Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said he would support the legal fund of a man who is accused of vandalizing a display by The Satanic Temple inside the Iowa Capitol on Thursday.

Michael Cassidy was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief for knocking over and destroying a statue erected by the temple inside the capitol, The Des Moines Register first reported.

“Satan has no place in our society and should not be recognized as a ‘religion’ by the federal government,” DeSantis said on X, formerly Twitter. “I’ll chip in to contribute to this veteran’s legal defense fund. Good prevails over evil — that’s the American spirit.”

The Satanic Temple display was permitted under Iowa law allowing any religious organization to hold a display inside the Capitol. It consisted of a figure of the demon Baphomet with a bejeweled goat head alongside prayer candles.

The non-theistic religious organization has frequently used satanic imagery to protest laws in the U.S. using religious freedom arguments. Satanists do not literally believe in or pray to a biblical Satan, but they refer to the literary idea of Satan to promote skepticism and curiosity.

“We don’t want to yield some kind of power to the government to begin picking and choosing between religious groups,” Satanic Temple co-founder Lucien Greaves said in a CNN interview Thursday. “People might hate us and people might want to exclude us, but that simply opens the door to more sectarian battles, and it certainly won’t stop there.”

The organization has previously protested religious prayer at schools by organizing afterschool Satanist Temple clubs, arguing that its religious beliefs protect the right to abortion access, and chastising religious imagery and phrases in government.

In response to the display, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds (R) chastised the temple but stood by state law allowing its display.

“In a free society, the best response to objectionable speech is more speech, and I encourage all those of faith to join me today in praying over the Capitol and recognizing the Nativity scene that will be on display ― the true reason for the season,” she said in a statement.

Cassidy’s legal defense fund raised more than $20,000 in just its first few hours, Newsweek reported, including $10,000 from conservative activist group Turning Point USA.

Cassidy previously ran for a Mississippi congressional seat in 2022, losing to Rep. Michael Guest (R-Miss.) in the primary by a wide margin.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...2-4azfBqlCGsFHh6SyA5L3UaN4-cUHbc06yqwhwM

I wonder if DeSantis would contribute to a defense fund for anyone who attacked those holding a KKK rally? The last time I heard, whether you like something or not, whether you agree with it or not, vandalism is still a crime.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
"The Satanic Temple display was permitted under Iowa law allowing any religious organization to hold a display inside the Capitol. It consisted of a figure of the demon Baphomet with a bejeweled goat head alongside prayer candles."

Just so we are clear, I'm not a satanist.. I don't follow that religion. Honestly don't understand why anyone would.

But it's allowed by Iowa Law for a person or persons to worship as they wish,,,, This guy vandalized the display. That's illegal and of course, a republican will come to his defense. They don't seem to respect the rule of law.

He broke the law,, end of story.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
GOPers only obey the laws they help create when it’s convenient for them. Pffft the party of law and order is disgustingly corrupt.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
GOPers only obey the laws they help create when it’s convenient for them. Pffft the party of law and order is disgustingly corrupt.

Exactly my point. I don't understand how they can be so hypocritical....

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Libtards been vandalizing statues for years. Now you complaining about it?

No Craps Given
3 members like this: Day of the Dawg, jfanent, Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Satanism isn't a religion.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

It’s as valid as the quackery that is Scientology.

If you truly believe in the Bible how can you say satanism isn’t real? If you can believe in, and root for, the ‘good guy’ what can’t others do the same for the ‘bad guy’ just as validly?

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
No.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hmmm, it seems the government disagrees or the statue would have never been there to begin with… But let’s not let facts get in the way of good ole boy christo fascism against those who don’t think like you.

I don’t think anyone has the right to define another’s religion or beliefs, nor the right force their own upon others, PERIOD. Argue that.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/17/23 10:29 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
To each their own.

No matter which side destroys the others property it's still wrong.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
Legend
Legend

I recognize you don't think so, but it is a religion. It's accepted as one. Like I said before, I don't get it, but then I don't have to.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Libtards been vandalizing statues for years.

And yet no deplorable political figures like DeSantis is helping them to fund their defense. Mmmmmmm

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

You may not think so. And I'm certainly not happy about it being displayed in a government building. But the problem with all of that is Iowa does recognize it as a non profit religion as stated in the article.

The Satanic Temple display was permitted under Iowa law allowing any religious organization to hold a display inside the Capitol.

As such they have the same rights as any other religion whether we like that or not. I don't like seeing the KKK holding rally's in parks or in public but they too have that right whether I like it or not.

According to Iowa law they are a religion and have the rights of any other religion. Vandalism is a crime. Our thoughts and feelings don't matter.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

And you always spoke out against vandalism, depending on who it was committing the vandalism of course, until now. As a matter of fact I didn't hear you speak out against the hundreds who vandalized the capital either.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

And you always spoke out against vandalism, depending on who it was committing the vandalism of course, until now. As a matter of fact I didn't hear you speak out against the hundreds who vandalized the capital either.

Of course not. That was simply a peaceful demonstration that got ugly because of Capitol police brutality.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
And it just so happens her memory is terribly flawed. While she loves to sound like a two year old with that "libtard" saying, she must have forgotten how everyone she claims is a "libtard" on this very board called for all of those who were engaged in criminal activity during those summer riots be tried, convicted and pay the penalty for their crimes. Something she has NEVER done when it involves someone on the right. This is what it looks like when hypocrisy rears its ugly head.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Boohoo your tears are delicious.

No Craps Given
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Everybody knows who and what you are. And when that's all you have in reply to the truth you only further prove it. It's all true and all you have in response is white noise.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: dawglover05
E
Legend
Legend
E

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O

Things trump loving fascists say for $100 Alex… bottom tier stupid.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Boohoo your tears are extra salty.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
Even more stupid than the last post… Goals. And i know you like it salty…

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 12/18/23 09:44 PM.

Legend
Legend
Hey Eve you mega Goper’s have been beheading the Statue of Liberty for many years now. Want to stop that s?

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
And i know you like it salty…

That's what he said.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus DeSantis vows to help man charged with beheading Iowa Capitol’s Satanic Temple statue

Link Copied to Clipboard