Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He finished last season giving the Browns what Mayfield did. He was 3 wins and 3 losses with 58.2 completion %, 1,102 yards for 183 yards per game, 7 TD's and 5 int's and a QB Rating of 79.1. He was not garbage he just was not the upgrade from Mayfield the Browns had hoped for. So far, this year he has 2 wins and 1 loss with a 63.7 completion %, 678 yards for 226 yards per game, 4 TD's and 2 int's and a QB Rating of 87.8%. Improving but not there yet.

Baker's last year with the Browns was 8 wins and 9 loss record. Although, I think our back-up beat both the Bronco's and Bengals that year so he went 6 wins and 9 losses with a 60.5 completion %, 3,010 yards for 215 yards per game, 17 TD's and 13 Int's, and a QB rating of 83.1.

His best year was 2020 where he had 11 wins and 5 losses with a 62.8 completion %, 3,563 yards for 223 yards per game, 26 TD's and only 8 int's, a QB Rating of 95.9.

DeShaun's floor is around Baker's ceiling. He is already putting up Baker numbers we expected an upgrade and so far, have not got that. If you want to say he has not been a Baker upgrade, I agree. To say he has been putrid is just not true.

We all want Watson to be special and hope he will. Yesterday's performance was a step in the right direction, but he needs to string a few games like that together before we say he is back to that form. I do believe he has that talent. I've seen it when he played in college winning a National Championship and in Houston making 3 pro bowls and leading the NFL in passing yards. I don't believe those that say he will never get that back. He is still young, and those media types just are rooting against him because of his off the field stuff.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
mac #2030591 09/25/23 03:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am not going to say I am right and you are wrong. It makes no difference that he played safety. He was the OC with the Vikings.

I disagree with you. I think he does play to the strengths of his players specifically quarterbacks.

I think he got the most from Cousins, Baker, and Jacoby. We shall see how this season goes with DW.

IMO everyone will gripe about play calls. So, I don't care. When they work great. When they don't people holler.

KS is the head coach for this season. If we have a good season; IMO KS remains. We shall see.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The play calling was very good yesterday. We brought them in early to open the middle and deep.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
interesting...

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/new...and-browns-could-deshaun-watson-contract

Steelers Rival Browns Could Get Out of Deshaun Watson Contract
A loophole has opened up for Pittsburgh Steelers rivals Cleveland Browns to avoid Deshaun Watson's guarantees.

PITTSBURGH -- During the Pittsburgh Steelers Week 2 win over the Cleveland Browns, quarterback Deshaun Watson accumulated three fines for violations on the field, sparking a conversation about his future with the team and a potential loophole to release him.

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, the Browns could have a way to void Watson's future guarantees if the league suspends him for on-field infractions. The five-year, $230 million contract is fully guaranteed by Cleveland.

Now, the specifics of the suspension would play a key role in the contract. If Watson is suspended for only one game, or because of non-egregious conduct, his guarantees stay in place. However, the team determines if the suspension is due to egregious conduct.

This past week, Watson was fined for two face mask penalties and then for a "violent gesture" made on the field. Currently, there is no talk of suspension, but that could, and likely would, change if he continues accumulating penalties for these same issues.

Watson has $138 million in guarantees remaining in his contract, which runs through 2026. Through two games this season, Watson has completed 38 of 69 passes for 389 yards and two touchdowns with two interceptions.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
There is no reason to open up a can of worms. DW played well yesterday and we all hope that it continues. I think at this point there should be no discussion about getting out of his contract.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
There is no reason to open up a can of worms. DW played well yesterday and we all hope that it continues. I think at this point there should be no discussion about getting out of his contract.

I don't think we should I just think it's interesting that he has those clauses

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

I don't think we should I just think it's interesting that he has those clauses

Most teams have standard language in all of their contracts for voiding guarantees.
link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think Watson will actually be a better QB without Chubb in the lineup.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I think Watson will actually be a better QB without Chubb in the lineup.
well, we just have to worry about his skillset now ... not marrying him with Chubb. So I agree

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by Greenbayfan
I haven’t followed Watson much but how is he doing this year so far?

