Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

With what we just saw in this past game it changes things.
We don't have to win 14 to 10. We can now score. Yes, we are contenders for the Super Bowl.

Legend
Legend
if I'd rank the team who I think could win it:

1. Baltimore
2. San Francisco
3. Philadelphia
4. Buffalo
5. Cleveland

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
IMO, if we were at or near full strength (Chubb, Watson, Delpit, JWills not on IR), NOBODY could beat us. We'd put up too many points and our D would just smother the other team. The road to the SB would go through Cleveland. It's unfortunate that fate decided that we we're too strong talent wise, that it felt it was lopsided to have to play us as is and cause our injuries.

BTW, here are the scenarios for us to clinch a berth this week:

The Browns clinch a playoff berth with:
1. CLE win or tie (vs Jets) OR
2. PIT loss or tie (vs Seahawks) OR
3. BUFF loss (vs Patriots) OR
4. JAX loss or tie (vs Panthers) OR
5. HOU loss or tie (vs Titans) + IND loss or tie (vs Raiders)

Last edited by boofers20; 12/26/23 08:40 PM.
Legend
Legend
I agree .. heck, if we just had Chubb I think we'd win it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns can absolutely reach the Super Bowl. Any team can win on any given week amongst the contenders in the AFC.

When the news broke that Watson was out for the season I resigned myself to thinking the divisional round was about the furthest the team could go.

With the confidence the team is playing with and the way Flacco is playing, anything is now possible. They may get beat in the WC round but either way, this team has been incredibly easy and fun to root for. Much different vibe from many of the teams through the 00's, 10' and early 20's. This Browns team has that 80's Browns feel.

It's been enjoyable living in the moment.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Yet to be determined.!

I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade or tell anyone they should not enjoy the Browns wins...but, until it's official and the Browns are scheduled to play a playoff game, I won't allow myself to consider the Browns a playoff contender.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No.

Better NFC Teams SF, Philly, Dallas and or Detroit.

Better AFC Teams Baltimore and Miami.

Browns fall into the category of Buffalo and KC. Good teams that may beat a better team on any given day.

Cleveland's defense can make a difference.

Not a bad place to be and not anticipated after the loss of Chubb and Watson.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IMO any team that makes it to the playoffs are contenders.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M
No, and as a Browns fan I think any talk of the Browns being a contender will instantly mean we start losing. Or we'll find a new and even more painful way to lose a vital game.

NI fact as a Browns fan I feel that, even if our chances of making the playoffs is 100%, to talk about being a SB contender will result in us Missing the playoffs.... I think we can win against any team. You won't hear me suggest we are contenders, not even to myself in the quietest most remote part of my brain.

Last edited by mgh888; 12/27/23 05:13 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
If we make the playoffs, then we are contenders.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Here's my question: assuming we get the 5 seed, we are basically a lock to play at the AFC South champ. Which team do we prefer? At Jacksonville, At Houston, or At Indianapolis?

My answer: At Indianapolis

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
if I'd rank the team who I think could win it:

1. Baltimore
2. San Francisco
3. Philadelphia
4. Buffalo
5. Cleveland

Assuming Flacco and Stefanski continue their current pace (the interceptions have to come down in the playoffs though), I'd put us second on this list. A dominant defense with an offense that scores points and a team that is peaking at the right time...yeah, I'd put us second.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Here's my question: assuming we get the 5 seed, we are basically a lock to play at the AFC South champ. Which team do we prefer? At Jacksonville, At Houston, or At Indianapolis?

If we win the first game who would we play next? This feels like it is shaping up to be a Joe Flacco returns to Baltimore in the playoffs scenario.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I do think there is a difference between making the playoffs and being a contender.

That sounds like an oxymoron but I think it is true. Any team from the NFC or AFC South that makes the playoffs. I do not see them as contenders. None of those teams are good enough to run the table.

I never thought this before but I do not see a team from the AFC West running the table. KC will not repeat. They are a broken team. No matter what Mahomes does the team is not good enough.

In the AFC: The Contenders are.

In no particular order.

Dolphins
Bills
Ravens
Browns

In the NFC:

Niners
Eagles
Lions
Cowboys
(Rams) remote chance

In the AFC the Ravens are right now the most complete team. But they can be beaten.

So once playoff brackets are in place. Then it becomes who do you draw?

Legend
Legend
We are contenders until we're eliminated from contention.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Let's also remember players that were placed on the IR are illegible to return for the post season. Do we have some players on the IR now that will be able to come back and play in the playoff? A tackle and a safety or two could be huge help.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We do have a few guys who may return.

Delpit, Ogbo, Thornhill, Hopkins, Bojoquez.

Unfortunately, no tackles will return. And that is one area where it could be a problem. We will face good pass rushers.

Christian and Hudson are well below average and that is being kind.

Our weakness is at tackle and running back. And the two go together which is not good. There are some ways to compensate. The run game can be converted to screens, and blocking schemes to open some space for the runners. We will use two TE's and other jumbo packages.

Passing attack will be about getting the ball out. Play action with timing routes to qb drops and quick releases. Joe cannot be holding the ball.

We cannot continue with it being ok turning the ball over. We will go home fast doing that.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz

If we win the first game who would we play next? This feels like it is shaping up to be a Joe Flacco returns to Baltimore in the playoffs scenario.
Yeah, that's who we'd play unless Buffalo/Miami (whoever is the 6 seed) upsets KC

All Pro
All Pro
all the world for a home playoff snow globe game

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
Legend
Legend
Absolutely. Without a doubt.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the term Any Given Sunday applies here. Any team who makes the playoffs has a chance. But the Browns will need at least a couple of Any given Sunday's in a row to make the SB. It can most surely happen but the odds aren't good.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Our OT 's aren't good, although I'll give them credit for their effort, and our running game isn't the best. I would give Strong some reps to see what he can do. If we were healthy obviously our chances would be much better.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
My preference on who i want us to face in round 1 is in this order. 1.Indy 2.Jax 3.Houston I also think KC will win out and Miami will lose out and the Chiefs will leap frog Miami for the 2 seed and Buffalo will grab the third spot playing Miami back to back.

2nd String
2nd String
YES!

[Linked Image from images.radio.com]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Every game can go haywire.

But from the way I look at the AFC today. The Browns can beat any team in the AFC.

As far as pure match-ups Miami IMO is our worst match-up. They have the best offense in yards per game and points per game.

Tua leads the NFL in yards and Hill leads in receiver yards. Raheem Mostert is fourth in rushing with 1012 yards.

They can negate our pass rush because their scheme is all about "get the ball out quickly."

We can score on them but they are hard to slow down on offense. I would rather face the Ravens than Miami.

All Pro
All Pro
I wouldn't bet on it happening. Too many injuries. But that hasn't seemed to be a problem yet. If it happens, then someone's getting a statue in Cleveland.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by boofers20
IMO, if we were at or near full strength (Chubb, Watson, Delpit, JWills not on IR), NOBODY could beat us. We'd put up too many points and our D would just smother the other team. The road to the SB would go through Cleveland. It's unfortunate that fate decided that we we're too strong talent wise, that it felt it was lopsided to have to play us as is and cause our injuries.

BTW, here are the scenarios for us to clinch a berth this week:

The Browns clinch a playoff berth with:
1. CLE win or tie (vs Jets) OR
2. PIT loss or tie (vs Seahawks) OR
3. BUFF loss (vs Patriots) OR
4. JAX loss or tie (vs Panthers) OR
5. HOU loss or tie (vs Titans) + IND loss or tie (vs Raiders)

I don't even think you'd see the difference between Watson and Flacco. The way he's playing, he's actually better than Watson. But your point is well taken. Give us our starting Oline and Chubb and I agree, we take the whole thing. Hell, we may do it anyway.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Every team is pretty flawed right now with the exception of Baltimore. The Ravens look pretty complete. We beat them and I think we could again but I wouldn’t put a lot of money on it.

As I said in another thread.. no one wants to play a team with nothing to lose. There’s no realistic expectation that we should win given our comically ridiculous injury situation. And yet…

wouldn’t want to play us if I was any other team in the playoffs. We’re pretty unpredictable and we seem to be operating on like 50% fairy dust. Every few years some team seems to get hot held together by chewing gum, twine, and magic. Maybe this year that teams us?

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jeepnstein
I wouldn't bet on it happening. Too many injuries. But that hasn't seemed to be a problem yet. If it happens, then someone's getting a statue in Cleveland.

If major injuries were eventually going to hold us back, it would have happened by now.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
That is why we watch sports because it is unpredictable. The best teams in baseball this year never got to the World Series.

When we beat the Niners with PJ. I was in shock. I did not see us doing that. When we beat the Ravens in their house. Again did not see that coming.

I have always believed that the difference between teams in the NFL is not that great. Sure the bottom feeders are bad now. But teams with winning records are pretty close. Close enough that games can always be in question. Turnovers change games. Then add the wacko stuff that can happen. Bad snaps. Wide right. Kick returns.

Another important factor is health. Not just who isn't playing but guys that play injured and don't play well.

The Ravens look good right now. I agree. Lamar is having a great year. He can also have a bad game at the wrong time. His playoff record is not good.

The Browns IMO have an edge. They have played through so much. They are iron forged. They believe they can win against any team. They don't play afraid. They are playing aggressively with confidence.

That can go a long ways. When you have a defense that is as capable as the Browns. You are a problem.

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
Legend
Legend
we've had about 3-4 wins that left me speechless: SF, at IND, at BAL, CHI .. maybe even JAX and PIT

L
Legend
Legend
L
Let’s clinch a playoff spot first, before we start thinking about a a SB title.
But, yeah, we are. I fear no team. We’ve already beaten the Super Bowl favourites.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think we should be able to hang with anyone in the AFC except for Miami. While I've always thought that Lamar poses problems for our D, the numbers don't really establish that as fact. And if Flacco went into Baltimore I'd expect him to rain fire.
Miami has the kind of firepower on offense to overwhelm our D over the course of a game.
In the NFC, I wouldn't want to face SF again, and Dallas looks scary these days. Maybe add Philly to that list.

I think we have a legit shot, but it's VERY matchup dependent.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I made the same point about Miami. They are the best offense in football.

The Browns have gone all in on the mantra of 1-0. Coach cliche sure but in our case it works. It works because of all the adversity they have faced since the second game of the season.

We keep stacking wins now. We become more dangerous each week. Joe gains more chemistry. We are hopefully getting some guys back on defense. In the meantime the guys playing are gaining experience and playing well.

Our biggest hole is OT's and the run game. We are adapting to that, but it will not turn into a strength.

Let's get this one tonight out of the way.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt OT's are the weak line position, but they aren't playing poor....maybe marginally good.

I think that is the problem in the running game and why people think a guy like Ford lacks. No doubt Hunt is pretty much done. He has lost his burst, but at RT you need a bulldozer in the run game if you want to run wide. We just don't have that which makes it easier for a D to guard against the run.

My feeling is we need to be thinking a RT in the draft if the right guy is there. It has to fit close to BPA and all, but you can usually find solid RT candidates in the 2nd/3rd round. Conklin is good when he is out there, but it is evermore sketchy he will be out there. We need better to back up and or take over the position.

Just win today and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Not sure about the future of Wills.

But Dawand Jones I like him a lot. He was outstanding in pass protection.

Conklin is terrific in run blocking. Obviously he has not been able to stay on the field.

I will not be surprised to see us in 13 personnel.

Legend
Legend
I agree with your closing sentiment. And to respond to the thread's title, we are not SB contenders yet. A team isn't a contender until it is in. So unleash the Elf, get the notch tonight, and then contend clear to the end! It is wonderful playing "meaningful football" this late in the season for playoff berths.
Go,Browns!

Last edited by Bard Dawg; 12/28/23 11:25 AM. Reason: Corrected auto-correct again

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Get the win tonight to put us in and then go from there. Yesterday was 59 years since our last championship. It would be fantastic to win one again!!! Surreal might be a good word!!

Legend
Legend
The one spot where I think we match up with Miami better than most is Tyreek Hill. We have JOK; the rare linebacker that can keep pace with him.

Bills - Eagles - Chiefs - Titans: All four beat Miami. I think we stack up against any of them favorably. Heck, we embarrassed the Titans. It'll be easier if the defense gets healthy, but since there is a real solid chance of facing them in the playoffs, we do have to consider it, but I think we can handle them.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The feeling about this team is very different from the past in a very positive way. A win tonight will further solidify whether it really is different or the same old same old. We are at home where our D has been dominant, a playoff berth on the line and we are playing a team that is out of it that has a poor O. We should win.

1 member likes this: JimDawg
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Are the Browns SB Contenders?

Link Copied to Clipboard