Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Jury Orders Trump to Pay Carroll $83.3 Million for Years of Defamation saywhat

The jury found Donald J. Trump had acted maliciously in persistently attacking E. Jean Carroll. He was found liable of sexually abusing her last year.

Jury orders Trump to pay Carroll damages for defamation. Here’s the latest.

A Manhattan jury on Friday ordered former President Donald J. Trump to pay $83.3 million to the writer E. Jean Carroll for defaming her in social media posts, news conferences and even on the campaign trail ever since she first accused him in 2019 of raping her in a department store dressing room decades earlier.

The award included $65 million in punitive damages, which the nine-member jury assessed after finding Mr. Trump, 77, had acted maliciously after Ms. Carroll’s lawyers pointed to Mr. Trump’s persisting in attacks on her, both from the White House and after leaving office.

From the press room, we can’t see any reaction from Trump’s lawyers. They are slumped back in their seats. $83.3 million is a major number. And there may be more to come: In Trump’s other civil trial, the outcome has yet to be determined. Trump could be on the hook for hundreds of millions more.

“I will not comment on the verdict you have reached,” Judge Kaplan says, but he praises the jurors for their attention and focus, saying that they have given “all we can ask.”

In the press room, reporters gasped when the $65 million figure was read out loud.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/01/26/nyregion/trump-carroll-defamation-trial

All the while the Republican base is singing this in homage to trump.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

Legend
Legend
“I’ll say it with great respect: Number one, she’s not my type,” Trump told The Hill shortly after the New York Mag excerpt came out. “Number two, it never happened. It never happened, OK?”

“Totally lying. I don’t know anything about her,” Trump went on. “I know nothing about this woman. I know nothing about her. She is — it’s just a terrible thing that people can make statements like that.”

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
83.3 million dollars isn't rent free. rofl

And don't forget to pay the lady as you leave. naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Sad truth as I understand it- Trump will pay her with his PAC money- he'll do anything he wants. His MAGA idiots pay all his bills, he does live rent free.

All his connies do as the Master does- Bannon, a key advisor- he doesn't pay his lawyer AND wait for it- now he's concerned if they open up his finances they will find evidence he committed felonies stealing money from--"Build the Wall"---old saying- there is a sucker born every day===anyone sending ANY money to the Republican party or Trump has a screw loose.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
E
Legend
Legend
E
Maybe he will learn to shut his piehole. That would be a huge stride forward.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
The most interesting thing is this, the court can reach into his cash accounts and take the money. They don't have to rely on Trump writing a check or having some accountant write one for him...

JIMDAWG, he's living rent free because his supporters are picking up the tab. Folks like you perhaps. How does it feel paying for this losers antics and absurd behavior?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg

One can only hope, but I don't think it's possible to shut him up. He doesn't care about the money. His supporters are still sending in donations for his campaign and legal fees.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Cheers for your rapist guru.

$83.3 million dollars.

You see there are Laws that we must live by in this country. When you are found guilty by a jury of your peers. You are guilty.

trump is a criminal. Money will be the least of his problems because soon he will have free rent and meals to go with his new pin strips inside his 10x10 cell block.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by bonefish

$83.3 million dollars.

You see there are Laws that we must live by in this country. When you are found guilty by a jury of your peers. You are guilty.

trump is a criminal. Money will be the least of his problems because soon he will have free rent and meals to go with his new pin strips inside his 10x10 cell block.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2nd String
2nd String

Biden is a Pedo. Sniff Sniff...

Hunter and Joe are as filthy as the Clintons. All should be in jail and YOU KNOW IT!

Joe and Hunter should already be in jail and warming up the cell for Trump being unjustly put in with them.

Legend
Legend

LOL.

You used the word "learn" in reference to Donald John Trump.

#yousofunny

"too many notes, not enough music-"
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted by FATE
“I’ll say it with great respect: Number one, she’s not my type,” Trump told The Hill shortly after the New York Mag excerpt came out. “Number two, it never happened. It never happened, OK?”

“Totally lying. I don’t know anything about her,” Trump went on. “I know nothing about this woman. I know nothing about her. She is — it’s just a terrible thing that people can make statements like that.”

The first court case already proved beyond a reasonable doubt that this nonsense is bs and lies.

Legend
Legend
Uh. that has nothing to do with the quotes.

Those are the two statements he made that she's getting 83M for. rofl

A. It's crazy as all get out.
B. I'm with Eve, maybe the dolt will finally learn to shut his fat mouth (not likely).

E
Legend
Legend
E
Jc

My understanding of defamation is that you have to prove damages. What did Trump say that caused 83 million in damages?

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

E
Legend
Legend
E

Surely it has to be something worse than that. That is just saying "No, I didnt do it"

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
"Oh, look over there a balloon."

If trump was not rich, orange, and not been a president. He would be behind bars today.

The Clintons have not been indicted 91 times. Hunter is nothing but irrelevant.

"you can grab them by the ****y, you can do anything when you are a star."

trump is a rapist but that is ok because he wants immunity. He wants to be free to commit crimes and not go to prison.

Well it is not going to work that way.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by JimDawg

$83.3 million dollars.

Nice self pic Jim

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Interesting that trump now is attacking the courts. Pretty obvious right. He believes he is above the law and wants to be free to commit more crimes.

Kind of like dictators right? Have critics killed. Control the media. Have complete unquestioned authority like Putin and Un his pals.

People have sacrificed their lives for the freedoms we have in the US. trump has no interest in honest elections. He has done all he could to stop that process.

Jimbo wants no part of democracy. He wants an orange dictator.

Legend
Legend

Surely it has to be something worse than that. That is just saying "No, I didnt do it"

Nope. He was already found guilty for previous statements calling her a "whack job" and saying the case was a "hoax". In the previous case he was found guilty of sexual abuse and defamation and she was awarded 5 million...

In the trial to resolve Carroll's first suit in May 2023, a jury found Trump liable for defamation and sexual abuse, and awarded Carroll $5 million.

Before the second trial got underway, the judge ruled that Carroll was telling the truth about the assault, and that Trump's statements denying her claims were defamatory. The jury was tasked only with deciding what damages Carroll was entitled to receive.

Kaplan — who is not related to Lewis Kaplan, the judge overseeing the case — then asked the jury to award Carroll at least $24 million in compensatory damages. She walked the jury through the first statements Trump made in 2019, and the many times he has repeated his claims — that he's never met Carroll, that she isn't his "type," that he didn't assault her and that the case is a "hoax" — since then, including some just days earlier.

And although the judge gave Kaplan plenty of space to describe other times Trump called her "a liar" or used the word "hoax" the case was based on those first two statements:

Though the lawsuit concerned only two sets of remarks Trump made as president, Carroll’s lawyers presented evidence demonstrating that Trump has continued to make similar comments about Carroll through the present day, despite having been found liable for defamation in both the earlier case and by the judge in this one.

Originally, the defamation suit was DOA since he made the comments in the capacity of POTUS, then...

At the time, Trump's Attorney General Bill Barr blocked the lawsuit, arguing Trump had made the comments in his official capacity as president. This caused the lawsuit to be stuck in court for several years.

In 2023, Biden's Justice Department reversed course and allowed the first lawsuit on defamation to move forward. In part because of the 2023 decision that had found Trump liable for assault, Judge Kaplan ruled that Trump had defame Carroll in 2019 and that the former president was also liable.

There is also an upcoming case (April) for more defamation and battery...

She sued him again in November when he made what she says were other defamatory statements about her in a social media post that Trump wrote in October.

Her second lawsuit also alleges battery, a claim that was allowed under a new New York state law that allows adults a one-year grace period to file lawsuits alleging sexual abuse that occurred outside of the time frame normally allowed by the statute of limitations.

Trial in the cases has been set for April.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Biden is a Pedo. Sniff Sniff...

Hunter and Joe are as filthy as the Clintons. All should be in jail and YOU KNOW IT!

Joe and Hunter should already be in jail and warming up the cell for Trump being unjustly put in with them.

When you talk about the pedo stuff and the Hunter stuff, you’re talking conjecture. In this case, we have a court ruling.

Also why are we talking about jail? This is a civil ruling.

What is wrong with this country…

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

It is. He said several things, several times while being president and afterwords..............

“I’ve never met this person in my life. She is trying to sell a new book—that should indicate her motivation,” he wrote at the time. “It should be sold in the fiction section.”

On the White House South Lawn the next day, a reporter asked Trump about Carroll’s accusations as he headed outside to board Marine One.

Despite the former president’s claim he hadn’t met Carroll in his written statement, the reporter noted a photograph showing both of them together in the 1980s.

“Standing with coat on in a line—give me a break—with my back to the camera. I have no idea who she is,” Trump replied. “What she did is—it’s terrible, what’s going on. So it’s a total false accusation and I don’t know anything about her.”

Those are just a couple more examples. Free speech is what he is standing on but there are laws against defamation that limit what you can say in public about people.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Jc

My understanding of defamation is that you have to prove damages. What did Trump say that caused 83 million in damages?

That’s actually a really good point you bring up. With defamation, though, if you can tack on, “actual malice” you open up the gateway to punitive damages which it seems on its face was an element here. I think those two statements FATE brought up were also crux in the actual malice portion as well.

I’d be glad to dissect a written ruling if there is one.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

It is. He said several things, several times while being president and afterwords..............

“I’ve never met this person in my life. She is trying to sell a new book—that should indicate her motivation,” he wrote at the time. “It should be sold in the fiction section.”

On the White House South Lawn the next day, a reporter asked Trump about Carroll’s accusations as he headed outside to board Marine One.

Despite the former president’s claim he hadn’t met Carroll in his written statement, the reporter noted a photograph showing both of them together in the 1980s.

“Standing with coat on in a line—give me a break—with my back to the camera. I have no idea who she is,” Trump replied. “What she did is—it’s terrible, what’s going on. So it’s a total false accusation and I don’t know anything about her.”

Those are just a couple more examples. Free speech is what he is standing on but there are laws against defamation that limit what you can say in public about people.

The defamation suit was based on the two statements I posted. The statements he made while president. Yes, he made other statements, those weren't the basis of the lawsuit.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
At the time, Trump's Attorney General Bill Barr blocked the lawsuit, arguing Trump had made the comments in his official capacity as president.

Which is a crazy excuse. Nothing about what trump was saying had anything to do with his "official capacity as president". Just like trying to use that excuse to get away with applying pressure state officials to change the election results. Nothing about either of those things has to do with a president's official capacity.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
At the time, Trump's Attorney General Bill Barr blocked the lawsuit, arguing Trump had made the comments in his official capacity as president.

Which is a crazy excuse. Nothing about what trump was saying had anything to do with his "official capacity as president". Just like trying to use that excuse to get away with applying pressure state officials to change the election results. Nothing about either of those things has to do with a president's official capacity.

Not gonna argue "crazy". It's still an excuse that has been used for over 200 years. I'm actually glad that shield has been pierced, well, as long as it holds true for others and not just "Orange Man".

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You mean in the actual filing of the law suit? But that's not all the testimony the jury heard. From your post above.....

Though the lawsuit concerned only two sets of remarks Trump made as president, Carroll’s lawyers presented evidence demonstrating that Trump has continued to make similar comments about Carroll through the present day, despite having been found liable for defamation in both the earlier case and by the judge in this one.

A jury makes its decision based on the evidence presented to it. So if you wish to ignore the evidence presented to them, then you are correct. But the jury heard much more.

There is a big difference in what was filed and what the jury made its findings on.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Lol. I'm not wishing to ignore anything, just stating the facts.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

Nope. He was already found guilty for previous statements calling her a "whack job" and saying the case was a "hoax". In the previous case he was found guilty of sexual abuse and defamation and she was awarded 5 million...

This isn't complicated. Eve didn't ask what was in the filing of the lawsuit. She asked how they came to that conclusion. They came to that conclusion based on the preponderance of the evidence that was put before them.

I find it deceptive at best to exclude what the jury head and the evidence placed before them while only including what was in the filing. So there was more to it than that.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
This was just the beginning of Trumps worst year ever…

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/27/24 12:50 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Most of it I don't believe will be settled this year. He's an expert at dodge and delay. Most of this will drag out into next year because of it. He's hoping he will win the election and pardon himself so he won't have to face justice. Anything to avoid accountability. And who knows, if it's left to the Republican party it just may work.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Trump’s Furious Reaction to E. Jean Carroll Verdict: ‘THIS IS NOT AMERICA’

The former president found a way to blame Joe Biden for the verdict against him.

Just minutes after being ordered by a jury to cough up $83.3 million to pay his rape accuser on Friday, Donald Trump threw a tantrum on social media blaming President Joe Biden for the verdict.

“Absolutely ridiculous!” he wrote on Truth Social. “I fully disagree with both verdicts, and will be appealing this whole Biden Directed Witch Hunt focused on me and the Republican Party. Our Legal System is out of control, and being used as a Political Weapon. They have taken away all First Amendment Rights. THIS IS NOT AMERICA!”

The former president made no mention whatsoever in that statement of E. Jean Carroll. Yet in a sign that he apparently has not learned his lesson from the massive monetary judgment against him for defamation, he mocked Carroll in a separate statement on Telegram.

“We asked for one Trial, on the E. Jean Carroll False Accusation Case, but the Judge wouldn’t give it to us, he made us have two Trials on the same Hoax, and then, on the second Trial, they were allowed to use whatever information they wanted from the first, but we weren’t allowed to use anything!” he complained.

“Our Legal System is in shambles! This is another Biden Demanded Witch Hunt against his Political Opponent, funded and managed by Radical Left Democrats,” he said.

The presumed GOP frontrunner then vowed that “in the end, we will win it all, and MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

Earlier in the day, he stormed out of the court room during closing arguments.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-furious-reaction-to-e-jean-carroll-verdict-this-is-not-america

He still doesn't seem to comprehend what defamation is.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
He's a victim I tell ya, a victim I say! Everyone who holds him accountable hates him I say! It's a plot! A conspiracy! They abuse him! Just ask trump!

Trump posted a flurry of attacks against Kaplan, the judge tasked with overseeing the trial, on Friday.

In one post, Trump described Kaplan as an "extremely abusive individual, the likes of which few have seen before!" In that post, he attacked Kaplan for not allowing his attorneys to use video of Carroll discussing peoples' perception of rape as evidence in the trial.

In another post, he attacked Kaplan for being appointed to his post by former President Bill Clinton.

"The only right, honest, and lawful thing that Clinton-appointed Judge Lewis Kaplan, who has so far been unable to see clearly because of his absolute hatred of Donald J. Trump (ME!), can do is to end this unAmerican injustice being done to a President of the United States, who was wrongfully accused by a woman he never met, saw, or touched [a photo line does not count!], and knows absolutely nothing about," he wrote.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-blas...hzAfBaLAWiWoII2DRtnJES-ey781diIB6nbVce6Q

Former president Donny. Get that through your thick skull.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
trump is in for a rude awakening.

The court of Law is not a campaign stop where you lie and your cool aide drinkers swallow.

When he takes the stand on a felony charge. He is going to get humiliated.

Over the next year we will witness the unraveling of the fat orange brat.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I feel like if they awarded 83 million in damages for rape, I'd be ok with that. But 83 million for defamation seems stupid. He didn't say anything too horrible and she should grow a spine. She has been on the news networks promoting her new book. She practically gloats about it. She is making out like a bandit.

No Craps Given
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
And that's fine for someone who has no idea what constitutes defamation and believes you should be able to say anything to anybody at any time. That's why juries are informed of what the laws and statutes are concerning defamation and what constitutes defamation rather than leaving up to peoples thoughts and feelings. They are then qualified to make such determinations.

#gmstrong
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Damanshot

$83.3 million dollars.

Nice self pic Jim

That pic isn't me. This one is though...

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I know your fantasy is to be a con man and pretend that you too are above the law.. And you have chosen a fine example of one to emulate.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
And that's fine for someone who has no idea what constitutes defamation and believes you should be able to say anything to anybody at any time. That's why juries are informed of what the laws and statutes are concerning defamation and what constitutes defamation rather than leaving up to peoples thoughts and feelings. They are then qualified to make such determinations.

The law says you have to prove that someone made false statements about you that caused damage. How did he cause 83 million in damage? That what I want to know.

No Craps Given
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump-Carroll Defamation Trial

Link Copied to Clipboard