Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2040989 11/09/23 09:19 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yike.. First question asked of all candidates was "why you and not Trump"

NOT one of them had the courage to say, its me because Trump has 91 Felony Counts he's facing (except Christie). It's Me because Trump tried to over throw a legit vote. It's gotta be me because I"m not a rapist.

Not one of them had the courage to lay it out with facts.

One candidate decided to say it was the Medias fault? Hell that didn't even address the question.

The vote on Tuesday showed that Abortion is the biggest topic followed by the inflation (I'd say the economy but it's rolling along pretty well) But did any of them truly address it? No, just a word salad. (well, maybe Christie did a little when he spoke of taking care of kids their WHOLE lives) But beyond that, nothing.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
"You're just scum": Key takeaways from a heated GOP debate

MIAMI — Simmering feuds turned intensely personal at the third GOP presidential debate, in which five candidates sparred over a chance to lead a party still reeling from the latest in a streak of election setbacks.

Why it matters: Call it desperation mode. Every candidate on stage was keenly aware that former President Trump — who held a counter-programming rally down the road in Hialeah, Florida — is on a glide path to re-nomination, beginning with the Iowa caucuses in 67 days.
5 takeaways

1. Vivek Ramaswamy's attention-grabbing gamble.

The breakout candidate from the early months of the campaign did everything he could to salvage his fading star power, fulfilling a pre-debate promise to ABC News to "be unhinged."

In his opening answer, Ramaswamy attacked debate moderator Kristen Welker — saying the panel should be replaced by Tucker Carlson, Joe Rogan and Elon Musk — as well as claimed the 2016 and 2020 elections were "rigged" by the media and demanded that Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel resign.

By the end of night, the polarizing entrepreneur had called Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky an anti-democratic "comedian in cargo pants," proposed building a wall on the U.S.-Canada border, and suggested President Biden might be replaced by Michelle Obama.

2. Knives out for Haley

Former UN Ambassador Nikki Haley took incoming fire from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, whose claims that this is a two-person race between him and Trump no longer look credible given Haley's recent polling strength.

Attacking her hawkish foreign policy positions, Ramaswamy referred to Haley as "Dick Cheney in three-inch heels" — a line that drew audible gasps from the packed Miami press room. Haley later clapped back: "They're five-inch heels, and I don't wear them unless you can run in them."

It was also Haley who stole the most memorable moment of the night by calling Ramaswamy "scum" for bringing up her daughter during an exchange about TikTok.

3. Abortion divides the debate stage.

While Ramaswamy excoriated Republicans as a "party of losers" over their abortion-related defeats in Tuesday's elections, DeSantis and Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) doubled down on their anti-abortion credentials.

Haley stressed the need to "find consensus" on the issue, keeping her position vague and appealing for compassion: "As much as I'm pro-life, I don't judge anyone for being pro-choice, and I don't want them to judge me for being pro-life," she said.

4. Unity on Israel.

In a debate dominated by foreign policy, all five candidates pledged support for Israel — with most attempting to outflank one another with vivid descriptions of the need to obliterate Hamas.

Their condemnation of pro-Palestinian protests and the absence of any mention of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza could serve as a wake-up call to progressive critics of Biden, many of whom have vowed not to support the president in 2024 over his refusal to call for a ceasefire.

5. Trump's victory in absentia.

While the Republican front-runner faced some criticism in the opening minutes of the debate, his raucous rally 10 miles away vindicated the decision to allow his rivals to spend the night battling for second place.

Supporters showed up as early as 6am for the evening rally in Hialeah, where the crowd delighted in Trump's monologue and paid little attention to his gaffes about the population of North Korea and Hungary's nonexistent border with Russia.

The bottom line: DeSantis benefitted from home-field advantage, drawing cheers when he recalled his landslide re-election in Florida a year ago.

He also has new momentum after earning a rare endorsement from Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds this week.

That — along with Haley's strong performance, Ramaswamy's avowed role as an insurgent and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's commitment to contesting the New Hampshire primary — virtually ensures that the GOP field will not consolidate to the degree necessary to stop Trump.

Their condemnation of pro-Palestinian protests and the absence of any mention of the humanitarian crisis in Gaza could serve as a wake-up call to progressive critics of Biden, many of whom have vowed not to support the president in 2024 over his refusal to call for a ceasefire.

5. Trump's victory in absentia.

While the Republican front-runner faced some criticism in the opening minutes of the debate, his raucous rally 10 miles away vindicated the decision to allow his rivals to spend the night battling for second place.

Supporters showed up as early as 6am for the evening rally in Hialeah, where the crowd delighted in Trump's monologue and paid little attention to his gaffes about the population of North Korea and Hungary's nonexistent border with Russia.

The bottom line: DeSantis benefitted from home-field advantage, drawing cheers when he recalled his landslide re-election in Florida a year ago.

He also has new momentum after earning a rare endorsement from Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds this week.

That — along with Haley's strong performance, Ramaswamy's avowed role as an insurgent and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's commitment to contesting the New Hampshire primary — virtually ensures that the GOP field will not consolidate to the degree necessary to stop Trump.

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/09/re...3LlYbJ4Tfc2IjJNIhBY1N5czhtOUIhcGvL6n73uY

It seems as though Ramaswamy wants to portray himself as the most unhinged in the bunch by trying to out trumpian trump.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I did not watch it. No need to see them shrieking over each other. It's headache inducing.

Ramaswamy looks like Indian Beavis. And unhinged is a good word to describe him.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I did not watch it. No need to see them shrieking over each other. It's headache inducing.

Ramaswamy looks like Indian Beavis. And unhinged is a good word to describe him.

She’s out of line, but she’s right.

I didn’t even bother watching. Just catching up on quick highlights here and there.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It may not be something said in polite society but yeah, Ramaswamy is Scum.

What's funny about that is that he made the same mistake at a different rally about Hungary and was corrected, then he goes out and makes the same mistake.

I forget who said it first, but it's a pretty good idea about abortion. Don't just save the unborn but save all children. I forget the exact wording but it was something like Take care of the Whole Child......

It seems as though Ramaswamy wants to portray himself as the most unhinged in the bunch by trying to out trumpian trump.

Just my opinion but it really appears that Ramaswamy is angling for the VP spot. I actually think he's the only one of the bunch that is. I'm guessing that if Trump picks him, it's a sure loss. JMO however.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Just catching up on quick lowlights here and there.

Had to fix that for you Swish.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The figures are in. While nearly 13 million people viewed the second GOP debate, only 7.5 million people watched the last one. For all intents and purposes for anyone that had any remaining doubt, trump has this sewn up in a landslide.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I didn't watch it. I'm not voting for Trump.

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
I did not direct my reply to you. I'm glad you're not voting for trump and I agree with you about Ramaswamy. What I'm saying is when you combine the polls with the lack of viewership in this debate it's obvious who will win the nomination by a huge margin. They don't even want to hear what the rest of them have to say.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus The Debate Last Night

Link Copied to Clipboard