Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Fortunately, Damar Hamlin is well.

Unfortunately, that fact will diminish what a few other players have done on the field... as I think people may feel guilty if they don't cast a vote for him.

Not saying that's even all that bad, just saying that it is.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
They all are deserving candidates.

I hope they all win their respective awards.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I would love to see our guys take all 4 awards. Would be a nice free PR bait for coach and player acquisition.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Joe Flacco Makes His Thoughts Clear About Being A Backup Quarterback

By Jalin Coblentz January 27, 2024 @CoblentzJalin

link

Joe Flacco gave the Cleveland Browns, and the NFL at large, one of the best comeback stories in the league this year.

Since he left the Baltimore Ravens in 2018, Flacco had not thrown more than six touchdown passes in any of his previous four seasons with the New York Jets and Denver Broncos.

However, in limited time and with almost no practice, Flacco was one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL for the last five games of the regular season and helped carry the Browns into the playoffs.

While the Browns ended up losing in the first round of the playoffs, Flacco’s end-of-the-season performance has shown other NFL teams that he can still play the game.

As such, the Browns have shown interest in bringing Flacco back next year to back up current starter Deshaun Watson.

However, Flacco made his thoughts about being a backup quarterback very clear on the “Dan Patrick Show” (via Twitter.)

“Everybody probably from the outside looks at back up quarterbacks like ‘man that’s a pretty good job you get to make a couple million a year, sitting on the bench’… It’s not a good job man, it sucks, it’s miserable. You want to be playing,” Flacco said.

Those who like the idea of being a backup quarterback obviously don’t have the competitive juices that Flacco does.

And he would know what it’s like not to be the starter, as he was New York’s backup, as well as the Bronco’s backup for the second half of the 2019 season.

If he’s serious about not wanting to settle for a backup role, the odds of Flacco returning to the Browns are small.

There will almost certainly be several teams who are in the market for a veteran QB to help lead their team, and Flacco should be a top candidate.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Well, Joe made his case perfectly clear.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Joe absolutely did. The only thing I can say on the subject matter is if he took the job as our backup, he may not be sitting long with DW's injury history. Of course, I hope DW stays healthy and plays like we expect him to play.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think any of that was a mystery before he said it. I highly doubt anyone with that competitive spirit has the goal of playing backup at any position. If they have the opportunity to be a starter they will take it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
However, Flacco made his thoughts about being a backup quarterback very clear on the “Dan Patrick Show” (via Twitter.)

“Everybody probably from the outside looks at back up quarterbacks like ‘man that’s a pretty good job you get to make a couple million a year, sitting on the bench’… It’s not a good job man, it sucks, it’s miserable. You want to be playing,” Flacco said.

One of the questions Flacco has to answer...can he depend on the Browns owners/management to give him an honest opportunity to win the job as the Browns starting QB..?

P
Legend
Legend
P
No he can't, no they won't and no they shouldn't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
4 members like this: Ballpeen, ScottPlayersFacemask, jfanent
E
Legend
Legend
E
He wants a starter job somewhere. If nobody offers him that then he will settle with being our backup.

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
P
Legend
Legend
P
Or someone's backup based on the contract offers. I seriously doubt he would decide to take the Browns offer if he was offered considerably more to play elsewhere.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: jfanent
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
In Cleveland, you have to wonder if "winning" is the top priority of ownership and management.

NO COMPETITION ALLOWED...for the Browns starting QB position.

That seems to be the idea of a winning formula that some Browns fans, ownership and management believe in.

It seems that some Browns fans, ownership and management are worried that Watson might become upset and not be able to handle the type of COMPETITION Flacco might produce if he were allowed to compete for the Browns starting QB position.

I'm a believer in competition and I've lived my life accepting competition believing it brought out the best in me, regardless of what the situation might be.

Competition is a good thing and it drives football players to play their best...especially when challenged.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
In Cleveland, you have to wonder if "winning" is the top priority of ownership and management.

The idiot meter has been rather elevated these days......

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
What happened to the current dline coach?

P
Legend
Legend
P
First you would need two QB's with similar talent levels. That's what competition is based on. That wouldn't be the case with both Flacco and watson on the roster. Now carry on with your rant.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

It's more like third, behind analytics and physical deconditioning.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
j/c...

I think it's easy to see what Flacco is saying.

"I want to play football games. If you need a bridge QB or believe (like I do) that I'm good enough to start. Hit me up.

If not, I'll be on the couch and you'll pay me more money when you do need me."

And there's really no other way he should approach this. He has five kids that never got to watch him play in real time. That's the only part of the dream that's left. He's not sitting on a roster wasting space, away from his family, when he can step out of a phone booth and play super hero in Week 9.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
First you would need two QB's with similar talent levels. That's what competition is based on. That wouldn't be the case with both Flacco and watson on the roster. Now carry on with your rant.

WTH are you talking about...again?

Flacco was the best QB on our roster last year...and it wasn't even close...with a 'style' light years different from that of DW4. I don't GAS what was the preferred offensive scheme. If DW4 can't handle Flacco being over his shoulder, then we have the wrong Watson at QB.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Or someone's backup based on the contract offers. I seriously doubt he would decide to take the Browns offer if he was offered considerably more to play elsewhere.

I agree. At this point in Flacco's career, he knows his playing days are winding down. Joe seems pretty level headed. He has made a lot of money playing, and isn't the type to be throwing Franklins at strippers unless he had done a masterful job of covering his secret life. He has plenty of financial security.

That said, he is still human and the natural instinct is to finish out the job making as much money as you can. He was also in the position of being a top starter in the league. The guys who hang in the back-up role for many years are usually guys who never got to be a long term starter. They were those marginal guys who can ride the back-up train and be satisfied with that.

For players like that, back-up is a good job. I mean, why the heck not? Where else are they going to go to make multiple of millions a year? You ride that train as long as you can.

Joe is going to go where he has the chance to start and make as much money as possible. Those chances won't be found in Cleveland.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by bonefish

Looks like Moore was serious about being a real Offensive Coordinator and not Stefanski's vision of an OC.

Stefanski wants another VanPelt like OC and now that OC candidates have seen how Van Pelt was treated, getting the best OC talent to play Stefanski's sidekick might be a bit tougher.

R
Legend
Legend
R
This whole firing of van pelt and the subsequent search seems very haphazard. Typically, and especially with this regime, you don’t make a move like that unless you already know the replacement. The Browns seem to be scrambling over an issue that they created for reasons unknown.

Does anyone know the real reason van pelt was let go?

Legend
Legend
I'm sure Mac and Floquino know...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

Flacco was the best QB on our roster last year...and it wasn't even close...with a 'style' light years different from that of DW4. I don't GAS what was the preferred offensive scheme. If DW4 can't handle Flacco being over his shoulder, then we have the wrong Watson at QB.

This explains all anyone needs to know about Flacco returning to the Browns. We already have people who have gone over the edge claiming Flacco is a better QB than watson. Watson wouldn't be looking over his shoulder at anyone. He would be the named starter from day 1 and as long as he was healthy it would remain that way. And it isn't even close.

But having fans like you who would be screaming for Flacco the moment watson had a bad game is what makes bringing him back here so difficult for this FO. We've seen your kind pull this same BS time after time thinking the backup will be your savior only to watch that idea fail time after time. Sadly people such as yourself refuse to look at how Flacco played his prior two seasons and can't comprehend that he was playing out of his mind and over his head for a brief stretch. Then you saw the Flacco of the previous two seasons at the end. But there is a portion within our society that will always be easily distracted by shiny objects. Maybe you should learn your lesson from the Native Americans. Look at what that cost them.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You point of view is distorted.

You have no basis for your comments based upon actual knowledge.

You were not involved in the interview process. Zero knowledge of what the Browns thought about Moore after the interview.

Maybe instead of innuendo and assumption it would be prudent to wait for the whole process to be completed.

P
Legend
Legend
P
In my best Jim Mora voice.... " What's that? Prudence!? Prudence!? You kidding me!? Don't talk about prudence!"

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
What happened to the current dline coach?

The status of Ben Bloom, who spent last season as the Browns' defensive line coach, has not be finalized, a source said. Bloom could remain with the organization, including a potential return to his former title as run game coordinator on defense.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...l-moves-offseason-ben-bloom/72378975007/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Rishuz
This whole firing of van pelt and the subsequent search seems very haphazard. Typically, and especially with this regime, you don’t make a move like that unless you already know the replacement. The Browns seem to be scrambling over an issue that they created for reasons unknown.

Just speculation on my part, but I think he and Stefanski were just too similar. I think self scouting led them to decide they needed more of a "bad cop" (or at least not another "nice guy") as Stefanski's number 2 on O. It seems they liked AVP and wanted him to stick around as QB coach, but he wasn't on board with the demotion.

Looks like they are looking for a Schwartz-like impact on the attitude of the offense. Or at least someone to improve the attention to detail.

I hope they are looking at EB, but he's holding out hope for the head job in Washington.

I definitely could come to regret it if this comes to pass, but I think we could use some KC influence on O and a bit more "tough love."

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend

Because he couldn't do this.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

This explains all anyone needs to know about Flacco returning to the Browns. We already have people who have gone over the edge claiming Flacco is a better QB than watson. Watson wouldn't be looking over his shoulder at anyone. He would be the named starter from day 1 and as long as he was healthy it would remain that way. And it isn't even close.

But having fans like you who would be screaming for Flacco the moment watson had a bad game is what makes bringing him back here so difficult for this FO. We've seen your kind pull this same BS time after time thinking the backup will be your savior only to watch that idea fail time after time. Sadly people such as yourself refuse to look at how Flacco played his prior two seasons and can't comprehend that he was playing out of his mind and over his head for a brief stretch. Then you saw the Flacco of the previous two seasons at the end. But there is a portion within our society that will always be easily distracted by shiny objects. Maybe you should learn your lesson from the Native Americans. Look at what that cost them.

Talk about a silly rant.

Did you even read what I wrote before you vomited on the screen?

As usual you are arguing a point that I am not making.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac
Looks like Moore was serious about being a real Offensive Coordinator and not Stefanski's vision of an OC.

Stefanski wants another VanPelt like OC and now that OC candidates have seen how Van Pelt was treated, getting the best OC talent to play Stefanski's sidekick might be a bit tougher.

That didn't age well.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh yes, you actually think Flacco is competition to DW. That entire premise is hilarious.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac

That didn't age well.

That will have to wait to see how Watson plays in Dorsey's offense.

If Watson doesn't like Dorsey's offense and plays poorly, guess who will be blamed..?

Dorsey is taking a chance that he could be the first OC fired during the 2024 season if Watson doesn't play well in Dorsey's offense.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That has absolutely nothing to do with the post you made. Nothing. rofl

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Oh yes, you actually think Flacco is competition to DW. That entire premise is hilarious.

Once again you demonstrate an ability to create an argument where one doesn't exist.

1 member likes this: JimDawg
P
Legend
Legend
P

Let's look at the points you made, shall we? Your claim is that Flacco was the best QB on the roster last year and it wasn't even close. I suppose you don't think DW was on the roster last year? And if you try to say he wasn't on the roster when Flacco was, they were both on the roster for approximately the same amount of time. Both were on the Browns roster last season and you say Flacco was the best QB on the Browns roster last year. That by very definition is you stating you believe Flacco was the best of the all the Browns QB's last season including DW.

So what does "looking over his shoulder" mean? It means someone is waiting in the wings to take his job. That also insinuates that Flacco is on the same or similar level as DW and would be capable of taking over the starting QB position the minute DW stumbles.

Now if that's not what you meant don't blame me because you made it sound that way.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Let's look at the points you made, shall we? Your claim is that Flacco was the best QB on the roster last year and it wasn't even close. I suppose you don't think DW was on the roster last year? And if you try to say he wasn't on the roster when Flacco was, they were both on the roster for approximately the same amount of time. Both were on the Browns roster last season and you say Flacco was the best QB on the Browns roster last year. That by very definition is you stating you believe Flacco was the best of the all the Browns QB's last season including DW.

So what does "looking over his shoulder" mean? It means someone is waiting in the wings to take his job. That also insinuates that Flacco is on the same or similar level as DW and would be capable of taking over the starting QB position the minute DW stumbles.

Now if that's not what you meant don't blame me because you made it sound that way.

Flacco being demonstrably better than DW LAST YEAR has no bearing on NEXT YEAR nor the future...as he's 39 years old and DW was injured for much of the time he was available. He is the perfect backup QB for this team right now...and he was that same guy in August....when the FO fumbled through not-Jacoby, Dobbs, DTR, and PJ before finally getting a real guy in here (and then last minute Driskell who was inserted AHEAD of PJ willynilly).

My entire POINT - that flew over your head like a Chinese weather balloon - was that the front office needs to be better at evaluating QBs...again with an S...apparently something that you simply cannot comprehend.

You want to make this about me wanting Flacco as the starter over DW. I want DW to be the best QB we have. I also want a viable, legit vet as the QB2 on a team with Super Bowl aspirations...and if THAT creates a QB controversy - or has DW 'looking over his shoulder' - then so be it. None of that means I want Flacco to be the starter.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I do find your revisionist history on what you posted entertaining. So there's that. I believe that watson was a much more complete QB that last two games before his injury than Flacco was. And I don't think it's close.

You keep trying to make excuses for "Flacco looking over his shoulder". If one is the clear starter and one is the clear backup then nobody is looking over his shoulder. But please, do go on.....

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard