Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
No surprise here. Writing was on the wall that Dickerson could be the OL coach when the Browns brought him to interview for the OC position. Dickerson was the Callahan contingency plan.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Andy Dickerson (born January 29, 1982) is an American football coach and former player who is the offensive line coach for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the Tufts Jumbos and has previously had stints with the Washington Redskins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Cleveland Browns and St. Louis / Los Angeles Rams.

Early life and education
Dickerson was born on January 29, 1982, and grew up in Wilmington, Delaware.[1][2] He attended Tower Hill School in his hometown and was team captain in three sports: wrestling, football and track and field.[3] He later attended Tufts University and played as an offensive lineman from 1999 to 2002.[4][5] He also was a member of the Tufts track and field team, specializing in the hammer throw, discus throw and shot put.[3] He graduated from Tufts in 2003 with a master's degree in education.[6]

Coaching career
Dickerson served as a training camp intern for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL) in 2003, later returning that year to Tufts as a graduate assistant.[7] He was an intern in the New England Patriots operations department in 2004 and became a full-time member of the department in 2005.[7] He won Super Bowl XXXIX with the Patriots in 2004.[8]

From 2006 to 2008, Dickerson served with the New York Jets as their defensive quality control coach and a coaching assistant.[4] He joined the Cleveland Browns as defensive quality control coach in 2009 and in 2010 was their assistant offensive line coach.[4] He returned to the Jets in 2011 as a coaching assistant.[9] He then became the assistant offensive line coach for the St. Louis Rams (later Los Angeles Rams) in 2012.[10] He remained the team's assistant offensive line coach through 2020 and helped them reach the Super Bowl in 2018.[5] At the time of his departure, he was the longest-tenured coach on the team.[11]

Dickerson became the run game coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks in 2021, following Shane Waldron whom he played with at Tufts and coached with at New England and Los Angeles.[5][12] He was promoted to offensive line coach in 2022.[13][14] He was interviewed in 2024 to be the offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns

Position: Offensive line coach
Personal information
Born: January 29, 1982 (age 42)
Career information
High school: Tower Hill School (DE)
College: Tufts (1999–2002)
Career history
As a coach:
Washington Redskins (2003)
Training camp intern
Tufts (2003)
Graduate assistant
New England Patriots (2004–2005)
Operations department intern (2004)
Operations department employee (2005)
New York Jets (2006–2008)
Coaching assistant / defensive quality control coach
Cleveland Browns (2009–2010)
Defensive quality control coach (2009)
Assistant offensive line coach (2010)
New York Jets (2011)
Coaching assistant
St. Louis / Los Angeles Rams (2012–2020)
Assistant offensive line coach
Seattle Seahawks (2021–present)
Offensive run game coordinator (2021)
Offensive line coach (2022–present)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Dickerson

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know if it is a good hire or not. Nobody in here does, but he is our OL coach.

Just looking at the resume he seems to have all the necessary qualifications. He's been at it for 20 something years. Over that time one would have had to be exposed to many different systems and learned from many different coaches.

Anybody who has been employed that long as a college, NFL assistant has had to be doing something right.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Top 16: 2009

16. Cleveland Browns (2009 Rank: 8th)

Run Rank 22nd, Pass Rank 6th, Penalties Rank 7th

For all the good in having two of the better players in the league, if you surround them with guys who struggle you’re going to get found out. On the plus side, Eric Steinbach was bad, but not as bad he has been, and Alex Mack continues to show himself as one of the best young centers in the league.

Best Player: The Browns have the best left tackle around in Joe Thomas, even if he was battling a mystery illness early in the season.

Biggest Concern: Time to upgrade on both guards but there’s no one on the roster who inspires massive confidence.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
The Top 16: 2009

16. Cleveland Browns (2009 Rank: 8th)

Run Rank 22nd, Pass Rank 6th, Penalties Rank 7th

For all the good in having two of the better players in the league, if you surround them with guys who struggle you’re going to get found out. On the plus side, Eric Steinbach was bad, but not as bad he has been, and Alex Mack continues to show himself as one of the best young centers in the league.

Best Player: The Browns have the best left tackle around in Joe Thomas, even if he was battling a mystery illness early in the season.

Biggest Concern: Time to upgrade on both guards but there’s no one on the roster who inspires massive confidence.

My friend, you know I love you, but I don't know what you are talking about with that post?? Maybe it is more about the players rather than the coach? I can agree with that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trust me this old age stuff sucks !

Dickerson was with the Browns in 2009 and 10

2010 as assistent offensive line coach

in 2009 as defensive quality contol coach

Trying to put a little info out there

as what he did with his stint as a coach with the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
The Oline ranking for Seattle while he was their coach (2021-2023) wasn't anything to brag about (mid-20's at best). I guess when he started they were at or near bottom of the league (so... improvement?).

My recollection is that Seattle isn't a team known for investing a ton of draft/FA capital into their Oline.

::shrug::

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I was looking at all the hires overall. It sure looks like Stefanski is moving toward a 12-personnel scheme. Most everyone is thinking the Browns should get another WR, but what if they went in another direction obtaining a complementary TE to Njoku?

Most teams are fortifying against an 11-personnel scheme. Having two TEs allows you to attack the middle of the field. This protects against defenses loading the box to defend against Chubb. You still have Moore and Cooper on the outside.

Belichick had success having Gronk and Hernandez. Bill always stated two TEs scheme is the hardest to defend.

I haven't given much thought to what TEs are available.

Legend
Legend
I hope he pans out for all of our sakes but it feels like three steps backwards from Calahan, and two steps backwards from Peters.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GMdawg
I hope he pans out for all of our sakes but it feels like three steps backwards from Calahan, and two steps backwards from Peters.

gm...I've got to agree, what an UNIMPRESSIVE hire by the Browns.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B

Feeling that way and being that way don't always match.

Stefanski felt the guy is going to bring something to the table. I assume that we could have promoted Peters in to the role if we had wanted to do so. Is Peters gone or still on the staff?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I just saw that Peters was hired by the Pats to be their O line coach.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Stefanski felt the guy is going to bring something to the table.

peen..I seriously doubt that Stefanski hired this dude to replace Bill Callahan...

R
Legend
Legend
R

Feels that way in general from a coaching staff perspective.

If Peters was supposed to be the heir apparent to Callahan, I don’t think it’s a stretch if he told Stefanski not to count on him after the firings of AVP, Stump, and McCartney.

Weird stuff going on with the coaching staff after a somewhat successful season.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Rishuz

If Peters was supposed to be the heir apparent to Callahan, I don’t think it’s a stretch if he told Stefanski not to count on him after the firings of AVP, Stump, and McCartney.

Weird stuff going on with the coaching staff after a somewhat successful season.

I'll second that...the Assistant to the Legend who managed to get decent play out of street OTs leaves to go work for the guy that we couldn't make it work with. (That sounds familiar.) Causing more concern about the rumblings that AVP and DW4 didn't see eye-to-eye. Not that DW4 has any history with not approving-of/liking his Coach(es). rolleyes

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Scott Peters would have been a good choice to replace Callahan IMO abut let’s give Andy a chance. He deserves that much.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Haven’t heard the rumblings. Where are those coming from?

Legend
Legend

I hear that There was discussion on whether to promote Peters or go with Dickerson. They are very High on Peters and think he has a great future but he has never been a full time o-line coach in the nfl. Dickerson has more experience which they like at this time with the team we have. Cleveland didn't get a chance to make choice since Peters was leaving for a sure thing with AVP.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Originally Posted by WSU Willie
[quote=Rishuz][quote=GMdawg]

I'll second that...the Assistant to the Legend who managed to get decent play out of street OTs leaves to go work for the guy that we couldn't make it work with. (That sounds familiar.) Causing more concern about the rumblings that AVP and DW4 didn't see eye-to-eye. Not that DW4 has any history with not approving-of/liking his Coach(es). rolleyes

This whole offensive retooling on a team that just went 11-6 with a patchwork crew really appears suspect. On one hand, we have people here swearing the Browns have adjusted the offense for Watson even though the desired results have been suspect at best and now we are witnessing almost a total turnover of the staff with crickets coming out of Berea as to the why. Something doesn't smell right and were now left with more questions than not about how the Browns offense will look going forward.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac

peen..I seriously doubt that Stefanski hired this dude to replace Bill Callahan...

