Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2054027 01/10/24 11:29 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Three weeks ago we faced the Texans. The result was Flacco and Cooper ate them up.

That game was of course without Stroud who is their best player. However, Stroud does not play defense.

Flacco has won seven road playoff games, tying him with Tom Brady for the most in league history.

Flacco was in Houston three weeks ago.

The Texans just faced the Colts in a "do or die" game that went to the wire. They now are on a short week playing Saturday.

The Browns last played their starters Dec 30. So, 14 days of rest and preparation. The season is long and exhausting. Players are all hurting. The emotions of the game can carry you for a while. However, the second half the fresh team has an advantage.

The Browns defense depends upon qb pressure.

The Texans lost two left guards in Kendrick Green and Kenyon Green, a third left guard in Tytus Howard (who started the season at right tackle), and a solid starting center in Jarrett Patterson. Tunsil is one of the best tackles in the league.

We pressure the quarterback and count on our corners to cover. Nico Collins ripped the Colts for 9 catches and 195 yds. The rest of the receivers got 59 yards combined.

Schwartz will plan to cover Collins.

In rushing the Browns are 6th the Texans 30th.

In total defense Browns are Number One. The Texans are 14th.

If we play to our ability we have advantages in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Texans have been VERY good at taking the ball away from offenses. Our offense hasn't been great at hanging onto the ball.

If there is a path to a win for the Texans, it's that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
While it may not matter, often times you can get a clue of how a team will perform in the playoffs based on their latest performances. I don't think you can really add the games Houston played before Stroud came back, but in their last game, with Stroud starting, the Colts held the Texans to 23 points. The Browns certainly have a better D than the Colts.

The last two games the Browns played at full strength they scored 36 and 37 points respectively. That 36 point game was against that Texans D.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We need Cooper

Joe Thomas #73
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Texans try to attack aggressively on their first drive, just like they did against the Colts.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Those guards they've lost... is that since they played us???? If so, our DTs are gonna FEAST.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

All Pro
All Pro
Browns played on 12/28 not 12/30

[Linked Image]

When it gets cold and snows and the wind blows, you gotta be able to run the ball. - TR
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Right the 28th.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I want to win so bad.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
I want to win so bad.

Saturday can’t come soon enough

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Joe Thomas #73
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

L
Legend
Legend
L
Not an endorsement of PJ, and I’m not really surprised.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I don't know when they lost those guys.

Just read the article and copied it.

Legend
Legend
There is zero chance PJ is here next season.

I don't know when they lost those guys.

Just read the article and copied it.

I decided to go digging, those were before we played them the first time, so we'll be facing the same OLine as last time.
Since we played, they have also lost Safety Jimmie Ward to IR. So, their inability to cover Cooper should continue... or, more specifically, Cooper's ability to beat their zone should continue. Expect him and Chief to have big games.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/HOU/houston-texans/injuries/
https://www.nfl.com/transactions/league/reserve-list/2023/12
https://www.nfl.com/transactions/league/reserve-list/2024/1

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
If I'm correct and admittedly not sure I am but I believe the texans will have thier best two pass rushers back. They didn't play against us first game

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

Thanks. I think they will both end up playing. Our tackles are going to some help feom some chip blocking from our tight ends

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I didn’t realize their D was #1 against the run. Looks like we’re going to lean on the pass again, and we’re going to have to plan to get rid of the ball quick… again. I like hearing that CJ struggled against the better D’s they faced. I imagine we’re going to be blitzing frequently. I’m excited!

I usually don’t quibble about this sort of stuff but I do hate when they do these pre game matchup vids and it’s pretty clear they’re relaying the info from one sides perspective. It’s mostly what the Texans have to do to win. Doesn’t really matter of course but annoying.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Stroud will get pressured. That is part of our game plan.

We will need good coverage from our db's in total. However, Nico Collins will get more attention.

At this point you cannot change who you are. We played them 3 weeks ago. Flacco will recognize quickly what changes they will try after getting torched. They are a zone based defense. They may mix some coverages but they will not go away from who they are.

Schwartz will have some tricks ready based on down and distance.

Our strength right now on offense is throwing the ball to Cooper, Njoku, and Moore. Kevin will mix in some screens. We will throw it to Ford. We will run enough to keep them honest.

Play for the lead and then play to move the chains.

IMO our strengths will show up. Defense and Flacco.

1 member likes this: 10YrOvernightSuccess
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The regular season is done

Start of a play-off run with

Not turning the ball over !

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

CJ Stroud struggles vs man coverage. The Browns excel in man coverage. Just another reason to like this match-up for the Browns. I expect Schwartz to play man a great deal on Saturday.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

CJ Stroud struggles vs man coverage. The Browns excel in man coverage. Just another reason to like this match-up for the Browns. I expect Schwartz to play man a great deal on Saturday.

I agree but if ward doesn't play and let's be honest judging by his past history of injuries he very well may not, then we will probably have to play more zone. I still think we can win this game though

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
At some point in looking at this match-up it comes down to who is the better team?

I have listened to the tv talking heads. Watched the youtubers. Read the articles and watched the previews.

I am trying to be as objective as possible.

IMO we are the better team. Period. That does not mean that Houston cannot win. Every team in the playoffs has a chance.

As long as we do not "have a bad game" we will win. Having a bad game means critical mistakes. They can happen on a snap. Penalty that costs a score. Turnover that leads to a touchdown. Costly mistakes.

We have a better defense. We have more experience at key positions. IMO we have more "top end" talented players. Players that can make a difference in big games.

A team is offense, defense, and special teams one through fifty-three. We are the better team.

Let's go out there and win this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M

What an absolute desperate clown.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Other than your comment "desperate clown." Whatever it was you posted is not there?

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's a Twitter post. It's showing up fine for me.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The Twitter handshake has been pretty suspect on this site lately.

It's Hue Jackson jumping on the Browns bandwagon and kissing everyone's a$$ in the building. I think it may actually be a well engineered deep fake.

If ever unable to see a post, you can quote it and copy/paste the Twitter link.

Last edited by FATE; 01/12/24 12:30 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
ok

thx

M
Legend
Legend
M
I wonder if there are definitive and different stages of Battered Browns Syndrome?

I've gone from mild anxiety before every game - still watching each game and enjoying it but an underlying feeling that events/results will conspire to keep us out of the playoffs.... To feeling good that we'd make the post season, but to talk about potential and opponents and who we might meet and favorable matchups would somehow condemn us..... To now feeling uber positive about beating HOU but somehow the fact that I think we will win will mean that something catastrophic will/might prevent that from happening. Maybe it's all the same thing ... but it feels I'm making progress.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Tackman
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Mind games with yourself.

I feel really good about this game. Then I think if I feel that way and it goes poorly. I don't want to feel rotten.

I do think we are the better team. There are numerous reasons why I think we will win. But in the back of your head you know how cruel football can be.

For sure I will be nervous when toe meets leather. I want this game badly.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I feel this the game the injuries catch up to us. Houston got some big, game changing pieces back on both sides of the ball and we somehow got less healthy despite having almost two weeks and on the road. I think we are going to struggle on both sides. Would love a repeat of last game but that game meant nothing given whom they were missing.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Playoffs are about match-ups.

The Texans with Stroud struggles against man coverage. Man coverage is the Browns strength.

The Browns strength on offense is passing the ball. The reason is Flacco's experience. He can read a defense. The Texans play zone. Cooper, Njoku and Moore will find openings.

Myles Garrett leads a defense that pressures the quarterback. Stroud is a rookie. His numbers drop dramatically under pressure. The Browns get to the qb faster than any team 1.9 sec. Schwartz will bring pressure and do it in a number of different ways to confuse the rookie.

The defense of the Texans is not on the same level as the Browns. We will find ways to score.

The Texans are a young team that is surprised to have come so far. They have been in a win or out situation for weeks. They are now faced with a short week after a must win. The Browns are rested and prepared.

The Browns are the more talented team. They have more top end experienced talent.

A bad game with critical mistakes is the only way the Browns can lose this game. If we play a clean game. We will win.

Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We just destroyed this team and we had no kickers. They returned a kick for a TD.

The Texans schedule was 30th in difficulty. Last year the Texans won 3 games. They have had a great year. It ends today.
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

The Browns came into this season with lofty expectations. It was derailed by injury to their core talent.

They have overcome injury. They have played a difficult schedule and beat the top seeds.

Flacco has changed the offense. The Browns defense leads all of football in three and outs and yards per game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
QB advantage Browns
RB advantage Browns
OL advantage Browns
WR even
TE advantage Browns

Defense Line advantage Browns
LBs advantage Browns
DBs advantage Browns

intangibles advantage Texans

Browns should win the game easily.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

The whiny azz bawlbabies are starting early I see. Houston hasn't beaten a really good team this year, whether Stroud played or not. They played only 4 of the 14 teams currently in the playoffs. They were throttled by us and the rats, they barely beat the Baker led bucks and allowed them 37 points....and they beat the steelers.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
How did we get less healthy other than Ward, who is going to play?

Tillman is a non factor. He wouldn’t have made the difference between winning and losing.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I am oddly not nervous.

Not sure if that is good or bad.

Legend
Legend
From ESPN

(5) Browns at (4) Texans
Saturday, 4:30 p.m. ET | NBC | Spread: CLE -2 (44.5)

What to watch for: The last time these two teams played, Browns wide receiver Amari Cooper finished with a team-record 265 receiving yards in Cleveland's 36-22 win. The Texans didn't have their starting quarterback, C.J. Stroud, who was in concussion protocol, and Case Keenum stepped in and threw two interceptions. The Texans have the utmost confidence that they can beat any team when they have Stroud, so expect this matchup to be much different now that he's healthy. -- DJ Bien-Aime

Bold prediction: The Browns will win the turnover battle for only the third time this season. This is the first playoff matchup since the 1970 merger featuring a team that committed the league's most turnovers (Cleveland, 37) against the team that committed the fewest (Houston, 14). The Browns have been emphasizing ball security in their building ahead of this matchup, so that should play in Cleveland's favor. -- Jake Trotter

Stat to know: Stroud's weakness is solving man coverage. While he has the highest QBR in the league against zone coverage (74), he ranks 27th against man (39). His QBR decline of 35.1 is the largest from zone to man coverage this season. This weekend, Stroud will face a Browns defense that runs man coverage at the 10th-highest rate (47%) and has the best man defense in the league.

Matchup X factor: Browns cornerbacks Denzel Ward and Martin Emerson Jr. -- whenever they are lining up on Nico Collins. The Texans wideout had an incredible season, ranking second in yards per route run behind only Tyreek Hill. If the Browns' corners can shut him down on any given play, that seriously depletes Stroud's options. Emerson and Ward are good players, and this strength-on-strength matchup could decide the game. -- Walder

Game-plan key: I'm looking for the Browns to scheme some deep shots for quarterback Joe Flacco. He had five completions on passes thrown at least 20 yards downfield when Cleveland met Houston in Week 16. Can the Texans contain the Browns' vertical passing game? Read more at ESPN+. -- Bowen

Injuries: Browns | Texans

Officiating note: This game will feature two of the NFL's most penalized teams. The Browns were flagged 138 times, second most in the NFL, while the Texans were No. 5 with 132 flags. And Browns opponents were flagged 133 times, most in the league. However, referee Clay Martin's regular-season crew threw the fourth-fewest flags in the league at 12.4 per game. -- Seifert

Betting nugget: The Texans are 9-3 against the spread (ATS) in their past 12 meetings against the Browns.

Moody's pick: Texans 24, Browns 21
Walder's pick: Texans 23, Browns 16

FPI prediction: CLE, 50.5% (by an average of 0.2 points)

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season Gameday: Browns at Texans Match-up Texans vs. Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard