Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure if knees are a Strength and Conditioning issue or an awareness issue (or just a bad luck issue.) When 200-400 pounds whip or roll into the side or back of a planted knee, something is gonna give. With luck, it is the ground that gives, but a lot of the time it is a ligament. Maybe we need more peripheral vision, keep your head on a swivel, or protect yourself (/each other) training.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I agree. It’s football. Guys get hurt. Yoga might help and I’m not really joking.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Yoga might help and I’m not really joking.

No one should take it as a joke.
I'm certain that it helps- and I'll bet there are some players in the NFL who are already taking advantage of yoga's benefits.

Reminds me of back in the day, when it was revealed that Steeler's WR Lynn Swann studied ballet as part of his training regimen. It was big news back then, and came with a certain degree of controversy/derision. Made total sense to me when I first heard it- ballet dancers are the most physically fit, precision-based athletes you'll ever see. Lynn Swann was the prototype for today's WRs. When you see them do an insane double toe-tap at the sidelines, you can than Lunn Swann for re-establishing the bar. That guy made the WR position look beautiful.

Yoga seems like the perfect fit for what these guys do.
All that kinetic exertion needs a balance/release.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
But does anybody really want to see Joel Bitonio in a tutu wink

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I agree. It’s football. Guys get hurt. Yoga might help and I’m not really joking.

I have been talking about yoga for 20 years on this board. No doubt that raw strength is important. Strength with range of motion is the key.

The only injuries that conditioning MIGHT prevent is pulled or torn muscles. Having more flexibility might prevent some of those. Injuries non muscle related are just luck of the draw. Conditioning isn't going to reduce concussions, that is a technique issue. Things like ribs, blown out knees, broken bones, bruised kidneys, etc. are just the hazards of the game.

Let's get over this idea that we are somehow doing something wrong. Geesh.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg

Better question:
Who doesn't?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
1 member likes this: FATE
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I have been talking about yoga for 20 years on this board. No doubt that raw strength is important. Strength with range of motion is the key.

The only injuries that conditioning MIGHT prevent is pulled or torn muscles. Having more flexibility might prevent some of those. Injuries non muscle related are just luck of the draw. Conditioning isn't going to reduce concussions, that is a technique issue. Things like ribs, blown out knees, broken bones, bruised kidneys, etc. are just the hazards of the game.

I agree...Ill add this:

I recently met a new client who was on the team until final cuts this last year. I asked him about the Strength & Conditioning aspect in Cleveland. He said that the trainers/people are fine or quite good...but the equipment in Berea is absolutely not fine...nor good. FWIW. BTW...I don't ask him for the 'scoop' or 'dirt' on players and coaches...he would answer me, but that's not the relationship I want with him.

He does share interesting stories about the NFL life and playing against certain players. Let there be no doubt that the NFL is a J-O-B.

Legend
Legend
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/training-facility-renovation-update-17041178

The Browns have spent a lot of money since 2017 fixing up their training facility.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Maybe they should buy their equipment the same place mac did in high school.

Voila…problem solved.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I agree...Ill add this:

I recently met a new client who was on the team until final cuts this last year. I asked him about the Strength & Conditioning aspect in Cleveland. He said that the trainers/people are fine or quite good...but the equipment in Berea is absolutely not fine...nor good. FWIW. BTW...I don't ask him for the 'scoop' or 'dirt' on players and coaches...he would answer me, but that's not the relationship I want with him.

He does share interesting stories about the NFL life and playing against certain players. Let there be no doubt that the NFL is a J-O-B.

The thing with equipment is it is expensive and seems outdated in 2-3 years. For a team to equip a room for maybe 30 lifting at a time, some spot, you aren't going to change it up but maybe every 8-10 years.

Like it or not, as in any business or home, there is a limit to how much and when they allocate the money.

There is a term called "farm strong". One can get a pretty darn good, well rounded workout chopping wood for 30 minutes. LOL...5-10 minutes for most of us will have us sweating like horses after a race in summer.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 02/04/24 11:07 AM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Maybe they should buy their equipment the same place mac did in high school.

Voila…problem solved.

[Linked Image from i.makeagif.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
P
Legend
Legend
P

Joel is much too large for a tutu. He would need a fourfour.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Legend
Legend
rofl

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
[quote=Rishuz]Maybe they should buy their equipment the same place mac did in high school.

Voila…problem solved.

The beauty of my off-season HS workout, it didn't take much of an investment to participate...maybe $20 for a weighted vest and ankle weights.

Last edited by mac; 02/05/24 06:36 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
If only the Browns could buy a well conditioned roster that had fewer injuries.

Money can't buy Haslam everything even if he buys the latest/greatest exercise machinery.

Some seem to believe that the Browns can buy their way to a healthier roster, but based on the record produced by the Browns strength and conditioning department, they proved to themselves that buying all that expensive exercise equipment was MEANINGLESS in the hands of those in charge of the Browns health and conditioning department. The Browns were one of most injured teams in the NFL over the 23/24 season.

The health of the Browns roster is an area of the franchise that needs to be improved upon.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep, definitely time for Haslam to turn the injuries off. Sadly, real life doesn't have Madden options.

One can do everything right preparation-wise and still get hurt. Unfortunately, the human body wasn't designed to withstand torpedoes flying at its joints and extremities at high speed with extreme force from any and every direction.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yet, somehow the staff received an A+ from the players survey from March of last year. I would expect if anyone is going to be critical about the staff in a survey, it would be the players. Their success and getting that next big contract are not only tied to their coaches, but also their S&C team.

Survey

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Towards the end of the season I made a comment after one of the games about wanting to say something, but didn’t want to jinx it.

You know it was a weird year for injuries, when our only healthy OL the whole season was Teller. The previous few years he was always out a couple games.

Legend
Legend
Well Mac which one of these folks are not getting their job done?

Shaun Huls
Larry Jackson
Josh Christovich
Dale Jones
Ty Taylor
Monty Gibson

or Maybe it's Katy Meassicks fault for not providing them with the right nutrition.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Yet, somehow the staff received an A+ from the players survey from March of last year. I would expect if anyone is going to be critical about the staff in a survey, it would be the players. Their success and getting that next big contract are not only tied to their coaches, but also their S&C team.

Survey

Player report cards of NFL facilities reveal jaw-dropping details about some teams — including Commanders

Charles Robinson · Jori Epstein
Wed, Mar 1, 2023
Player report cards of NFL facilities reveal jaw-dropping details about some teams — including Commanders - Yahoo Sports
link

INDIANAPOLIS – The goal, NFLPA president J.C. Tretter says, was to point out deficiencies rather than evoke shame.

But in arguably the most comprehensive look at how NFL players view the quality of their own teams, the NFL Players Association released a set of eyebrow-raising “team report cards” Wednesday, laying bare some of the best and worst aspects of the league’s franchises.

The players' union celebrated the New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings clubs, as staff and facility overhaul generated significant improvement for players in the first year of each team’s new coaching regime.

The club report cards also highlight clear concerns at facilities across the NFL, from three teams failing to provide dinner for players in season to two teams failing to offer vitamins for athletes whose jobs depend heavily on health and fitness metrics.

The Cincinnati Bengals, in both categories, are the lone team across the league not to provide players with supplements.

Add the Bengals' “showers and toilets consistently not working,” a closure of the Bengals' cafeteria on days players are encouraged to voluntarily report to the facility and players’ wives nursing on the floors of public restrooms at games due to a lack of team-provided family rooms, and it’s perhaps unsurprising that fewer than half of players believe team owner Mike Brown is willing to spend to improve facilities.

The Bengals nonetheless ranked above five teams in composite league rankings. The Vikings, Miami Dolphins and Las Vegas Raiders, in order, topped the report card results, while the Los Angeles Chargers, Arizona Cardinals and Washington Commanders, in order, steadied the descent to the bottom.

The results stem from a poll sampling more than 1,300 responders — nearly 60% of the league’s active players — in an effort to offer wide-ranging opinion data ahead of free agency.

Tretter, who played for the Cleveland Browns through the 2021 season, said the goal of the report cards was to help players and agents understand more about the franchises they were weighing in free agency. Simultaneously, a new means of public accountability puts franchises on notice to improve inequities. Tretter believes the first annual results are telling, but how teams use this information to better support their players, which the union expects next year’s survey to emphasize, will arguably be even more telling.

The report cards scored teams on eight categories: treatment of families, nutrition, weight room, strength staff, training room, training staff, locker room and travel. Each area was graded by players on a scale of A+ (considered exemplary) to F- (essentially zero effort by the team), with thumbnail descriptions that detail why the grades landed where they did. Each team was graded based on all the categories, funneling into an aggregate report card for all of the teams.

Composite grades did not clearly correlate with on-field success, as the defending Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs ranked a surprising 29th — fourth-worst in the league — and were hurt by older facilities and discontent with head trainer Rick Burkholder, whom they believe “does not treat players fairly and consistently.” No training staff ranked worse in the league than Kansas City, whose players reported they “feel discouraged from reporting their injuries” and “fear retribution for speaking up for better care.”

The Super Bowl runner-up Philadelphia Eagles landed 14th overall. Their coaching staff was lauded, while their family care (a family room at the stadium is accessible to coaches and football operations staff members’ families but not those of players) ranked poorly.

The New Orleans Saints and Arizona Cardinals joined the Bengals in drawing recognition for failing to provide players dinner; the Cardinals are allegedly willing to box dinner in season, though they’re the only team to “charge you via payroll deduction” for that service. Arizona also charges players for offseason meals.

Health and safety concerns
Cardinals players similarly reported concerns about the safety of their weight room, with uneven floors and “peeling” floorboards.

Carolina Panthers players requested an upgrade to their “unsafe” pool room, amid “complaints of a slippery surface with players falling regularly.” Of Carolina respondents, 92% believed team owner David Tepper was willing to invest to fix that.

The Jacksonville Jaguars drew one of the most grisly concerns, stemming from a rat infestation.

“When asked what the number one thing they want changed at their facility, the answer was unanimous — get rid of the rats!” Jacksonville’s report card reads. “Players reported that for 3-4 weeks this season, there was a rat infestation in the locker room and laundry hampers.”

Chargers players described “gross” and often broken hot and cold tubs, with only 50% feeling confident that team owner Dean Spanos would invest to change that.

Training concerns, including one team that needs it
Commanders players, in line with public reports in recent years, directly said they do not want to rehabilitate from injuries at their facility.

Green Bay Packers players often outsource physical therapy to supplement an understaffed team department.

And in Arizona, only 48% of players believe the team has enough physical therapists — the second-worst confidence level from any team. With franchise quarterback Kyler Murray set to return midseason, could that hinder his progress toward a speedy return?

While six teams don’t have a sauna and four don’t have a steam room, two — the Houston Texans and Los Angeles Chargers — don’t have either.

Some teams, including the Baltimore Ravens and Chargers, have replaced their training staff since the survey period, which the league believes reflects responsive management.

Responsiveness, on personnel and facilities, is the union’s goal.

The survey authors made that clear in broad assertions — seven of the eight coaches viewed as most respecting players’ time made the playoffs — and specific ones.

“Every respondent believes that [Giants head coach Brian] Daboll is respectful of the players’ time,” the Giants’ report card reads, “and they also feel he is willing to listen and collaborate with them. In many players’ opinions, his tenure is a stark change from former head coach Joe Judge’s tenure and an example of how quickly things can improve if the club prioritizes the well-being of players."

The overall aggregate rankings of franchises from best to worst were as follows:

1. Minnesota Vikings
2. Miami Dolphins
3. Las Vegas Raiders
4. Houston Texans
5. Dallas Cowboys
6. Green Bay Packers
7. San Francisco 49ers
8. New York Giants
9. Buffalo Bills
10. New Orleans Saints
11. Seattle Seahawks
12. Carolina Panthers
13. Chicago Bears
14. Philadelphia Eagles
15. Detroit Lions
16. Indianapolis Colts
17. Baltimore Ravens
18. Tennessee Titans
19. New York Jets
20. Denver Broncos
21. Cleveland Browns
22. Pittsburgh Steelers
23. Atlanta Falcons
24. New England Patriots
25. Los Angeles Rams
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
27. Cincinnati Bengals
28. Jacksonville Jaguars
29. Kansas City Chiefs
30. Los Angeles Chargers
31. Arizona Cardinals
32. Washington Commanders

Last edited by mac; 02/06/24 09:49 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's hilarious to see posters here continuously attempt to manufacture some macro issue about the organization especially when their first assertion years ago (usually related to the FO) was shown to be wrong and misguided...if not flat-out fraudulent. And now after that initial prophetic vision was shown to be as ridiculous as an episode of Ancient Aliens, every other subsequent topic they choose to create an issue over has also been either also shown to be wrong or are willing to wait years for their outrage to come to fruition. It'll be 2028 and some will say...."See! I told you Berry wouldn't work out as GM" or it'll be 2033...."I was the one who told you about the cap problems!"

They are now on Plan H and pivoting to manufacturing new outrage they hope will stick and others will jump on to. This is why we cannot have nice things.

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

Tackles are tackles.
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, jfanent, FATE
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Survey

scott...the results of the 8 categories surveyed in 2022 show that the Browns ranked 21st out of the 32 teams...just a guess, but it looks like you "cherry-picked" an area that earned the best survey score and ignored the results of the entire survey of the 8 categories named... The report cards scored teams on eight categories: treatment of families, nutrition, weight room, strength staff, training room, training staff, locker room and travel.

M
Legend
Legend
M
He made reference to the strength staff grade which is what this entire thread is about and YOUR main premise. The training staff also got an A.

Strength coaches were tied for 1st. Training staff tied for 9th.

Can you start a new thread about the Treatment of Families grade? I think it's high time we address this mediocrity with only a family room and daycare provided.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M
Here is more information regarding the Browns "grades" and the comments for each area within.

https://nflpa.com/cleveland-browns-report-card

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some of the same people that have said time and time again that the AFC North is the toughest, most physical division in football now wish to use an agenda to blame the strength and conditioning staff as whipping boys. And as you have shown, based on nothing but their own conjecture while dismissing the facts.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Your a little late Mac.

Cleveland has been planning on expanding the facility in Berea for over 5 years. Including a new weight room, and expanded indoor practice field.

ttps://www.cleveland.com/community/2023/09/berea-approves-next-phase-of-home-demolitions-for-browns-facility-expansion.html

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
It's hilarious to see posters here continuously attempt to manufacture some macro issue about the organization especially when their first assertion years ago (usually related to the FO) was shown to be wrong and misguided...if not flat-out fraudulent. And now after that initial prophetic vision was shown to be as ridiculous as an episode of Ancient Aliens, every other subsequent topic they choose to create an issue over has also been either also shown to be wrong or are willing to wait years for their outrage to come to fruition. It'll be 2028 and some will say...."See! I told you Berry wouldn't work out as GM" or it'll be 2033...."I was the one who told you about the cap problems!"

They are now on Plan H and pivoting to manufacturing new outrage they hope will stick and others will jump on to. This is why we cannot have nice things.

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]
[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Survey

scott...the results of the 8 categories surveyed in 2022 show that the Browns ranked 21st out of the 32 teams...just a guess, but it looks like you "cherry-picked" an area that earned the best survey score and ignored the results of the entire survey of the 8 categories named... The report cards scored teams on eight categories: treatment of families, nutrition, weight room, strength staff, training room, training staff, locker room and travel.

He "cherry picked" THE area that is the basis of your complaint. Sorry, but he took you to the woodshed on that. Adding a survey that includes other unrelated areas where the score was lower to offset the damages isn't a good look.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Survey

Thanks! I was looking for that yesterday.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Some seem to be losing focus on the subject...

...the Browns had a major issue with the number of injuries suffered during the 23/24 season, with many of our best players and starters ending their season on IR and the team being handicapped, unable to field a team of our best and healthiest players and being forced to play with "back-up" quality players.

If the Browns address the issue of injuries, it will help the franchise overcome the issue of "player availability" and will help to improve the performance of the entire team. Improving the health and conditioning of the team should be a major goal of those who are employed by the Browns franchise to ensure that our players are among the best conditioned and strongest in the NFL.

The number of starters lost due to injury is solid proof of A FAILED STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING PROGRAM.

The present members of the Browns Strength and Conditioning Program are a FAILURE, based on the results they produced during the 23/24 season, with approx 19 of the Browns players unable to play due to injuries.

Cut that number in half with only 9 or 10 of the Browns best players on offense, defense and special teams unable to play due to injuries and how much better could the Browns have been..?

It's not simply BAD LUCK folks...there are REASON'S that some players are more injury prone and it is up to those responsible for Strength and Conditioning to improve upon their own performance if they have a goal of improving their own department and area of responsibility.

If anyone in area of Strength and Conditioning believes they have done all they can to improve the S & C department, the franchise should be looking for a replacement. Staying the same as the 23/24 performance isn't good enough.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You seem to have lost focus that the players themselves are saying you're wrong.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
You seem to have lost focus that the players themselves are saying you're wrong.

pit...you don't even know how many of our players voted in this survey or how the vote broke down among the 8 categories they voted on..lol poke

BTW, you do understand that this survey HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE 2023/24 season injury results, don't you..?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think the point you've been trying to make has anything to do with the 2023/24 season injuries either. The categories you are trying to dismiss are EXACTLY in reference to the point you've been trying to make.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
He made reference to the strength staff grade which is what this entire thread is about and YOUR main premise. The training staff also got an A.

Strength coaches were tied for 1st. Training staff tied for 9th.

Can you start a new thread about the Treatment of Families grade? I think it's high time we address this mediocrity with only a family room and daycare provided.

Thank you.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't think the point you've been trying to make has anything to do with the 2023/24 season injuries either. The categories you are trying to dismiss are EXACTLY in reference to the point you've been trying to make.

Pit..with the first 3 words above...YOU NAILED IT..! rofl

You admit THAT..."YOU DON'T THINK"...

My entire point that seemed to skim right over your buzz-cut scalp is that from the beginning I have focused on the Browns injury history of the 2023/2024 season and the negative impact those injuries had on the Browns hopes of a playoff run and a super bowl opportunity.

Teams that are able to limit injuries seem to win more Super Bowls when we examine the records over the last 5 yrs...
THINK ABOUT THAT, pit.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You've blamed it on the strength and conditioning staff all along and everybody knows that. I don't have a buzz cut but I would prefer that over what appears to be the frontal lobotomy you have had to endure.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well Mac which one of these folks are not getting their job done?

Shaun Huls
Larry Jackson
Josh Christovich
Dale Jones
Ty Taylor
Monty Gibson

or Maybe it's Katy Meassicks fault for not providing them with the right nutrition.

Well Mac you have now blamed all the injuries on our strength and conditioning. I will give you a chance to expand on it. Like I asked and you ignored the first time. Who of the people I listed above is to blame and why?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by mac

Survey

You are the last person that should be calling anyone out for cherry-picking. You're trying (and failing) to crusade against the S&C staff and he posted the grade for the S&C staff. You can't even keep up with your own BS.

Speaking of which, we're still waiting on your high school strength regimen that would've withstood a SS to a locked knee. Still waiting....

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Rumor has it, the reason the Food Service/Nutrition received a D+ was the players were upset. It is expected their plastic Transformers lunch box to include a Lunchable, a Capri-Sun, and a desert of Fruit by the Foot with an option of an orange Push-Pop.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Browns Stength and Conditioning Department

Link Copied to Clipboard