Dateline Cleveland; We have now learned that the FO is making all the coaching staff hiring decisions while leaving Stefanski out of the process. Update at 11:00.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I've said before this offensive retooling screams of desperation of a group that must be on the hotseat. Given all that that side of the ball went through this year and still make the playoffs, this would have been the year to simply run it back with everyone healthy. I feel like we've gone backwards with every hire

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
It's funny seeing all the posters suggesting Scott Peters leaving is a bad thing when they didn't even know he was a coach on our team until a few weeks ago. (Not counting GM)

This place is ridiculous.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
It's funny seeing all the posters mentioning Scott Peters leaving is a bad thing when they didn't even know he was a coach on our team until a few weeks ago. (Not counting GM).

"Read between the lines, Memphis! This whole thing is falling apart!!"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
It's funny seeing all the posters suggesting Scott Peters leaving is a bad thing when they didn't even know he was a coach on our team until a few weeks ago. (Not counting GM)

Lolz

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns pull Eagles AOL coach Roy Istvan to work with Andy Dickerson
Story by Cory Kinnan • 1h
link

After working with the Philadelphia Eagles and Jeff Stoutland for five years, Roy Istvan is now jumping over (according to AP's Tom Withers) to the Cleveland Browns to work with new offensive line coach Andy Dickerson.

The Browns may have lost Bill Callahan, who left to coach with his son with the Tennessee Titans, but they have done a great job of pulling in replacements for the legendary coach. Dickerson has a ton of run game experience under both Sean McVay and Shane Waldron, and now they pull a coach who has worked with Shane Steichen in the past as well.

Needing to freshen up their offensive scheme without overhauling it, the Browns have added a diverse set of offensive minds to their staff from new offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey, to Dickerson, and now to Istvan.
Head coach Kevin Stefanski has a chance to win NFL Coach of the Year tonight at the NFL Honors show, and now overhauling his offensive staff, the Browns find themselves in a position for long-term stability for the first time since their return to the league in 1999.

This article originally appeared on Browns Wire: Browns pull Eagles AOL coach Roy Istvan to work with Andy Dickerson

Last edited by mac; 02/08/24 12:49 PM.

Legend
Legend
The BS "sky is falling people" are at it again.

Callahan leaves to coach with his son. Like any organization is going to stand in the way of that happening?

The guy that is hired to replace him has a qualified resume. In fact he interviewed for the OC job. In addition Roy Istvan is added as an assistant OL coming from the Eagles. Another guy with a stacked resume.

Dorsey and Rees are hired to bring new concepts to the offense. And somehow that is all a bad thing.

Keep in mind there has not even been a practice let alone a game. These changes are made at seasons end not during the season.

Looking around the NFL changes like this are the norm not the exception. Yet we have posters claiming how this is a negative and a patch work coaching staff.

No knowledge of what changes will happen good or bad. No knowledge of the new hires and their qualifications.

Yet somehow here in February these changes are somehow negative?

Astounding. If everything is so bad join the YMCA.

1 member likes this: chet the jet
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's the conspiracy nature of the world we are living in.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

It's true, I read that on a Facebook meme.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think a lot of the feelings are mostly due to the fact that for the first time in like forever

It felt like there was going to be some stability with the same faces around for a couple of seasons

Then coaches started to leave and the fear of that instability reared it's head.

The team had a winning season with everything they had to deal with, it just had that feel good thing going on.

The Browns roster will most likely look different this season, may be a little change or maybe a substantial change.

Either way the changes could be for the better, that's how I'm going to look at it.

Until the season starts and games are played as every year at this time.

It's just a guessing game with opinions how it will work out

Wish all the new faces from coaches to players the best of luck !

Hope they can bring on an exciting season with a NFCN title

If they under achieve the 11-6 record of this past season

Wouldn't get to close to the Dawg Pound ! LOL !

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

It's true, I read that on a Facebook meme.

Nobody needs a FB meme to see that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
"This whole offensive retooling on a team that just went 11-6 with a patchwork crew really appears suspect. On one hand, we have people here swearing the Browns have adjusted the offense for Watson even though the desired results have been suspect at best and now we are witnessing almost a total turnover of the staff with crickets coming out of Berea as to the why. Something doesn't smell right and were now left with more questions than not about how the Browns offense will look going forward."

