Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2030828 09/26/23 09:32 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is a pretty important game for both teams. The winner has a big advantage in the division/playoff race ... the loser is a bit more challenged.

What do we have to do to give us the best chance to win? A few of my thoughts:

- Keep Lamar in the pocket and stay disciplined with rush lanes
- Take away Andrews and Flowers as best we can ... those guys are his go-to dudes
- Avoid any splash plays for them defensively (just like I said against Pittsburgh) .. they thrive on turnovers, sacks, etc. Just take care of it.
- Special teams are a hidden battle against Baltimore .. Harbaugh's specialty. We gotta win the field position and penalty battle on STs

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #2030832 09/26/23 10:11 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
On Defence:

Keeping Lamar in the pocket is a good starting point.
Stay out of the penalty box, don’t give them free plays. Our D needs to do what they’ve been doing. I know it’s three games in but how awesome is it that our defence is killing it?

On Offence: I don’t know their strengths on d, but limit turnovers, let DW play ball but put this game in the hands of our d. DW and Amari are developing chemistry so I’d like to see that continue.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawgs4Life #2030833 09/26/23 10:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A poster posted about how he was listening to the radio

And no one on the sports shows or talking heads were mentioning the Browns

Talking about the Cowboys and the Kelce / Swift thing

I'm happy for that, no more believing in the press hype

That looks great on paper

The last few seasons the press hype had the Browns walking away with winning divisional championships

never happened They bought in to it and it showed

less the talk the more this team looks better

Tune out the outside noise

Hopefully soon the question will be

How can the Ravens beat the Browns ?!

The team is believing in themselves

That's how they win !

Dawgs4Life #2030834 09/26/23 10:24 PM
A
Legend
Legend
A
Play well. No turnovers against us.

On the flip side, imagine what the ravens are thinking about how to play O against this d.

1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Dawgs4Life #2030837 09/26/23 11:16 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
With our D, playing the field position game in important. I think Stefanski is just starting to understand this...it's a new concept in Cleveland. I don't want to hear booing if we opt to punt rather than go for it on 4th and 1 or try a 53 yard FG. Keeping a game down at their end of the field is never a bad thing.

Keep them punting from their 18 and you keep getting the ball on your 45. That generally increases your win odds.

After that, the normal stuff. Don't fumble at the wrong time. Don't throw a pick at the wrong time. Protecting the ball is always a key. No dead ball penalties. Action penalties are going to happen. There is no excuse for pre-snap or dead ball penalties. That is just being stupid.

If we don't beat ourselves, we should be able to beat them up at home.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawgs4Life #2030841 09/27/23 08:23 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree Peen .. field position in these close games is paramount. Our defense is a weapon and teams will not want to be pinned back

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #2030862 09/27/23 10:17 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think this is going to be our defense's first real test. I hate sounding like this, but I'm emotionally preparing myself for this game to take a little of the shine off of our D. Lamar is a different cat and will require a different approach. Dline has to be more disciplined and they need to be more setting up big plays for the LBs and secondary. Our (thus far) exemplary tackling will be challenged.

IMO, another stellar defensive performance will have our secondary and LBs making big plays. I don't expect a huge stat line for Garrett and co. but they're going to play a huge part in containing Lamar's scrambling.

Honestly, offense just needs to not do what it did vs Pittsburgh. I would expect a similar defensive strategy to be deployed against us. We need to start with easy plays and getting the ball into our playmaker's hands in space and start building offensive momentum that way. Stay disciplined in terms of running the ball, even when it doesn't work early.

Our offense is still a work in progress. We need to limit the Ravens offense early to allow our O to gain momentum. Offense needs to start with small positive plays and build on those. Stupid decisions early on can't happen.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
On the flip side, imagine what the ravens are thinking about how to play O against this d.

If we overpursue in trying to hit/sack Lamar, that's going to bite us in the butt. I think they're hoping we are going to try to accomplish the same thing we did against the likes of Burrow, Pickett, and Tannehill.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawgs4Life #2030864 09/27/23 10:25 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree. I expect them to use our aggressiveness against us. Gotta stay disciplined in this one

Dawgs4Life #2030881 09/27/23 11:22 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I worry about over aggressiveness in theory. I think we might overwhelm their depleted/beaten up roster in reality. There is always the chance of Lamar going Lamar, but we've had lots of bodies around the QB so far. Its not just Myles in the backfield by himself any more.

We can't give them any cheap coverage busts in the back end, but I think we need to stick to the "new" aggressive identity in the front 7.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #2030900 09/27/23 12:48 PM
Legend
Legend
The formula remains the same.

Pressure and coverage.

How they will accomplish that may change some. Lamar's throwing weakness is "outs." The deep outs in particular. His strength throwing are the shallow cross and seam routes to the TE.

I am expecting man on the boundaries and zone in the middle. Because if you play man in the middle the defenders back is turned. Which will leave Lamar room to run in the middle.

They could spy Lamar with JOK and or Delpit. I think we will rush mostly four but will add a fifth guy occasionally. They will use different guys as that fifth rusher. IMO Myles will continue to roam looking for matchups to exploit.

Offensively, we need to build on the last game. Find that rhythm. Be diverse by using all weapons. Use Ford and Hunt in screens and routes.
Trust Ford with Chubb type carries. Take some deep shots with Moore, Goodwin, Cooper and DPJ.

I really think we have to throw it to Njoku.

Home game protect the turf. Get the crowd behind you. Win the turnover game.

Dawgs4Life #2030901 09/27/23 12:53 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It might just be me but I don't see this as all that complicated. The answer is to do what we did last week. For me each games is a chess match. In a chess match to have the choice to attack or defend. To force your opponent to react to your moves or for them to force you to defend against theirs. It's a question of will. It's a question of dictating the flow of the game. It must be the Browns who dictate that flow.

While it's true that DW has shown a natural chemistry with Coop, what we saw last week was an ability to spread the ball around a little more. We saw DPJ get 3 receptions, Moore with 9, Njoku with 4, Hunt with 2 and Ford with 2 including the TD. This shows that the Ravens D can't sleep on any of them. I believe what we are seeing is a gradual maturation process with this O. If that process continues it will be hard for any D, including the Ravens to stop all elements of such an offense. The only thing I would say that may need to change a bit is DW holding the ball thinking somehow he can save every play. My hope is that in more of these situations he will be able to throw the ball away or not create a big loss on some of the sacks when he is under pressure. He doesn't need to try and play the role of hero on every down, just the role of QB.

On ST's we have a kicker who can actually kick now. That heavily mitigates the biggest issue the Browns have had in recent years.

The defense is a unit that takes care of itself. From what I have seen the Browns can not only apply pressure from the edges, but from the interior of the DL as well. To contain Lamar they can not lose outside contain or let their OL trap the interior of the DL giving Lamar inside lanes up the middle to run through. If I have one concern that would be it. The legs of Lamar more than his arm.

As with most division games I expect this one to be closer than it actually appears to be on . But if the Browns don't panic or try to get too cute, it should be a W.

Stay the course.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawgs4Life #2030904 09/27/23 01:09 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Zac Jackson
@AkronJackson
·
21m
Greg Newsome will be back to practice today.

Browns pre-practice injury update: The following players will not practice today due to injury

Joel Bitonio (rest, ankle)
Kareem Hunt (ribs, groin)

Bitonio, Garrett and Cooper generally get Wednesday off.

Dawgs4Life #2030905 09/27/23 01:09 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
good to get Newsome back

Dawgs4Life #2030906 09/27/23 01:09 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
As a chess player, I agree. You have to adjust.

That said, if you control the center of the board, your chances of winning go up greatly..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Dawgs4Life #2030922 09/27/23 02:14 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
bonefish #2030951 09/27/23 07:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
The formula remains the same.

Pressure and coverage.

How they will accomplish that may change some. Lamar's throwing weakness is "outs." The deep outs in particular. His strength throwing are the shallow cross and seam routes to the TE.

I am expecting man on the boundaries and zone in the middle. Because if you play man in the middle the defenders back is turned. Which will leave Lamar room to run in the middle.

They could spy Lamar with JOK and or Delpit. I think we will rush mostly four but will add a fifth guy occasionally. They will use different guys as that fifth rusher. IMO Myles will continue to roam looking for matchups to exploit.

Offensively, we need to build on the last game. Find that rhythm. Be diverse by using all weapons. Use Ford and Hunt in screens and routes.
Trust Ford with Chubb type carries. Take some deep shots with Moore, Goodwin, Cooper and DPJ.

I really think we have to throw it to Njoku.

Home game protect the turf. Get the crowd behind you. Win the turnover game.

I was thinking about this some, and I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz uses 5 DL fairly frequently. Lamar is such a unique talent at QB with his legs.

Fiercely Independent.
Bull_Dawg #2030962 09/27/23 07:49 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I know he’s got some skills but I’m not very worried about Lamar. I do believe, however, that Lamar is worrying about us because we are getting after QBs. Teams can barely get two consecutive first downs against this defence.
Stay away from turnovers, stay in our lanes and we’ll be tough to beat.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawgs4Life #2030978 09/28/23 12:40 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think this is going to be an absolute blood bath. I think both teams really see this game as a critical dominance moment. Both defenses will be very physical, very violent this game, possibly a lot of penalties, lots of chippiness and borderline cheap shots. It’s going to come down to turnovers and which offense can weather the storm. I frankly don’t have a ton of faith seeing how Watson fell apart in Pitt. Baltimore is going to take the same tack, create outright chaos and mayhem, be in our backfield all day, flush him out and get us to lose composure. I don’t think they fear his fear. This is going to be a critical coaching week, getting them prepared for what’s going to be a total slugfest. Callahan is gonna have to scheme the hell out of the Oline. They know our run game is next to kaput, they’re going to try to force us to put it on Watson’s back.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawgs4Life #2030983 09/28/23 07:48 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree. I think we are very fortunate to have a bye week between Baltimore and SF ... probably the two biggest physical tests

bonefish #2030993 09/28/23 09:02 AM
Legend
Legend
Trench warfare is where games are decided.

Can the OL of the Ravens handle our DL?

Can we give DW time?

The Ravens like every team that plays the Browns have to locate Myles. Kinda of like where's Waldo?

You have to game plan Myles because he wrecks offenses. Now when you do that there are others who will make you pay.

Chubbless means our offense as a unit needs everyone to do more. Handing the ball to Nick was money. Now we have to get more players touches.

The offense will become more dependent upon DW. Teams are going to close out our run game and make DW beat them.

DW will have to take on that challenge and deliver.

Dawgs4Life #2030996 09/28/23 09:25 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It is a bad break for us that they are getting two big OL back

bonefish #2031020 09/28/23 10:48 AM
Legend
Legend
Expect brutality for all the line play. Roll Watson more often, and let him target some crossing routes and seams. Nobody can be strong every direction at once. Avoid so much side to side offense we have failed to establish, and go after them straight up. DW should be running more often, rather than freezing back there. Not every play demands extension. Move the sticks! Long passes when you need a yard or two isn't wise or tricky. Kick the FG's.

Just a reminder I try to remember. It's Ratbird Week. Raise a toast to Ravenkiller. Get your game face on!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
3 members like this: Clemdawg, PrplPplEater, oobernoober
Dawgs4Life #2031026 09/28/23 11:09 AM
Legend
Legend
need our LB's to make sure to take a wide angle and force Lamar to scramble inside if he takes off. None of their receivers scare me except Andrews.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawgs4Life #2031106 09/28/23 10:59 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Ran the ball, and defended the Pass and they got a win against Tampa Bay in 2022

Ran the Ball and defended the Pass and they got a win against the bengals in the opener in 23'

... It may work again,

on O, run the ball,
on D, defend the Pass,

... and go from there.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawgs4Life #2031108 09/29/23 01:41 AM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
THis is exactly the type of team they brought JOK in for... he's fast and can spy on Lamar all game... Totally expect his name to get called a lot as the edge chases Lamar out of the pocket.

Jumped on ravens reddit and no one is talking about Ford. People thinking Hunt is the guy...

O
Legend
Legend
O
JOK and Delpit. I have been so impressed with Delpit's tackling.

-PrplPplEater
Dawgs4Life #2031134 09/29/23 09:18 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree ... both of them have had a nice start to the year

Dawgs4Life #2031149 09/29/23 10:37 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
A better scheme for them to play in and a better DC is probably the reason for much better results.

