Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
well, here goes nothing

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Time to give him his shot. I don't think putting him in against the ravens on short notice was the ideal way to start a rookie.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
They must feel a loss is acceptable. superconfused

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: RememberMuni
E
Legend
Legend
E
Oh. Watson is out for the seaon. @$%^$#^$%^$%^$%!!@#

Last edited by EveDawg; 11/15/23 12:40 PM.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
I don't think there is a right answer.

That is unfortunate. Backups on any team can win some games. It is unrealistic to expect playoff runs.

PJ turned the ball over way too much. DTR has NFL tools and a lot of college game experience. I do not think he will panic.

At the same time I do not expect miracles.

Myself, I believe I am going to back off for a while. I will watch the games but I am in no mood to comment about the Browns.

Legend
Legend
I do feel bad for Stefanski. Truthfully he's coached his butt off this year and even when I disagree with some stuff (not running it vs Seattle), he's done a nice job. He keeps being handed issues with injuries (and MAJOR issues at that)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: JimDawg
L
Legend
Legend
L
hopefully we get more glimpses of the preseason DTR and not the Baltimore DTR.. I don't really agree with letting him start again against a team known for destroying rookie QB's, I mean come on. He needs a chance for success or you'll ruin him forever

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
the issue is that Walker is really bad ... turnover machine

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by leadtheway
hopefully we get more glimpses of the preseason DTR and not the Baltimore DTR..

Now if we could just get those players that are working in fast food, insurance and sitting on the couch he played against in preseason to be playing on Sunday.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He did well against some starters in preseason

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I do feel bad for Stefanski. Truthfully he's coached his butt off this year and even when I disagree with some stuff (not running it vs Seattle), he's done a nice job. He keeps being handed issues with injuries (and MAJOR issues at that)

I'll say one thing. Dude is a damn magician when he's backed against the wall like this. We just beat the Ravens and hung 33 on them with our #4 and 5 OTs.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O

True, but isn't that DTR's MO coming out of college as well (can be careless with the ball)?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by oobernoober

True, but isn't that DTR's MO coming out of college as well (can be careless with the ball)?
lol yeah, its not good

P
Legend
Legend
P
He never appeared on the field while playing an opponents first string players. It is what it is. People based their glowing opinion of him based on playing against mostly third string players and in clean up time against players fighting to make NFL rosters. Many of which are no longer in the NFL. That's nowhere close to the talent he will be facing in NFL games. I hope for the best but it is what it is. I suggest you check out the success rate of 5th round rookie NFL QB draft picks as a form of reference.

It's not his fault that he's in this position. A project QB forced into battle on the front line. That situation was created by people with a much higher salary than he makes.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
It reallyl wasn;t fair to DTR on his previous start vs Baltimore. Little practice, not even knowing he was playing until about 3 hours before teh game. Let;s see how 3 days of reps helps.

I hope for his sake and the team's that he at least manages it weel and keeps TOs down.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
No it wasn’t. If nothing else we now know the situation with DW we know who we’re starting and we can plan accordingly. I don’t like what’s happening I’m aggravated over it but we can move on with some certainty. Let’s all hope for the best 🙂

Legend
Legend

lol yeah, its not good

All of our QBs have been terrible about it this year, so it's probably moot. For as well as DW did this past Sunday, he DID throw as many TDs for them as Lamar, and that was like the 4th game this year where our QBs scored for the other team, and in like three of them it was in the 1st Qtr.

If DTR can simply avoid putting points on the board for the other team, he'll be fine.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
the one caveat ... there's a pretty good chance we aren't having a game winning drive against a good team from here on out

Legend
Legend
until this past week, that chance was already the case, so not much has changed.

Browns is the Browns

R
Legend
Legend
R

Where is this narrative coming from?

He threw 88 tds against 36 ints over his college career.

Everyone is pining for Dobbs who was a 4th round pick. In his first preseason he played against guys who are in insurance, grocery baggers, car salesman...you know the same criticism against DTR.

This place is bonkers.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by leadtheway
hopefully we get more glimpses of the preseason DTR and not the Baltimore DTR.. I don't really agree with letting him start again against a team known for destroying rookie QB's, I mean come on. He needs a chance for success or you'll ruin him forever

I hear you. I was personally hoping that we started Walker this week and kept the O game plan conservative. Then let DTR cut his teeth in later, knowing he's the guy at the very beginning of game planning for the Broncos. I guess we'll see, though.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Andy Berry doesn't appear to value a player's NFL experience level as most NFL GMs do.

Berry seems to fall in love with his own draft picks and values their potential over other players with more NFL experience.

The Browns wouldn't find themselves in the position of starting a rookie as their backup QB had Berry valued Brissett's 8 yrs or Dobbs' 7 yrs of NFL experience more than he did when final cuts were made in 2023.

I'm hoping that DTR is up for the challenge and will prove to be the right choice to lead the Browns to a win over the Stoolers.

Last edited by mac; 11/15/23 03:00 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Everyone is pining for Dobbs who was a 4th round pick. In his first preseason he played against guys who are in insurance, grocery baggers, car salesman...you know the same criticism against DTR.

Dobbs has NFL experience. Dobbs isn't a fifth round rookie. Dobbs came into Minnesota with five days under his belt with never seeing their playbook before, played quite well leading the Vikings to a win. throwing for 20-30 and 2 td's with no interceptions. After being there for 13 days he led them to another victory throwing for 20-34 with 1 td and no interceptions.

This place is bonkers.

Your comparison is bonkers.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Where is this narrative coming from?

He threw 88 tds against 36 ints over his college career.

This place is bonkers.

I think you're reading too much into my statement. I was trying to recall what I had read about him when he was drafted. The criticism that he occasionally makes poor decisions with the football is out there, but isn't as consistent across all the different scouting reports.

I was pining for Brissett at the trade deadline, but that time has passed.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Well, let's take about 17% to 24% off the hyperbole and give the full picture: Yes, he did all of that, but it was against the Saints and the Falcons. Neither team is good. The Saints are 5-5, but it's not a good 5-5, and the Falcons just suck. Dobbs was able to step right into that offense because of his time here in this offense. It's essentially the same O. It's a very small sample size against bad to mediocre teams. Let him play a full fiscal month and then revisit things before actually going along with the stuff the media is going gaga over.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well let's be somewhat realistic. One has years of NFL experience. One is a fifth round rookie. That's fine. Let's give the both a full month and compare. We both know that a fifth round rookie QB pick is a pure project. You may find that diamond in the rough like Purdy. But that's a very rare exception. The odds dictate that given the situation this won't end well. Is it possible? Yes it is. Is it highly unlikely? Yes it is.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
at this point, we are hoping that DTR can limit his mistakes to the point that we can win 4 games and squeak into the wildcard playoffs

the 4 games we can win? I'd say we have to split the west coast trip, beat the Bears and Jets ... and then whichever one other game we can steal

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Browns -1

Over/Under 33.5

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
oh, no doubt... if you noticed, I didn't mention DTR or his likelihood of success at all. I was just tempering the lofty picture being painted of Dobbs and what he accomplished. He came in and just managed to manage not screwing it up against weaker competition, that's all.

If DTR can do similar and manage to just manage the game and NOT put points on the board for the other team, for once, then he's gonna be alright. Doesn't mean he'll be good, but it means he won't be killing us, and with our defense, that's good enough.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know about that. If one looks at just the stat lines one may draw that conclusion. But if one actually watched his play in those two games they would draw a totally different conclusion. He created time in the pocket and had great pocket awareness and scrambled well when he needed to. In the game against the Falcons he was the Vikings leading rusher. Rushing 7 times for 66 yards and a TD. Here's a look at some of his highlights from the Saints game...

I think he did quite a bit more than "came in and just managed to manage not screwing it up."

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
4 members like this: lottadot, ScottPlayersFacemask, RAWISRADFORD
2nd String
2nd String
[Linked Image from sportshub.cbsistatic.com]

[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]

1 member likes this: RAWISRADFORD
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Time to give him his shot. I don't think putting him in against the ravens on short notice was the ideal way to start a rookie.

Honestly Peen, putting him up against the Steelers isn't a whole lot better.

Having said that, there isn't a good answer. Maybe getting Colt McCoy would be a good idea..He's still sitting out. Naa,, Never mind... LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Why not, right?

Purdy did it. DTR can do it.

We just need to give him favorable conditions and keep him upright.

Any word on our injured OT's?

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
DTR can't be worse than he was last time ... he was HORRENDOUS last time. He had zero prep time and we couldn't adjust the gameplan at all

I just hope he's more poised and under control

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Steelers have a lot of injuries to their D. They lost a starting ILB the week before and his backup last week vs the Packers. And the Steelers still have Matt Canada and Pickett on offense. I think this will be a very close game. I think the Steelers are the worst 6-3 team ever.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
The reverse to that statement makes it seem like ammunition for "if we dont make the playoffs" after this year's injuries ALL the criticism is valid.

Stef's been decent, I'm not sure who is better that wants this job (not going to rehash arians & shanahan) ... yes he is getting a bum deal this year doesn't change the fact it is the N(ot) F(or) L(ong)

no one is safe ever

1 member likes this: JimDawg
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Steelers 10 Browns Plan To Start DTR

Link Copied to Clipboard