On the other hand what we have is someone spewing nonsense.

Because making up bs and insinuations about all things Browns is an agenda.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
"This whole offensive retooling on a team that just went 11-6 with a patchwork crew really appears suspect. On one hand, we have people here swearing the Browns have adjusted the offense for Watson even though the desired results have been suspect at best and now we are witnessing almost a total turnover of the staff with crickets coming out of Berea as to the why. Something doesn't smell right and were now left with more questions than not about how the Browns offense will look going forward."

On the other hand what we have is someone spewing nonsense.

Because making up bs and insinuations about all things Browns is an agenda.

Right, wrong, whatever... the specter of Haslam meddling and knee-jerking the team into unnecessary turmoil is something that will forever hang over this team. It's who he is. I'm not excusing it, but I'll just say that if it were me cutting the types of checks he's been cutting, you wouldn't be getting much "cool calm and collected" from me either.

Stefanski and Berry have earned a bit of trust. They stacked some wins when they had no business doing so, and the locker room was reportedly unlike anything Berea has seen in a very long time.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The bottom line is if you're not trying to get better, you're getting worse. I don't believe anyone on this board thought the offense was really good this year. While injuries played a huge part of the problem. The offense was still the problem. The Defense ranked as the #1 defense in the NFL in 2023. That is why Jim Scwartz was awarded top assistant coach in 2023. The passing defense was again #1, the rushing defense was #11. The offense ranked 16th overall. Passing offense 19th and rushing offense 12th.

Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski are analytical people and they more than likely looked at those stats and said how can we improve and get better in 2024 and the emphasis will be on improving the 16th ranked offense and in particular the 19th ranked passing offense. The change started with the offensive coaches, and I believe will continue in personnel decisions this offseason.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He has experience getting ready and starting rookie/young OTs.

I still need to do some digging. I think they had injuries to deal with on the OL last season like we did.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
The goal is to improve. Improve on offense, defense, special teams, coaching, and each individual player.

Improve everyday.

Last year we made a change by adding Jim Schwartz as the DC. It worked out well. He was just named Assistant Coach of the Year.

The defense improved greatly.

The offensive coaching staff has been revamped. I think the offense will be where resources will be added in free agency and the draft.

The goal for the offense should be top five. It will take all hands on deck working together. I like the idea of bringing in new concepts and becoming more efficient and consistent on offense.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

Who hired him, the "Inner Circle"?

Now if you are saying that in the sense that he thinks Dickerson will be better, well, none of us know how good or not the guy will be. All things being equal, I am sure that Stefanski would have preferred the status quo with Callahan staying but that wasn't possible unless we simply took the low road and told Callahan, no, he had to stay.

Callahan was as good as it gets at coaching the position but he wasn't superman. It's not like everybody else sucks. I don't expect that everything is going to simply fall apart now that Callahan isn't here.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Results are all that matters. If the line continues to perform, or even improves, then it's a good hire.
If they regress, even a little, this year, then it was a bad hire. OLine doesn't take multiple seasons to see whether or not it's working out.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
peen...you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that.

I seriously doubt that Stefanski hired Dickerson...actually,

I'm more impressed the assistant OLine coach..Roy Istvan..who coached with the Eagles well respected OL coach Jeff Stoutland. The Eagles OLine ranks as one of the very best in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
As of today there have been no additions to the OL.

So, what has been taught by Callahan is not going to be forgotten. What could change are the assignments.

Our OL is veteran guys for the most part. Dawand Jones is a second year player.

I do not think there will be a drop off.

If we can improve the depth that would be good.

The big picture is what will be done at tackle? Jones is ready to be a starter. Where does that leave Conklin and Wills?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
As of today there have been no additions to the OL.

"As of today"...not sure what that has to do with the conversation, but is there any doubt that Dickerson will have his own playbook with his own
ideas on "blocking assignments" ?

Best way to screw up an OLine is start changing the process the OL uses to determine blocking assignments...and I do believe these changes in the coaching staff will lead to a decline in our OL performance..especially early in the season.

One missed assignment by the Browns OL can alter expectations for the season...

Last edited by mac; 02/10/24 11:51 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Hire Andy Dickerson as OL Coach

Link Copied to Clipboard