Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Legend
Legend
L
“We didn’t know that he needed knee ligament repairs, we thought he needed a leg amputation. He should be ready to go for OTAs next spring.”

Last edited by lampdogg; 11/21/23 10:06 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by Swish
Jc

Should’ve drafted Lamar. Far more durable than Watson and Burrow have been.

I wanted Allen...

We almost took Allen.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
On a lighter note.

Every time a surgery is done. They always say it was successful.

I have never heard an announcement where the report said "well we really botched this one. He will be out for a long time."

I dunno... Alex Smith had a few complications after his....

I've seen a few botched surgeries in my day, but you're right... NFL typically always reports they were 'successful'

Not dying on the table might be the success threshold.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
On a lighter note.

I have never heard an announcement where the report said "well we really botched this one. He will be out for a long time."

Hey now...don't go letting pessimism seep into your heart/mind. You are way too optimistic for that nonsense - and I say that in a complimentary way and as you being a non-homer. If YOU lose optimism...our team may simply not have ANY. Thankfully they operated on the correct shoulder...see how easy that was? rofl

Legend
Legend
Kinda wild because I posted that yesterday.

This morning one of the local Browns reporters on tv news said exactly the same thing.

Word for word.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Jc

I wanted Allen...

We almost took Allen.

We should have. Said it many times. We be the strike out king on busts.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
well, I'm glad the surgery is behind him .. problem is, he's got another 9 months until he sees any real action again. That's so much missed time in your prime

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Jc

I wanted Allen...

We almost took Allen.

We should have. Said it many times. We be the strike out king on busts.

When you suck at drafting QB's you can always buy one.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The Doof Dorsey screwed the pooch on that big time.

His one job was to get that #1 pick right and he chose the "Pied Piper" and "Leader of Men" over the 6'5" 240 lb. athletically gifted QB. Brilliant.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Hammer

His one job was to get that #1 pick right and he chose the "Pied Piper" and "Leader of Men" over the 6'5" 240 lb. athletically gifted QB. Brilliant.

I don't think Baker was a bad choice, but it's hard to predict how the little things will impact a players trajectory.

Reading between the lines, and some of this is my opinion, but Baker's growth stopped after his rookie year. I think work ethic, maturity, surrounding himself with enablers, and an overconfidence from his rookie year were his undoing. He's also a bit mentally fragile.

I think it would have been hard to predict those types of things. I know that's what GMs get paid to do but, but you have all Baker's personality stuff vs Allen's inaccuracy, which as the saying goes, cannot be improved upon.

Tough call but I can see why they made it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You can also not predict how a QB like Allen would have done with the team the Browns had at that time. The results very well may not have been the same.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I have always said the Browns liked Johnny Manziel so much they drafted him and then missed him so much they drafted his mirror image in Baker. I'll admit I wanted Sam Darnold. At that time, I would have also been happy with either Josh, Allen or Rosen. So, I can't fault Dorsey for his pick of Baker because he has proven to be better than Darnold and Rosen. But looking back skipping Josh Allen now looks really bad.  

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

I have always said the Browns liked Johnny Manziel so much they drafted him and then missed him so much they drafted his mirror image in Baker. I'll admit I wanted Sam Darnold. At that time, I would have also been happy with either Josh, Allen or Rosen. So, I can't fault Dorsey for his pick of Baker because he has proven to be better than Darnold and Rosen. But looking back skipping Josh Allen now looks really bad.  

One thing to keep in mind in rehashing all this is that Baker was selected while Hue Jackson was still our coach. There is NO WAY IN HADES Allen would have turned into the QB he is today given the environment he almost got drafted into... and there is no argument that would convince me otherwise.

I don't say that to excuse Dorsey, but just pointing out what I see to be basically fact.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But looking back skipping Josh Allen now looks really bad.  

At the time, I was leaning slightly in favor of JA, but one guy I absolutely did not want was LJ. Just goes to show my level of QB expertise....lol.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Other than being shorter and somewhat mobile, I actually don't see much of a comparison between Manziel and Mayfield.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
2 members like this: FATE, PitDAWG
O
Legend
Legend
O
IMO, that comparison was always a lazy one.

Both are shorter QBs that had a ton of success in college that were selected by the Browns. IMO, that's really where the similarities end. Even their personalities and ability to rub people that wrong way aren't really the same when you actually think about it.

Last edited by oobernoober; 11/22/23 03:23 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: dawglover05
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Other than being shorter and somewhat mobile, I actually don't see much of a comparison between Manziel and Mayfield.

Someone trying to turn apples to apples into magic mushrooms to cheesecake.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

One thing to keep in mind in rehashing all this is that Baker was selected while Hue Jackson was still our coach. There is NO WAY IN HADES Allen would have turned into the QB he is today given the environment he almost got drafted into... and there is no argument that would convince me otherwise.

I don't say that to excuse Dorsey, but just pointing out what I see to be basically fact.

I think you're wrong, but I guess an argument would be futile lol. Half of that environment was gone six months later, the rest of the chicanery was over a year after that.

1 member likes this: Hammer
P
Legend
Legend
P
While I certainly won't dismiss your theory because I don't believe any of have a way of knowing for sure, if you look at the supporting cast on the roster at that time, especially at the WR position and the defense, I think the outcome of how Allen would have developed here is certainly in question.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
His first full season would have been Chubb, Hunt, Landry, OBJ and Njoku... vs Gore, Singletary, John Brown, Beasley and Dawson Knox. I think there was definitely more talent at our skill positions. But you're right, there's no way of knowing.

O
Legend
Legend
O
On a lighter note.

Well if you don’t die on the table and they are able to complete the sergury, it’s a success…

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
But looking back skipping Josh Allen now looks really bad.  

At the time, I was leaning slightly in favor of JA, but one guy I absolutely did not want was LJ. Just goes to show my level of QB expertise....lol.

I was Leary of Jackson as well due to RG3.... Jackson is an amazing athlete, but I was worried he'd get hurt while running and then be done like RG3.... he's proven to be a better. QB than I expected...

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I see Lamar now. But before last year, I feared Huntley more than Lamar.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Deshaun Watson Out For The Year

Link Copied to Clipboard