Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Legend
Legend
R
They are going to add a QB no matter what.

Even if it is Flacco I think it's purely as a mentor role for DTR, unless he calls on his face.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
RGIII hasn't played since 2020 and ripped a total of 58 passes over his last three years. In his last five seasons he was 4-10 with 7 TDs and 13 INTs.

Don't see how that would be even the slightest upgrade over PJ.

FYI, I wasn't pushing for RGIII, Just talking about the video he put out.. It was compelling but I remain unconvinced.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
L
Legend
Legend
L
I rather have Cam newton or dust of mike vick over RG3.. he parlayed a decent rookie year into playing alot longer than he should have. That being said, I can't believe the way they are handling DTR, his first game is against the team with the most sacks and his second game is against the team with the most takeaways.. i mean come on.. Flacco would have been a solid if not unspectacular get.. at minimum its a vet with another set of eyes on the sideline to help and could step in if things get bad

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I'm not sure what you mean by "handling" him. Having him face the opponent on the schedule when he's next man up? If you're saying you'd rather have Flacco starting tomorrow, I definitely disagree with that. I'd probably say the same even if he had spent the last two weeks on the roster, unless he was showing something approaching special on the practice field and in the locker room. The only thing that would have pre-empted DTR this Sunday was a move before the trade deadline. It is what it is.

DTR wasn't drafted in the 5th to be groomed as 'the franchise'. Either he can play or not, there's no saving him as the heir apparent. It's been seven weeks since his disaster vs Baltimore, circumstances dictate that he's now in the unenviable position of 'put up or shut up'. We've had a total of two good QB outings this season, we're 6-3, we're not asking him to throw a team on his back.

We lost our QB for the season five days ago. I don't think any of this was a plot to throw DTR to the wolves, nor do I think there is any other viable option.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah that’s all fine and good with next man up but he wasn’t was he. We let pj walker play after Baltimore instead of lettting DTR get some reps against lesser defenses, so now we go back to him against another rookie qb killer defense. So yeah their handling of him isn’t conducive to being successful. Why not stick with Walker. Atleast we won with him.. wouldn’t that give you better reason to stay? What has DTR done to now all of a sudden deserve another chance. Don’t get me wrong I think Walker sucks and I rather see DTR again over Walker, just saying the timing isn’t good. Your comment about Flacco is silly. I guarantee Flacco could go out there cold and just play backyard football and be better than both Walker and DTR. That’s what game experience gets you.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Watson was injured. He was week to week. You stare down that barrel trying to bridge some wins to his return in the most prudent way possible, not to get prepared for a possible Plan D. If that's the way you approach an NFL schedule, you'll find out what N.F.L. means in a hurry. JMO

*A record high 10 rookie QBs have started games in the league this year. Flacco was last seen photobombing an old dude in the GA section of a Southwest flight to Cleveland. I don't think the rest of the league agrees with you.

Last edited by FATE; 11/18/23 08:10 PM. Reason: *Added Flacco

Legend
Legend
Oh, hey... I just noticed.

Happy Birthday! Hopefully the Browns can pull one off tomorrow. Nothing like a win against the Steelers as a birthday gift. Not to many Brownie fans can lay claim to that, here's to a "puncher's chance". 👊

Legend
Legend
happy birthday lead!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Watson was injured. He was week to week. You stare down that barrel trying to bridge some wins to his return in the most prudent way possible, not to get prepared for a possible Plan D. If that's the way you approach an NFL schedule, you'll find out what N.F.L. means in a hurry. JMO

*A record high 10 rookie QBs have started games in the league this year. Flacco was last seen photobombing an old dude in the GA section of a Southwest flight to Cleveland. I don't think the rest of the league agrees with you.

true but are those rookies backups or were they drafted to be the guy? I get what you're saying, I'm just saying DTR has been given a bad couple of games to ease into the role, we should have probably went right back to him after baltimore instead of walker. Thanks! Not too often games line up on my birthday, and even less its the steelers..I sure do hope we win..lol

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
happy birthday lead!
Thanks!

Legend
Legend
Happy birthday!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P

And yet by that same token if the Browns didn't think Flacco was possibly a legitimate upgrade option considering their current QB situation, Flacco wouldn't have been in Cleveland. So either these other 10 teams felt better about their QB situations when their starters went down or this FO was considering making a mistake?

While I'm not pointing the finger at you here, all of those who have tried to make a case that "DTR is the future" or that this FO considers him a legitimate back-up, if that were true Flacco would have never been here for that visit. And before anyone suggests that Flacco was considered a possible mentor for DTR? You don't bring in a statue/pocket passer to teach a kid the system watson plays in. The difference between those two styles of systems is like day and night.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So if DTR gets injured, Hopefully that won't happen

You okay with PJ walker being the lone QB left on the team ?

P
Legend
Legend
P
You can't just have one QB on your roster. Are you actually trying to suggest that Flacco was not brought in as a legitimate upgrade to Walker AND a fifth round rookie who looked like dog crap in his first start? I mean really? That's the hill you've chosen to die on? rolleyes

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You been in the still juice already this morning ?

You make no sense

Reading your sig, I suppose you are happy the Predator is injuried and now the FO and HC are trying to find a solution to keep the Browns team moving forward

You have any better Ideas you should call Berea

P
Legend
Legend
P
I haven't had a drink in over a decade so try again. I don't like watson the person. It's against the rules to use the language I would use to describe him as a person. I have many good friends who are Browns fans. there are also 52 other players on the active roster as well as an entire coaching staff. To root against "watson the player" would be like rooting against all of them. Grown ups can distinguish between those two things and do what is called "compartmentalizing."

And BTW- I don't make a seven figure salary to insure there is a solid plan B at the QB position. There was actually "a better idea" on the roster here and they traded him away for a ham sandwich and a six pack. I guess seven figure salaries don't get you what they used to these days.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
DTR is going to be fine

1 member likes this: bugs
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
👆🏽
No one (big generalization) has any patience and a clear mind. Thank you FO for having some.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're basing that on this game? lol

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Which part? The DTR will be fine? I said that before the game. Why? Because they were comfortable with their evaluation of going into the season with DTR as the backup. Before the trade deadline, they didn't trade for a QB. They checked their options and were still satisfied with DTR as the backup.

I'm basing off the FO's actions and the improvement shown. I don't expect DTR to become C.J. Stroud. It would be awesome if he did. However, between now and the next couple years, I am hoping he becomes Jacoby Brissett. A reliable backup when called upon.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So you thought that performance was "fine"?

If they were so comfortable with their decision they wouldn't have signed Flacco. They would have signed someone cheaper and of lesser quality. You must have forgotten the Jets game last year.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
His performance was "fine". It wasn't amazing, excellent, or terrible. He did what he needed to do within his game plan set forth from KS and AVP. This also was against a Top 3 defense. He checked the boxes this week, let's see if he keeps growing from there.

If they were so comfortable with their decision they wouldn't have signed Flacco.

Why? AB makes PS moves weekly/bi-weekly. The mentoring angle and/or if things go south with DTR is one piece. The other is it's good to have another veteran with years of experience knowing the offense and the playbook. Injuries happen, a rookie QB blowing up can happen. Flacco is a good insurance policy, if we need him.

The Jets game from last year doesn't mean much to me. We are a different team with some different players, staff, and different identity.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
His performance was "fine". It wasn't amazing, excellent, or terrible. He did what he needed to do within his game plan set forth from KS and AVP. This also was against a Top 3 defense. He checked the boxes this week, let's see if he keeps growing from there.

If they were so comfortable with their decision they wouldn't have signed Flacco.

Why? AB makes PS moves weekly/bi-weekly. The mentoring angle and/or if things go south with DTR is one piece. The other is it's good to have another veteran with years of experience knowing the offense and the playbook. Injuries happen, a rookie QB blowing up can happen. Flacco is a good insurance policy, if we need him.

The Jets game from last year doesn't mean much to me. We are a different team with some different players, staff, and different identity.

PSA: In Berry's press conference last Monday, he said the team was going to sign another QB no matter what because they wanted to carry three. This was well before DTR practiced and played obviously. They only worked out one QB before Sunday....Flacco. The Flacco signing with the Browns has nothing to do with how DTR performed yesterday and from the beat reporters pregame, it was pretty much a done deal but wanted to make it formal on Monday.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
P
Legend
Legend
P
The Jets game from last year doesn't mean much to me.

I bet it did last year.

We are a different team with some different players, staff, and different identity.

Yes we are. Now we have Flacco.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thanks for the information, Memphis.

There you go. Flacco is a solid option if needed.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The Jets game from last year doesn't mean much to me.

I bet it did last year.

We are a different team with some different players, staff, and different identity.

Yes we are. Now we have Flacco.

I don't understand. Yes, it meant something to me last year after the game completed...but this is this 2023. I don't dwell on games. Same with this year, I move on after losses. I don't take them personally. No matter how good or bad the team is they are bound to happen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It made no sense financially for the Browns to sign before today. Game check.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So you thought that performance was "fine"?

If they were so comfortable with their decision they wouldn't have signed Flacco. They would have signed someone cheaper and of lesser quality. You must have forgotten the Jets game last year.

I don't agree about not signing a vet over some practice squad type player.

As for fine performance, I suppose in context of the situation it was fine, but in the grand scheme, it was pretty marginal at best. I figure flacco will need a couple of weeks to grasp the O, so DTR will start the next 2 games. If he builds each week, he might stay in....if not Flacco will be brought in in some relief role and probably keep the job the rest of the way.

As things stand today, if we make the playoffs, I'd rather have Flacco at QB....but that is if DTR doesn't step up the game. I think much of the passing game was dictated by Stefanski by plan.

By the time we got to that last drive. The Steelers were worried about PI calls and went to a zone which they didn't play much earlier in the game, then we exploited them to get in to FG range.

It was actually a pretty darn good offensive gameplan.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
We signed Flacco because we had to get someone in here, and the options were thin. Without Flacco, we are one hit away from PJ Walker and ....

As I mentioned in another thread, I think they're going to give DTR a shot to show what he's got week-to-week. It's an honest 'TBD'. I'm curious to see the breakdown on 1st team snaps in practice as Flacco joins the team and as DTR logs more starts.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think that last drive was totally dictated by situational football. Making calls based on the game clock and the score combined with what had happened in the game this far. A great call by Stefanski.

It was the last possession of the game for the Browns. Tie score. The last opportunity you had to win the game in regulation. You hadn't thrown the ball downfield the entire game. The Steelers certainly weren't expecting nor game planning for that. If the ball gets intercepted downfield your D has only given up 10 points the entire game so you would rely on your D to get the stop to send the game into overtime.

So I certainly agree with you that Stefanski limited the passing game so as not to overwhelm the rookie and that last drive was dictated by situational football. In both cases I felt he made the right call.

And yes, I agree that going into the playoffs Flacco has the experience needed to be who I would favor. I think if the Browns plan to make any noise in the playoofs that will be the scenario that will have to play out.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't understand. Yes, it meant something to me last year after the game completed...but this is this 2023. I don't dwell on games. Same with this year, I move on after losses. I don't take them personally. No matter how good or bad the team is they are bound to happen.

I don't take those types of games personally either. I learn from them. I saw a QB who led his team on two late TD drives for the W. Hopefully that's the type of QB the Browns have in the playoffs if they plan to make a serious attempt to make it to the big game. That same QB we saw accomplish that last year is now on the Browns roster.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree Oober. Thats why I said injuries happen. Having another backup with experience and knowing the playbook ahead of time is a good thing.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree that it's a good thing DTR is getting some starting experience and learning the playbook now. The Browns may need him late in the season or during the playoffs if Flacco gets injured.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
lol, you could be right. I don't agree, but thats ok. I think DTR will be the starter unless he is injured or he starts making bad decisions costing us games. We will see soon enough. Either way, I hope they just keep winning/make the playoffs.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm glad you took it in the humorous way with which it was intended. I don't actually have any idea how it will all play out either. I know at this point I would feel more comfortable with the experienced QB at the helm going into the playoffs. Yet on the other hand DTR is a Brown and if he turns out to be a great QB it would not only turn out to be a steal for the Browns but a great situation to be in having a wealth of riches at the QB position.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, I understand your point about experience and should have no problem commanding the offense due to his pedigree. It's a reasonable point.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Available options???

Link Copied to Clipboard