Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Does anyone really think Schwartz would be offered a HC job?

His track record as a HC has not been great at 29-52.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Hard to say if he would get an offer.

It all depends on the owner.

He may be placed in the category of good DC bad head coach. Although each owner has their own views and process.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Does anyone really think Schwartz would be offered a HC job?

His track record as a HC has not been great at 29-52.

Probably gets extra credit for even lasting that long in Detroit. Here's the last 25 years of futility... on the heels of having pro-bowlers all over the field and the best RB in football (Sanders) and never coming close. 12 coaches. Caldwell the only one with the full-time gig and a winning record, he was 0-2 in the playoffs. I don't think Schwartz will get much grief for his Detroit record from 15 years prior.

Bobby Ross 1997–2000.... 27-30
Gary Moeller† 2000.... 4-3
Marty Mornhinweg† 2001–2002.... 5-27
Steve Mariucci 2003–2005.... 15-28
Dick Jauron 2005 ....1-4
Rod Marinelli† 2006–2008 ....10-38
Jim Schwartz† 2009–2013 ....29-51
Jim Caldwell 2014–2017 ....36-28
Matt Patricia† 2018–2020 ....13-28
Darrell Bevell 2020 ....1-4
Robert Prince† 2020 ....0-1
Dan Campbell 2021–present.... 23-25-1

Last edited by FATE; 01/04/24 07:31 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Man, losing him would absolutely suck.

And that helps present the double edged sword. You want the best in the business at both the OC and DC positions along with a strong support staff in your coaching ranks. We saw just how much difference that has made on the D side of the ball this season. By contrast if they live up to those expectations it makes it hard to keep them around for long. In the Browns case with Schwartz it is sadly the nature of the beast.

Hopefully the right offer to lure him away this coming off season will not present itself and he will be here for at least one more season. I think that's the best we can hope for at this point in time.

That's what I'm hoping for as well. It would be nice to have him here another year or two at least to try and groom an underling as a replacement and keep some consistency.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He got off to a decent start in Detroit IIRC. It all went downhill for him after the Harbaugh jumping backslap.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Man, losing him would absolutely suck.

And that helps present the double edged sword. You want the best in the business at both the OC and DC positions along with a strong support staff in your coaching ranks. We saw just how much difference that has made on the D side of the ball this season. By contrast if they live up to those expectations it makes it hard to keep them around for long. In the Browns case with Schwartz it is sadly the nature of the beast.

Hopefully the right offer to lure him away this coming off season will not present itself and he will be here for at least one more season. I think that's the best we can hope for at this point in time.

That's what I'm hoping for as well. It would be nice to have him here another year or two at least to try and groom an underling as a replacement and keep some consistency.

I'd expect we stay inside the box with any promotion. Tarver has been an NFL D coordinator with Oakland.

No matter, keeping the D the same isn't easy when you change the coordinator. It isn't realistic to think you can slip new guys in and think things will be the same, though I wouldn't think that things would change that much in the ways of scheme.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Normally when I look at football it is all about talent and coaching. Or, maybe how we may game plan to beat a team. X's and O's.

Yesterday I listened to the Jim Schwartz presser. Schwartz is a no nonsense guy. He had some interesting comments. He loves the environment within the Browns. He thinks KS is the COY and it is not close. He knows how his players respond to challenges. He thinks our corners are the best in football. He likes how the players pick each other up. You don't see helmets thrown or people in each other's faces. He attributes all that to coaching and the internal culture of the team.

When you hear the pressers of players and coaches on this Browns team. It is amazing how uniform their message is.

There is a vibration about this Browns team that is hard to define. Unity is the word that comes to mind. They are a united team of single purpose.

I am no fortune teller. I don't predict because there is no way to know how things will play out.

What I will say is this Browns team has what it takes to win.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really disagree with you Peen and I think while you didn't expound on it, it's deeper than "scheme alone". I'm pretty sure you played sports back in your day and I did as well. Certainly not to this level but enough to get a feel for certain things. Some coaches are just natural born leaders of men. The way they coach, the way they lead, the way they make you believe, it's almost as though you would walk through hell for them. While other coaches simply do not instill that in their players. I think that may very well be a part of the difference we're seeing on the field.

Schwartz, since his presence in Cleveland in general, we've been seeing players who were back-ups, practice squad players and people signed off their couch playing like legitimate NFL starters. Now I've seen people give Berry a lot of credit for that and he certainly deserves some of it. But I would certainly hope people don't believe that's the entire story here. Sure I can't prove it and have no way of knowing it for sure, but the only time I've ever seen such marginal players step up this big is with a coach that has inspired them to perform beyond themselves.

I think there are certain intangibles in people themselves that are very hard and sometimes almost impossible to replace based on the X's and O's on a play sheet. I think it's the ability to lead men to go through hell and back for a cause, for their team or something bigger than themselves. Based on the overwhelming odds considering all the injuries incurred, I think Schwartz is a member of that rare breed of leaders.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
the other thing that seems to be true: we are very straightforward on D and it allows the guys to play freely without thinking. And then that stuff perpetuates and you get better and better

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Jester
Originally Posted by Jester
I am pretty sure that at one point Schwartz has said that he doesn't want to be a HC again

And as soon as I type that I go to cleveland.com and there is an insider article titled:

Browns defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz aspires to be a head coach again

Because it is an insider article I cannot open it but the title makes me look foolish

I do believe that in a presser he was asked the question and his answer was something along the lines of "all coaches aspire to hold the top job".

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
He likes how the players pick each other up. You don't see helmets thrown or people in each other's faces. He attributes all that to coaching and the internal culture of the team.

When you hear the pressers of players and coaches on this Browns team. It is amazing how uniform their message is.

There is a vibration about this Browns team that is hard to define. Unity is the word that comes to mind. They are a united team of single purpose.

When you consider what we fans have watched for the last 2 decades, probably the most unbelievable part is that this team didn't start coming apart at the seams by mid-season. You had Chubb going down and the corresponding absurd loss in Pittsburgh. Watson looking very bleh, then showing promise but going down with injury and the subsequent trouncing by Baltimore. Then the injuries and QB play that followed prior to Flacco.

Posters on here have used the phrase "this team is different"... and that's just it right there. This Browns teams (very much unlike previous rosters/seasons) not only didn't fall apart but actually came together.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Regardless of how this year plays out we as Browns fans have a lot to be thankful for. There hasn't been this much to cheer about since the mid to late 80's. I'd love to see a Super Bowl as all Browns fans do. It won't be easy having to win 3 playoff games most likely all on the road, but I've been pleasantly wrong about this team and am hoping for the best. thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M

Whoever made this video for the Browns needs a raise.

9:57 minute mark was pretty cool too.

Downside: JW rugrat sighting.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: JimDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
9:57 minute mark was pretty cool too.

Justin Hardee, a Clevelander from Glenville High School.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I knew it was too good to be true that JDubs came to his senses.

He just re-positioned those little goblins outside of the camera shot during postgame speeches.

2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, jfanent
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man

He just re-positioned those little goblins outside of the camera shot during postgame speeches.

Please help me to catch up:
What's a 'JW Rugrat?'
Who is 'JDubs?'

I miss certain things.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

What's a 'JW Rugrat?'
Who is 'JDubs?'

I miss certain things.

JW Johnson, Browns executive vice president and his kids. Jdubs is his Twitter name. He is also married to Haslam’s daughter

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
Does anybody have a copy of that gametime is paintime clip of JW? That will show all anyone needs to know about him.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

What's a 'JW Rugrat?'
Who is 'JDubs?'

I miss certain things.

JW Johnson, Browns executive vice president and his kids. Jdubs is his Twitter name. He is also married to Haslam’s daughter

Thnx, P. You've given me enough to get started.
I'll take it from here.

wink
thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by jfanent
Does anybody have a copy of that gametime is paintime clip of JW? That will show all anyone needs to know about him.

Legend
Legend
thnx.
gotit.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by jfanent

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Tackles are tackles.
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News and Notes Part Deux

Link Copied to Clipboard