Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2032223 10/02/23 06:40 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Tomorrow it all begins.

I got a post season bracket from MLB to try and win $50k.

I have the Jays and Rays and the Phils and Brewers in the WC round.

NLDS: I selected the Braves and Brewers.
ALDS The O's and Jays

ALCS: O's

NLCS: Braves

World Series: I have my home team Braves. They were the best team all year. Historic offensive numbers.
In the last 54 years the best team only has won the WS 14 times.

I believe the Braves make it 15 times.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Come On.

Give me some picks baseball fans.

Legend
Legend
I would love to see Baltimore in the WS ... but I think it'll be Atlanta vs Houston

The NL has nobody close to Atlanta's talent IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Dodgers are really good. Their lineup produces runs. They have some questions with starters but so do the Braves.

The Brewers have the best starters. The Phillies are another team that is dangerous. Strong lineup and two top line starters in Wheeler and Nola.

The five series is a crap shoot because the schedule format makes it so that two starters can pitch four games. That makes it favor the team with two great starters.

Seven game series means you have to have depth. That is where the Braves will be hard to beat.

Baseball can be cruel because so many unpredictable things can happen. It is driven by analytics and number crunching but players and teams are streaky. Guys who you would never expect can get hot. If pitchers are on. They can dominate a lineup.

I have seen too much baseball to feel anything is in the bag.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Orioles vs Phillies

Braves lineup - best in baseball by far.

In playoffs, however, starting pitching and bullpen run the show. Fried has blister issue and Strider has been less than stellar in the 2nd half. Lot of innings for a 2nd year pitcher. - wearing down. Braves BP is average at best. Don't think Braves can hit their way to title.

PS. Would really like to see the Twinkies get there. Go Rocco...

Legend
Legend
Twins would be fun (or Rangers) .. but I can't see it lol

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hammer #2032295 10/03/23 11:56 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Fried is the key for the Braves to win it all.

They shut him down early to address the blister. There is treatment available to address blisters. IMO Fried is the one of the top pitchers in all of baseball. He is the ace. He has to be able to pitch through the playoffs. Without him it will be really difficult.

However, if he were to start and not be available for his next start. It would be difficult for the Braves to win. Morton has a finger sprain and is out for NLDS. They believe he will be ready if they make the NLCS.

The starters are Fried, Strider, Elder, Wright and then Morton coming back. Wright just came back from injury. He had three short starts with a pitch count. His last outing showed promise. He is a wild card. He was 21-5 in 2022.

The Braves have used many different guys out of the pen this year. Some were effective and then had arm problems. However, they have a closer in Inglesias who is mostly reliable. Jimenez, Minter, Yates, and Pierce Johnson have been really good. Brad Hand, Jesse Chavez and long guy Tonkin are all experienced guys who can do mixed duty.

The bullpen is fine. The overall numbers don't look great but they are misleading because a minor league call ups were given chances and elevated the numbers.

The Braves have been the best team all year. They have the team to win it all. But random things can always come into play that will wreak outcomes. It is the nature of baseball. Nobody can explain streaks.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
A
Legend
Legend
A
I think perhaps people that gripe (and hernandez has many things to be griped on about) should learn what the strike zone is. Keep in mind, when the tv people put that "strike zone" rectangle on the screen, it is usually put on before the batter gets in an "at bat" position. I don't feel he missed too many in that vid.

And I don't care for Angel all that much. He wasn't a great ump.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
He needs to be fired.

I have reached the point where I am ready for a digital strike zone. I have fought with the idea for a long time.

I thought I would never get there. But the old school idea that it will all even out is bs.

When so many games are played people forget bad calls because you play another game the next day.

But when you really look at it which is the post season. Every pitch counts. With cameras many calls get reversed. It is important to get it right.

Why not with the strike zone?

Legend
Legend
well, I love seeing Tampa lose

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
well, I love seeing Tampa lose

If Tampa loses, I think they fire Kevin Cash, and the Guardians hire him.

Why is Philly playoff baseball so fun to watch? Twins stadium was crazy yesterday. Rangers completely shut down Tampa. And Arizona kind of took it to Milwaukee after being down 3. Pretty good opening day.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Braves were 8-5 against the Phillies this year.

They know each other well. The Phillies have a good lineup and two top starters. The Braves finished 14 games ahead of them.

Post season is about getting hot. If someone could figure out why teams and players are streaky. If they could put it in a pill. It would be worth a fortune.

