing if the Browns Brass continues to call STUPID PLAYS like the triple option that STEFANSKI CALLED, with the offense facing 4th down and needing only 12 INCHES to make the 1st down (at the 25 second mark in the 1st qtr with the Browns driving).

Watson should not be held responsible for a Browns coaching staff that is determined to play Stupid Football for reasons they refuse to answer for.

Simple question for Stefanski...why did you call a triple option play when the offense was facing 4th down and 12 inches toward the end of the 1st qtr?

You answer your own question!

We can call it whatever we want but the end result witness of incompetence. There’s no other word to use when describing a HC who time after time after time keep on repeating similar mistakes game after game. My opinion is crystal clear. With Stefanski at the wheel we’re going nowhere. He’s a good school teacher, not an elite HC on NFL level.

The same has to be said about our GM.

Berry and his staff didn’t properly do their due diligence and what’s worse they didn’t fully factor that maybe his off the field shortcomings was sprung from his mental weaknesses. The signs was there for all to see for those who was willing to look at it with honest minds. Now it been exposed in game moments and he has showing lapses in his impulse control and it’s all there again to see and if last game is anything to go at we also saw a elite paid QB with a slow thought process who panicking when the storm was coming. Not to mention weak pocket awareness and a bunch of inaccurate passings. Not what to expect from a $230M fully guaranteed salary player who has been described as a elite talent. This isn’t solely his fault because he arrived with high expectations but in the end the real blame is on the Browns decision maker.

As it stands now and if nothing changes in the future this will go to history as one of the worst contracts ever signed by a NFL franchise. We as fans has to expect better from those who get royal salaries mostly from our pockets. With so high compensations comes total accountability and I can’t say Berry and Stefanski deserves especially high praises for their jobs as as it stands. If this season ends without a play off run it’s a failure and heads has to roll.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
j/c...

pretty much what I assumed

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
There is absolutely zero reason to stick with any element of the offense that doesn't cater to Watson's strengths. Shotgun/pistol all day and find a RB that can work with that.

right now his strengths are meditating on the sideline, moving poorly in the pocket, scrambling when someone gets within 3 feet of him, runs into sacks, holds onto the ball too long because he reads a defense like an 8th grader, he fumbles often, he keeps missing receivers by 5 yards because he gets lazy with his throwing motion and he stays tall.

Obviously, Stefanski has a lot to work with.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by steve0255
Ugly press

Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora

"You get the feeling a lot of the guys hate Watson, for good reason, and he can't take being a heel. Shoulda been thrown out of the game already. He's a joke."

The press hates him. I don't think the players do. For crying out loud there have been rapists (Big Ben) and murderers (Ray Lewis) in the NFL. Watson was not even accused of those kind of crimes. Does he need to play better? Yes, he does. but this take is just plain silly!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
mac #2029151 09/20/23 11:52 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac

No, watson should be blamed for not securing the ball.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Last year through 6-games, it was blamed totally on rust. This year after a full off season, improved skill players, OTAs, preseason and 2 regular season games - Watson's performance has gotten worse. To date, Watson has been paid $91.047M for those 8 games played or $11.381M per game played thus far.

Deshaun Watson needs to play better, and Kevin Stefanski needs to make adjustments. Out of 35 QBs with 200 passing attempts since the start of 2022, he’s:

33rd in yards/attempt (just below Carson Wentz)

33rd in passer rating (just below Davis Mills)

34th in sack rate (with arguably the best OL in football)

34th in completion % (57.3%)

Since 2000, these are the 17 QB's with 8 or more starts completion %
1. Brissett 64.0% - 11 starts
2. Kessler 63.8% - 8 starts
3. Holcomb 63.7% - 12 starts
4. Frye 62.4% - 19 starts
5. Mayfield 61.6% - 59 starts
6. J. McCown 60.4% - 11 starts
7. Couch 59.8% - 45 starts
8. Dilfer 59.8% - 11 starts
9. McCoy 58.3% - 21 starts
10. Watson 57.3% - 8 starts