Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2053815 01/08/24 03:32 PM
BADdog Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
What are some of your favorite recipes you like to make in the winter months?

Two of ours are Cabbage and Noodles ( I know this is a favorite any month but we tend to make it more in the winter. )
and Chicken Paprikash my moms family recipe.

Cabbage and Noodles , Haluski is made from four ingredients:

Egg noodles
Butter: The sauce to cabbage and noodles is lots of butter.
Onion: It adds another layer of flavor to the cabbage.
Green cabbage: It’s not haluski without the cabbage!
Salt and pepper: For seasoning

Yours?

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #2053884 01/09/24 07:06 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by BADdog
What are some of your favorite recipes you like to make in the winter months?

Two of ours are Cabbage and Noodles ( I know this is a favorite any month but we tend to make it more in the winter. )
and Chicken Paprikash my moms family recipe.

Cabbage and Noodles , Haluski is made from four ingredients:

Egg noodles
Butter: The sauce to cabbage and noodles is lots of butter.
Onion: It adds another layer of flavor to the cabbage.
Green cabbage: It’s not haluski without the cabbage!
Salt and pepper: For seasoning

Yours?

Sounds good. Too bad my wife can't eat cabbage, sort of like green grass through a goose, if you know what I mean.

We eat a lot of soup. A stock is chicken noodle. Everybody knows how to make chicken soup. I won't try to type all of that out. To me, the key is to use Kluski noodles. They are the best.

To use them, simmer the soup a good while, then turn off the heat and then add the noodles. Just let them sit in the covered pot for maybe 20 minutes. If they don't cook enough like that, you can always put on more heat for a while. In general I think people overcook noodles.

I can't buy those noodles here, so I stock up 4-5 bags when I go up to late season Browns games to keep me good until the warm weather breaks here in Tennessee.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BADdog Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Joe Thomas #73
BADdog #2053908 01/09/24 12:14 PM
Legend
Legend

Yep. Available on Amazon or shipped to your nearest Wal-Mart for free.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
BADdog #2053925 01/09/24 12:59 PM
Legend
Legend
Butternut Squash Soup and Potato Leek Soup.

Beef/Lamb Stew

Braised Beef/Lamb

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BADdog #2053934 01/09/24 01:31 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
We have made (3) large pots of Wedding Soup in the last few weeks.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Winter is a great time for soups and Chili. My Chili recipe is pretty good but I have to make it with my wife in mind so she likes it too which limits how spicy I can make it. That's the thing about Chili recipes, recipes vary greatly based on one's personal taste. We also love both pinto beans and navy beans with ham and onions. Of course that goes well with fried potatoes and corn bread. Not the healthiest combination but there are a lot of solid nutrients in the beans. The main tip I have for both bean recipes is that I've found that Cook's ham shanks give them great flavor. It's uncured, uncooked ham and not very expensive but adds great flavor. My wife has a wonderful recipe for Chicken Tortilla soup but I have no idea what that is. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
FATE #2053997 01/09/24 07:59 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE

Yep. Available on Amazon or shipped to your nearest Wal-Mart for free.

I know I can order them. I don't order much by mail. I just bring back enough bags to last me the winter. It's not like I use them more than once a month. Maybe twice if I make half bag small batches. I get the Mrs. Millers.

I also make chili, taco soup, clam chowder, lobster bisque, potato cheese, French onion, and veggie beef soup, not to mention stew. None of those use noodles.

Just a story about Weiss noodles....I didn't know they were even in production anymore.

Many years ago I answered an ad for driving a car to Miami...long story but I needed a 1 way drive to Florida. I was hired by the Weiss family...I think they lived in Shaker...can't totally remember, but I drove their car to Miami airport and met them at the gate and took them to their car. I had a family member meet me in Miami to drive me back to the Tampa/St Pete area to pick up a car I was buying. I was working the ore boats that summer while on college break and why I ended up in Cleveland a few weeks early, spending time with a friend and decided to drive a car for some extra cash rather than take a bus.

LOL...not much cash...he paid me $50....half to be used for a hotel, yes you could get rooms for $25 back then...not real good rooms...lol...Mr. Weiss gave me another $25 and the total of the gas receipts ( nearest dollar) I gave him when I was waiting at the gate...and he gave a nice letter of recommendation which I still have stuffed away somewhere. This must have been in 1971??

Last edited by Ballpeen; 01/09/24 08:24 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The main tip I have for both bean recipes is that I've found that Cook's ham shanks give them great flavor.

That's a first-class pro tip. Nothing adds as much depth of flavor to a soup or stew as a ham bone. My "Ham Bone Soup" with Great Northern Beans will make you say "sweet baby Jesus that's good".

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
FATE #2054004 01/09/24 09:54 PM
BADdog Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
My wife just pulled the Christmas ham bone out of the freezer and it's in the crock pot for 24 hours

Joe Thomas #73
1 member likes this: FATE
FATE #2054005 01/09/24 10:13 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The main tip I have for both bean recipes is that I've found that Cook's ham shanks give them great flavor.

That's a first-class pro tip. Nothing adds as much depth of flavor to a soup or stew as a ham bone. My "Ham Bone Soup" with Great Northern Beans will make you say "sweet baby Jesus that's good".

Sounds like some of the meat and three's I go to for lunch a few days a week.

A meat and three plate lunch restaurant offers 3-4 meat type entrees from which you select 1 and 3 veggies from which you select from maybe 6 or so options.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BADdog #2054007 01/09/24 11:02 PM
Legend
Legend
The eyes get wide when the fam sees me pull the ham bone from the fridge. 😀😋

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
....Potato Leek Soup....

This soup does not get the recognition is deserves!

Potage Parmentier. Simple ingredients; incredible taste.

This was the first recipe I made out of Julia Child's cookbook 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking'.

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Butter or whipping cream?

FATE #2054014 01/10/24 12:39 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Heavy whipping cream.

BADdog #2054032 01/10/24 11:57 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Chili - ground turkey or whatever meat was left over from running the smoker

Lasagna Soup

Chicken Tortilla soup

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
so, I have another site that is for the guys I've been gaming with for almost three decades, now, and on it we have a recipes section (Culinary Pwnage) and this is one of mine that bridges the gap between butternut squash soup and potato leek.
I don't generally measure when cooking, so the measurements are approximations. Feel free to substitute heavy cream for the milk.

Roasted Butternut Squash & Leek Soup

1 - Butternut Squash
3-4 cups Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
Leaf Sage (perhaps about 1 Tbs?)
1/2 Tsp Ground Cardamom
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
1 1/2 cup Milk (or Half-n-Half)
1 Tbs Nutmeg
1 Tbs Kosher Salt

Cut the Butternut Squash in half, lengthwise.
Put it in a roasting pan (or on a cookie sheet... whatever, Honey Badger don't care), cut side up and pop it in the oven @400 degrees until fork tender. It should only take about 25-30 minutes, but I left it in for a little over an hour without a problem (I was busy talking to someone, lol). It browned up a little on the surface, I think this added some flavor.

Pull it out of the oven and let it cool a little so you can work with it. Scoop out the contents and set aside.

Dice up almost an entire Large Leek.
In a stock pot (or a deep skillet... whatever, Honey Badger still don't care), sautee a large Shallot and the Leek until softened.

Add the squash, chicken stock, and everything else EXCEPT the milk and simmer for a wee bit.

If you have a wand mixer, you can finish it right in the pan, if not, lightly blend it all up in a food processor... or just mash the heck outta it with a whisk. Leave some lumps for character, though wink Either way, add the milk, then blend it all up. Bring it back up to a simmer just to warm it.

Season to taste with more salt & sage as desired.

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: Milk Man
Legend
Legend
Here's another. The one change I'd make to this is to sear/brown the outside of the meat before putting it into the roasting pan for the oven.

Stuffed Leg of Lamb

1 4-5 lb. leg of lamb, boneless
1 bunch arugula
1 bunch baby spinach
1 leek, quartered and sliced thin
minced garlic
1 dozen pitted kalamata olives, quartered
rosemary
thyme
marjoram
2 lemons
1 package feta cheese
olive oil
kitchen string

In a deep sided skillet, sauté' the garlic and leek in some olive oil, and just as it is almost done, add the arugula and spinach and toss it in the oil until the spinach wilts. Add the olive slices and the zest and juice of one of the lemons. Toss/mix and set aside. When it has cooled slightly, crumble all of the feta cheese into it, add the thyme and marjoram and mix well.

Take the boneless meat and butterfly it to open it up so that it lays flat.
Take a paper towel and pat the meat dry, then salt & pepper the side facing up liberally. Next, spread the spinach& feta mixture out across the meat, keeping it about 1/2 inch or so from the edges.

Then, starting at the small end, roll the meat tightly into a roll, just like a jelly roll. Using the kitchen string and knots of your choice, tie it up to hold that shape. I found that several rolling half-hitches worked well.

Mix together a few tablespoons of olive oil and some crushed dry rosemary (or fresh) and rub down the complete outside of the meat.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Place the meat into a roasting pan with a rack, add a few cups of water to the bottom and place it into the oven.

After 20 minutes, reduce the temp to 325 and cook an additional 60-80 minutes ( shoot for roughly 20 minutes per pound of meat ). Meat should come out approximately "Medium" to "Medium Rare". Use a thermometer to fully check.

After it comes out, let it rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Last one, and it's a doozy. I used to make the tortellini by hand, but the last couple of times I've made this I just used store bought. One thing, though, is that I feel it definitely makes a difference to cook the tortellini in water that has some beef boullion or beef stock added to it. You can use just plain water, but I think it is better with the beef boullion/stock.

For years, this was my Go-To food that I brought to any Super Bowl party. It's good cold-weather, stick-to-your-ribs food that will fill ya.

Sausage Tortellini & Spinach in Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

Pasta

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 eggs
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1-2 tablespoons water
1 tsp salt

There are a bunch of places that tell ya to make a well in the flour and add things in there... I said screw it and I dumped it all in a bowl and used an electric mixer to get it started, then I kneaded the dough by hand for about 5-8 minutes until I had a very smooth and even consistency to it.

Cut it into about3 or four pieces and work them into balls... wrap em in plastic wrap or a damp towel and let it "rest" for about an hour.

::waits an hour for you to catch up::

Lightly dust your work area with some flour, as well as the outside of the dough.. then start rolling it out with a rolling pin. Roll it, then rotate it 90° and roll again. You rotate it to keep the shape of it. Keep doing that until it is approximately 1/16th of an inch thin.

To cut the tortellini, I used a standard water glass turned upside-down. The average opening on them is about 3-1/4", which seems to be just about right.

The Filling

5-6 Johnsonville™ Mild Italian Sausages™ with the casing removed
1/2 lb fresh Mozzarella cheese (the real stuff - soft, creamy, etc... a Brie might work well also) (amount is approximate, because I have no real idea how much I used)
2 Tablespoons of fennel

I put the fennel in a baggie and rolled it with the rolling pin a few times to crack them a bit, just to let the flavor out.

Then, I just browned all of the sausage meat in a skillet with the fennel, making sure to break the meat into as small of pieces as I could (I actually ended up doing a little food processor action on it to really break it up). The point is, you don't want big clumps (big being defined as larger than half the size of a dime).

Drain in a fine strainer or a collander lined with paper towels to remove as much of the fat as you can. Let it cool.
While it is cooling, dice the mozzarella as finely as you can.. about 1/8" squares are good. When the meat is cooled, mix the diced/cubed cheese into it... there should be enough that with a 1/2 to 1 tsp clump, you'll get both meat & cheese every time.

Egg Wash

1 egg
2 tablespoons water

Whisk together them together in a small bowl.

Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

2 cups Heavy Cream
2 - 4oz packages of Gorgonzola (or Blue) cheese
1 teaspoon-ish of nutmeg

Dump all three into a heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir slowly and constantly until the cheese is completely melted and the sauce has reduced to a thin sauce. Remove from heat.

Bread Crumb Topping

1-1/2 cups of bread crumbs
1 cup of romano cheese (or parmesan, or asiago.. or all of the above)
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon oregano
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil

Just mix it all together in a bowl (as always, mix well all dry first, then add wet).

Making the Tortellini

Cut a circle of pasta dough and then place a wee more than a 1/2 teaspoon of filling into the middle of it. Brush 1/2 the circumference of the dough with the egg wash. Fold the other half up and onto the egg wash...the egg wash will act as a glue and hold it together. Then, take the corners and bring them around to each other in the front of it and "glue" them together there. Now fold the upper part down and back to finish the tortellini look.

I dont' describe the process very well, and in trying to find a video to help, I came across this demonstration, whose technique I will almost certainly follow from now on:

Now, you just repeat about 100 times.

Putting it all together

When you have a good amount made, get a sauce pan or deep skillet going with a bunch of water and some beef boullion and olive oil... bring it to a heavy boil.

Carefully dump about 15-20 tortellini at a time into the water, giving a little stir to keep them from sticking to each other or the bottom of the pan. Remove them when they float. Put them aside for now... on a plate or whatever.

Repeat until all of your tortellini are done.

Now, make your sauce, and when it is done, dump all of the tortellini into it, give it a good, quick stir to coat them all, and then grab two good sized bunches of freash spinach. Cut the stems off and discard... then give the rest of it all a rough chop and dump into the pan with the tortellini and sauce and stir it all in.

Now, dump it all into large baking dish (I think I used like a 9x11 baking dish...maybe it was 11x13? I can't recall).

Now, cover generously with the bread crumb topping.

Bake in the oven at about 350° for about 25-30 minutes.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Yo. That seems like an extreme amount of Nutmeg in that Roasted Butternut Squash & Leek Soup, maybe that should be teaspoon instead of tablespoon? Not trying to be a jackass as all three recipes look great, just noting that a full tbsp would be enough to ruin it.

Legend
Legend
Ok, I lied... one more, and this one is a family recipe. My Grandma's Swiss Steak recipe (straight from the churches of SugarCreek)

This is something I grew up eating, and this is the perfect time of year for it. It's just simple, good, stick-to-your-ribs eating.

Grandma Burris' Swiss Steak

Prep Time: maybe 10 minutes.
Cook Time: a bit more than 3 hours.

What you need:
4-6 Eye of Round or Top Round steaks.... whatever you can fit in a single later in your largest skillet that has a lid.

In a bowl, mix up some flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Maybe a cup of flour, then season as you see fit.
Dredge the steaks in the flour mixture, coating them well. Set aside.

Heat a lidded skillet and melt either some Oleo, lard, or a mix of butter and oil (Gram always used vegetable oil or Oleo, but I lean toward olive oil and butter). You want probably three tablespoons worth of butter plus probably the same in olive oil. You're looking for enough to brown both side of the meat while the flour will soak some of it up.

Get the oil hot, but not smoking, then add the steaks in a single layer, trying not to crowd them too much. Cook maybe five minutes per side to brown the outside.
If you're wanting to do a large number of steaks, either use two pans, or remove them as you brown them to make room for the next batch and then after they're all browned lay them back in the pan overlapping them all a little so they all fit. Don't overcrowd the heck out of it, though, or you won't have enough room for it to make gravy.
When the second side is browned, you're going to just leave everything in the pan (or add all the rest of the steaks back to the pan) and add about 4 cups of water... however much water it takes to fill the pan until the water is even, or just slightly above, the top of the steaks.
Turn the heat to High and bring to a boil, then cover with the lid and reduce to Medium-Low and simmer. Check it every so often, but you're going to just let it slowly simmer with the lid on for close to three hours.

As it cooks, the meat will become fork-tender and the water will reduce and work with the fats and flour and make a nice brown gravy.
In the last hour, put some potatoes on to make mashed potatoes to serve with it. The gravy is the PERFECT gravy (season to taste) for going over mashed potatoes.

Browns is the Browns

FATE #2054049 01/10/24 12:54 PM
Legend
Legend
Yo. That seems like an extreme amount of Nutmeg in that Roasted Butternut Squash & Leek Soup, maybe that should be teaspoon instead of tablespoon? Not trying to be a jackass as all three recipes look great, just noting that a full tbsp would be enough to ruin it.

Honestly, I don't recall, lol... it has been ages since I've made it, but the beauty is that you can start with a Tsp and adjust to a Tbsp if you so desire.
I do know that I liked it or I wouldn't have shared the recipe originally with the gamer friends.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
That sounds like a killer Swiss Steak recipe! I'm going to have to give that one a try.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BADdog #2054061 01/10/24 02:31 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Easy crock pot meal. I’m the only meat eater at home, so scale to your family size.

Italian pork ragu.

1.5 pounds of boneless, country style pork ribs.
1 can of chopped tomatoes (I usually get the Italian style with garlic added)
4-6 cloves of chopped fresh garlic (to taste, more is better in my mind)
1/2 a medium to large onion, chopped
Kalamata olives… this is again to taste. I usually get a 6oz jar and throw about half in.
Add a splash or two of the olive juice too
2-3 tsp of dried basil
Garlic powder to taste
No need to add salt. The olives do the trick.

Season the meat on all sides with salt and pepper. Brown them well on all sides in a skillet. Be sure not to burn the fond (that which sticks to the pan). Deglaze the pan by dumping in the can of tomatoes. Add this to the crockpot.
Throw the rest of everything in and stir a bit.
Set the crock to low and cook 7 or so hours.
The meat will fall apart. Shred it. Turn the crock up to high and remove the lid for about 30 minutes. It’ll enable the moisture to condense down some.
Serve over garlic mash potatoes.

This can be done with bone in country style ribs too. You just have to dig the bones out obviously. Cooking meat with the bone in does add more flavor.
For those that like a little spice, you can add red chili flake to the mix.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Add a little Parmesan to the potatoes for extra goodness. And not that fake powdered sawdust ‘Parmesan’. Shred a little of the real deal into your warm mashed potatoes. Gooey yummy goodness.

[Linked Image]
BADdog Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
[Linked Image from cdn.ebaumsworld.com]

Last edited by BADdog; 01/10/24 04:24 PM.

Joe Thomas #73
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... WINTER RECIPES?

Link Copied to Clipboard