The only QB balling out the gate is Tua. When comparing Watson to the rest of the field, he’s doing fine.

No he hasn’t. Yesterday was the first time since he’s been here that he didn’t look like a lost backup QB. Dude has been putrid for us until yesterday. I just hope yesterday wasn’t an anomaly and he starts earning that contract. He gave us basically the same game decent Baker would give us. No upgrade seen yet. But at least I’m not thinking the Browns got duped and the next three years we’ll be stuck with a dud anymore. I’ve now seen he’s capable of starting QB play. So my next question is, can he do that consistently and can he improve upon that? When we can answer both of those questions with yes, I’ll feel much better about him. Until then, he’s a question mark in my book.

The same game decent Baker would give us??

banghead rofl

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
[quote]I disagree with you. I think he does play to the strengths of his players specifically quarterbacks.

Eli Moore is not a RB and why would the Browns try to feature him as a RB when they have better RBs on the bench.

I thought KS gave up on the run early in the game when he should have been utilizing all 3 of RBs...Hunt, Ford and Strong.

No need to panic...thankfully KS was a bit more balanced in the second half.

The Browns went out and traded for Strong Jr...we need to see more of him and little less Eli Moore as a RB, imo.

One game against a poor Titans team doesn't tell us a whole lot. It's a win and we certainly will take those all we can get.

The Browns defense had a good game as did Watson..except for the deep handoff.

Last edited by mac; 09/25/23 07:59 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2030651 09/25/23 09:12 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
[quote]I disagree with you. I think he does play to the strengths of his players specifically quarterbacks.

Eli Moore is not a RB and why would the Browns try to feature him as a RB when they have better RBs on the bench.

I thought KS gave up on the run early in the game when he should have been utilizing all 3 of RBs...Hunt, Ford and Strong.

No need to panic...thankfully KS was a bit more balanced in the second half.

The Browns went out and traded for Strong Jr...we need to see more of him and little less Eli Moore as a RB, imo.

One game against a poor Titans team doesn't tell us a whole lot. It's a win and we certainly will take those all we can get.

The Browns defense had a good game as did Watson..except for the deep handoff.

I agree with Moore. I think we are trying a little too hard to get him the ball to prove a point. If he is good enough, the point will be proven over the course of the season, not in the first 3 games trying to manufacture touches.

You have to give opportunities, but those touches don't have to be an array of razzle dazzle plays. I agree, just put him out there as a receiver and get him the ball downfield. He is just running Anthony Schwartz plays the team could never run with him on the roster. I don't want to see him as a running back. he has already run near a seasons worth of those. Screw that. I don't want him to be the bubble screen guy.....send him out on routes.

I think he had 9 catches for 40 or so yards. That sucks. Lets get him catching some balls 10-15 yards down field. I can't think of the guys name, he played for us a few years and saw a few plays a game. He went to New England and maybe made a pro-bowl or two. If not, he was a big past of the patriots passing attack. This was maybe 10-12 years ago. Moore reminds me of him.

Anyway, I agree. Give the ball to Strong if you aren't going to run Ford or Hunt before you line up Moore as a back. I am a SEC fan and was a big fan of Moore when playing for Ole Miss. They had good teams there when he played and he played well against SEC competition. It's not like he can't play receiver.

Quit the rinky dink crap.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he had 9 catches for 40 or so yards. That sucks. Lets get him catching some balls 10-15 yards down field. I can't think of the guys name, he played for us a few years and saw a few plays a game. He went to New England and maybe made a pro-bowl or two. If not, he was a big part of the patriots passing attack. This was maybe 10-12 years ago. Moore reminds me of him.

...I've gone back 20 years through our and the Patriots' roster, and I still have no idea who you are thinking of.

Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
David Patten?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Off the top of my head….David Patten?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Patten played for us in 2000. Time flies.

Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by lampdogg
David Patten?

Yes

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Patten played for us in 2000. Time flies.

It does, and the older you get, the faster it flies. 10-12 years, 23 years, it all starts to run together.

Just goes to show how the days are long but the years are short. I put in endless 14 hour days hammering out the work, feeling like they would never end, and now a decade or two ago feels like last year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quit the rinky dink crap.

AMEN !!!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mac #2030697 09/26/23 07:14 AM
Legend
Legend
Post game from the Bengals I stated that I do like Moore in the backfield unless he is a decoy.

He is 5'10" 180 lbs. He is not a running back. In fact I want to see him get downfield more. He is a receiver. He has top speed and can create separation. He should be in the slot and at Y. Sure put him in motion. I know they want to get him in space for yac.

But he is not a break away runner. He is no Debo.

KS wants to compensate for the loss of Nick. IMO trust Ford. Use Kareem in screens. Use Njoku more.

No head coach is going to do what we all want them to do. KS is far from perfect. But we have to bear in mind he sees more and knows more about the team than we do.

In the end his career is about wins. That is the game. We have a good team. I believe in the team and KS.

I am hoping to have a great season.

Legend
Legend
David Patten (he was actually good for us for a short stretch lol)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

And then a couple of productive years for the Patriots.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Sometimes when I'm bored I'll watch our games from like 2000-2003 and realize that we actually had some pretty good talent ... KJ, Cutt, Davis, Morgan was an awesome WR corps. Pretty good defense and front 7 too. We coulda been better

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
Legend
Legend
Error "I do "Not" like Moore in the backfield.

It will be really interesting to see what happens if the Browns beat the Ravens and then the
49'ers.

Of course all us fans will be hollering.

I wonder how the outside media will handle it? They don't want a thing to do with us.

Through three weeks the Browns defense is a real story. Slight mention by the media. But man they will talk about the Cowboys till their tongues fall off. And of course KC with Kelce and Taylor Swift along with Mahomes. They will jump at any hot story or team. But it is clear they do not want to talk about the Browns.

Yet through the first three weeks the real story is The Browns defense.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by bonefish
Error "I do "Not" like Moore in the backfield.

It will be really interesting to see what happens if the Browns beat the Ravens and then the
49'ers.

Of course all us fans will be hollering.

I wonder how the outside media will handle it? They don't want a thing to do with us.

Through three weeks the Browns defense is a real story. Slight mention by the media. But man they will talk about the Cowboys till their tongues fall off. And of course KC with Kelce and Taylor Swift along with Mahomes. They will jump at any hot story or team. But it is clear they do not want to talk about the Browns.

Yet through the first three weeks the real story is The Browns defense.

That's fine tghey can fly under the radar a few more weeks. Win the next two and the media will not ignore them any longer. Loss and the media will continue to think anything positive the Browns do is still a non story.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
R
Legend
Legend
R
I worked from home yesterday and watched all the talk shows. I can't remember a single one talking about the Browns except for Florio and Sims.

Screw 'em.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
Post game from the Bengals I stated that I do like Moore in the backfield unless he is a decoy.

He is 5'10" 180 lbs. He is not a running back. In fact I want to see him get downfield more. He is a receiver. He has top speed and can create separation. He should be in the slot and at Y. Sure put him in motion. I know they want to get him in space for yac.

But he is not a break away runner. He is no Debo.

KS wants to compensate for the loss of Nick. IMO trust Ford. Use Kareem in screens. Use Njoku more.

No head coach is going to do what we all want them to do. KS is far from perfect. But we have to bear in mind he sees more and knows more about the team than we do.

In the end his career is about wins. That is the game. We have a good team. I believe in the team and KS.

I am hoping to have a great season.

I don't think the run plays by Moore necessarily stand alone in Kevin's mind. I think he may be trying to get teams to keep a LB (or even a S instead of CB) on the field when Moore is back there to get a matchup he wants on a pass concept later. By showing the run, defenses have to prepare to defend it. He may have a tendency breaker in mind to try to get a chunk play later, much like the Ford "sluggo" TD.

Fiercely Independent.
2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, Milk Man
Legend
Legend
I thought about that as well.

There could be something to that.

I think KS believes he will need to compensate for the loss of Nick. The plan through camp was to use Moore in many ways.

So, I understand but I believe his value is in the slot. Also, I think they should take some deep shots with Moore.

The way I am seeing this offense without Nick is: Be diverse. Use everyone. We have a good mix of talent at multiple positions. Spread the ball around.

Rishuz #2030744 09/26/23 11:04 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I worked from home yesterday and watched all the talk shows. I can't remember a single one talking about the Browns except for Florio and Sims.

Screw 'em.

Bill Simmons talked about the Browns quite a bit on his podcast yesterday. Beginning at about the ~12min mark...

https://www.theringer.com/the-bill-...s-agony-and-week-4-lines-with-cousin-sal

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Seems he was real good for NE for a few years. Not sure if he made a pro bowl, but was near good enough to have made one. Seems like 850 yards receiving....maybe 8 TD's as a high mark, but several seasonsaround 700-800 yards. Pretty productive guy. Maybe played for the giants as well.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
I don't think the run plays by Moore necessarily stand alone in Kevin's mind. I think he may be trying to get teams to keep a LB (or even a S instead of CB) on the field when Moore is back there to get a matchup he wants on a pass concept later. By showing the run, defenses have to prepare to defend it. He may have a tendency breaker in mind to try to get a chunk play later, much like the Ford "sluggo" TD.

This.

Different looks, giving the defense more to think about and setting up other plays with the formation. I'm fine with him in the backfield.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Didn't he play CB in the playoffs/SB the one year b/c they were short-handed?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Didn't he play CB in the playoffs/SB the one year b/c they were short-handed?

That was Troy Brown.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ah, thats right. Thanks Milk.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Good to know there is an out if DW becomes a bad actor on the field. But he is Jimmy’s golden boy QB, so he’s safe I’d say.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I think only the Browns' Rivals and their fans, aka steelers, ravens, bengals, and the new york market would want to rush D. Watson out of his contract with the Browns.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C
Browns coach Kevin Stefanski clarified on Monday that Deshaun Watson was medically cleared to face the Ravens by team doctors, and that it was his call to rest his bruised right shoulder.

This is hilarious to me... Some will say he had every right to set but I'm glad that after 40+ years I called it quits on the Browns. This is the first time I've been back to this site in 2 years but I couldn't resist. Anyone that believes Watson is going to be the savior is crazy 🤣🤣

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Moxdawg #2032328 10/03/23 02:59 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Moxdawg
J/C
Browns coach Kevin Stefanski clarified on Monday that Deshaun Watson was medically cleared to face the Ravens by team doctors, and that it was his call to rest his bruised right shoulder.

This is hilarious to me... Some will say he had every right to set but I'm glad that after 40+ years I called it quits on the Browns. This is the first time I've been back to this site in 2 years but I couldn't resist. Anyone that believes Watson is going to be the savior is crazy 🤣🤣

Is anyone surprised? Not me and it will probably happen again when results go south.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no idea what you mean about things "going south". Just the week before watson went 27-33 for 2td's, 289 yards and 2 td's. They won 27-3. Is that what you call things going south?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
No, he probably means that we’ve saw one decent game out of DW and even though he was cleared to play he didn’t… I had these thoughts before this hit the record, now confirmed, I find DW lacking any and all moxie. What I wouldn’t give to have Baker back under center… DW will set us back 20 years before it’s all over. I hate that trade.

3 members like this: Tackman, Moxdawg, Floquinho
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard