Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ford is not a featured back. He's a decent backup

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

What says that? I don't think the stats do

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O

Today, no. But he's taken steps in each game this year. His slow and steady progress is nice to watch.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Ford made a really nice move on his TD catch. Nice nuanced route

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Our OL hasn't played very well. Ford's been able to turn negative plays into positive plays multiple times. There were times when he was navigating traffic at or behind the LOS that I thought he looked quite Chubb-like. I don't think he has the pure power of Chubb, but he's done rather well, imo.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
G
Rookie
Rookie
G
I’m truly sorry about Chubb guys. That just sucks. I still think you guys can make the playoffs. Your defense is looking tough.

1 member likes this: Pdawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure why anyone thinks this FO would sign a FA RB to a four million dollar contract to spell a guy who is playing at a fraction of that cost. If all they were looking for was a utility back to spell the starter they could have found a much cheaper option to play that role.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Ford has 160 yards with a 3.8 YPC and 50% of his yards to date have come on one play. Remove that one play... he's basically averaging what he did last year 2.25 YPC.

Meanwhile, Chubb was averaging 6.1 YPC with the same OL and a long of 20.

P
Legend
Legend
P
How many NFL RB numbers compare to Nick Chubb?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
How many NFL RB numbers compare to Nick Chubb?
lol, like zero

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I'm not sure why anyone thinks this FO would sign a FA RB to a four million dollar contract to spell a guy who is playing at a fraction of that cost. If all they were looking for was a utility back to spell the starter they could have found a much cheaper option to play that role.

Most $4 mill backups I would agree, but I think Hunt brings a "reckless abandon" to this team. Just how hard he runs and yesterday when he hurdled tacklers, I think it brings some aggressiveness energy and enthusiasm to the offense.

Time will tell if it was a smart move, but to me he brought something beyond just his carries yesterday.

Just my opinion, and I am certainly no expert. I was even of the opinion before we signed him that Hunt had lost a step, hopefully it turns out to be a wise addition.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with you to a point. I just think to bring reckless abandon to a team you must do it on the field. That's why I don't think they just shelled out $4 mil. for a backup to Ford.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, the good news is the contract is really 1.5 million. That's a good deal for us. I think it was an attitude signing more than anything, so I agree

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Well, the good news is the contract is really 1.5 million. That's a good deal for us. I think it was an attitude signing more than anything, so I agree

Also, a mentor signing since Ford is a young player and just lost Chubb. His experience is needed since we lost Chubb's experience. I am not sure why Hunt is a debate. It was a good pick up and we were lucky he was still available. He produced yesterday with less than 1 week of preparation.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
The debate is how large his role is intended to be.

FWIW, I don't really buy the story that Hunt has lost a step. He definitely had a down year last season and looked sluggish, but IMO he's not old enough and doesn't have enough miles on him to be breaking down like that. He had the monster rookie year, but then didn't play a full season after that (suspension). It took him a couple seasons here to get up to heavier usage as he's always been the backup.

He's not 30 yet, and he hasn't even gone over 1k carries for his pro career.

I think he was dinged or something last year that was making him look bad.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
good points

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I don't really disagree with you to a point. I just think to bring reckless abandon to a team you must do it on the field. That's why I don't think they just shelled out $4 mil. for a backup to Ford.

When opposing defensive players look at our RB roster and see Ford… it raises no eyebrows. He hasn’t earned respect or fear. Not saying he won’t, but right now opposing LB’rs aren’t worried about being gashed by Ford. When those same defensive players see Hunt on the field… they have to have a different level of respect. He’s earned it. They know if they mess up he can gash them.
Having Hunt in our stable of backs brought back some level of legitimacy, respect, and fear that was lost when Chubb went down.
They psychological aspect has to be considered.

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Greenbayfan
I’m truly sorry about Chubb guys. That just sucks. I still think you guys can make the playoffs. Your defense is looking tough.

Welcome to the board! Thank you, we can only hope. Nice W yesterday. We have seen that type of collapse before from the D coordinator you went up against.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg

When opposing defensive players look at our RB roster and see Ford… it raises no eyebrows. He hasn’t earned respect or fear. Not saying he won’t, but right now opposing LB’rs aren’t worried about being gashed by Ford. When those same defensive players see Hunt on the field… they have to have a different level of respect. He’s earned it. They know if they mess up he can gash them.
Having Hunt in our stable of backs brought back some level of legitimacy, respect, and fear that was lost when Chubb went down.
They psychological aspect has to be considered.

I'm fine with defensive players sleeping on Ford and giving him easy TDs. Just saying.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
B
Legend
Legend
B

Ford has 160 yards with a 3.8 YPC and 50% of his yards to date have come on one play. Remove that one play... he's basically averaging what he did last year 2.25 YPC.

How do you remove a run?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Plus , he had a lot of garbage-time carries versus Cinci, when they knew we’d be running. The Yards per rush average is somewhat misleading. He’s made some plays for us, say my eyeballs

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

How do you remove a run?

you remove the outlier on each side (good and bad) to get a better representation of his expected output.

He is playing like a 2.25 ypc back.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

2 members like this: PitDAWG, jfanent
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hunt will be good for us. His personality is good for a team

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

How do you remove a run?

you remove the outlier on each side (good and bad) to get a better representation of his expected output.

He is playing like a 2.25 ypc back.

That's one way of looking at it. Your sample size isn't very big.

He's also a TD a game RB so far. Caught 5 for 58.

Ford was also playing against teams known for their defense. Plus, we haven't really had a ton of time where we've been primarily game planning to fit his skill set. Came in after Chubb went down in week two, then had a short week after the Monday night game.

Hunt had a 6 carry for 9 yard game, 4 for 6 yards game, and 7 for 8 yards game last year. Was he playing like a sub-2 yard per carry back? Is he "not a featured back?"

I think it's much too soon to say whether Ford is or is not a featured back.

Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hunt is in my top 5 players since the return. Joe t, Nick Chubb, Myles Garret, Hunt, Teller. Bitonio is 6th.

I love that Hunt wants to be here and rep his hometown.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/26/23 04:23 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt

Link Copied to Clipboard