Both teams have a home field advantage. Both have great fan support. The Braves draw from a larger area because of the former super station. The Braves pull fans from Tn, Fl, MS, Al, SC, NC.

The Phillies are a dangerous team in a five game series. The Braves will have home field throughout the post season.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The dye is cast.

ALDS:

Rangers vs Orioles
Twins vs Astros

NLDS:

Braves vs Phillies
Dodgers vs AZ

Rangers can hit. Twins can pitch. Orioles are sound all around. Astros been there. Done that.

Braves strongest lineup. Phillies beat them last year.

Dodgers second best lineup. AZ dark, dark horse.

An educated guess that means little.

Orioles and Astros advance.

Braves and Dodgers the two best team go after each other.

Legend
Legend
Surprised that all of the series were sweeps ... not much chance of that

Legend
Legend
in terms of rooting interest, I'm hoping for:

Baltimore, Minnesota, Philadelphia, and Arizona

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't know the American league very well. The Braves are my team so I watch the games they play.

The Braves played the Orioles early in the season. They won the series but I was really impressed by the Orioles.

I would like to see them play the Braves in the World Series.

IMO the Dodgers are the second best team. I respect them as a team. But I dislike them.

The Phillies are dangerous in a short series. I really hate the five game series. I would like to see a change in the schedule. 154 games. WC remain best of three. The division series should be a seven game series.

In a seven game series the better team should win. But no matter who wins in a seven game series. They deserve it.

Legend
Legend
Gosh, the Phillies seem dangerous for sure (as do the Rangers) just because they can hit in waves

I'm a Yankee fan so I saw the Orioles quite a bit ... they are well balanced and hungry. They've been building for this for a while

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Orioles play the game right. They are very sound in their approach.

I like team balance and they seem to be balanced.

The Phillies have weaknesses and strengths. They can score. They have a good pen. They do not have starter depth.

The Braves lost to the Phillies last year because Max Fried had just lost 15 lbs to a stomach virus. Spencer Strider had not pitched and was coming off an oblique injury.

Both are ready and in a five game series both can pitch twice.

The Phillies have Wheeler and Nola. Both pitched in the WC series and were great. However, Now because of the WC round they will only pitch three times in five games.

The Braves have a home field advantage and it counts.

The thing about the Braves is 1 through 9. Any player in the lineup is capable of winning a game. Meaning every guy can get hot and take over. They are not dependent on any one guy. They don't strike out. They tied the home record for the most home runs ever in a season 307.
The Braves are the only team in MLB history to slug .501.

Home runs win in post season. 21 of 27 MLB analysts pick the Braves.

In 2021 the Braves won the World Series. They won 88 games that year. 104 this year.

It is about getting hot. Players going bonkers.

If the Braves beat the Phillies. I don't think they can be beat in seven games.

Legend
Legend
good point about the 7 games. That benefits the best overall team. I'd be more concerned about Philly in a 5 game series than LA in a 7 ... if that makes sense lol

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

Great stuff.

Legend
Legend
nothing like post season \baseball

1 member likes this: Milk Man
L
Legend
Legend
L
I tend to root for AL teams in the Series cuz I grew up an Expos fan and can’t stand a lot of NL teams. Never liked Atlanta, or Philly, or the Dodgers.
Baltimore or Minnesota, it’d be cool if either won a WS. Long time for both.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, I am rooting for Balt or Minn.

I’am not a Braves fan. I equate the Braves to the Broncos of the 80s/early 90s. Tribe should won that WS.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I was born in Cleveland. My parents were Indians fans from the Bob Feller ear. We moved to Harrisburg, Pa. when I was three.

I played Little League there. We didn't get to watch baseball. It was not on tv. I collected baseball cards and I loved the uniforms of the Milwaukee Braves. The only baseball I could watch was "Home Run Derby." I never missed it. Hank Aaron ruled. He beat them all Mantle, Killebrew, Maris, all the great sluggers of the 50's. I became a Hank fan. I collected all the Braves cards. I still maintained my Indians loyalty. But the Braves were my personal team.

I moved to Atlanta in 1978. I started going to games and the Braves of course were televised locally. Then I started coaching locally. Ned Yost was the Braves 3rd base coach at that time. Ned's son caught my son. We were neighbors. We went to the boys games together. Played travel ball.

I got to know people in the Braves organization. I love the Braves. I still root for the Guardians as my American league team.

The Braves were the best team in MLB this year. More often than not the best team does not win the World Series. It is the nature of the game.

But right now IMO the Braves are the best run sports organization.

Legend
Legend
rangers take game 1

Legend
Legend
Astros win per usual

Legend
Legend
Philly up 3-0 in the 8th

Legend
Legend
Philly takes game 1

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Total bummer.

Have not been shut out at home since August of 2021. Over a year and it comes at the hands of a bullpen game?

Hard to swallow. This makes it really hard in a five game series. Takes away home field.

I hate the five game series.

I thought the Dodgers got the easy draw and would not lose a game. Kershaw got torched.

The reasons I love baseball often prove to be the most cruel.

I have always wondered if you clinch early does it work against you? Baseball is often about momentum. If you play the WC and win. You have traction. You are playing under pressure and you are in the moment.

When you clinch. Yes you can rest. But it hard to turn it back on.

The Braves finished 14 games ahead of the Phillies. I still knew all season that they would be tough in the playoffs.

Legend
Legend
what a start for Arizona ... love seeing the Dodgers get smoked. That series is interesting now

B
Legend
Legend
B
The Braves pithed a loaf yesterday, but the Braves have a history of doing that. In a 5 game series it makes it tough, but it is what it is. The Braves are the better team, and should still win, but baseball is funny. It doesn't work out that way all the time, less than any other sport.

Like hockey, scoring chances are limited, and when that happens, there are less chances for the averages working out. A day where the guys aren't seeing the ball well, the other pitcher is painting corners with smoke, all of a sudden you are headed to spring training.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
yeah Atlanta looked pretty bad yesterday, at least compared to the times I've seen them. Playoff baseball is different and much tighter. We'll see if they adjust

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Over 162 the best team wins. The numbers that drive the game prove out.

When post season begins. That all ends because of the random nature of baseball.

The Braves offense this season was not good or great. It was historic.

No single game is predictable. So, in a five game series anything goes.

In a seven game series you get into the depth of the team. That is not true in a short series of five games.

It will be hard to win 3 of 4 with two games in Philly.

Still anything can happen.

Weird thing about being a sports fan is most of the time; it never goes your way. You have to really enjoy it when it does go your way.

L
Legend
Legend
L
As a fan of the Expos, Browns and Maple Leafs, I’d ask this: will it ever go my way? wink

gmstrong

-----------------

L
Legend
Legend
L
Anyways, I love playoff baseball, I keep an eye on things during the regular season, watch games here and there. I’m not a guy who loves baseballs flying out of the park all the time, I like great defence and pitching.

Probably my two favourite non-Expos players in my lifetime are Ozzie Smith and Greg Maddux a Braves reference for you, bone). smile

Watching Maddux pitch was like watching an artist paint, and Ozzie’s work spoke for itself.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by lampdogg
As a fan of the Expos, Browns and Maple Leafs, I’d ask this: will it ever go my way? wink

No

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
Over 162 the best team wins. The numbers that drive the game prove out.

When post season begins. That all ends because of the random nature of baseball.

The Braves offense this season was not good or great. It was historic.

No single game is predictable. So, in a five game series anything goes.

In a seven game series you get into the depth of the team. That is not true in a short series of five games.

It will be hard to win 3 of 4 with two games in Philly.

Still anything can happen.

Weird thing about being a sports fan is most of the time; it never goes your way. You have to really enjoy it when it does go your way.

I totally understand. I still expect the braves to win. I am a fan of them myself. Now I only live about 80 miles away since they moved to the north side of down and aren't in the crappy south side of town.

I still think they will beat Philly and have a good chance to go all the way but as we know, any team can lose 3-4 in a row or over 7 games, just like a bad team can go out and win 3-4 games out of 5 or 7.

In baseball, with few exceptions, every team is going to win 60 games and lose 60 games. The other 42 games tell the tale. You just can't tell when those wins and losses are going to happen.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Greg Maddux is my favorite baseball player.

I don't remember missing a start when he played for Atlanta.

355 wins. 4 Cy Young's. 18 Gold Gloves.

He sliced and diced hitters. It was the way he did it that killed me. He would get the ball and throw it. Knowing precisely what he wanted to do. It was like he knew the batters mind. He made strikes look like balls; and balls look like strikes. Precision control with movement.

When you watched and really paid attention. It was a clinic.

Legend
Legend
Good for the Twins. I hope Houston goes down

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum MLB Post Season

Link Copied to Clipboard