Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wish we could convince Matt Ryan to play some games in CLE. h's completion % is insane. We would never lose another game this year.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The odds of third and fourth round picks making it in the NFL are not favorable. But I do understand your point about not wishing to trade future picks. I believe one has to consider the circumstances at the time as part of that equation. But when it comes to top picks that have favorable odd of success in the NFL, that ship has sailed. What I think happens is some put their thoughts on that in a one size fits all box. This season the Browns are paying out the highest salaries in the league. That is not a sustainable option. There is a very narrow window of opportunity which that can be sustained. The talent on this roster which has been culminated is rare. Especially with the Browns. The time to strike is very limited.

So at this juncture there is a bigger picture at play here. Do the Browns simply throw in the towel while paying all of this talent such high salaries? Do they purposefully waste a season where simply competent QB play could get them to the playoffs? I would understand not trying to upgrade the QB position if it were gong to cost a fortune. But that's not the case here. A playoff caliber team has been assembled and throwing it all away because they refuse to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Like I said earlier, to me the circumstances matter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Originally Posted by Psydeffect
Rivera has final say on player personnel. Unless he gets overridden by the owner, why would he do that for a late round pick?

Who said it has to be a late round pick?

Sure I hate to give up a 3rd or 4th for him. But at this point what have we got to lose? We've already trashed the future for Watson anyway. Don't let this season go down the drain waiting for Watson, it looks like it's going to be awhile. Get Brisset back here.

Because trading anything earlier isn't logical at all, it's desperation.

But at this point what have we got to lose? We've already trashed the future for Watson anyway.
This is sound thinking rolleyes

We are trashing the future when we make decisions like giving a 2nd to 4th (i would even add a 5th to this equation) for a backup QB who "might" play 4 games at the most for us. "We" as fans have nothing to lose b/c fans are thinking of only this year. It's the FO/staff job to focus on this year AND the future. It's their job to do so, if not then they won't have that job anymore.

Along these lines (and I said this once or twice before) the lack of any movement today or tomorrow will say a lot about what the FO thinks about this roster. I don't think you're wrong when you say we'd be trashing the future over (essentially) ~4 games... however, I don't think you're doing the math right, because the math is different for a team that's in their window. ~4 games is nothing to a team that doesn't think their time is now, but that's not the case when you've got 1 whole side of the ball playing at an extremely high level and essentially being held back by 1 position.

What you said makes perfect sense only as long as you do NOT think you're a contender. If you do, 4 games is HUGE.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
2nd String
2nd String
AB, get us Brissett and DHop STAT!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
DTR is better than PJ long term.

Agreed, obviously.

A decent part of me wouldn't have been opposed to DTR given a full practice week as the #1 QB and start against Seattle. He was thrown into a bad scenario against the Ravens, in the sense that he went against a really good defense and he received no legitimate prep time. I doubt I am the only one who thought about this considering what we've seen from Walker.

But we're 2-0 with Walker and hopefully the offensive staff has continued to hone in on what is most successful from an offensive gameplan with Walker.

Hurry back, Watson.

Bump.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Hold up....

Dude has a negative EPA. Does that mean he's expected to add points for the other team!?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Expected points can also be negative. This indicates that a team is more likely to turn the ball over to its opponent with favorable field position than to score themselves.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Just a question. Does anyone know if there's a way we can get out of DW's contract if, hypothetically, he doesn't want to play here anymore. I'm not saying that's the case he said he wants to play and he seems sincere but I was just playing devils advocate.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Milk Man
DTR is better than PJ long term.

Agreed, obviously.

A decent part of me wouldn't have been opposed to DTR given a full practice week as the #1 QB and start against Seattle. He was thrown into a bad scenario against the Ravens, in the sense that he went against a really good defense and he received no legitimate prep time. I doubt I am the only one who thought about this considering what we've seen from Walker.

But we're 2-0 with Walker and hopefully the offensive staff has continued to hone in on what is most successful from an offensive gameplan with Walker.

Hurry back, Watson.

Bump.

Free DTR!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Dobbs back to Cleveland? willynilly brownie

O
Legend
Legend
O
They might be feeling the same about Dobbs as we do with Walker. He hasn't played well.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by Psydeffect
Rivera has final say on player personnel. Unless he gets overridden by the owner, why would he do that for a late round pick?

Who said it has to be a late round pick?

Sure I hate to give up a 3rd or 4th for him. But at this point what have we got to lose? We've already trashed the future for Watson anyway. Don't let this season go down the drain waiting for Watson, it looks like it's going to be awhile. Get Brisset back here.

Because trading anything earlier isn't logical at all, it's desperation.

But at this point what have we got to lose? We've already trashed the future for Watson anyway.
This is sound thinking rolleyes

We are trashing the future when we make decisions like giving a 2nd to 4th (i would even add a 5th to this equation) for a backup QB who "might" play 4 games at the most for us. "We" as fans have nothing to lose b/c fans are thinking of only this year. It's the FO/staff job to focus on this year AND the future. It's their job to do so, if not then they won't have that job anymore.

Along these lines (and I said this once or twice before) the lack of any movement today or tomorrow will say a lot about what the FO thinks about this roster. I don't think you're wrong when you say we'd be trashing the future over (essentially) ~4 games... however, I don't think you're doing the math right, because the math is different for a team that's in their window. ~4 games is nothing to a team that doesn't think their time is now, but that's not the case when you've got 1 whole side of the ball playing at an extremely high level and essentially being held back by 1 position.

What you said makes perfect sense only as long as you do NOT think you're a contender. If you do, 4 games is HUGE.

I understand what you are saying. I can’t say I disagree with your reply. I really don’t have much of a rebuttal to what you wrote. I just don’t think Brissett is worth trading a day 1 or day 2 pick to get him. A later round pick(s) sure. However, if you are Washington, as I said before, why would you do that trade? They have a young QB starting who is taking a beating and they need him too.

Legend
Legend
Mary Kay Cabot
@MaryKayCabot
·
4m
Updated: Will Sunday's game between #Browns & #Cardinals be a battle of 2 5th-round rookie QBs? Could happen. J. Gannon might opt for Clayton Tune & Kevin Stefanski could turn back to Dorian Thompson-Robinson if Deshaun Watson isn't ready

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Dobbs back to Cleveland? willynilly brownie

Gannon doing his best to give his hometown team a win or "Cave for Caleb"?

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober
They might be feeling the same about Dobbs as we do with Walker. He hasn't played well.

And people were mad we traded Dobbs for a 5th and/or know we would have a better record with him as the backup.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Just a question. Does anyone know if there's a way we can get out of DW's contract if, hypothetically, he doesn't want to play here anymore. I'm not saying that's the case he said he wants to play and he seems sincere but I was just playing devils advocate.

0 chance.

we are married to him for years. We would have to play with scabs for 3 years to absorb his salary cap hit (even if he retired).

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
1 member likes this: RememberMuni
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Agreed SD, We’re pretty much done as a franchise for the next 5 years if DW doesn’t pan out. And while I have zero clue how much his arm hurts, from what I’ve seen, he isn’t going to pan out. I think that he knows that his money is guaranteed, and he’s not going to risk a major injury by getting hurt and not being able to enjoy his cash. I hope that I’m wrong but I thinks that this goes down as the worst trade in Sports history- not just NFL history, but all of sports.

M
Legend
Legend
M
And people were mad we traded Dobbs for a 5th and/or know we would have a better record with him as the backup.

So because he isn't the starter for another team means he is worse than our practive squad QB who has a 22.8 QBR ?? Dobbs isn't great but his QBR is 46

I for one don't think it'd be a stretch to think we could have a better record with Dobbs ... Dobbs has 5 interceptions in 8 games. Walker has that many in 3 games. Easy to see how we win v Pit and Seattle without the 22.8 QB play.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
PitDAWG #2039116 10/31/23 05:13 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
If Watson is out for a good while longer, it might be time to admit the reality and go back to DTR because he has a higher ceiling. If Watson never regains form, we are going to have to play somebody next year and then draft a QB the following draft. DTR gives us the best chance over the next several seasons if it come to that.

Bingo, 'peen. DTR is the future and we (should) know what Walker's ceiling is. This PJ thing simply has to end....

So some are claiming that a 5th round project is the future? Come on man. Do you know how low the odds are of that becoming true?

No, I am not saying that. The future if Watson ends up a dud is drafting a qb when we get a 1st round pick in 2024. I don't think anybody is claiming that DTR is the future, as in long term future.

Maybe we draft a QB in round 2 this coming draft if the right guy is there, though I would rather wait another year to see where Watson sits and we also have a full bag of draft picks.

The ideal in all of this is Watson is back in a few games, plays at a high level and we don't have to talk about this.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Come on AB give the Cards back their 7th round pick for Dobbs lol

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Today should be interesting.

Feels like something will be done. I am thinking Jacoby is possible. A receiver maybe.

I don't think a running back is in the works.

mgh888 #2039125 10/31/23 07:38 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888

So because he isn't the starter for another team means he is worse than our practive squad QB who has a 22.8 QBR ?? Dobbs isn't great but his QBR is 46

I for one don't think it'd be a stretch to think we could have a better record with Dobbs ... Dobbs has 5 interceptions in 8 games. Walker has that many in 3 games. Easy to see how we win v Pit and Seattle without the 22.8 QB play.

How is it 'easy' to see we would have won against PIT and SEA w/ Dobbs? Firstly, Watson was playing in the PIT game and not any of our backups. Unless you believe Dobbs would have played better than Watson, that isn't a direct comp to our backups.

If Dobbs played, would it have meant Moody would have also missed the PAT to win us the game against SF?
If Dobbs played, would it have meant that IND would have also been called on two defensive penalties to win us the game? Or would our defense still have had those massive TOs, one for a TD?
If Dobbs played, would we have won against BAL?
If Dobbs played, would Wills not whiff on Watt to create a strip sack/TD versus PIT?
If Dobbs played, would we have come back down 14 points and outscored them 24-3 until late in the game versus SEA?

It's weird people want to live in this fantasy where they can try to create a real world scenario (and expect everyone else to buy it) where it is a legit argument to present the idea that EVERYTHING in the previous game would have went the EXACT same way with ( insert X player) and the outcome would be different.....an outcome ultimately resulting in our favor. This isn't some Marvel multiverse or something.

Both are not playing well and are a liability for both teams. If you want to play the who is shiniest turd game, go for it. but the margin is slim and there is nothing to say it would have changed this team's record to anything above 4-3. Again, I think one of the dumbest things fans do is create these 'If then' statements in their head where If Dobbs would have been here, then we probably would have won! There is absolutely no basis for saying this and is usually layered with some underlying agenda for something else related to the team, whether it be a player, coach, or FO person.

The bottom line is any time a team is playing with a backup QB or the third stringer, you are in a pretty crappy position. Luckily for the Browns, the proverbial ball bounced in our favor in SF and IND. You run simulations is this multiverse some wish to create, you won't get the same result. There is nothing to go from that if Dobbs was playing (based on his performance) that this team's record would be better than 4-3 with him as the starter. Especially since he is 1-7 as one for Arizona.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
GMdawg #2039126 10/31/23 07:45 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Come on AB give the Cards back their 7th round pick for Dobbs lol

rofl

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M

How is it 'easy' to see we would have won against PIT and SEA w/ Dobbs? Firstly, Watson was playing in the PIT game and not any of our backups. Unless you believe Dobbs would have played better than Watson, that isn't a direct comp to our backups.

If Dobbs played, would it have meant Moody would have also missed the PAT to win us the game against SF?
If Dobbs played, would it have meant that IND would have also been called on two defensive penalties to win us the game? Or would our defense still have had those massive TOs, one for a TD?
If Dobbs played, would we have won against BAL?
If Dobbs played, would Wills not whiff on Watt to create a strip sack/TD versus PIT?
If Dobbs played, would we have come back down 14 points and outscored them 24-3 17-3 until late in the game versus SEA?

It's weird people want to live in this fantasy where they can try to create a real world scenario (and expect everyone else to buy it) where it is a legit argument to present the idea that EVERYTHING in the previous game would have went the EXACT same way with ( insert X player) and the outcome would be different.....an outcome ultimately resulting in our favor. This isn't some Marvel multiverse or something.

Both are not playing well and are a liability for both teams. If you want to play the who is shiniest turd game, go for it. but the margin is slim and there is nothing to say it would have changed this team's record to anything above 4-3. Again, I think one of the dumbest things fans do is create these 'If then' statements in their head where If Dobbs would have been here, then we probably would have won! There is absolutely no basis for saying this and is usually layered with some underlying agenda for something else related to the team, whether it be a player, coach, or FO person.

The bottom line is any time a team is playing with a backup QB or the third stringer, you are in a pretty crappy position. Luckily for the Browns, the proverbial ball bounced in our favor in SF and IND. You run simulations is this multiverse some wish to create, you won't get the same result. There is nothing to go from that if Dobbs was playing (based on his performance) that this team's record would be better than 4-3 with him as the starter. Especially since he is 1-7 as one for Arizona.

Last edited by MemphisBrownie; 10/31/23 08:14 AM. Reason: edit to the Browns come back score v SEA

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I made a mistake on the Pitsburgh game because DW started and no matter how he played Dobbs wouldn't have started.

With that said - and sticking to the SEA game. I think it's tremendously reasonable to suggest that we win if Dobbs is here and playing. He's better than PJ Walker as a QB and any game and stat you look at from 2023 backs that up. Better QB play in a close game means we'd have every reason to think the result wouyld be different. Better players playing for your team usually produce better results.

Feel free to disagree with me, I have no problem with that. But I do disagree strongly with your insistance or suggesting that we can't or shouldn't discuss the 'what if' because Berry decided to role into the season with DTR, a chronically unproven 5th round rookie QB as a back up and then had to call up the practice squad QB as a redult of how bad DTR was..... This is a Browns discussion board - all we have is opinions and observations (and memes I guess).

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #2039132 10/31/23 09:13 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I made a mistake on the Pitsburgh game because DW started and no matter how he played Dobbs wouldn't have started.

With that said - and sticking to the SEA game. I think it's tremendously reasonable to suggest that we win if Dobbs is here and playing. He's better than PJ Walker as a QB and any game and stat you look at from 2023 backs that up. Better QB play in a close game means we'd have every reason to think the result wouyld be different. Better players playing for your team usually produce better results.

Feel free to disagree with me, I have no problem with that. But I do disagree strongly with your insistance or suggesting that we can't or shouldn't discuss the 'what if' because Berry decided to role into the season with DTR, a chronically unproven 5th round rookie QB as a back up and then had to call up the practice squad QB as a redult of how bad DTR was..... This is a Browns discussion board - all we have is opinions and observations (and memes I guess).

Thats totally fair.

I think everybody involved totally misread how good DTR was, or at minimum his readiness to play in that game.

But, at the time he was the only one ready. As a PS player Walker didn't get many reps except playing the scout team role. The only reason DTR made the team was because we probably wouldn't have cleared him through waivers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
A later round pick(s) sure. However, if you are Washington, as I said before, why would you do that trade? They have a young QB starting who is taking a beating and they need him too.

Yeah, I don't see Berry paying the price needed to get Jacoby, but I'm still going to hope.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
O
Legend
Legend
O
Happy Jacoby Brissett Day, everyone!!!!

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: jfanent
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

Looks like Drake is joining the team…

M
Legend
Legend
M
Was just going to post this. Yeah, it looks like it.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don't think we need another RB. What we have is fine. Piere Strong looked pretty good Sunday too. If we can get someone decent for not much then fine but that's it. JMO

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/31/23 09:51 AM.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I think we are ok at RB.

Receiver? Hard to say because qb play has been so bad.

The thing about receiver is the long view with contracts for Cooper and DPJ. Reasonable upgrades at receiver are a yes if found.

This season is dependent upon the play of Deshaun Watson. That is the way it is beginning the season and now.

Backup quarterbacks more than likely not going to get us to the promised land.

DW needs to play and play well. If DW cannot play then this season most likely will end without a playoff birth.

Rishuz #2039145 10/31/23 10:46 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Free DTR!

He was freed once already. Then he committed the offense of sucking. He was sentenced to the sideline once again. I expect the same result if that mistake is repeated. I'm seeing a very good possibility of his recidivism rate being 100%. Throwing that kid to the wolves is a dumb idea and that's already been proven to be the case.

It's odd to see someone who claims this coaching staff keeps making the same mistakes advocate the make they same mistake by putting DTR back on the field. But you'll have that from time to time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
mgh888 #2039147 10/31/23 10:55 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P

Yeah his post was hilarious. Dobbs completion percentage is 62.8%. He has 8td's and 5 int's. Nobody has suggested that having Dobbs as the backup would be the prefect scenario. What has been said, and is true, is that with a decent back-up that could simply help put a few more points on the board the Browns could win more games with this defense. Sometimes people go with their gut reaction rather than to actually look into things. Dobbs would be an obvious upgrade to P.J. Walker.

#gmstrong
mgh888 #2039152 10/31/23 12:03 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
With the info we have to go on now, I think it's perfectly reasonable to say the DTR game was an aberration due to him having so little time/heads-up to prepare to go vs the Ravens. I'd imagine a little more time to throw to our WRs and put in an actual gameplan vs winging it would yield better results.

Going and getting someone like Dobbs isn't a bad idea either. I'm definitely on the "anyone but Walker" train. I didn't realize it was possible to earn a negative value for EPA since that means exactly what it sounds like.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Agreed SD, We’re pretty much done as a franchise for the next 5 years if DW doesn’t pan out. And while I have zero clue how much his arm hurts, from what I’ve seen, he isn’t going to pan out. I think that he knows that his money is guaranteed, and he’s not going to risk a major injury by getting hurt and not being able to enjoy his cash. I hope that I’m wrong but I thinks that this goes down as the worst trade in Sports history- not just NFL history, but all of sports.

I felt this way ever since we made the trade. The whole thing sucked from the jump. I don’t think there are shortcuts to superbowls, and this is what we tried.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Browns want to save this season than they need to go out and sign either Ryan or Wentz and give themselves a chance to win enough games to make the playoffs. Ryan and Wentz might not be what they were but both have shown that they can play at a high level and help a team win, where as guys like Walker and Dobbs are just guys who you hope don't lose you the game. I've seen some discussion about Brissett but in reality he is just a better version of Walker and Dobbs. Add in the fact that this years offense is a lot different than what we ran last year and Brissett is a dink and dunk passer who needs a good running game to set up his passing which we don't have with Chubb out.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Did Philip Rivers retire yet?