Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
History is more or less supposed to be a factual "call and response" or "regurgitation of facts" without much interpretation. Now I stated before that history is written by the winners and there in lies the problem. CRT is an attempt to frame it in a different perspective (of the affected community) and look at the broader social implications. Hence, this brings into the discussions issues of social justice or injustice, institutional racism, discrimination, etc. etc. Hence it is a blending of history and social studies that would be tricky to pull off, but in an AP style class, there could be interest in having the discussion.

I think a different and more accurate way to view it might be that - acknowledging history is indeed sanitized and white washed by the "winners" or those in power - what CRT does is include a fuller and more accurate reflection of the Nation's full history .... nothing more. It's not an opinion - it's not social studies - it's including the some of the bad things that previously got swept under the rug. jmo

It actually is social studies. That's what the word critical implies. While Wikipedia is not a good scholarly source it does allow a good starting point.

Wikipedia - CRT

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
DeSantis asks federal judge to dismiss Disney suit, claiming broad immunity

Attorneys for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday asked a federal court to dismiss Disney

’s lawsuit that alleges political retaliation against the company, arguing that he and at least one other defendant are “immune” and that Disney lacks standing to sue them.

The attorneys also argued that Disney’s complaint — that DeSantis targeted the company after it denounced the controversial state classroom bill derided as “Don’t Say Gay” by critics — “fails to state a claim on which relief can be granted.”

A spokesman for Disney did not immediately respond to CNBC’s request for comment on the court filing.

The governor’s bid to dismiss the lawsuit comes as he has leaned into his drawn-out battle with Disney while campaigning in the Republican presidential primary. The fight between DeSantis, the top GOP contender behind former President Donald Trump, and Disney, one of Florida’s top employers, has been brewing for well over a year.

The 27-page motion to dismiss was filed by attorneys for DeSantis and Meredith Ivey, named as secretary for Florida’s Department of Economic Opportunity.

“Disney lacks standing to sue the Governor and Secretary, who are also immune from suit,” they argued in a filing in U.S. District Court in Tallahassee.

The entertainment giant’s lawsuit centers on the special tax district encompassing Florida’s Walt Disney World, which for decades allowed the company to essentially self-govern its operations there. After Disney criticized the Republican-backed classroom bill, DeSantis and his allies moved to dissolve that special tax district.

The district, formerly known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District, was ultimately left intact, following fears that neighboring counties would be saddled with debt if it were dissolved. But it was renamed as the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, and its five-member board was replaced with DeSantis’ preferred candidates.

Disney struck development deals before those new board members took over. The new board members accused the company of thwarting their power and voted to void the contracts, prompting the company to sue.

The governor’s attorneys argued in Monday’s filing that “any alleged injuries that might flow from” the clashes over the district and the contracts “are not traceable to the State Defendants, and enjoining the State Defendants would not provide Disney relief.”

Neither DeSantis nor Ivey enforce any of the legislative acts at issue in the suit, the attorneys wrote, and Disney’s attempts to link them to those laws “are unpersuasive.”

“Signing a law is not ‘enforcing’ a law,” they argued, adding that “Disney’s claims against the Governor run square into his legislative immunity” and its “allegations of retaliatory intent do not change the analysis.”

Disney filed its First Amendment lawsuit in federal court in late April. Days later, the DeSantis-appointed board countersued in state court. Disney filed a bid in May to dismiss that state-level suit.

The board responded in opposition in a filing dated June 19, writing, “Disney’s motion is classic Imagineering, inviting the Court to make believe that reality is whatever Disney dreams up.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/26/desantis-asks-federal-judge-to-dismiss-the-disney-suit.html

I'm King Ron!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think that when push comes to shove, it will be decided that DeSantis did indeed commit political retaliation against Disney. To me it was clear. Disney didn't agree with DeSantis on that bill and he didn't like it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
How to say you're a homophobe without saying you're a homophobe.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
GOP 2024 rivals and Buttigieg slam DeSantis video targeting LGBTQ rights

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis was criticized Sunday by two rival Republican presidential candidates and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg for a video taking aim at former President Trump's previous support for the LGBTQ community.

Driving the news: The DeSantis War Room Twitter account released a video marking the end of Pride Month Friday featuring footage of Trump at the 2016 Republican National Convention pledging to protect LGBTQ citizens in the wake of the mass shooting at Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

The video that's been denounced by a prominent LGBTQ Republican group as "homophobic" features support expressed by Trump, who's pledged to roll back transgender rights if elected in 2024, for trans Americans.
It then moves on to headlines underscoring LGBTQ rights restrictions DeSantis signed into law, spliced with images of the governor and shirtless muscular men.

What they're saying: Buttigieg, the first openly gay man to be confirmed as a Cabinet member, addressed the video during an appearance on CNN Sunday.

"I'm going to leave aside the strangeness of trying to prove your manhood by putting up a video that splices images of you in between oiled-up, shirtless bodybuilders," he said.

"And just get to the bigger issue that is on my mind whenever I see this stuff in the policy space, which is, again: Who are you trying to help? Who are you trying to make better off? And what public policy problems do you get up in the morning thinking about how to solve?"

Buttigieg added that he doesn't understand "the mentality of somebody who gets up in the morning thinking that he's going to prove his worth by competing over who can make life hardest for a hard-hit community that is already so vulnerable in America."

Meanwhile, former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) said he's "not comfortable" with the video nor the way his Republican presidential rivals DeSantis and Trump "are moving our debate in this country."

"This type of video does nothing to address those issues. And it is a teenage ... food fight between Ron DeSantis and Donald Trump. And I don't think that’s what leaders should be doing," said Christie, a former Trump ally, on CNN Sunday.

"They’re trying to divide us further. And it’s wrong. It’s absolutely wrong."

Separately, former Rep. Will Hurd (R-Texas), who joined the Republican presidential primary race last month, told CNN Sunday he wished candidates "would focus their attacks on war criminals like Vladimir Putin, not my friends in the LGBTQ community," adding: "It is 2023. We should be talking about how do we embrace our differences."

The other side: Representatives for DeSantis did not immediately respond to Axios' request for comment, but his aide Christina Pushaw denied in a tweet that opposing the federal recognition of Pride Month is homophobic.

"We wouldn't support a month to celebrate straight people for sexual orientation, either... It's unnecessary, divisive, pandering," she added.

https://www.axios.com/2023/07/02/de...0sD8KjL48dAagUoSDFMCeh-TjUcXJvem-pW3WGE8

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I sure wish Mayor Pete would run again for President.

And Christie's comment is true,, Just like a Teenage Food Fight.. And as Pete says, who's this debate helping. What service is this providing to the American people.

Both of them make good points.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Mayor Pete is too smart to ever become our president. In case you missed it, the presidency seems to be reserved for people that aren't that smart. There's also the fact he is gay which in our country basically makes him unelectable sadly. I did however vote for him in the primary of 2020.

There has only been one president who was a Rhodes Scholar. That was Bill Clinton.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Disney files appeal after federal judge dismissed its lawsuit against DeSantis
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/bu...ntis-dismissed-why-explainer-rcna136622#

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Mayor Pete is too smart to ever become our president. In case you missed it, the presidency seems to be reserved for people that aren't that smart. There's also the fact he is gay which in our country basically makes him unelectable sadly. I did however vote for him in the primary of 2020.

There has only been one president who was a Rhodes Scholar. That was Bill Clinton.

The thing about the presidency is for those not that smart is just silly. Biden is pretty smart. Trump isn't a dummy, but I do believe he's Hitler in a more expensive suit. Obama was as well, so was Clinton and the first Bush and let's not forget that Reagan was no dummy either.. All very smart men.

So I disagree with you.

Like you said, The problem is Pete won't get elected because he's gay.. No other reason.

I would vote for Pete in a heartbeat. I'd do that because he's just that good. JMHO

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Pete won't be elected because he is incompetant.

No Craps Given
1 member likes this: FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Trump isn't a dummy, but I do believe he's Hitler in a more expensive suit.

Lolz.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Trump isn't a dummy, but I do believe he's Hitler in a more expensive suit.

Lolz.

"It's not a laughing matter, Memphis! You're part of the problem!!"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg

this from a person that thinks Trump is all that and a bag of Chips...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

How so?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral

How so?

He was completely MIA during the supply chain crisis. I realize he needed 3 months maternity leave, but he mailed it in when he returned as well.

He passed the buck during the FAA and the disastrous string of groundings and delays caused by lack of air traffic controllers... blamed the airlines and "weather".

Not a word to say about East Palestine, Ohio for a full 10 days. He spent that time running around discussing equity in construction jobs. Three weeks later he showed up looking like a puppet with some thoughts and prayers.

As one senator said: "Pete Buttigieg couldn't organize a one-car funeral. He was never remotely qualified for this role,"

Maybe you could go ahead and describe his 'competence'. Please use language that doesn't include renaming bridges.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You certainly have those GOP talking points down pat.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Cool story. What makes him competent and presidential material?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
First let's look at just a couple of points you attempted to make and go from there......

Originally Posted by FATE
He passed the buck during the FAA and the disastrous string of groundings and delays caused by lack of air traffic controllers... blamed the airlines and "weather".

Pass the buck? What was he supposed to do about it? Wave a magic wand and just create air traffic controllers? I understand in your world that weather doesn't impact air travel.

Not a word to say about East Palestine, Ohio for a full 10 days. He spent that time running around discussing equity in construction jobs. Three weeks later he showed up looking like a puppet with some thoughts and prayers.

You do realize that incidents such as train derailment cases are handled by the National transportation Safety Board, right?

In 1967, Congress consolidated all US transportation agencies into a new US Department of Transportation (DOT) and established the NTSB as an independent agency within the US DOT.

In 1974, Congress reestablished the NTSB as a separate entity outside the US DOT, reasoning that “no federal agency can properly perform such [investigatory] functions unless it is totally separate and independent from any other . . . agency of the United States.”

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/history/Pages/default.aspx

Maybe you could go ahead and describe his 'competence'. Please use language that doesn't include renaming bridges.

Handling and dispersing the largest infrastructure program this nation has ever seen strikes mas as one highlight on his resume'. Like i said before, for the most part Americans hate the idea of smart people being president.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So doing nothing is a virtue -- got it.

You win, none of that was any of his fault or responsibility. Mayor Pete for president!

With all those end arounds, he'll fit right in.

Plus, it will be an end around to finally accomplishing the all important task of 'first husband'.

#partyoffirsts

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Plus, it will be an end around to finally accomplishing the all important task of 'first husband'.

Why does it come as no surprise to me that not only did you not have any legitimate counterpoints and threw nothing but more rhetoric, but you also then felt the need to put that little gay cheap shot at the end? Which only strengthens my statement that it's more about him being gay than anything else.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Why does it come as no surprise to me that not only did you not have any legitimate counterpoints and threw nothing but more rhetoric, but you also then felt the need to put that little gay cheap shot at the end? Which only strengthens my statement that it's more about him being gay than anything else.

Absolutely NOT. It's about a party that seems hellbent on promoting diversity over any qualification. A party and president that says things like "I don't know, but I do know it will be a woman of color" when talking about possible hires in high-ranking positions. All the way up to placing a babbling know-nothing one (weak) heartbeat away from the presidency.

Nice try with your #fauxoutrage, but another #epicfail

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I can only go by what you post. And you made a point of the 'first husband'. No sense trying to deny it now. And yes, there are plenty of 'people of color' who are perfectly qualified and suited for high ranking jobs. It seems as though you believe a president pointing that out and hiring people of color at those positions sound like a bad thing. It seems as though you don't think a president knowing that, pointing that out and hiring those people is a good thing. I wonder why that is?

God help us if we have a president that finds qualified people which better helps our government to reflect the diversity of our nation. We know people have been fighting against that idea for centuries now.

And BTW- I'm not outraged by it. I've grown to expect it.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E

How so?

He was completely MIA during the supply chain crisis. I realize he needed 3 months maternity leave, but he mailed it in when he returned as well.

As one senator said: "Pete Buttigieg couldn't organize a one-car funeral. He was never remotely qualified for this role,"

Fate nailed it. He is completely unprepared to handle any transportation disaster in this country. He has no experience. Do you know why he was hired? Because he checks a box for the woke people. Same reason Harris was picked. This is why I will never vote libtard. You base your choices on equity and not merit. No wonder this administration is a disaster.

No Craps Given
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Believing a false narrative and continuing to repeat it seems like all Repugnantcans can do these days.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
You cant handle the truth.

No Craps Given
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It would help if you would tell the truth.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I can only go by what you post. And you made a point of the 'first husband'. No sense trying to deny it now. And yes, there are plenty of 'people of color' who are perfectly qualified and suited for high ranking jobs. It seems as though you believe a president pointing that out and hiring people of color at those positions sound like a bad thing. It seems as though you don't think a president knowing that, pointing that out and hiring those people is a good thing. I wonder why that is?

God help us if we have a president that finds qualified people which better helps our government to reflect the diversity of our nation. We know people have been fighting against that idea for centuries now.

And BTW- I'm not outraged by it. I've grown to expect it.

Ah yes... Don't wonder why, snowflake... it must be because I'm racist.

And I said "an end around to finally accomplishing" in respect to "first husband", is just pointing out the irony of the endless talk to elect a woman as president and that the first first husband would actually still be with a man in office. It's cool though, I'll just be a homophobe too... because Pit@DawgTalkers says so. thumbsup

Go fly a kite. You're getting so terrible at even arguing points that you just want to resort to endless virtue signaling. It's lazy and boring, not to mention unbecoming.

Also, saying you're going to hire a woman, POC, alien, or unicorn all sound equally stupid when you say so before you have even interviewed anyone. It reeks of everything we should all be fighting against.

Last edited by FATE; 02/04/24 08:32 PM. Reason: fixed formatting

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
NRTU

Administration after administration keeps appointing all kinds of people to spots that they have absolutely zero business running.

I mean, Mark Esper, the former defense contractor executive running the DoD? Yeah, that’s not the fox running the hen house…

Betsy DeVos has less than zero business running the Education Department.

I don’t know much about Buttigieg, but I don’t think he really had the credentials either.

It’s an endemic of our political elite class as a whole. Aside from people like Lloyd Austin and occasionally a Secretary of State, most of the choices either are there to check a box or to grease someone’s palm. It’s ridiculous.

Last edited by dawglover05; 02/04/24 10:03 PM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Administration after administration keeps appointing all kinds of people to spots that they have absolutely zero business running.

I mean, Mark Esper, the former defense contractor executive running the DoD? Yeah, that’s not the fox running the hen house…

Betsy DeVos has less than zero business running the Education Department.

I don’t know much about Buttigieg, but I don’t think he really had the credentials either.

It’s an endemic of our political elite class as a whole. Aside from people like Lloyd Austin and occasionally a Secretary of State, most of the choices either are there to check a box or to grease someone’s palm. It’s ridiculous.

They only try to make a point of it when it's not one of their own.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

I'm not the one making homophobic references and acting like a black woman can't possible be qualified. But I know blaming me for what you posted is something you consider a sound defense.

It's lazy and boring, not to mention unbecoming.

That's exactly what I thought when you chose to sink to the depths you did.

Also, saying you're going to hire a woman, POC, alien, or unicorn all sound equally stupid when you say so before you have even interviewed anyone. It reeks of everything we should all be fighting against.

Yes, out of millions of black women you couldn't possibly find one qualified. And as such we can't possibly have a government which reflects our nation's diversity. Your thought process sounds like something from the stone ages. Or many groups in this country that believe black and gay people can't possibly be qualified for top government official positions. Sad, just sad.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

How so?

Fate nailed it. He is completely unprepared to handle any transportation disaster in this country. He has no experience. Do you know why he was hired? Because he checks a box for the woke people. Same reason Harris was picked. This is why I will never vote libtard. You base your choices on equity and not merit. No wonder this administration is a disaster.

And there it is “woke”. The term one uses when they don’t want to sound homophobic or racist and equality is thrown out the window, and pedjudice lives on. Besides you couldn’t name the last transportation Secretary. You probably couldn’t name any of them. Pffft GOPers.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend

I'm not the one making homophobic references and acting like a black woman can't possible be qualified. But I know blaming me for what you posted is something you consider a sound defense.

It's lazy and boring, not to mention unbecoming.

That's exactly what I thought when you chose to sink to the depths you did.

Yes, out of millions of black women you couldn't possibly find one qualified. And as such we can't possibly have a government which reflects our nation's diversity. Your thought process sounds like something from the stone ages. Or many groups in this country that believe black and gay people can't possibly be qualified for top government official positions. Sad, just sad.

Again, my comment was only homophobic to a legitimate brainless snowflake. Full stop.

Yes, Pit. I said there are no qualified black women.

Since we're obviously going to color by number again today, we'll try a different approach...

As POTUS, if I say I'm going to hire someone but the prerequisite(1) is white male, is that okay?? Or would there be rioting in the streets and impeachment hearings? See the hypocrisy?

(1) pre·req·ui·site
/prēˈrekwəzət/
noun
a thing that is required as a prior condition for something else to happen or exist.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Once again you take no accountability for your own words. Instead they're somehow my fault. Then you claim it's others who are the snowflakes. Typical GOP response.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
So Elon has decided to join in with DeSantis in his attack on Disney.......

Gina Carano, with financial backing from Elon Musk, sues Disney over ‘The Mandalorian’ firing

Gina Carano has filed a lawsuit against Disney and Lucasfilm, and Elon Musk is footing the bill.

Carano, who played Cara Dune on “The Mandalorian,” was fired after Disney said she posted on social media comparing being a Republican to being Jewish during the Holocaust, Variety reported.

She shared a post from another Instagram user that read, “Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors, even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them for simply being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.”

Deadline reported Disney responded to the statement on Feb. 21, 2021, writing, “Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.”

Carano, according to The Washington Post, said she did not compare being Republican with being Jewish during the Holocaust.

In a post announcing the suit Tuesday morning on X, previously known as Twitter, Carano wrote, “Look with your own eyes at what I posted and ask yourself, for example, where did I compare Republicans to the Jewish people in the holocaust? I didn’t.”

The actress is suing for wrongful termination and discrimination, asking Lucasfilms to hire her again while paying her at least $75,000.

Musk is paying for the legal fight after he said he would pay for lawsuits from people who claim they were discriminated against on X. Carano’s post was not originally posted to Twitter. Instead, they were on Instagram Stories.

“As a sign of X Corp.’s commitment to free speech, we’re proud to provide financial support for Gina Carano’s lawsuit, empowering her to seek vindication of her free speech rights on X and the ability to work without bullying, harassment, or discrimination,” Joe Benarroch, the head of X’s business operations, said in a statement to Variety.

The suit uses “Star Wars” as the narrative against the movie franchise’s production company and owner, writing in the complaint, “A short time ago in a galaxy not so far away, Defendants made it clear that only one orthodoxy in thought, speech, or action was acceptable in their empire, and that those who dared to question or failed to fully comply would not be tolerated. And so it was with Carano.”

The suit continued, “The rule of law still reigns over the Defendants’ empire … and Carano has returned to demand that they be held accountable for their bullying, discriminatory, and retaliatory actions — actions that inflicted not only substantial emotional harm, but millions of dollars in lost income,” Deadline reported.

She claims not only wrongful discharge but also sex discrimination.

“In addition to terminating her, Defendants refused to hire her for roles already promised, including but not limited to Season 3 of The Mandalorian, the new series Rangers of the New Republic, and planned future ‘Stars Wars’ full length feature films (which have recently been announced) — all because of her political beliefs and in disparate treatment from her male co-workers,” the suit alleges.

She cites statements made by “Star Wars” franchise stars Pedro Pascal and Mark Hamill, saying that the companies “did not comment on, let alone publicly condemn Hamill’s social media comments.” Hamill has compared former President Donald Trump’s policies to Adolf Hitler.

Disney did not respond to The Washington Post’s or Variety’s request for comments on the lawsuit.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending...orian-firing/NO7BSPUWHVFPJC2G5BOZJZAT3U/

Now one would hope that Republicans would be outraged over such a lawsuit. After all they are the people who have fought to pass right to work laws in many states which allow an employer to fire any employee at any time for any reason.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Right to work has NOTHING to do with someone suing for wrongful termination.

She was fired for not toeing the line.

She was fired for stating personal opinions outside of work that were in no way inflammatory to any individual.

She was firing for not adhering to demands from the woke mob.

She was fired for being a Trump supporter.

Good on Elon, she probably couldn't fight this behemoth on her own.

I'd file the suit and ask for 83.3M in damages.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Sorry, I should have said At Will To Work law.....

Can You Be Fired for Social Media Posts?

Social media has become one of the most popular ways for us to communicate. While the First Amendment protects freedom of speech, private employers can discipline and even fire you for what you post on your social media account.

This article examines wrongful termination and when your social media posts can get you fired. Wrongful termination laws vary by state. So, you should consider speaking with a wrongful termination attorney in your state right away. An experienced attorney can give you the best advice about your circumstances.
At-Will Employment

Most employment in the United States is at-will. At-will employment means that an employer can fire employees for any lawful reason. That includes what you post on your personal social media account. But there are some cases when it’s against the law for your boss to fire you.
Illegal Employment Discrimination

It’s illegal for your employer to fire you for a discriminatory reason. What that means is that your employer can’t fire you because of your:

Race
Color
Religion
Sex, including sexual orientation
Disability
National origin
Age if you’re over 40
Genetic information

Whistleblower

Employers can’t fire you for making true comments about your working conditions. For example, talking about the following is allowed:

Unequal pay
Harassment at work
Unsafe working conditions
Your employer’s illegal activity

But keep in mind that your comments must be true. Your employer can fire you for statements you make that aren’t true.
Violating an Employment Agreement

Your employer can’t fire you in violation of your employment agreement if you have one. For example, your employment agreement or contract may include a provision protecting you from firing for making truthful comments on social media.

Supporting a Union

Federal law protects your right to take part in “protected concerted activity.” That means you and other employees are free to act together to improve your working conditions. For example, your employer can’t fire you for online posts about:

Terms of employment
Working conditions
Other relevant workplace issues

Be aware that your employer may be able to fire you if you’re just venting your frustrations to the world. To be protected, your comments must be talking to other employees about working conditions.
When Can Your Social Media Posts Get You Fired?

Many people think their First Amendment rights protect everything they post on social media. But that’s not true. Despite our right to free speech, there are times when your employer can fire you because of an online post. The following are some reasons:

Creating a Hostile Work Environment

Employers must provide a safe work environment. Posts that are threatening or harassing can make other employees feel unsafe. For instance, racist or sexist comments can get you fired.
Violating the Company’s Social Media Policy

Most companies have social media policies outlining what is unacceptable for an employee to say on social media. Your employer can lawfully fire you if you violate a company policy.

Here’s an example. An assistant account executive at a marketing firm was on the team that landed a new client. In her excitement, she posted a picture with the new client’s logo on Instagram. Unfortunately, the firm had told employees not to post anything on social media until they made a formal announcement about the new client. Her firm found out and fired her for violating company policy.

Disclosing Confidential Company Information

Disclosing company trade secrets or confidential information can get you fired. So, if you have access to such information, be careful not to post it on social media. For example, don’t post salary data on the internet if you work in a human resources department.

Making False or Misleading Statements

Lying about your employer on social media can harm their reputation. So, your employer can fire you for saying something untrue about it. For instance, an employee of an ambulance company made a Facebook post claiming that the company’s ambulances were unsafe. The company determined that the statements weren’t true and fired the employee.

Posting Racy Images

Posting obscene images can also harm your employer’s reputation. It can also offend customers. For example, the Walt Disney Company, which owns ESPN, fired an ESPN commentator for posting a video of exotic dancers on Instagram.

Posting About Your Illegal Activity

You can lose your job if you do something illegal. A Colorado teacher found out the hard way. She made a post saying she got high in the school parking lot. While smoking marijuana is legal in Colorado, doing it on school grounds is not.

Contact an Employment Lawyer for Help With Your Case

We value our free speech rights. But your employer can fire you for what you say on social media. So, you must be careful about what you post. The good news is that the law protects you from being fired in some circumstances. An employment lawyer can help you understand the law. They can also give you legal advice about your case.

https://www.lawinfo.com/resources/wrongfultermination/can-you-be-fired-for-social-media-posts.html

Do you know what their social media policy is?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
YES. You can be fired for social media posts (unless you're in a protected category wink )

YES. You can still sue somebody for firing you regardless of your social media posts.

Their social media policy has nothing to do with whether or not she can sue them.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
If she agreed to their hiring guidelines as a condition of her employment they certainly do. And most employers ask you to sign an employment agreement. It seems you hate Disney as much as DeSantis and Musk do. I wonder why Elon felt the need to get involved in this? Things that make you go hmmmm...

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You're right.

She can't sue them.

Musk is stupid... should have consulted with Pit@DawgTalkers.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Oh they can file what may be nothing more than a frivolous lawsuit depending on her employment agreement. I'll try this one more time and maybe you'll stop playing dodge ball this time....

I wonder why Musk felt the need to get involved in a wrongful termination suit against Disney?

I just love how petty you can be by trying to throw things back in my lap instead of addressing the topic.

#gmstrong
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus DeSantis Attack On disney Continues

Link Copied to Clipboard