Dawgs4Life #2031153 09/29/23 10:59 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
yeah, just as we all suspected .. Woods was not a good DC

Dawgs4Life #2031155 09/29/23 11:06 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
No he wasn’t. We probably lost 3 games last season directly because of him and his late game play calls.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 09/29/23 11:07 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It is definitely night and day. It does make me wonder how he and Schwartz must differ things so much. The players seem to understand their roles and coverage so much better this year than last, but Schwartz' scheme doesn't seem any less complicated from our point of view. Hell, he's lined up Myles all over the defense. Even puts Myles in motion apparently (still my favorite memory of the season so far).

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawgs4Life #2031162 09/29/23 12:24 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
with Watson injured, things offensively need to change now. It's gotta be a low scoring, ugly type win

Dawgs4Life #2031163 09/29/23 12:25 PM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Sounds like the defense has a bit more freedom as well.. Schwartz just letting guys play.

The myles motioning.. and then having a double team following him.. sounded like it was Myles's idea. Saw what they were doing... so he took advantage of the situation.

Dawgs4Life #2031165 09/29/23 12:41 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/C

It's easier to move Myles around when you have people to play in his usual spot that are actually good. Coverage also gets simpler when the QB can't sit comfortably holding the ball in the pocket.

If Woods had tried to do this last year, I don't think it would have worked the same. We added a lot of new talent up front.

I'm not saying Woods was great (he wasn't), but he wasn't working with the same pieces. Teams could focus on Myles and didn't have a ton else to worry about.

Having good players is a rather important component of team/coordinator success.

As they say, we've got the horses now. We don't have to try to "hide" players now. In a lot of ways, we can kind of just let them all run. There still has to be some coordination, but it's easier to get a racehorse to run in the right direction than it is to win a race with a plow horse.

Fiercely Independent.
Dawgs4Life #2031179 09/29/23 01:26 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
with Watson injured, things offensively need to change now. It's gotta be a low scoring, ugly type win

We’ll see. The limited look I got at DTR tells me he can move the O. I still think Watson will play.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Bull_Dawg #2031185 09/29/23 02:18 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think there's a lot of validity to the points you made. Teams were gashing us right up the middle and opposition QB's had a lot more time to get comfortable as a result. As you said, we didn't have the horses to combat that. But I think it also goes deeper than that. The LB'er's looked poor as a group. It seems by everything I've seen it was due to the fact that they had specific assignments and portions of the field as their responsibility and weren't given nearly the freedom to read and react. Now we can see when their best skill sets are capitalized on it looks like someone else is filling those uniforms.

Then you have a secondary who was drafted that had extensive skill sets in man coverage being used much more in a zone. That never made any sense to me.

Sometimes a DC can have a good scheme. He can have some players that are talented. However, if he can't build a scheme that compliments the talents of his players, rather than trying to fit a round peg into a square hole it will create a situation that looks like a failure on the field. I think that's a big part of what we saw with Woods.

I believe what we are seeing now is a DC who can diagnose the best skill sets of his players and design that D scheme to accentuate their talent to the very best of its ability. That separates a decent DC from a great DC. I'm not a guy who just sits back and yells Woods sucks. What I will say is that I think he lacked the ability to adjust his scheme to best utilize the skill set of his players.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawgs4Life #2031205 09/29/23 05:25 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
All that can be true. I'm just not sure there was a scheme that Woods could have used with those players that would have worked.

When you get whooped in the trenches, you're going to get whooped on defense in general.

I think Woods played zone because he knew he'd need the secondary to make tackles. In zone corners face the ball. In man, they frequently have their backs to the ball. If your front 7 is getting things done, it's not an issue. If the front 7 isn't....

Fiercely Independent.
Dawgs4Life #2031206 09/29/23 06:12 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I was banking on this anyway. Low scoring defensive slug fest. Lots of ugly offense to go around.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
OldColdDawg #2031227 09/30/23 12:15 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

We’ll see. The limited look I got at DTR tells me he can move the O. I still think Watson will play.

Hopeful you are not counting mop up time last week, because he did not throw a pass.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 3 Ravens 28 How to Win

Link Copied to Clipboard