Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
j/c

in terms of Went or Matt Ryan, both of them were pretty bad in their last stints so I don't think their much of an option. Not sure if there is another backup worth mentioning besides Brissett because I'm not as well versed as some of you on other teams' rosters

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
All the wild speculation by fans regarding DW means little.

What counts is the locker room. They know.

If the players and coaches honestly believe in him. The fans will eventually find out.

Fans over react to wins and losses. That is what fans do.

DW is the quarterback of the Browns. He is going to play unless he is injured. When this season ends we will all know more.

Fans don't know about his current condition. They will never know until if and when he put on the IL.

A deep contusion from a hit. Is not the same as a rotator cuff tear from use. We really do not know if there are micro tears. We have not seen him throw at a full practice. All we get is partial information from reporters who do not attend full practices.

Maybe people would be better served if they just let things play out.

Rishuz #2037437 10/23/23 02:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Rishuz
It's not depression. He's caving under being a villain combined with high expectations.

I'm sure the shoulder is also not 100%

There's a difference between caving and struggling to carry an additional burden in already non-ideal circumstances.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

We've officially hit the "Watson has depression" part of the season.

Well his play has depressed me.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
2 members like this: tastybrownies, MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
Legend
M
Henry's production this season has not been all that great. Better than what we currently have, but still not great. I have no clue if the Browns like Henry or want to pursue him, but if so, I hope it would include TEN still eating a good chunk of that remaining contract while getting a late round pick....or what Berry seems to like, pick swaps.

I don't think the Browns would be comfortable taking on the remaining contract as it stands. But that's just me.

The above commentary still stands, but the more and more I think about this, the more I'd be ok with acquiring him. Especially now with the Ford high ankle sprain. Those are tough to get over and tend to linger. And even if Ford can come back 100%, I like the duo of Henry and Ford (lolz) than Ford and Hunt. Sorry, Hunt is a local guy and fan favorite, but he just doesn't have it anymore. However, you lose carry over cap for whatever salary you have to pay for Henry, I believe. Not sure how the Browns feel about that.

Plus, maybe this acquisition keeps the defense a bit more honest with Henry on the field especially if we need to rely on PJ Walker a bit more.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
is Henry a FA after this year? Meaning, we don't have to account for any money for him beyond week 18?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Henry is a FA at the end of the year.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
[/social]

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think we should try and get a Vet QB here. We need someone with experience in case DW is out for a while. Maybe the Vet QB can do an Earl Morral imitation and get us to the Super Bowl!!! smile

Legend
Legend
Henry is a FA at the end of the year.
then I wouldn't be as opposed to him

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think that you must always prepare for the worst case scenario.

Given the current status of the Browns. Steps need to take place.

If management determines that there is "any chance" that DW is injured to the extent that he cannot be effective.

They must trade for a veteran quarterback. Jacoby would be my choice for many reasons. However, Washington would have to obviously agree.

Cousins has a no trade clause so inquire. That is all that you can do. PJ IMO is not a viable option. Neither is DTR.

The preference is a veteran who has started.

If DW is not injured and is able to play. Then explore any player who can improve the team through trade.

RB, OL/DL depth, WR any place where we can upgrade with a common sense trade. Berry has been good at this. So, I expect he will be active.

Sometimes you cannot find a partner or a deal cannot be made.

Legend
Legend
Probably wouldn't hurt to give Walker more than zero reps during the week instead of wasting them on Watson.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
Fans want the test answers before the test.

While that may be true to some extent, they have seen the quiz results. Nine games aren't test results. But they are an indication of how badly the test may grade out based on the quiz results.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
j/c

in terms of Went or Matt Ryan, both of them were pretty bad in their last stints so I don't think their much of an option. Not sure if there is another backup worth mentioning besides Brissett because I'm not as well versed as some of you on other teams' rosters

Actually, the last time Ryan played well was with Kyle Shanahan. Matt might be a good fit in Stefanski's offense.

bugs #2037697 10/24/23 04:40 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
This bit info on Matt Ryan's contract situation might have some influence on his desire to play again...

Ryan joined Indianapolis last season after 14 years with the Falcons, but played poorly before being benched at midseason. He returned to action after Jeff Saturday replaced Frank Reich as the team’s head coach, but wound up back on the bench for the final three games of the year.

Ryan reiterated that he isn’t announcing his retirement in a Twitter post about his new job and he has no reason to announce his retirement now because he’s still due $12 million from the Colts for this year. There’s been no sign that anyone wants him to play for them, however, and his move into broadcasting suggests that he’s not hearing much interest behind the scenes either.Ryan still hasn’t closed the door on playing again but, come on. It’s done. And if he plays at all this year, he’ll be playing for free, because anything he earns will be credited to the $12 million the Colts still owe him. link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We are in a self dug hole regarding a quality backup quarterback.

We should have kept Jacoby. DTR may have a future. But he is not qualified to be a backup currently. Getting PJ was a scramble.

He could develop into a backup. Currently he is not qualified. Injury is a part of the NFL. Some positions it is impossible to pay for depth. You use draft picks or guys who have been backups and have a low salary.

Quarterback is the one position that if you plan to contend. You must have quality. Mariota is backing up Hurts. Similar player. Experienced. He can run their offense. He is not way different in style.

Jacoby is a quality backup and he is known and liked. Berry made a mistake with this situation.

No matter if DW is fine and ready to go. It is poor planning.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Why do people keep acting like we “let Jacoby” go. He left for a chance to start . Him staying at the time wasn’t and option in our control.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
What we don't know is if he was offered a contract?

At least I am not aware he was. His performance with the Browns may have raised his price tag. He may well have left if it was made clear to him that he would have a chance to start in Washington. I am unaware of those details.

If that were the case then Berry should have looked for another guy if Dobbs was not attractive.

What we ended up with is DTR who failed. Then scrambling to find PJ. Who does not look the part.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Why do people keep acting like we “let Jacoby” go. He left for a chance to start . Him staying at the time wasn’t and option in our control.

I agree. I thought it was crystal clear that he was a stand-in during the suspension year. I think this only became clearer when he showed out over the course of his games. Dude earned a starting job... which is why it's really weird to me that he finds himself backing up the likes of Sam Howell.

I'll say it again, because the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of bringing him back. Berry needs to get back on his "F them picks" bike one more time and make it happen.

1. Jacoby is a proven quantity in this offense throwing to most of these receivers. If we were to plot a graph of potential backup QB acquisitions in terms of cost v effectiveness, Jacoby would be waaaay out in the one corner.
2. If we really are a contending teams, one thing that contending teams need to do is spend some resources on a solid backup. We rolled the dice with DTR, and it didn't work. It happens and it's not the end of the world so long as you address it quickly. Jacoby wouldn't be a rental... he'd be our solid backup, and he'd continue to be a weapon on QB sneaks like he was last year.
3. In terms of our options, he'd be the best best, and probably one of the cheapest.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
bugs #2037706 10/24/23 06:00 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bugs
j/c

Actually, the last time Ryan played well was with Kyle Shanahan. Matt might be a good fit in Stefanski's offense.
the issue is that was, what? 6-7 years ago?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bugs
j/c

the issue is that was, what? 6-7 years ago?

The other issue is that while the offenses are similar... they are not the same. I tend to go to bat for Stefanski more than not... but he ain't Shanahan.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Some people say we "gave him the boot".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by oobernoober

I agree. I thought it was crystal clear that he was a stand-in during the suspension year. I think this only became clearer when he showed out over the course of his games. Dude earned a starting job... which is why it's really weird to me that he finds himself backing up the likes of Sam Howell.

I'll say it again, because the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of bringing him back. Berry needs to get back on his "F them picks" bike one more time and make it happen.

1. Jacoby is a proven quantity in this offense throwing to most of these receivers. If we were to plot a graph of potential backup QB acquisitions in terms of cost v effectiveness, Jacoby would be waaaay out in the one corner.
2. If we really are a contending teams, one thing that contending teams need to do is spend some resources on a solid backup. We rolled the dice with DTR, and it didn't work. It happens and it's not the end of the world so long as you address it quickly. Jacoby wouldn't be a rental... he'd be our solid backup, and he'd continue to be a weapon on QB sneaks like he was last year.
3. In terms of our options, he'd be the best best, and probably one of the cheapest.
I agree about Brissett; he’s def the path of least resistance and proven to be able
To manage the team in this offense and he’s never had a good
Defense. But regardless if Watson comes back or not, it doesn’t make our need for a competent backup any less imo. We will know by the moves if the FO really believes we can contend this year or not

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: oobernoober
FATE #2037716 10/24/23 07:47 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE

Some people say we "gave him the boot".

Brissett was signed as backup QB by Wash. Commanders...not to be their starter. Jacoby knew the contract $$/numbers were good and he did not wait to see if he got any contract offers that gave him a chance to start.

What did the Browns offer Brissett...NOTHING...Nothing vs the Wash. Commanders offer...Jacoby didn't wait to sign it.

The Depodesta Guardrail reads, THE BROWNS DON'T PAY FOR DEPTH...! They didn't but now they are wishing they would have.

BTW...so far Jacoby has been listed as the Commanders BACKUP QB.

Just another of the Browns MISJUDGEMENTS that will be blamed on the Browns belief in ANALYTICS.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
the fact that Brisset isn't on our roster right now means one of several things:
1. The Browns did inquire about him, but the asking price was too high
2. AB/KS are so arrogant to believe that we're good with resting the fate of our season in PJ Walker's hands
3. Watson is fully healed and ready to go the rest of the way

Regardless, IMO our season went down with Chubb, our current running game is non-sustainable for a champoinship.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Disagree with your run game analysis.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
All the wild speculation by fans regarding DW means little.

What counts is the locker room. They know.

If the players and coaches honestly believe in him. The fans will eventually find out.

Fans over react to wins and losses. That is what fans do.

DW is the quarterback of the Browns. He is going to play unless he is injured. When this season ends we will all know more.

Fans don't know about his current condition. They will never know until if and when he put on the IL.

A deep contusion from a hit. Is not the same as a rotator cuff tear from use. We really do not know if there are micro tears. We have not seen him throw at a full practice. All we get is partial information from reporters who do not attend full practices.

Maybe people would be better served if they just let things play out.

Nice post except the player himself has come out and told us what is wrong.

A new update has finally emerged with specific details of the injury.

The bad news is that Watson is dealing with a strain in his subscapularis muscle. This isn't just a pain issue, but one that also causes weakness in the rotator cuff. And it's safe to say that rotator cuff strength matters a little bit when you're trying to throw a football in the tight windows afforded to passers at the NFL level.

Watson appeared to still have lingering affects when he took a hit on Sunday. He grabbed his right shoulder after being hit, had difficulty lifting his right arm, he was able to jog off the field and was holding his right arm and did not attempt a pass on the sideline.

Watson confirmed his shoulder injury is a rotator cuff issue, a more significant ailment than the simple contusion that most believed was the problem.

Watson had another MRI done on the shoulder on Monday showing no further damage - the question is why if the shoulder wasn't an issue on Sunday?

Last Friday, Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reported that sources told her Watson may miss multiple more weeks.

Though you arer correct that "Fans don't know about his current condition," it would be safe to say that it is not a deep contusion as previously reported.

With each passing day, it looks more and more like Mayfield 2.0 going on in Berea.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Nothing is the same in an injury.

There is an entire medical team looking at this. Professionals at the highest level in sports medicine.

There is an entire coaching staff. And there is the player.

As a group they will decide when he is ready. The medical team has all of the imaging. The coaches observe how he looks throwing in live practice. The player has the responsibility to be honest about how it feels.

All the " I think he should sit for x amount of time" means nothing.

He will play when they determine he should.

Baker is not relevant at all.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Nobody said that Baker the player was relevant. The handling of the QB injuries by Stefanski and the Browns is relevant and Watson's mirrors the mishandling of Mayfield's injury. As of today, Watson is no more ready to play than he was on September 25th. That's 4-weeks ago now and he should have been put on IR in retrospect. That said though, the commonalities between the way the injuries have been handled is eerily similar. Those professionals at the highest level in sports medicine did and continue to clear the players for play. Both players had and have had their injuries downplayed as to the seriousness and the effect it had/has on their ability to play at an appropriate level. Live practice throws are not live game throws, using that as the baseline and then ignoring the actual play results is an injustice to the fans and the player. Neither player should have been on the field even though they both said they were ready and medically cleared but clearly not close to being able to perform to the level of play needed. Clearly you don't see the similarities but IMHO, Mayfield 2.0 is in full swing in Berea. The names may have changed but the Browns and Stefanski's actions are so similar it's scary.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by steve0255
Nobody said that Baker the player was relevant. The handling of the QB injuries by Stefanski and the Browns is relevant and Watson's mirrors the mishandling of Mayfield's injury. As of today, Watson is no more ready to play than he was on September 25th. That's 4-weeks ago now and he should have been put on IR in retrospect. That said though, the commonalities between the way the injuries have been handled is eerily similar. Those professionals at the highest level in sports medicine did and continue to clear the players for play. Both players had and have had their injuries downplayed as to the seriousness and the effect it had/has on their ability to play at an appropriate level. Live practice throws are not live game throws, using that as the baseline and then ignoring the actual play results is an injustice to the fans and the player. Neither player should have been on the field even though they both said they were ready and medically cleared but clearly not close to being able to perform to the level of play needed. Clearly you don't see the similarities but IMHO, Mayfield 2.0 is in full swing in Berea. The names may have changed but the Browns and Stefanski's actions are so similar it's scary.

