Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
2nd String
2nd String
I never saw DW look as poised and confident as Flacco. Not even close.

Flacco has surprised me and I'll be happy to eat my share of crow.

1 member likes this: WooferDawg
2nd String
2nd String
75 yards! The longest punt of the year that has not gone out of bounds.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I agree Jim ... Flacco has looked ten times the QB that DW has looked here

I also think part of it is that Stefanski seems to feel much more in-tune with a QB like Flacco, who is less athletic and more cerebral

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: JimDawg
All Pro
All Pro
I enjoyed streaming the game here in Nanaimo, BC. Where I'll be through 2/29/24. Love waking uo to a 1000am game.

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
good to hear from you Phil

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: captainphil
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I agree Jim ... Flacco has looked ten times the QB that DW has looked here

I also think part of it is that Stefanski seems to feel much more in-tune with a QB like Flacco, who is less athletic and more cerebral

I agree. Joe is more a thinker, maybe call it a game manager. DW is more the carry the team type mentality.

We'll see next year with Watson. My hope is he backs off just a tad and just ties to manage games. He is still going to be able to shine when necessary.

If not, the tandem of Stefanski/Watson might not be the best coach/QB marriage.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
J
Legend
Legend
J
I have never loved or hated Stefanski. I’ve liked things and disliked things with him. I’ve been told you can’t criticize the head coach on this team anymore with a handful of some vocal posters. Haha, how times have changed. Don’t let homers take over the board, that’s the death of any message board.

Stefanski has done very well given the injuries and keeping the team together. I’m all in on these guys getting extensions.

1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
agreed ... giving AB and KS extensions is a no-brainer

A
Legend
Legend
A
My hope is he actually plays at least 3/4 of a season next year. That would be a huge improvement of his total of what, 9 games played so far? $230,000.00 doesn't buy what it used to, especially when compared with a guy that was sitting on his couch 3 weeks ago.

M
Legend
Legend
M
agreed ... giving AB and KS extensions is a no-brainer

Only real question that remains is will it be a three or four year extension?!? Also, safe to assume DePo will have a coinciding contract extension.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
My hope is he actually plays at least 3/4 of a season next year. That would be a huge improvement of his total of what, 9 games played so far? $230,000.00 doesn't buy what it used to, especially when compared with a guy that was sitting on his couch 3 weeks ago.
Someone made a good point: Flacco surely didnt have much rust, if any. Watson had that excuse going for him for half a season

Legend
Legend
It'll be 5 years.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Legend
Legend
A
A season and a half.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
lol true arch

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In 2 games Joe has made the Browns rethink the DW decision.

He simply looks better. The numbers are better as well.

I like a smart big armed QB. I know that mobile is the fad today, but there is something to be said for a guy that can throw a 20 yard out from the far hash.

He can read a defense as well.. There is enough gas in the tank to get us to the end of the season and hopefully the playoffs.

Weapons come in many forms.

Kudos to KS for adapting to the skill set.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

1 member likes this: JimDawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
KS seems much more at ease as a HC with Flacco than DW

Legend
Legend
Imagine if they had none of the injuries.

....or even 20-25% fewer of the injuries.
This team was/is stacked as well as any front-runner in the league.
I truly believe that CLE's 2023 injury history has been the primary difference between their 8-5 record and BAL's 10-3... and nothing else.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Overall great win... Flacco looked much better this week... chief had a hell of a first half... glad we ran a bit more, hope we continue to feed ford and hunt... our special teams are a strength this year... defense played well.

Overall great win.... Jags are a tough team, coming into this week I didn't think we'd win... glad to be wrong...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love Hunt... we have kickers. Ks called a damn good game. Flacco will take us to the playoffs. Garette always seems to show up when really needed. The last pass interference was bs

Joe Thomas #73
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Whhy did we stop moving Garrett around the D-line? It seems like he was making more impact plays when he was moving between positions.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
R
Legend
Legend
R
He moved some yesterday. He wasn't very good in the first half but was much better in the second. I don't think they moved him around much in the second half. There were some blatant holding calls he didn't get, but no more than the usual hack a shaq stuff. He's feeling the pressure of not getting the stats and losing out on DPOY after the last three games so he went off on the officiating after the game. He's not wrong. But he could make that same argument after every game. But usually he'll have some stats as well so he doesn't say anything.

