2nd String
Another possible 3 weeks of:

[Linked Image from people.com]

rolleyes

R
Legend
Legend
R
They were celebrating after every catch like he had just scored a TD every time.

Extremely annoying.

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Josh Allen is just a big choker

R
Legend
Legend
R
He did not play well on that last drive, imo.

Elway is to Cleveland as Mahomes is to Buffalo.

Legend
Legend

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Ouch!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
If the bucs lose it won’t be because of Mayfield.

I thought Baker played well - and I actually thought of one of your comments or one of someone's comments about him not being good enough to carry his team to a win.... TB were not a complete team and BM isn't in a special enough QB to make it happen by himself - he's had flashes and special games here and there, but it's not the exception not the rule. I thought he tried to do too much and that was the reason for the 2nd interception. Even with the two interceptions - the first one a catchable ball Evans tipped up - his rating was 94+.

Not sure what TB will do - but I imagine Baker will be in a team somewhere next year and be starting.

I think the poot showing by the 49ers v Packers is just what they needed as a wake up call. I think they go on to win it all.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/22/24 08:26 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Legend
Legend
R
My prediction is he will be offended by TB’s offer but it eventually gets done. Neither side has many options.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I would hope that BM has grown up a little in the last 24 months and lost some of that petulance ... I doubt many teams were knocking at his door. When he went to the Panthers he had to beat out the rookie, I think at TB he was in open competition early on?

But never underestimate the chip on his shoulder for sure. I can't see a better team for him to be on - and they have most of their draft picks.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Allen choked?

Really?

Did you see the plays he made? Choking should look so good. The field goal kicker misses 44 yarder in the wind and Allen choked.

1 member likes this: Hammer
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Allen did not choke. He played very well. I'd take him on the Browns anytime and in fact wish he was our QB. Baker played well too. He made some great throws. Baker is what he is. I was watching the game with some friends. When Tampa got the ball at the end and started their final drive, I told them Baker will throw a pick. 2nd throw he did and that was that. We've seen it all before......

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 01/22/24 09:48 AM.
Legend
Legend
"Has Baker earned the right to return?"

"He most definitely has," Bowles said of Mayfield, who led the Bucs to a 10-9 record and an NFC South title in the franchise's first year of the post-Tom Brady era. "Obviously, it's too early to talk about that and business is business, but Baker had a hell of a year. We love him. The guys love him. And we'll see what the future holds."

Baker had a very good game. Throwing darts down the stretch. He ended his team's hopes with the INT after leading them back into a possible Hollywood ending. 1:35 at his own 15... gonna have to keep doing what he had been doing -- throwing passes into tight windows. This one took a great play by the defender to send them home.

"Same ole Baker" Sure, why not. I wonder how many failed come-from-behind-by-14-points-in-six-minutes losses end in an INT? Probably 70-80%. But yeah, Baker sucks. People love to hate him -- I get it. I know he's not much more than a slightly above average NFL QB, but he's a gritty underdog and fun to root for.

Fun game. Good season for Baker, it will be fun to watch him from afar while we complain about how much our QB du jour sucks here in Cleveland. 🤣

Legend
Legend
I still have a hard time watching the Bills. It breaks my heart because JA should be wearing different colors. Knew it then, know it now -- the perfect AFC North QB. I call him Paul Bunyan. Runs like a bull and can't even get hurt, he'll run right over you and stare down, wondering why it's taking you so long to get up.

Josh Allen does this:

There were a few dropped passes. And Diggs just does not look the same to me at all.

Unfortunately, Josh Allen also does this:

The "hero ball" complaints are valid. Don't know when they get resolved but it will coincide with a championship.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Romo is awful. I was calling that back when he was the shiny new toy.

Equally awful is Greg Olsen. The new shiny toy.

You know, I actually don't disagree with you. Very, very few NFL announcers are great. The ones who I've felt over time that have been are usually former NFL HC's. Even Madden was good if you could translate what he was trying to say. willynilly

Former NFL HC's have had the experience of teaching players the game. They can fill those hours with play breakdowns, explain what each side is running on any given play and what they should be running based on reacting to the opposition. Bernie was great at that!

But at the same time I understand that these announcers have all of this time to fill. They just have to keep coming up with things to say even when they have nothing left to say. That leads to much of the blatering we hear. I'm not so sure any of us could fill all of that time with substance. Of course we're not getting paid too either so there's that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by FATE

"He most definitely has," Bowles said of Mayfield, who led the Bucs to a 10-9 record and an NFC South title in the franchise's first year of the post-Tom Brady era. "Obviously, it's too early to talk about that and business is business, but Baker had a hell of a year. We love him. The guys love him. And we'll see what the future holds."

Baker had a very good game. Throwing darts down the stretch. He ended his team's hopes with the INT after leading them back into a possible Hollywood ending. 1:35 at his own 15... gonna have to keep doing what he had been doing -- throwing passes into tight windows. This one took a great play by the defender to send them home.

"Same ole Baker" Sure, why not. I wonder how many failed come-from-behind-by-14-points-in-six-minutes losses end in an INT? Probably 70-80%. But yeah, Baker sucks. People love to hate him -- I get it. I know he's not much more than a slightly above average NFL QB, but he's a gritty underdog and fun to root for.

Fun game. Good season for Baker, it will be fun to watch him from afar while we complain about how much our QB du jour sucks here in Cleveland. 🤣

I still maintain that this team would be better in both short and long term had they stuck with Baker and the draft capital over Watson. Not sure how anyone can dispute that at this point. But hindsight is great. But that is also a knock on this staff. Making a move to make a move because your HC can't get it done with an injured QB, its almost like this year, we have the worst possible injury luck as could be, have 5 qb's, no running game, 1 receiver, 1 TE worth anything and still get to playoffs.. They say oh the culture here is different now... well guess who helped with that culture.. all those coaches you let go. Players are 100x more loyal to their position coaches than the HC if they have a good relationship. So now we are shaking up the staff again. I get trying to get better, but is this really the year you could really evaluate where you are? I said before, this would have been the year you just get everyone healthy and run it back and see how it goes then.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
They can dispute it because it has not played itself out to this point. And neither side has any conclusive answer at this point. And this year that same HC made the playoffs with four different starting QB's. Anyone claiming they know which way things would have turned out best at this juncture is doing nothing more than chasing rainbows.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by leadtheway

I still maintain that this team would be better in both short and long term had they stuck with Baker and the draft capital over Watson. Not sure how anyone can dispute that at this point. But hindsight is great. But that is also a knock on this staff. Making a move to make a move because your HC can't get it done with an injured QB, its almost like this year, we have the worst possible injury luck as could be, have 5 qb's, no running game, 1 receiver, 1 TE worth anything and still get to playoffs.. They say oh the culture here is different now... well guess who helped with that culture.. all those coaches you let go. Players are 100x more loyal to their position coaches than the HC if they have a good relationship. So now we are shaking up the staff again. I get trying to get better, but is this really the year you could really evaluate where you are? I said before, this would have been the year you just get everyone healthy and run it back and see how it goes then.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but weren't the Browns offering Baker a pretty decent extension during his 4th season before they were talking to Houston about Watkins? I don't remember the numbers, but I am pretty sure it wasn't highest tier elite QB money, but it was pretty good. Again, I may be way off base, but that is my recollection. Anyone else recall this.

BTW. I wanted him to succeed here, but was really turned off by his comments about his teammates after he left.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by leadtheway

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but weren't the Browns offering Baker a pretty decent extension during his 4th season before they were talking to Houston about Watkins? I don't remember the numbers, but I am pretty sure it wasn't highest tier elite QB money, but it was pretty good. Again, I may be way off base, but that is my recollection. Anyone else recall this.

BTW. I wanted him to succeed here, but was really turned off by his comments about his teammates after he left.

there was a rumor that he turned down 30m/year but that was said to be 100% false.. who knows

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...contract-with-30m-aav-before-2021-season

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

You know, I actually don't disagree with you. Very, very few NFL announcers are great. The ones who I've felt over time that have been are usually former NFL HC's. Even Madden was good if you could translate what he was trying to say. willynilly

Former NFL HC's have had the experience of teaching players the game. They can fill those hours with play breakdowns, explain what each side is running on any given play and what they should be running based on reacting to the opposition. Bernie was great at that!

But at the same time I understand that these announcers have all of this time to fill. They just have to keep coming up with things to say even when they have nothing left to say. That leads to much of the blatering we hear. I'm not so sure any of us could fill all of that time with substance. Of course we're not getting paid too either so there's that.

Hey Pit, No direct reply to you

I like this post and it reminded me of the Announcerless game in 1980 between the Jets and Dolphins

It was actually pretty good, IIRC, it was liked by many

Any of you remember that game and did you like it ?

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Regarding the time to fill, that is how I feel about the 24 hours sports TV & radio networks, their talk shows constantly. Sports is only so complicated and interesting. It can fill 24 hours on multiple networks. IMHO, that is why the coverage branches into the social crap. There are only so many minutes Xs and Os fill. Even draft time for 3-4 months each commentator has about 20 mock draft revisions.

The quality goes way down when the quantity is forced to last so long.

Legend
Legend
It wasn't going to work between KS and BM. I believe they were 2 egos showing a lot of immaturity at that point and time when both were having sophomore slumps trying to establish themselves in the pecking order the season after reaching the playoffs. We were correct sticking with Stefanski over Mayfield.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

[Linked Image from y.yarn.co]

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I think I would legit rather listen to Foghorn Leghorn than Tony Romo.

I'd rather listen to an actual foghorn than Romo.

Somebody please shoot me.
A better solution: shoot Romo. Win/win.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
rofl

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
I think I would legit rather listen to Foghorn Leghorn than Tony Romo.

I'd rather listen to an actual foghorn than Romo.

Somebody please shoot me.
A better solution: shoot Romo. Win/win.

Maybe we can get the kid from The Golden child to make the shot bounce off of Ed Mcman... I mean Romo and hit Collinsworth.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
R
Legend
Legend
R
Collinsworth is 100x better than Romo and Olsen.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
All 3 suck and are awful. Give me Moose, damnit.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Regarding the time to fill, that is how I feel about the 24 hours sports TV & radio networks, their talk shows constantly. Sports is only so complicated and interesting. It can fill 24 hours on multiple networks. IMHO, that is why the coverage branches into the social crap. There are only so many minutes Xs and Os fill. Even draft time for 3-4 months each commentator has about 20 mock draft revisions.

The quality goes way down when the quantity is forced to last so long.

I don't disagree with you in principal but I think there's more to it than that. If you could get everyone to watch all of the sports news at the same time you would be on to something. But it's a little more complicated than that. I'll use the news for example. A lot of the news I watch is late at night. After all of my normal evening viewing has ended. If 24 news wasn't available I would not have that option.

So I feel that the 24 news and sports channels are there so that no matter which shift you work or at what time you wish to fit viewing sports and news into your schedule, it is there and available for you to view. But I do know what you mean about the sports opinion shows. Same with the news opinion shows. One isn't really really sports news the other isn't really news. Which may be why I don't watch "news or sports" during the time periods those are aired.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
How lucky we were to hear Don Criqui back in the 80’s….And also to hear Pat Summerall and John Madden together in the 80’s and 90’s calling games. - That was awesome commentating.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
I can still hear it in my head.

"Good afternoon everyone. Don Criqui alongside Bob Trumpy..."

Legend
Legend
Collinsworth is 100x better than Romo and Olsen.At imitating a stick figure.

Fixed that for ya.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
L
Legend
Legend
L
back in the day announcers called the game and added a little color to what was happening, adding to the game but the focus was still the game.. I feel like these clowns nowadays never shut up, always some dumb story or anecdote like they can't have any silence whatsoever, takes away from trying to pay attention to the game.. then they do a bad job reporting on things happening on the field. Theres no good personalities left.. I would love Manning to get a spot, he and eli are atleast entertaining.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
How lucky we were to hear Don Criqui back in the 80’s….And also to hear Pat Summerall and John Madden together in the 80’s and 90’s calling games. - That was awesome commentating.

Dick Enberg was the best!!! I miss having people like him calling games.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by RememberMuni

Criqui and Bob Trumpy were one f my favorite all time teams. Summerall and Madden make me think of football because they were on so long, but Don & Bob I liked best. Maybe because they did some of my favorite Browns games, especially the 1886 win at Cincinnati and the Jets 2 OT game. I just loved listening to them call our stomping of the Bengals and destroying Boomer's :high powered" offense.

Legend
Legend
There was nothing like Charlie Jones saying "buckle up your seatbelts" when the Kardiac Kids offense took the field late in the 4th quarter of a close game. There were more than a few of those.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
This thread reads like the conversations heard in an assisted living facility.
Buncha Ole Phartz reminiscin' 'bout "them days that use ta was..."

Count me in.
Olde School did it with class. New School does it like [complete the rhyme]

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Count me in.

I can tell you I really like Jin Nantz, but I hate listening to Ian Eagle call a game. This is Nantz's last year calling football games, so Ian Eagle is becoming CBS's #1 play by play man. As bad as it gets!

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

Count me in.

Ole Phart? I can accept that. I love thinking of NFL from yesteryear.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2023 NFL Season NFL 2023 Post Season Divisional Weekend

Link Copied to Clipboard