You should listen to Bernie Kosar's "analysis" of his similar compared to how DW's is. I watched him on The Ultimate Cleveland Sports Show explain how DW's shoulder injury could have been misdiagnosed and his availability from day to day been difficult to determine. He also described some details of that injury would explain Dw's first dump off pass to Ford being so off target. It made a lot of sense. Watson's first 5 passes convinced me he wasn't ready, but Bernie explained why the game time decision is not black and white. But maybe Bernie is just a shill for the Browns coaches and FO.

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
What is clear is that you continue to state things that you know nothing about.

You do not know what the medical staff tells the coaches. Medical clearance is about structural damage. What the staff reveals to only the coaches and player is private. In fact guarded.

You were not privy to any conversations that took place between KS and Baker. Baker's injury was not on his throwing shoulder. "If" Baker said I want to play. Then it is up to KS to make a decision.

The DW case stands on its own. Different circumstances and a different injury. It is only you that want to draw a comparison.

What any NFL head coach says to the media will always have a filter. Go around to any head coach of any team in the NFL and find out how guarded they are with the media about team injuries.

Good luck with that because they will give you nothing.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by steve0255

You should listen to Bernie Kosar's "analysis" of his similar compared to how DW's is. I watched him on The Ultimate Cleveland Sports Show explain how DW's shoulder injury could have been misdiagnosed and his availability from day to day been difficult to determine. He also described some details of that injury would explain Dw's first dump off pass to Ford being so off target. It made a lot of sense. Watson's first 5 passes convinced me he wasn't ready, but Bernie explained why the game time decision is not black and white. But maybe Bernie is just a shill for the Browns coaches and FO.

I watched that. Bernie's analysis made a lot of sense. I walked away thinking we better find a capable backup... pronto.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Man, DW is obviously not close to ready. Unless all of our eyes are lying to us. This isn't complicated.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #2037774 10/25/23 11:33 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't play a doctor on tv and I sure don't have a medical degree.

However, IMO no two injuries are the same. No two bodies are identical. The medical staff for the Browns I am sure have examined DW in every way possible.

I have had two rotator cuff surgeries one on each shoulder. The time they took to heal was different.

Bernie may think it was the same. I am not so sure.

If DW practices today. What will be published on the Browns site will be. DNP, LP, FP. Injury listed as the week progresses will be
questionable, doubtful, out.

That is what we will get.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I forgot that we didn't see him play last week. We didn't see the results of that and we didn't see him not be able to continue the first time he hit the turf. I also had no idea you needed to be a doctor to see those things.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2037781 10/25/23 12:02 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
He threw five passes and was taken out. That is not a game.

Today they revealed that no further damage occurred. He had practiced during the week being labeled as LP. He started the game.
KS took him out.

Those are the facts.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So are you saying you didn't witness those five passes? He wasn't "taken out" of the game. He was injured to the point he could not continue and had to leave the game. Maybe there was a later point where he could have gone back into the game. But at the point he left the game he couldn't even raise his arm much less play QB. Were we watching the same game?

They have since confirmed the injury is worse than they first knew as well.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2037799 10/25/23 12:44 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am not trying to argue. The messaging has been confusing.

After being limited last Wednesday. He was listed as FP Thursday and Friday.

Now they are saying strain of his subscapularis – a muscle within the rotator cuff of his throwing shoulder.

I don't know what his condition is.

Sometime today we will find out if he practices or not.

I am left to go by what the team does. I am not going to speculate about his condition or if he will play.

NFL teams go out of their way to keep the media in the dark.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
There have been rumors about a CFL QB Zach Collaros, he is 35, has won 2 grey cups as a starter, and 1 as a back-up. He currently plays for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and is having a really good season. He is from Steubenville, Ohio. CFL players can opt out of their CFL contracts for a NFL deal. Don’t get me wrong I’m not advocating for him, but it would so Browns to sign a CFL player. He had a cup of coffee with TB last year.

This is his wiki page:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Collaros

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Trade Deadline

Link Copied to Clipboard