Legend
Legend
Looking at the Standings this morning.

Interesting. The Browns have the same record as the Chiefs.

The Browns have beaten three Division Leaders.

The Browns have beaten six teams with a winning record. The Browns have the third best record in the AFC.

Reading the game day thread today is hilarious. We have a knucklehead "follow the blind" spouting trash the whole game on how we would lose.

What we really have in the Browns is a team with enormous heart. A team to really get behind. Damn near a miracle story given that we are on qb 4.

We just Beat a division leader who will be a playoff team without three starting tackles. Without a pro bowl corner. Without the best runner in the league. Missing the starting center for over a half. Missing the starting two safeties. And starting a quarterback who was watching games on tv two weeks ago.

This morning this team has a 70% chance to make the playoffs.

And for all those who have questioned this team and this head coach we have beaten the current number one seeds in both the AFC (Ravens)and the NFC (Niners).

But I guess "we shoulda run the ball." I am pretty sure we were 4 for 4 on fourth down yesterday.

1 member likes this: ThomasE
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

I hope so too.

It is time to get over the money thing. As long as the team is competitive and wins games, it doesn't matter how the salary cap money is disbursed.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I did the playoff machine thingy (I try to avoid it before week 15 or so), and it would be awfully nice to get the Bengals or Steelers another loss or two because of the "top 2 in the division" tie-breaker thing.

Basically, IMO the season is going to come down to that last game in Cincy. Gonna probably have to win it.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Someone said Flacco is more of a “game manager” than Watson, and I know what was meant. But I think of a game manager as a cerebral, noodle armed guy who dinks and dunks and doesn’t turn it over. Flacco can do that, but he can also throw a football 80 yards. I don’t want to dump on Watson too much, because he played hurt and he did look good at times. But if both were healthy next year and you put money aside, I’d feel much better rolling with Joe. He’s had two games in a row that may have been better than any game DW has had for us.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Joe is just a proven, vested professional. He's not close to what he used to be, but his experience is noticeable and he commands an offense

We won't win the Super Bowl with him, but honestly he fits our team more than Watson

Legend
Legend
If we win our home games that will give us 10 wins.

That will most likely get us in the playoffs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe is just a proven, vested professional. He's not close to what he used to be, but his experience is noticeable and he commands an offense

We won't win the Super Bowl with him, but honestly he fits our team more than Watson

Does he ?

It's obvious you and others don't like Watson and that's okay

But Watson was 5-1 before the injury

Flacco is 1-1

Watson isn't the crap you try to make him out to be

1 member likes this: Steubenvillian
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just want to say that I think Zadarius Smith deserves more blame than Myles. One thing I've keyed on over the past several weeks is that teams are - once again - rolling more blockers toward Myles like they did the last few seasons. Some of this is more speculation on my part, but toward the beginning of the year, Smith received more attention. Now, not so much. I think teams have concluded he deserves JAG blocking.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
IMO this game exposed just how rusty DW still was and how ready a true SB QB is when his number is called. DW will never take the Browns there.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by bonefish
Looking at the Standings this morning.

Interesting. The Browns have the same record as the Chiefs.

The Browns have beaten three Division Leaders.

The Browns have beaten six teams with a winning record. The Browns have the third best record in the AFC.

Reading the game day thread today is hilarious. We have a knucklehead "follow the blind" spouting trash the whole game on how we would lose.

What we really have in the Browns is a team with enormous heart. A team to really get behind. Damn near a miracle story given that we are on qb 4.

We just Beat a division leader who will be a playoff team without three starting tackles. Without a pro bowl corner. Without the best runner in the league. Missing the starting center for over a half. Missing the starting two safeties. And starting a quarterback who was watching games on tv two weeks ago.

This morning this team has a 70% chance to make the playoffs.

And for all those who have questioned this team and this head coach we have beaten the current number one seeds in both the AFC (Ravens)and the NFC (Niners).

But I guess "we shoulda run the ball." I am pretty sure we were 4 for 4 on fourth down yesterday.

Sounds like a recipe to get a coach & GM fired. Maybe the league will step in and do us all a favor and take the team from Jimmy. FYI, yep, it's sarcasm.

Legend
Legend
I know we are all Browns fans at heart.

It is time to just get behind this team. We stand today with a team that has proven it can beat any team in the NFL.

If you dislike KS so be it. However, to deny what is happening this season is fallacy.

All that we all want is to win. Make no mistake this team can win. They have proven that.

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
as you said bone, the encouraging thing is when you look at the teams we have beaten:

Cincinnati with Burrow playing
San Francisco with PJ Walker
at Indianapolis with PJ Walker
Pittsburgh with DTR
at Baltimore
Jacksonville

L
Legend
Legend
L
KS seems much more at ease as a HC with Flacco than DW

I said that during game, KS loves having a QB like flacco, I think the playbook is even more open than with Watson. I knew when we signed flacco he was going to be an upgrade, but he has surprised me with how quickly he's picked up everything.. You knew reading defenses and all that would be nothing to him.. My only regret is we should have had him all season, I would even entertain bringing him back next year. Its clear he has a calming effect on everyone, even when the game was getting tight and they did a close up of him at the line you saw ZERO trepidation. I firmly believe if we had Chubb this season we are probably sitting at 10-3 maybe even 11-2. Our backs with this line struggle, but hunt picks up those tough yards. Hudson is such a liability that I can't believe theres nothing better on a PS somewhere. I thought we should be getting Wills back soon. Hopefully Jones is back next week as well. The biggest threat to our playoff chances right now is health, I can't remember a season with this many injuries to this many starters. Thats one thing I think KS has done well is keeping everyone focused and not letting them lose the fact that it's next man up and any given sunday. I do enjoy hearing his locker room talks and I like KS mostly, just some things playcalling that I wish we would clean up.. Yesterday there were a few scary calls but because we had flacco it was masked because he executed perfectly. The 4th down run by DTR i wasn't a fan of because of the injury factor but it worked perfectly. This team at full strength could do some damage in the playoffs. Browns vs Ravens in first round with Flacco at QB, that would be must watch TV and media would go wild with the hype. Then if the browns knock the ravens out...

Also, our kickers are probably the best pairing we've ever had.. they are both weapons. I think Hopkins is as good as phil ever was and CB being able to flip the field was huge yesterday when offense was struggling. Just wish we had a return game. On to Chicago, def. don't want to overlook them and they just stomped detroit. Hopefully fields has another game like his last one against us

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, with Flacco we would have probably won in Pittsburgh and Seattle, so we'd be 10-3 IMO

1 member likes this: mgh888
L
Legend
Legend
L
Well, with Flacco we would have probably won in Pittsburgh and Seattle, so we'd be 10-3 IMO
no doubt

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
It is time to get over the money thing. As long as the team is competitive and wins games, it doesn't matter how the salary cap money is disbursed.

And the draft picks too, right? I mean nobody should actually consider ROI.

That's like saying that it shouldn't matter that you paid 75k for a 1997 Impala because you can still manage to get to work.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Do you all think Berry, Stefanski, and DePo will get their extensions during the remainder of the season, the playoffs, or the offseason????

Maybe I'll make a poll.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by The Big G
But if both were healthy next year and you put money aside, I’d feel much better rolling with Joe. He’s had two games in a row that may have been better than any game DW has had for us.

I don't believe that's true at all. Against the Titans watson was 27-33 for 289 yards and 2 td's. The Jags pass defense was ranked 30th in the league going into the game yesterday. That made it obvious how easy it was to exploit them in the passing game. So I don't see Flacco as having close to a "better game" than watsion had against the Titans. I also feel if you actually think that Flacco played "well" last week you could look at watson's game against Arizona where he was 19-30 for 219 yards and 2 tds. as a game that was better than last week.

Don't get me wrong, dollar for dollar the Browns are getting a lot more bang for their buck with Flacco. But at the same time I think there are moments people go a little overboard with their claims.

Trying to keep this thing in context I think Flacco is doing a fine job. He's keeping the O competitive. I see him as playing above average. Nothing great but good. That's more than I had hoped for at this stage of the season. Let's just say if he continues on this path his ass won't be home sitting on the couch next year. While at the same time I don't have confidence this FO will keep him here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
A player going to bat for his coach.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 31 Jaguars 27 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard