Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by columbusdawg
I was at the game, just awful. Constantly hearing Denver fans saying “this is the best defense in the league”? Just an embarrassing performance all around.

The were definitely exposed today. Outside of JOK, Defense was pretty pedestrian. Very little to no QB pressure, bad tackling and bad angles. Run defense was exposed big time with big runs up the middle. No spy on Wilson who gashed us with QB runs.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted by columbusdawg
I was at the game, just awful. Constantly hearing Denver fans saying “this is the best defense in the league”? Just an embarrassing performance all around.
Welp. They were far better than the supposed #1 defense in the league today.

Listen. The Browns will never be taken seriously if they consistently blow these big games in the most embarrassing ways over and over again.

Face it. We blow. We will ALWAYS blow and no matter what we do, we will never get anything more than a glimmer of hope before we crash and burn in the most horrific, embarrassing, historically humiliating ways.

That’s the Browns way. And the sooner we realize this, hopefully we can all find som sort of peace with the notion that we will never, ever enjoy rooting for a team that will ever be able to win anything ever.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Rishuz

?

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm more depressed right now than I was during the Hue Jackson years.

Yeah going 0-16 and 1-15 sucked, but at least I knew the team was terrible.

Now we actually have something but just can't keep it together with all the injuries. What a disaster this season is.

And I have to cash it in at 7-4? Even more depressing, during those years I would've wished to be in this position and I still had hope. But now those hopes are crushed with Garrett getting hurt and Coop going down (thanks Walker)

I hate this season, just the worst ever, just a big tease.

Going to cry myself to sleep, have a goodnight guys and hopefully we'll get them next year.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by JimDawg
Daryl Ruiter needs a straight jacket at 6:33

he's not wrong though

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Psydeffect
I'm more depressed right now than I was during the Hue Jackson years.

Yeah going 0-16 and 1-15 sucked, but at least I knew the team was terrible.

Now we actually have something but just can't keep it together with all the injuries. What a disaster this season is.

And I have to cash it in at 7-4? Even more depressing, during those years I would've wished to be in this position and I still had hope. But now those hopes are crushed with Garrett getting hurt and Coop going down (thanks Walker)

I hate this season, just the worst ever, just a big tease.

Going to cry myself to sleep, have a goodnight guys and hopefully we'll get them next year.

yep thats the long and short of it for me.. Just because you arent 1-15 doesn't mean its good , tons of middling teams that just sit there and never really do anything.. yeah they win a few and lose a few and end up +/- a game or two from .500. Does that mean they shouldn't be looking at KS and AB and seeing what the malfunction is, because what you have is a major one, youve got AB on one hand that can't draft to save his life, blows the cap on FA because he can't draft. Gives a ridiculous contract to a guy who was mired in drama and controversy and did something to put even more eyes on it and gave him a full guaranteed contract and spent all your draft capital for the next 3 years.. totally screwed up the Backup QB position, even knowing the deadline was there and he still did nothing. Even if you had to overpay, which you should have because everyone knew you created this desperate scenario. And we're supposed to just say... good job berry, one season removed from playoffs. Then stefanski refuses to give up playcalling, can't manage the game or clock, calls dumbest plays since mo carthon, can't challenge correctly, doesn't do anything to protect his Rookie QB, doesn't do anything to slow down pass rushes, just lines it up and calls whatever his finger lands on the denny's menu. Its going to cost him his job in the long run. He might be a helluva HC but we'll never know because we keep seeing the flaws come through with playcaller stefanski. So how many years do we sit here a couple games +/- .500 before we decide we need to make a move and get football people in here before Chubb and Garrett are out of their prime.. much like we squandered 10 years of JT. All teams deal with injuries and bad games, Pittburgh has been outgained in offense every single game this year except the last one(after firing their OC) and they have the same record as us and every indication is they are a better team than we are. The reality of it is stefanski with everything going right is a middle of the road coach, when things go wrong, it gets exposed. We have never finished higher than 3rd in the division with him at the helm. Those are the stats that matter, not feelings.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
1. Kevin has to stop outsmarting himself.

2. DTR did improve as the game went on, and he took a step forward, I think in terms of building up his career, but that does not excuse the poor playcalling. We really needed to keep the D off the field in that environment. When Mark freaking Sanchez is seeing something as obvious as that, and our HC isn't, then it becomes a problem.

3. What percentage of our cap is tied up into injured players right now? I mean, man, WTF??? Not blaming anyone, but holy hell do we have the worst luck.

4. Newsome is not Ward.

5. Despite #4, the PI call was BS.

6. I expect to see a lot more teams run up the gut. We were vulnerable there yesterday.

7. JOK played a great game.

8. We need to move on and win the next one.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Last week poster were calling for Ski to be extended… Bad Ski showed up today. The injuries were just insane. With DTR concussed, we’re either Starting the turnover machine or the old timer. Myles is injured. This game was as deflating as the Chubb game. I won’t count them out, but the Donks whipped our asses for 60 minutes. It was a team loss.

Of course, extend him. It isn't a hard decision.

You're right. It really isn't a hard decision.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree with Daryl Ruiter. What he's saying makes sense. He's 100% correct!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/27/23 10:12 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Frustrating game yesterday but not surprised we lost.

- I wish Stefanski would have started the game running more with Ford but after getting down two scores, I can understand why we continued to pass. Tons of drops by receivers didn't help him but DTR just isn't ready. At least not ready for a team with playoff aspirations. He was off on a good amount of his throws, frankly throws too hard at times as well, and is more of a liability than an asset at this point. In short, it's Flacco SZN. I think DTR has a lots of confidence in his ability and can get better, but not during a time when we are trying to secure a playoff berth.

- On defense, we tackled poorly and continued to show our main weakness on defense.....run stopping. I'd rather have that than a poor passing defense, obviously, but teams are going to exploit that more, IMO.

- These injuries to key players is getting out of hand.

- If I don't hear Mark Sanchez do another game, I'd die a happy man. Good god, he was terrible.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
You can point to drops and poor execution (and you wouldn't be wrong), but I just find it really dumb to come out throwing and... continue throwing....

against a defense that's last in run defense, that feasts on turnovers, with a raw rookie QB on what's essentially his 2nd pro start. DTR needs to be coddled, not unleashed.

The defense was REALLY missing Ward today. Newsome vs Surtain was NOT a good matchup. This D seems to have trouble with QBs that can rack up yards with their feet. Wilson isn't a running QB anymore, but he's still got some wheels when needed. It's a weakness. Throw in some uncharacteristic undisciplined play, and you had a poo-the-bed situation.

Season isn't lost. Could be just a bump in the road for DTR (or not). On the next game where (IMO) I think we'll have a much clearer picture of DTR and the season in general. If DTR and the O can bounce back, then that'll be VERY positive for the season. If the D can heal up a little bit, that'll obviously be key.

Disappointing loss, but not one where we need to scope out bridges like some are saying.

Last edited by oobernoober; 11/27/23 10:57 AM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
It was 14-0 in the first quarter and you can understand why Sterfanski was pressing?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Wouldn't be surprised if Berry trades Newsome this offseason.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by EveDawg
What a sloppy game. Bad gameplan. Too many drops. Defense missing Ward. Everybody is injured. DTR played well. That was the only bright spot.

You've got people in glee here that he got hurt so we can start the Flacco era...the guy we just signed off his couch.

Super Bowl baby.

Who are these people? After the way DTR played it's obvious he's not ready for a playoff run whether he had gotten hurt or not. The fact you think anyone is celebrating that a Browns player got hurt shows your lack of understanding anything.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by TooTall
When his coaching doesn't stink, I'll consider not referring to him as Stinkfanski.

The Browns are 7-4, not 4-7.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Thankfully I didn't see the game as I am travelling overseas and did watch the first half on ESPN gamecast whenever I could log in

What stood out on the stat line while checking espn and then seeing the final score is that we were runnung the ball less than we passed the ball. We had success running the ball and we didn't have success passing but we still run the ball less than we passed the ball. We got within 2 and kept passing.

It's an example of why I have continued to be suspicious of Stefanski as a play caller. I didn't see the drops. Didn't see the defense or other factors.... Reading that the team was flat and looked less well prepared than last week is another concern.

But onwards and upwards. If it's DTR or Flacco, I don't care. Whoever gives us the best chance to win.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/27/23 12:16 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Denver D was daring the Browns to beat them medium/deep from the first snap of the game.

Add: then compound that with giving up the lead early and the D never really settling in... desperation mode set in early.

Last edited by oobernoober; 11/27/23 12:47 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by dawglover05
1. Kevin has to stop outsmarting himself.
He won't. This guy will NEVER get it. The Browns are going NOWHERE under his "leadership". And by NOWHERE, I mean being a consistent deep playoff performer in the AFC. If that is too much to ask, then so be it. But I think we can all agree that we have seen more than enough SUCK for a lifetime. And I am damn tired of it.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We're all damn tired of it Beast. Except for an occasional game or 2 it's usually the same nonsense. When the schedule came out months ago and I saw Denver I was 95% sure it would be a loss. WE can't beat them no matter what. Why is that? Ridiculous. We finally put together a talented team that can play with anyone and we have a plethora of injuries to our best players. Some have said that we are a cursed franchise. I'm starting to believe that in spades!! Don't we all already know what the news on MG will be?

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 11/27/23 01:34 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888
Thankfully I didn't see the game as I am travelling overseas and did watch the first half on ESPN gamecast whenever I could log in

What stood out on the stat line while checking espn and then seeing the final score is that we were runnung the ball less than we passed the ball. We had success running the ball and we didn't have success passing but we still run the ball less than we passed the ball. We got within 2 and kept passing.

It's an example of why I have continued to be suspicious of Stefanski as a play caller. I didn't see the drops. Didn't see the defense or other factors.... Reading that the team was flat and looked less well prepared than last week is another concern.

But onwards and upwards. If it's DTR or Flacco, I don't care. Whoever gives us the best chance to win.

People forget that this game (if not for the 2 pt conversion drop by Cooper) would have been tied 14-14 with 6 minutes to go in the third quarter. I, too, would have liked Stefnaski to run the ball more early in the game but it is not the reason for the loss. I think we all expected the offense to more or less struggle (relatively speaking) because we have been playing backups most of the year. However, the defense equally matched the struggling yesterday. They played poorly as a unit (perhaps to do with both coaching and playing) outside of JOK who had a nice game. That, and we turned the ball over and were called for far too many defensive pentaties that gave them great field position at times.

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: PitDAWG, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
So DTR or JF to start the next game? Again I'm onlyooming at sats but the passing game was beyond anemic....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
at this point... I just don't see how Flacco will be ready to play next week and I also don't see how we can win many games without him.

I think we have to live with another week of DTR/Walker before Flacco will be 50% ready to play in an NFL game.

I also don't even know if Flacco has a desire to play.

He seems like a vet who wants to stick his toe in the water and be on a team. But, ya know... not be the centerpiece of an offense.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M
There is a chance, by default, it will be Flacco due to the concussion sustained by DTR. That said, we need better QB play if we want the playoffs. So, if the team thinks they see that in Flacco, then go with him.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by JimDawg

We have all been saying that all year and most of last year. Hand the play calling to someone else Kevin....You suck at it !!!!!!!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Flacco can count to 2 (that was the number of QBs we had rostered prior to his signing), and has watched the Browns from afar for most of his career. He knew what he was getting into when he signed, and if he didn't want to play, he wouldn't have signed.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
There is a chance, by default, it will be Flacco due to the concussion sustained by DTR. That said, we need better QB play if we want the playoffs. So, if the team thinks they see that in Flacco, then go with him.

It's unclear to me what Walker brings to the table by being on the roster. If DTR is concussed and can't go, we are back to being 1 hit away from playing/starting Walker.

Colt McCoy and Nick Foles are unsigned.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Imagine the 2023 browns slipping into the playoffs while being a Colt McCoy led offense… At least it would be a feel good story.

Legend
Legend
I never, never, never thought I would say this ...... but Colt McCoy might be our best option ...... crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns did not win the game because of a lot of errors by the players.

Dropped Passes are a problem, penalties are a problem. fumbles were a big problem.

You can't expect to win on the road, when you don't play clean football.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

3 members like this: Cleats, bonefish, ScottPlayersFacemask
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
While I understand Denver's D rushing ranking (thank you Mark Sanchez for reminding us the whole game rolleyes) I think the game plan was to come out throwing early in the game to stop the d-backs from creeping up early in the game. In other words, stop them from stacking the box and instead have to respect the pass. I don't see anything wrong with that. There's two ways to go about it, either that way or do the obvious and come out running, which Denver probably expected. The issue became: dropped passes, penalties, team playing flat, players playing undisciplined, and being in the hole 14-0 right away.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c..

1 member likes this: JimDawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
well, thats good news on Garrett

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
if DTR or PJ play it will be a loss..

Dorian Thompson-Robinson: 58.2 (52)

P.J. Walker: 39.0 (21)

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by TooTall
When his coaching doesn't stink, I'll consider not referring to him as Stinkfanski.

The Browns are 7-4, not 4-7.

Browns AFCN Standings since KS arrival:
2020-21 - 3rd
2021-22 - 3rd
2022-22 - 4th
2023-2024- Currently 3
He has not coached the Browns in a playoff game - credit Alex Van Pelt for the lone victory since 1987.

I'm not calling for his firing, I'm calling for him to just be the HC and get someone capable of calling his offense in a more productive manner to be the "real" OC. He's not capable of consistent output for a sustained success rate.

Right now, KS is a JAG.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
He has had to use three QB's and will possible be starting a fourth this season. Who do you suppose you can find that will have a consistent success rate with P.J. Walker and DTR starting at QB? I'd like to see JAG with a 7-4 record after all of that.

#gmstrong
2 members like this: lampdogg, ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by HarleyDawg51

So I watched... And Baskin is calmer and more balanced and Daryl is over the top..... But they aren't actually wrong.it's just varying degrees of how much you want to agree.

Last edited by mgh888; 11/27/23 06:50 PM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
He has had to use three QB's and will possible be starting a fourth this season. Who do you suppose you can find that will have a consistent success rate with P.J. Walker and DTR starting at QB? I'd like to see JAG with a 7-4 record after all of that.

Despite the challenges of which they have been many the question for me is whether in every game and in every situation your head coach gave team the best chance to succeed. Again I have not seen the game so I am making a based on observations others have made but it does not seem as if that happened in this game

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Denver really has turned it around, and the defense has played considerably better which is part of the reason that they are on a 5 game win streak.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good news on Myles. The way things have been going I expected the worst.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
I am a big Stefanski guy but his play calling early was mind boggling to me knowing that Denver can’t play the run. I assume he was trying to open up the offense to make it easier to run but when Ford started to gash them he should’ve stayed with it. I don’t blame him for the double reverse. He had a new QB in and he wanted to get a chunk play.

Stefanski isn’t the only one to blame. The stupid penalties were killers. Newsome should spend less time trolling Ohio State fans (most are also Browns fans) on Twitter and more time studying film.

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Broncos 29 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard