Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
We will most likely go 6 OL more now with Harris ... and go run game/PA game if possible

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
This is a big game. I am glad to be in this position.

This has been a rough year. Chubb loss. Then DW getting hurt. We are 5-3 with three division games to play.

I know the Ravens will be hard to beat. They are a damn good team. If we can win two of the division games we should be able to stay in the thick of things.

If we could win all three. We could take the division. I don't like to get too far ahead because we have nine games to play.

Every game can be rough.

So, it is all about getting ready for the Ravens. We can beat them. But we will need to play our best game. It will take all units.

Special teams has been a pleasant surprise. The kicking game has been outstanding. The defense has been really good.

Now we have to become a real offense. We need that ability to score when we have to score.

I really want to see DW put together a streak of good games.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

I did not see the game. Comments are from what I have read and heard ....

We won convincingly against a very bad team.

DW looked meh early - looked good especially on some deep passes later.

Offense went back to some heavy sets and one comment I read was it was like being back to 2020 but with an elite D instead of a D that would lose games late.

Very much agree that the next 2 games are basically a determination of who we are - possibly who DW will be for the Browns. Tough games against good teams. Division rivals. 2 wins would be glorious ... a split would keep hopes alive. 0-2 would be disasterous for this season and any hopes of playoffs even if mathmatically we might remain alive.

Looking at the box score and reflecting on the Seattle game ... why did Strong only carry it 3 times? I thought he looked at least 'adequate' and comparable to Ford. Any insight welcome.

Peaking ahead after Baltimore and Pit - we've got 3 very very winnable games in Broncos, Rams and Jets ... a jekyl and hide team in the Bears who you feel we *should* beat - tougher games against Jags and Texans (who knew?) and then a season finalle vs Bengals. It'd be brilliant to have a win and you are in for the last game vs Bengals. but 1 week at a time I know.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/06/23 04:29 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
you mentioned the DTs, and that is a good point ... Tomlinson and Harris particularly were really good yesterday

Have to mention Elliot as well. I’ve been hard on him (in other places) for his play in the past. This year he is really picked it up and is making some splash plays as well.

#gmstrong
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Would totally be great if the Cincy game is a "play for seeding" game and all of the north gets in..

"knew it was going to be a dogfight, didn't know it was going to get extended into the playoffs"

FATE #2040703 11/06/23 05:45 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I liked the play with Kareem in wildcat, runs to the right fakes the end-around then started north. We ran that twice today, the other with Ford. Something to think about for down the road. Btw, anyone hear from eotab?

No. I was thinking about Eo the other day. I know he wasn't doing well, so this absence during the season isn't a good sign..

I hope I am wrong.

That is the deal with these places. When people stop posting, many times you can pretty much surmise they just got tired of the place and moved on. Other times, you just don't know, especially when it is a person who has been a regular poster for over 20 years.
speaking of which ... has anyone heard from either Diam or cfrs ?

cfrs is not coming back apparently. The NYJ game of last year was the nail in the coffin for him. But I'm working on changing his mind.
that was a brutal loss for sure ... tell him we miss him

I'll confidently speak for others and say that's a big WE. His football knowledge is sorely missed around these parts.

Agreed, I miss his knowledge and even a bigger thing for me is I miss his sarcasm with the knowledge.

You can tell him if he comes back: I will back him in his previous quest of making sure everyone is aware that Mike White is best QB in the NFL.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Something else I have been noticing. This goes back to a bone of contention I have had for more than a few years. I have long said that fullbacks are pretty useless. My feeling is if you want a playmaker on the field, put a playmaker on the field. If blocking was what you wanted, put a back-up lineman in the game to get more blocking. I am seeing us do that. Big thumbs up from this guy.

Don't waste a darn roster spot on a useless fullback.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Something else I have been noticing. This goes back to a bone of contention I have had for more than a few years. I have long said that fullbacks are pretty useless. My feeling is if you want a playmaker on the field, put a playmaker on the field. If blocking was what you wanted, put a back-up lineman in the game to get more blocking. I am seeing us do that. Big thumbs up from this guy.

Quoted for truth.

You have been nothing, if not consistent with this p.o.v. for years.

I remember debating with you about this very thing when Lawrence Vickers was our fb. Back then, my pov was that LV was valuable as lead blocker, but could also catch for runs from the backfield, making him the more valuable/versatile roster spot.

Clearly, your premise has been validated by current CLE's approach.
Big Boy has been helping us covert 3rd & shorts all season long, and we already have pass-catching backs for plays that require such a feature.

Hats off for a call you made more than 10-15 years ago.

thumbsup

That said, there was something special about watching #47 seek out and destroy LB's on toss-sweeps. Grown-ass men flew backward when they met this man in the hole. He was the one, true Football Hardass on a Browns team that was regarded, league-wide... as- soft, back then.

Nobody ever talked s# about Lawrence Vickers.
Nobody.

Bro- if ya can't tell from my post- I'm still a fan.
#47: Old School Football.

I'm showing my age.
wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"
3 members like this: PitDAWG, 3rd_and_20, Ballpeen
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

Quoted for truth.

You have been nothing, if not consistent with this p.o.v. for years.

I remember debating with you about this very thing when Lawrence Vickers was our fb. Back then, my pov was that LV was valuable as lead blocker, but could also catch for runs from the backfield, making him the more valuable/versatile roster spot.

Clearly, your premise has been validated by current CLE's approach.
Big Boy has been helping us covert 3rd & shorts all season long, and we already have pass-catching backs for plays that require such a feature.

Hats off for a call you made more than 10-15 years ago.

thumbsup

That said, there was something special about watching #47 seek out and destroy LB's on toss-sweeps. Grown-ass men flew backward when they met this man in the hole. He was the one, true Football Hardass on a Browns team that was regarded, league-wide... as- soft, back then.

Nobody.

I'm showing my age.
wink

I absolutely loved watching Vickers block for Jamal Lewis and Peyton Hillis! He was a great blocking FB.

He was no Owen Marecic though. rofl

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
B
Legend
Legend
B

Nobody.

I'm showing my age.

I get it, and talking about things discussed 10-15 years ago like they were last week is showing signs of age....lol.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
When the Browns started lining up Nick Harris in the fullback slot. I loved it.

All the BS about KS not using the strengths of his players. Harris is a 300 center with quick feet.

We don't have Nick Chubb. Putting Harris in as a lead blocker for Kareem is golden. Kareem is one the best short yardage guys in the league.

Harris gets a running start at the hole. He can open a clear wedge for Kareem.

KS has been using Bryant, Kareem, and Ford in direct snaps with options. The goal line play with Bryant handing off to Kareem worked to perfection.

There is no replacing Nicolas Chubb. However, we are third in team rushing.

That has been a product of scheme from KS.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Vickers: A number of years ago, when ever he played for the Browns, I casually told my wife "They call him the Bodyguard because of how he blocks."

Guess what I got for Christmas that year. A #47 Browns jersey with "Bodyguard" on the back as the name.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by The Collector
Would totally be great if the Cincy game is a "play for seeding" game and all of the north gets in..

"knew it was going to be a dogfight, didn't know it was going to get extended into the playoffs"
There is NO way, no way no way, No Way all of the north gets in the playoffs.

Just look at the rules, ok, how could we make a way?

One, Reallign the Panthers to the AFC south this year for the Texans
Two, remove the 2nd place team in the AFC east from contention,
Oh that wouldn't work,

Really, by rule, current rules the Div winner from all four Div get the top 4 playoff spots.

and the first tie breaker beyond overall record and head to head play between an Afc North team and teams other div, is whoever was closest to reaching first place in their own division.

In Order for all 4 of a single div's teams to make the playoffs
the 4th place team in that div.
must have at least a half game better overall record than the 2nd place team in all 3 of the other same conference divisions records.

Not by rule, but by just how all the rules make it end up working out,
How the schedules are made, everything.

Not only would the Browns have to pretty much sweep the Texans, Jags, Broncos and Jets
But the Bengals would also have to do similar to whoever the two teams they play in the east and west, Bills and ? KC
and the Ravens the same, ? Oak or LA Charger and Miami or Ne
and Pittsburgh the same, whichever two of those 4 are on their schedule.

Basically your whole Div would just have to landslide the rest of the AFC and that doesn't happen, because of a number of things

And while doing that, to make it work out by record,
Your own div. would also have to about split with each other 3 and 3 across the board. It's virtually not possible
but with God all things are possible.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I think we should get rid of the divisions all together ... my idea:

- move to an 18 game schedule
- you would play everyone in your conference once (that is 15 games)
- you would play 3 teams from the other conference on a rotating basis (that is the other 3 games)

top 8 records from each conference gets in

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thru 8 games it has happened. I think it is a long shot, but it is possible. Let's just say the Browns, Bengals, and Steelers all end up at 10-7. So, each would go 5-4 the remainder of the way. That is not impossible.

The Bills would have to go 5-3 to tie
The Jets 6-3 to tie
Texans would have to go 6-4 to tie
Colts would have to go 6-2 to tie
Chargers would have to go 6-4 to tie
Raiders would have to go 6-2 to tie
Titans would have to go 7-2 to tie
Broncos would have to go 7-2 to tie

To this point in the season Only the Dolphins 6-3, Ravens, 7-2, Jags 6-2, and Chiefs 7-2 have played better ball than what is needed to get above 10 wins. So realistically the Bills, Texans, and Chargers have the best odds to get to 10 wins. The 3 AFC North teams have a good shot if they continue to play at the same level thru 8 games. Not saying it will happen but they each have better odds than the other contenders.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend

I chuckled and thought of you posting this when I noticed us doing this

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
what this means is we need to do it more lol .... if the line can hold up

Legend
Legend
Looks to me like all the Board doctors were wrong.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the only thing that you call "board doctors" said on here was that they hoped they weren't rushing watson back too soon. I had no idea anyone would consider that a diagnosis. As a matter of fact it's not and nobody needs to be a doctor to hope he is healthy before he is put on the field. Actually one would think that everyone would have hoped for the same thing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: JimDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
what this means is we need to do it more lol .... if the line can hold up

There was a lot to like in those clips beyond his accuracy and touch on those passes too. Also:

1. His footwork moving around in the pocket on those first two plays was really nice.
2. When he was moving in the pocket, he kept his head up and maintained looking downfield when pressure was applied. This was a concern some of us had early on when he started playing for us. I hope that means things are continuing to slow down for him.
3. He had no issues really staying in the pocket waiting for the play to develop and throw. I think the last two plays were good examples of that.

But agreed....the line would need to hold and give him the time needed and for the play to develop. And these are only five plays, so there could be others where he didn't do that stuff. In fact, I'm quite certain there were plays when he didn't do that stuff. But on all 15+ yard throws, he looked good. He looked really good.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I read comments like "they should sit him for the year."

"he won't be able to take a hit." Play him and he will be back on the bench.

There were plenty of Board doctors talking about his injury with absolutely zero credible information.

I am not referring to rushing him back or what they were hoping for.

I am talking about a medical diagnosis and the condition of his shoulder.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish
I read comments like "they should sit him for the year."

"he won't be able to take a hit." Play him and he will be back on the bench.

There were plenty of Board doctors talking about his injury with absolutely zero credible information.

I am not referring to rushing him back or what they were hoping for.

I am talking about a medical diagnosis and the condition of his shoulder.

Someone also concluded he might be suffering from depression. rolleyes

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's not as though I don't get what you're saying. I guess we just differ in what I think are simply opinions and what you are describing as a doctor's diagnosis.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yes I can confirm that Ballpeen has said that for years. And it makes perfect sense if you really think about it. Maybe we’re setting up Tricky Nick for one of those ‘Big Man Catches Football’ moments near the goal line. That’d be cool

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I saw a couple where he put some zip behind it, but I saw far more where WR was WIDE open.

I saw a lot of throws to Cooper. I think only 1-2 went to someone other than Cooper (hard to tell on some).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I saw a couple where he put some zip behind it, but I saw far more where WR was WIDE open.

I saw a lot of throws to Cooper. I think only 1-2 went to someone other than Cooper (hard to tell on some).

Ford led the team with 7 targets. Njoku had 6. Cooper 5. Akins 3. Moore and Goodwin with 2. Tillman, Strong, and Hunt had 1 a piece.
link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
j/c

Any news on Marquis Goodwin?
He looked very wobbly after that almost-catch, and I've heard nothing further.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He is in concussion protocol.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
His legs were rubber after that play.

Legend
Legend
Given this and the blood clot issue, it might be in his best interest to hang up the cleats. He's 32, 5-9" and 185lbs.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I forgot about the clots.
Scary stuff.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 27 Cardinals 0 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard