Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2037865 10/25/23 03:04 PM
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Obviously this will be a tough assignment to go to Seattle and win a game with PJ.

Any chance starts with him protecting the ball. Perhaps with more practice and reps with receivers he will improve.

Still hard to believe we won two games with PJ turning the ball over. Somehow we won. It was more than getting calls.

Before the Niners game I never heard of PJ. Maybe there is more to him than what I have seen?

We still have hope. Not much else.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
In his time in the NFL which includes 8 starts he has a completion rate of 55.8% with 5td's and 14int's. Just for a little context. The isolated clip you chose to present is the longest pass completion of his career for 62 yards.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WalkPh00.htm

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
LET'S GO PJ.

Nothing like getting behind an underdog.

We can expect the worst and go crazy if he can win.

Legend
Legend
their playmakers are very good ... Oline not so much

we need a SF type performance from the D

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I'll be optimistic , for once, and hope PJ can improve with more reps and playing time. He could become a good backup like other QB's have become. I just hate to see it with 11 games left in the season.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
What has happened is unfortunate.

This is now the hand that has been dealt.

Injuries are never good. Sometimes guys given a chance can be a surprise.

I wonder why they soured on DTR? I mean they gave him the job. Then he gets told mid week you are starting against the Ravens.

Not a simple assignment. He played poorly. However, I don't think that one start should bury the guy.

PJ has a story. Not that it will end like Kurt Warner. But the beginnings are similar. Who knows? Maybe he will grab the bull by the horns.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm thinking that the Seahawks strategy will be to force our offense to beat them. I could see them adopting the Colts' strategy of "chipping away" at our defense through the run game and simple, straightforward plays. Definitely a run-heavy offense. All to force our offense to actually put some points on the board.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
This is a tough matchup.

At this point I am unsure which quarterback on the roster gives us a better chance.

DW is week to week. We still don't know what he is going to do when he plays.

PJ is an unknown player. He has done enough to make an NFL roster. He has never been in this situation before.

Cousins isn't going anywhere. Besides he has a no trade clause. So we has no leverage.

Jacoby is with Washington. He is their backup. Unless they want to give him up. What can we do?

PJ is going Sunday. Next week who Knows?

O
Legend
Legend
O
We’re going to lose and it will be my fault. The 18 year old grandson made his first ever money bet with me at the beginning of the season. He put $10 bucks on his Seahawks to beat our Browns. Even though we should be rolling this team, somehow I got the feeling he’ll be collecting.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
He's likely far from a a finished product and can absolutely improve greatly on his body of work thus far, but the odds of it happening in the next few days is kinda slim.
I think we can expect to see more of what we've seen, which is probably a turnover or two, but just maybe he settles down a little and can sling a few, too.

He only has to do enough to keep their D somewhat honest and not do anything to lose the game for us.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
PJ is exactly as advertised, a young Tyrod Taylor-like QB. He can win games, but he’ll scare the hell out of you doing it.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 10/25/23 08:34 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
This is now the hand that has been dealt.

As long as we realize that when it comes to the back up QB situation, it's this FO who were dealing the cards.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
PJ is exactly as advertised, a young Tyrod Taylor-like QB. He can win games, but he’ll scare the hell out of you doing it.

he is nothing like tyrod taylor.. Taylor would be a massive upgrade to Walker. Walker is more like Spergon Wynn

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Online
Legend
We really do not know much about PJ at all.

PJ has done enough to make an NFL roster. His background before is like Kurt Warner. Borderline backup gets cut. Goes and plays in the XFL.

He is like a 28 year old rookie.

PJ doesn't even know how he will play. He has never been in this situation before.

Honestly I don't know what to expect from him. He made some plays. He threw ints. That is no surprise.

He has not played with this team. He had some games with the Panthers.

This week he is getting the start. He will practice for three days. I mean how much can we expect? The Seahawks are a damn good team 4-2. Playing at home where they do very well.

PJ is now on the front lines. All we can do is hope. Sometimes players get their chance and seize the day.

Legend
Legend
my hope is three part:

1. him receiving ALL of the reps and game plan for a week will help
2. him feeling more comfortable in a game situation will help
3. our defense must play at a higher level to help

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Online
Legend
The most obvious is to protect the ball.

You start there.

Next is to use what you see from him as his best traits. If that is certain routes. Use routes he likes to throw.

We have to be able to run the ball. Screens are a part of the ground game. Use short quick reads like passes to the TE.

Keep him away from long developing plays.

If the play is not there. Throw it away. Don't be afraid to punt the ball. Let the defense give you more downs. Be patient.

Patience on offense. Let the defense work.

Legend
Legend
there was ONE big positive that I noticed last game: two times (I think once to Njoku and maybe once to DPJ) he felt pressure and stepped UP into the pocket for completions.

I also think the screen game is dangerous with him because he holds it until the LAST second

Legend
Legend
Maybe the screen game could actually help him? Sorta like it does an RB that just needs to see some positive yards to get started, or a shooter that needs to see a free throw go through the net?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
A 28 year old rookie? He as been with the Panthers for the three previous seasons, played in 15 NFL games before signing with the Browns. He has only completed 55.8% of his passes with 5td's and 14 int's.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3051308/pj-walker

Anyone who doesn't know much about him hasn't bothered to look.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I looked him up.

He has not played much in the NFL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._J._Walker

He is 28 and has been in 15 games. So ok he has not played a full year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually he played 15 games in Carolina. He has now played in 17 games. The evidence may not be clear on "what he can be" in the future. But the evidence is quite clear on "what he is now". And we have a very talented team for Cleveland to be his training ground. Try doing the same thing looking at Dobbs stats and tell me he wouldn't be a vast improvement.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
I did not like the backup plan from the start.

DTR was a low draft pick project with good upside. Dobbs has never really been much. He was ok as a backup but not my first choice.

My preference in backups is aging veterans who have been starters before. Mariota, Darnold, Winston, guys who have done something.

They can fill in and give you a chance.

I don't know the whole story with Jacoby. I don't know if we offered him a contract. When he went to Washington was he told he would have a chance to start? I don't know.

I would have liked him as the backup.

I place high importance on the backup quarterback. I thought it was foolish to expect DTR to be the backup.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Dobbs is doing much better than any backup the Browns have on the roster and it's not even close. You claim he is an "okay backup" which is a huge advantage to where the Browns are now. He is currently passing for a 62% completion rate and has thrown 6td's to 3int's. I mean we can all make excuses as to why we're in the position we're in. But Dobbs was here, he is obviously better and they traded him away for a ham sandwich and a six pack. It is what it is.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
Dobbs is not my first choice but he is better than what we have.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Dobbs trade might go down as the Achilles heel of this season if this ends up being a nagging thing for Watson for the remainder. My rotator was iffy for well over a year after I rocked it. I also didn’t repture it, nothing could be seen on scan. But boy I felt it. I would lay off for a few weeks, feel a little better, pop some advil, get back in the pool or on the mat and boom, it would come right back. I had to completely shut down all my upper body dependent athletic stuff for 5 months of PT and rest The shot does help a lot but it wears off and if you’re not careful you potentially screw it up even worse.

Anyway, Dobbs looks easily as good as Brissett, on a much worse team to boot. I don’t necessarily fault mgmt for dealing him, every move is measured risk/ reward, but hindsight is a cold bird in this case. They obviously thought they had more than they have right now with DTR. It was the ravens in Baltimore so about as tough a task as there is for any QB, let alone a low draft pick rookie early in the season but they’re probably smart to keep him in development off field for now. But if PJ goes down, things will get very interesting.

Count on this though… Seahawks are gonna sell out on the run and blitz hard on passing downs. Im sure they realize this. Hopefully they’re practicing lots quick outs. Maybe a bomb or two to keep the secondary back a bit. PJ does have a rocket, can throw it 60 yards. Just hopefully, you know, not to the other team.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we had kept Dobbs, he'd probably have blown out an Achilles rolling out of bed. Season just has that sort of Brownsian feel.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Online
Legend
We have just won two very close games with a backup.

The record is 4-2. We have a tough road game this weekend. DW is week to week. Doctors report that this type of injury will heal.

The trade deadline is Tuesday. The season has eleven games to go. Anything could happen.

The one real damper was losing Nick. That hurt like hell. The DW stuff? I think we just have to be patient.

See how he plays when healthy. I know the fans are impatient. The swirling winds surrounding DW are media feed. The national press loves story lines like "the worst trade in history." They feed on that kind of crap. Then when things turn. They adjust. "We all knew that if he played like he did before this team is dangerous."

I have grown weary of the drama. I turn the game on at game time and watch the game. It is entertainment. I move on quickly.

When you look around at all the teams. KC is a happy fan base. They have Mahomes. No other fan base is really satisfied. There are always complaints about something. Name the city. Someone is bitching.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
Seattle youtubers fear of Myles.

I thought it was funny.

P
Legend
Legend
P
For me at least this actually has nothing to do with DW. Injuries happen and that is beyond a players control. This issue for me is we all know injuries happen and so should this FO. The total lack of having a legitimate contingency plan at the QB position is the problem here.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
According to a coach I once had:

"the game is decided on The Line Of Scrimmage."

You turn on a game and you see passes, runs, catches, and throws.

All of that is dependent upon what happens at the LOS. This game will depend upon what happens at the LOS as well.

Seattle has issues on the OL. They are ranked 25. This is where we can win this game. Geno is accurate. He has good receivers. Their run game is ranked 20th. Passing game is ranked 13th.

Geno is a pocket passer. You would not consider him mobile. He can move but he is not a run threat.

Pressure, pressure, pressure is the name of the game.

Don't turn it over and apply pressure is where a win can be had.

Legend
OP Online
Legend
The Browns base defense is single high safety with the corners in man.

Often pre-snap the safeties line up in split. Post snap one rotates down. The other remains back in single high robber and we are in cover three.

This is about front pressure. One safety becomes either a zone coverage guy or he supports stopping the run. That can be in the flats or up the middle.

Schwartz wants fresh bodies moving the LOS backward and stopping the rush on the way.

When we get those qb pressures. Quarterbacks get uncomfortable and rush passes. That is where good man coverage can get turnovers.

Our defense is going to keep us in games. On offense we have to protect the ball and be efficient. Do not force passes. Don't be afraid to punt. The defense will give us more chances.

There is a path to victory in this game.

Last edited by bonefish; 10/28/23 09:06 AM.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Seahawks 24 The Seahawk Game

Link Copied to Clipboard