Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
That's possible. If the city won't come to the table it becomes more of a possibility. I don't know how a cost analysis would work with something like this. I know there's always an argument with the dome it would be constantly filled with all kinds of other events... color me skeptical.

Cleveland is not quite the destination as many other places where these huge projects have come to pass. You're also talking about Haslam spending 3B+... with no help from Cleveland if it's outside the limits.

Have you ever been to a Browns game? If you have, or have this city in your blood, you would probably have strong feelings about our stadium being on the shores of Lake Erie.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just some examples of numbers:

The new Las Vegas Raiders stadium area consists of 41.322 acres.

Patriot Place (minus the stadium) area consists of 29.84 acres. Or>
The Star District for the Dallas Cowboys consists of 40 acres consisting of 35 restaurants, shops, parking garages, and specialty services. 

The new Las Vegas Headquarters/Training Facility consists of 30 acres. Or>
The new Dallas Cowboys Headquarters/Training Facility consists of 51 acres consisting of much more than a training facility such as DALLAS COWBOYS RING OF HONOR WALK PRESENTED BY DR PEPPER, TOSTITOS CHAMPIONSHIP PLAZA, MILLER LITE®HOUSE AT THE STAR, BAYLOR SCOTT AND WHITE HEALTH, HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL TRIBUTE PRESENTED BY TEXAS LOTTERY COMMISSION, Ford Center is a state-of-the-art, 510,000 square foot indoor athletic facility shared by the Dallas Cowboys, the City of Frisco, and Frisco ISD’s high schools.

Anyway, the total acreage needed would be between 102 acres and 133 acres leaving at least 40 plus acres for additional parking or expansion.

The numbers seem to fall withing the range of building a massive entertainment complex including a new stadium and headquarters/training facility.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've been to more than 30 Browns games at the stadium as a spectator and also spent 2 seasons working concessions inside the stadium. So, I get the sentimental part, but things change.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Just spitballing here but it seems Halsam could do much of what you have described on much less acreage than what he purchased. I believe it could be accomplished using half or less than half the land he purchased. But can you imagine how much the rest of that land would be worth if he decided to sell it off after the stadium was complete? The value of that remaining land would skyrocket.

I can understand why the citizens of Cleveland would be upset about the possibility of the stadium being built outside the city. I can also see how Halslam may see that as the most advantageous move he could make. Most people hate the idea of they themselves having to deal with the government. Until it's Haslam. Then they expect him to deal with it at possibly much great expense to himself. Cleveland already lost the Browns once by dragging its heals. If Haslam can't work out a satisfactory deal with the city of Cleveland, at least he isn't bribing another city and moving the Browns. Those who remember those days should be thankful for that.

But tradition is something that's hard to let go of.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend
An entire complex is the direction I think they (the owners) all want to go. The added year-round revenue would be massive. Add a couple of hotels to that land, and maybe a second sports complex for his other teams (can be multi-purpose like Gund Arena or whatever its name is this week). It could also be an additional Convention facility.

Hosting a Super Bowl at your stadium has specific requirements, and if he ever wants to have one at his team's stadium, a LOT has to be added to Cleveland's facilities.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
It just occurred to me that some of the land will be "lost" for traffic management in to and out of the area.
Lots of roads will have to be widened and then the land inside will have to accommodate vastly more traffic than that area currently handles. I-480 ramps, Rt 237 access, I-71 ramps, etc

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Yeah, that land is going to shrink a fair amount due to infrastructure. 176 acres sounds like a lot until you try to make it into something special.

For comparison, Cowboys stadium is on 140 acres. Granted, it's huge and can house 100,000, but there is a stadium and parking -- that's it.

Patriot Place is a huge: Shopping, restaurants, a hotel, practice facilities and Patriot HOF... 450 acres.

There's room on this site for a VIP hotel and a decent food/shopping alley (vendors and food trucks would be cool), a decent amount of parking... that's about all.

Plenty of room, but the "wow" factor would have to be created by the structure itself and sensible infrastructure.

I imagine it would improve convenience for out-of-towners being that the airport is right there. Something creative could be done to take advantage of the fact that the Rapid Transit has a stop across the street as well.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Something creative could be done to take advantage of the fact that the Rapid Transit has a stop across the street as well.

That's easy. Right there is your built-in, ready-to-roll transport from the airport to your hotel complex and stadium as well as transportation from as far as the east side to the stadium.

More likely than not, however, that land will likely:

** sit in it's current state until all existing leases on buildings on it are up, perhaps indefinitely, then be re-sold for a profit in 5-10 years
** be a new training facility at a location with better highway access than Berea (and perhaps better tax situation)
** was a feint to spur the City of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, and the State of Ohio to get in gear on a serious proposal

Browns is the Browns

1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
The only thing about your last point is the state of Ohio will gain whether the new stadium is in Cleveland or by the airport.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the city of Cleveland proper loses the stadium and the Browns it’s going to hurt the city significantly. There’s no getting out of that. They’ve been trying for decades to resuscitate downtown, bringing the Cavs back, the guardians their own park, all the on-again, off-again flats development, east 4th and Ohio city etc etc. It would be a huge psychological and financial hit to the city if the browns moved out. Lots of other hard-luck cities have figured out how keep their gems close and build their relevance and appeal to the people and business that would want to move into a city and be part of a growing thriving community. The powers that be in the city have to make it happen or this is just the kind of thing that starts a more general exodus. And once an exodus builds a little momentum, it’s very hard to reverse. It’s taken Cleveland 60 years to stem the loss of population and jobs and it’s only just leveled off in the last 5-7. So yea, it’s still great for Ohio but Cleveland, the city the Browns represent would be hurt pretty bad.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
That's possible. If the city won't come to the table it becomes more of a possibility. I don't know how a cost analysis would work with something like this. I know there's always an argument with the dome it would be constantly filled with all kinds of other events... color me skeptical.

Cleveland is not quite the destination as many other places where these huge projects have come to pass. You're also talking about Haslam spending 3B+... with no help from Cleveland if it's outside the limits.

Have you ever been to a Browns game? If you have, or have this city in your blood, you would probably have strong feelings about our stadium being on the shores of Lake Erie.

I don't care about it being on the lakefront. The lakefront limits ingress and egress.

Also, Haslam wouldn't be forced to pay the entire amount. He would still get county and state support if push came to shove. LOL...he might still get support from the city. I suppose he could call the team the Brookpark Browns unless the city paid for naming rights.(mostly kidding here)

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
If the city of Cleveland proper loses the stadium and the Browns it’s going to hurt the city significantly. There’s no getting out of that. They’ve been trying for decades to resuscitate downtown, bringing the Cavs back, the guardians their own park, all the on-again, off-again flats development, east 4th and Ohio city etc etc. It would be a huge psychological and financial hit to the city if the browns moved out. Lots of other hard-luck cities have figured out how keep their gems close and build their relevance and appeal to the people and business that would want to move into a city and be part of a growing thriving community. The powers that be in the city have to make it happen or this is just the kind of thing that starts a more general exodus. And once an exodus builds a little momentum, it’s very hard to reverse. It’s taken Cleveland 60 years to stem the loss of population and jobs and it’s only just leveled off in the last 5-7. So yea, it’s still great for Ohio but Cleveland, the city the Browns represent would be hurt pretty bad.

A good oration on why the city needs to quit dragging their feet. The best solution is for the city to find the 50-60 acres of ground inside the city limits and build there, and keep the Browns playing on the lakefront until the new stadium project is complete.

If it took one more year due to moving things around in the way of site work and relocations, I am sure the city and Browns would find a way to extend the lease a year. The land purchase out in Brookpark willl still be a valuable addition to the Haslam portfolio.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

A good oration on why the city needs to quit dragging their feet. The best solution is for the city to find the 50-60 acres of ground inside the city limits and build there, and keep the Browns playing on the lakefront until the new stadium project is complete.

If it took one more year due to moving things around in the way of site work and relocations, I am sure the city and Browns would find a way to extend the lease a year. The land purchase out in Brookpark willl still be a valuable addition to the Haslam portfolio.

I could be wrong, but it seems that the owners that are cash heavy want more than just a stadium. The trend seems to be having a complex that they can put their signature on. The Cowboys, New England, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and eventually Carolina are building whole complexes with multi use capabilities. I'm not sure that 50-60 acres will meet those desires and the Brookpark purchase is a strong message being sent to the city of Cleveland as to the thought process of the Haslam's. JMHO, the city lost the Browns once by dragging their feet - which by the way they eventually did anyway - haven't they learned the lesson yet?

If you look at the oldest stadiums in the NFL:
Bears - Soldiers Field 1929 - Renovated in 2003 for 632M but team in process of looking for a new site & stadium
Packers - Lambeau Field 1957 - Last renovated in 2003 for 295M
Chiefs - Arrowhead Stadium 1972 - In the process of negotiating a new stadium or major renovation
Bills - New Era Field 1973 - The New Highmark Stadium is scheduled to open in 2026
Saints - Caesars Superdome 1975 - Last renovated in 2011 for 450M
Dolphins - Hard Rock Stadium 1987 - Last renovated in 2016 for 755M
Jaguars - EverBank Field 1995 - Renovations are scheduled to start in 2025 and take 2-years to complete
Panthers - Bank of America Stadium 1996 - Renovations in progress and additional talks continue
Washington - FedEx Field 1997 - 2023 stadium upgrade at 40M
Ravens - M&T Bank Stadium 1998 - The Ravens announced a multi-year 430M project (2024-2026) to enhance M&T Bank Stadium with significant projects to upgrade the stadium
Buccaneers - Raymond James Stadium 1998 -160M in stadium renovations made in 2016-2018
Browns - Browns Stadium 1999 - last renovated during the NFL off seasons in 2014 and 2015. The total cost of the renovations was estimated at $120 million with the city of Cleveland paying $30 million over 15 years and the Browns covering the rest of the cost. The current lease is up in 2028. Through the 2023 season, Cleveland Browns Stadium is the only NFL venue that has yet to host an NFL postseason game of any kind.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I certainly get all of that. And you would think the powers that be would take note of how it impacted the city when they lost the Browns back in the 90's. One would think they would have figured out that it's not a good idea to play a game of chicken with a multi billionaire. Modell wasn't even a multi billionaire which is why he needed a bribe from the city of Baltimore to leave. Haslam doesn't. I think maybe citizens of Cleveland should unite and let their politicians know that if they sit on their hands and allow the Browns to leave the city they won't be able to elected as dog catcher. That seems tto be the only message politicians care about anymore.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree they want a complex. That is why I think the odds are good they move out to Brookpark. They also want a dome. I think if they really want both, downtown is dead. If it boils down to one or the other, I think they want a dome.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Something I have been wondering for a while is could the city annex the said area in Brookpark in to the city? It's not an unincorporated area, so Brookpark would fight that, but maybe it wouldn't be necessary to fight over it. It could turn in to the city saying come to some agreement, or the stadium will be built downtown. Some sort of tax agreement could be had, and Brookpark would surely gain with the stadium at their doorstep.

It's a stretch, but not an impossible one.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've found out that in these times even things I would have thought to be far fetched and impossible are entirely possible. So I would consider this a possibility as well.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
I've been to more than 30 Browns games at the stadium as a spectator and also spent 2 seasons working concessions inside the stadium. So, I get the sentimental part, but things change.

I get it too... but I also think if I looked it up, the Browns would have more losses in that stadium than any other team... I'm ready to make some new memories... I vote we build new in Brookpark

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

To give you an idea of just how cash flush the Haslam's are, