Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Legend
Legend
L
Looks like typical harbaugh choke job unfolding in rose bowl

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
Michigan defense put it on them in OT, glad to see Alabama lose

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The last play call by Alabama was mind blowing, really thought after all those timeouts they would come out with something better than that.....

A
Legend
Legend
A
Exactly what I said. Now, I'm a Buckeyes fan, and we had 5 (including my wife) michigan fans over for the game. It was nice to see a good game - score wise - in a bowl game. And yes, I can root for michigan if the Bucks aren't involved.

With that said, it wasn't the cleanest of games, but it doesn't matter. Style points don't count.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
College football is about to be high school football on steroids. The college football that we've know for the last 45 years was great but it's gone.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
College football is about to be high school football on steroids. The college football that we've know for the last 45 years was great but it's gone.

Are you meaning with transfers and such? If so, what do you think is a better solution? Holding players hostage, and making them sit a year was bogus to start with. Coaches can lie right to players' faces, and then leave the next day for greener pastures, but players are stuck because the signed an NLI. The do think the money these players are making is insane, but again, what's the alternative? They are supposedly going to change the rules for 1 "free" transfers, then making subsequent transfers more difficult after that.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Muck Fichigan…. I hope Washington curb stomps them.

My thought on the NCAA. They need to stop the transfer portal from opening until all bowl games have been played. Players shouldn’t bail on their team before playing their final game.

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Hammer
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg

My thought on the NCAA. They need to stop the transfer portal from opening until all bowl games have been played. Players shouldn’t bail on their team before playing their final game.

That wouldn't solve anything anyway. If the player knows they will be transferring, and most would I assume, why would they risk getting hurt in a game that could then affect their next season somewhere else? And players won't play in meaningless games either if they plan to go pro.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg

I thought the same thing, but came to the conclusion the players would already know they were going to leave, so I don't think it would change much. Guys even opt out if their teams get in to the playoffs.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by cle23
Are you meaning with transfers and such? If so, what do you think is a better solution? Holding players hostage, and making them sit a year was bogus to start with. Coaches can lie right to players' faces, and then leave the next day for greener pastures, but players are stuck because the signed an NLI. The do think the money these players are making is insane, but again, what's the alternative? They are supposedly going to change the rules for 1 "free" transfers, then making subsequent transfers more difficult after that.

As a fan I understand why people don't like it. We saw what happened to OSU as a result. But I certainly don't blame the players. The rules now allow them not to feel they owe or are obligated to their teams what their teams don't owe or are obligated to them. Players want to play. If they can't get on the field or aren't happy with where they are, they shouldn't be obligated to be stuck there. During the recruiting process they are promised the moon but that's often times not the way things turn out. Those players who see their career as the NFL owe it to themselves and their future career to create the best possible opportunity to showcase their talent in college.

Often times that's not a pleasant experience for the fans.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

One thing the Michigan victory over Alabama does is to prove the old saying that cheaters never prosper is false.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jfanent
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The transfer portal doesn’t bother me at all. I’m more concerned about players opting out during the playoffs. I mean look at Florida State for example - their top players chose not to play in their bowl game, and look at the result. I don’t blame these guys one bit for opting out. I just can’t see a solution. Some radio host was saying to cut coach pay and give the cash to the players as an incentive to play. -How much though? Say you cut the coach pay by a million to give to the players. 1000000 / 53= 18,867 per player whereas a player picked at the top of the third round alone can expect a contract of 5.8 million and a signing bonus of 1.2 million guaranteed. I have no clue how to fix it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The transfer portal doesn’t bother me at all. I’m more concerned about players opting out during the playoffs. I mean look at Florida State for example - their top players chose not to play in their bowl game, and look at the result. I don’t blame these guys one bit for opting out. I just can’t see a solution. Some radio host was saying to cut coach pay and give the cash to the players as an incentive to play. -How much though? Say you cut the coach pay by a million to give to the players. 1000000 / 53= 18,867 per player whereas a player picked at the top of the third round alone can expect a contract of 5.8 million and a signing bonus of 1.2 million guaranteed. I have no clue how to fix it.

