Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Do you think the hit was dirty or a clean NFL hit?

Minkah Fitzpatrick hit on Chubb (Dirty or Clean?)
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: 09/23/23 12:39 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the better question would be was the hit an intentional attempt to injure Chubb. Which I don't think it was. Or maybe even better yet, was the hit a legal NFL hit. Which I think it was.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
There is nothing about pittsburgh that isn't dirty.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I think the better question would be was the hit an intentional attempt to injure Chubb. Which I don't think it was. Or maybe even better yet, was the hit a legal NFL hit. Which I also think it was.

Legal, yes...necessary, no. Chubb was stopped and wouldn't have got the TD, maybe another half yard. Sad part is we'll now know what life is like without Chubb on our team since he was in the the last year of his contract and probably wouldn't have been resigned.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually his current contract exists through next season. Next season will be the last year of his contract. Chubb is a very hard man to tackle. In real time I think it's hard for a player not to hit a player like Chubb because they "think he might only get another half a yard and not actually score a TD." It's easy to see on replay but not so much during the actual action on the field.

I'm not happy about the injury to Chubb. He an Myles are my two favorite players on the Browns roster and IMO he is the heart and soul of the O. Nothing saddens me more. But at the same time I'm not going to try and create a villain to blame for it. Football s a hard fought, physical sport that includes a lot of injuries. While it's sad that Chubb was injured, I don't think Fitzpatrick was acting as some hit man out to purposefully injure Chubb.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Dude launched himself into a surge of football players. I won't say he was trying to injure someone, I will say it was reckless.

NFL needs to finish it's job of protecting players from unnecessary injury. When attempting to tackle a runner, you can only leave your feet when chasing from behind. Being able to turn yourself into a 250+ pound guided missile, legally, is absurd.

Last edited by FATE; 09/23/23 10:08 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's football. Recklessness is pretty much a requirement. It sucks what happened, but the alternative is basically flag football. People have tried (and failed) to tackle Chubb similarly probably hundreds of times. This time a bunch of dice rolls just all came up wrong.

250 pound guided missiles is the game in a nutshell. Make it illegal and you might as well watch soccer. thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
B
Legend
Legend
B
A good DB goes low on a big back like Chubb.

The guy was trying to get the guy down before he got in the endzone. If i started a poll asking if people thought Fitzparick could have stopped Chubb if he tried to tackle him around the shoulder pads, the results would be 100% no.

Come on....lets be real here. I for one have lived through too many Browns DB's who tried to make a high hit and simply bounce off and the back or receiver keep going.

Do you people even watch games?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
O
Legend
Legend
O
'Clean' is too strong a word, but it wasn't dirty.

Chubb eats guys for breakfast that try to tackle him up high. DBs go low on him all the time (I know because I gasp every time I see it). I'd love to hear about the NFL taking a look at this hit and trying to figure out a safer way to play the game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
It was 100% reckless. If it wasn't you'd see it happen a lot more.

Fitzpatrick chose to make a play where injury had a higher probability in lieu of that player scoring a TD.

It was a conscious decision that had an expected outcome. If he played clean football and tackled soundly and Chubb got injured that would have been a much lower than expected outcome. It's just interesting that the guy is being defended for diving at a guys knees in the name of not allowing the TD when the outcome of what would happen was pretty certain injury.

Again, ask yourself, how often does this type of thing happen?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Saying it was not an illegal hit isn't a defense. It's a point of fact.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Rishuz
It was 100% reckless. If it wasn't you'd see it happen a lot more.

Fitzpatrick chose to make a play where injury had a higher probability in lieu of that player scoring a TD.

It was a conscious decision that had an expected outcome. If he played clean football and tackled soundly and Chubb got injured that would have been a much lower than expected outcome. It's just interesting that the guy is being defended for diving at a guys knees in the name of not allowing the TD when the outcome of what would happen was pretty certain injury.

Again, ask yourself, how often does this type of thing happen?

The "play" he chose to "make," probably happens more than you would think. The RB is just usually better able to avoid the contact directly to the knee. A half a second sooner or later and the outcome is likely different. Unfortunately, multiple people were making near instantaneous decisions at that moment. They all came together in a horrific way.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Legend
Legend
R
If that were true you would see more injuries like Chubbs.

Fitzpatrick could not tackle Chubb with sound football technique so he chose a method with a high probability of injury.

And you have people here celebrating it in the name of not allowing a TD.

1 member likes this: FATE
O
Legend
Legend
O
Your characterization of "people here celebrating it" is about as accurate as how you see the hit. Dudes go low on Chubb all the time. At least a couple times a game. The difference here is that his leg was planted and didn't slip like it/they usually do.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
He obviously can't show the hit was illegal or against any NFL rules so he only has hyperbole to rely on.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Dirty

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I watched the hit that the Denver safety, Kareem Jackson had this weekend on Josh Dobbs reminded me of Ryan Shazier's hit against the Bengals that left him paralyzed on the field. Completely lead with his helmet.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk K-9 Consensus Minkah Fitzpatrick hit on Chubb

Link Copied to Clipboard