I think the bowl games are a lost cause at this point. I would much rather see a level added. Separate the NCAA Division 1 teams. Expand the playoffs to 16 for the major conference teams only and hold those games at the major bowl revenues. Then have all of the mid major teams stay as NCAA Division 1 teams and have a 16-team playoff and hold them at the lesser bowl revenues. More post season games that matter then now. I would tune in to see Marshall vs Boise State, Toledo vs Troy if it was a playoff game. Just think of the prestige those schools get saying they were NCAA Division 1 National Champs. The Michigan vs Washington playoff Championship game would still be huge, and it would be the NCAA Major Division National Championship game. More meaningful football. Would help ESPN would help Mid Majors, and still have more meaningful playoff games than the worthless bowl games we have now. Only a few teams even played like the game meant anything this year.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Will never happen, the amount of money those bowl games generate can't be replaced.. The giving the money to the players and taking from the coaches won't work either. Theres enough money to just pay the players, you don't have to take from the coach to pay the players. The coach is a huge position in the program and can make or break school recognition and recruiting abilities. How many top players would go to alabama or LSU, or Michigan if they didn't have big name coaches.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c

One thing the Michigan victory over Alabama does is to prove the old saying that cheaters never prosper is false.

Did Michigan cheat to beat OSU? Iowa? Alabama?

Also, what's your thoughts on the rumor that OSU hacked an online film platform and was accessing opponents film?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't deal with rumors. I deal with results based on factual information. Harbaugh was suspended. Who knows what or how many teams he gained access to their play calls and cheated on? Let me know when OSU is investigated and their HC is suspended. It's not my fault that after all of that you're still in denial.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ohio State to hire Bill O'Brien as offensive coordinator: Ryan Day makes bold move giving up play calling - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-makes-bold-move-giving-up-play-calling/

Ohio State is set to hire Bill O'Brien as its next offensive coordinator, according to 247Sports' Dave Biddle. The move marks a major shift for coach Ryan Day, who will give up play calling as he continues to acquire talent -- both on his roster and coaching staff -- in an effort to get the Buckeyes back to the top of the Big Ten.

O'Brien, 54, served as offensive coordinator for the New England Patriots last season after spending the 2021 and 2022 seasons in the same position at Alabama. He also has Big Ten experience having been head coach at Penn State from 2012-13, a position he left to lead the Houston Texans from 2014-20.

Landing O'Brien is merely the latest eyebrow-raising maneuver for Day in the weeks since Ohio State's season ended on Dec. 29 with a 14-3 loss to Missouri in the Cotton Bowl. That disastrous offensive performance underscored the need for a new identity entering the 2024 campaign.

Given the roster that the Buckeyes are developing, O'Brien should be able to assemble an elite rushing squad. With TreVeyon Henderson returning for his senior season and former Ole Miss star running back Quinshon Judkins joining out of the transfer portal, Ohio State will have one of the nation's top backfields.

Kansas State transfer Will Howard appears to be the likely successor to Kyle McCord at quarterback after the Buckeyes' typically prolific passing attack took a step back in 2023. While Howard has a proven track record of success, he is largely considered a middling thrower.

O'Brien boasts and elite track record working with quarterbacks. His most prominent success stories have been Tom Brady with the Patriots and Bryce Young at Alabama. Young won a Heisman Trophy under O'Brien's tutelage in 2021.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd be curious what influence, if any, new AD, Ross Bjork, had in this decision.

Impact to Hartline? I'm sure he'll remain, but I'd imagine OSU will change his title.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yes, huge get! They are possibly looking to add a couple other Bama players too

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That is a huge pick up for Ohio.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
#1 qb from the 2024 class , Julian Sayin just chose to transfer from Bama to the Buckeyes as well.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ohio getting out the check book!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
#1 qb from the 2024 class , Julian Sayin just chose to transfer from Bama to the Buckeyes as well.

It's going to be much harder for Peen to brag about how much better the SEC is now that some of their top players are transferring to OSU.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

It's going to be much harder for Peen to brag about how much better the SEC is now that some of their top players are transferring to OSU.

Ryan Day is now in a must win situation. If he does not win the Natty with the roster Ohio built using $13 million in NIL $ then it will be confirmed. He was born on 3rd base. They are all in on 2024!

P
Legend
Legend
P
One man's ceiling is another mans floor. But this seems to be the reaction people who are not perfect themselves espouse while expecting perfection from others.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
To a few of the replies on here, it’s Ohio State tongue

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Ohio State are now the Yankees of college football. Let's see how it plays out. If it works, I can see the NIL becoming much bigger than it already is.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And Michigan is searching for a HC.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
And Michigan is searching for a HC.

The sky is blue. Grass is green. What other facts are we stating here? If the NIL thing doesn't bring a Championship, OSU will be searching for a HC too. Plus, Michigan has a HC. Sherrone Moore will be named HC any time now.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess Michigan refused to give him that immunity deal in his contract. Can you explain why a man who is innocent wanted an immunity deal in his contract? You never seemed to address that.

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I guess Michigan refused to give him that immunity deal in his contract. Can you explain why a man who is innocent wanted an immunity deal in his contract? You never seemed to address that.

I absolutely did address it. Maybe you didn't bother to read.

Also, Harbaugh has flirted with the NFL for 3-4 years now. Michigan offered to make him the highest paid coach in college history. He won a National Championship, but it's pretty commonly known that he wants a Super Bowl as well.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So he flirted with them for years but marries them when he is being investigated by the NCAA. Most would call that a marriage of convenience. There is no rational explanation for someone who is innocent wanting an immunity clause. Unless of course he has done something he needs immunity from.

One thing nobody can accuse you of is refusing to go down with the ship.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The Buckeyes are set to win their 3rd Natty of the century. However, I can't get away from the notion that come bowl/playoff time, these kids will choose to sit out of the games. Again, at that point, why play and risk an injury when they can assure themselves 6-7 figs a couple months later in the draft. I mean, make as much money as you can as quickly as you can is the best advice that I've ever been given by anybody.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
To a few of the replies on here, it’s Ohio State tongue

The Ohio State ! smile

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm copy/pasting this top portion of information from a site.

2022 – OSU took 4 players from the portal
2023 – OSU took 9 players from the portal
2024 – OSU took 6 players from the portal

Here's the top 15 for 2024, per ON3 portal rankings:

1. Louisville = 24 transfers in
2. Colorado = 22 transfers in
3. Ole Miss = 15 transfers in
4. FSU = 14 transfers in
5. South Carolina = 18 transfers in
6. NC State = 11 transfers in
7. California = 13 transfers in
8. Texas = 8 transfers in
9. Oregon = 10 transfers in
10. Missouri = 10 transfers in
11. Wisconsin = 12 transfers in
12. Miami = 10 transfers in
13. Syracuse = 11 transfers in
14. Kentucky = 10 transfers in
15. OSU = 6 transfers in

-------

I really wouldn't call them the Yankees. FSU, Miami, A&M in previous years have spent a bunch on recruits. Rumors of Ole Miss spent a bunch on the portal.

I obviously don't know what was spent, however regarding Sayin and Downs were almost Buckeyes during the recruiting process.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by cle23
Ohio State are now the Yankees of college football. Let's see how it plays out. If it works, I can see the NIL becoming much bigger than it already is.

This is what Ross Bjork was brought in to do for Ohio State. Generate big donor revenue and go all in on NIL.

He's going to have a larger payroll than some MLB teams. tongue

Go Buckeyes!

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
With the highest payroll in college Ryan Day will have to win now. Those donors are going to want a Natty next year, or they will want someone in that will win one. Ohio fans have high expectations. Add $$$ to that and the patience will be nonexistent. Ryan Day has under achieved since he has taken over as head coach and he will be in a win or else situation next year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly hope you don't hold your children to that same standard.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I certainly hope you don't hold your children to that same standard.

How many big games has Ryan Day won? Clemson in 2020. That is about it. Let's face it college football is much different than the NFL and Ohio can roll the ball out and beat 90% of the teams in the Big Ten as of now. That will change some next year adding more quality teams. But for Ryan Day he has had 1 game a year Michigan vs a team on the same level as his team. He is 1-3 and the 1 win was with Urban Meyer's players. His record in the playoffs is 1-3 also. That won't cut it when big $$$ is being spent on players. He was not paid to beat Maryland, Purdue, and Indiana. Beating Penn State does noy cut it either. That team should be on the level of the elites, but they are not. At least not since Joe Pa was there. He is paid to beat Michigan and at least win as often as he loses vs the SEC and the remainder of the country's best teams.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Ohio State Buckeyes

Link Copied to Clipboard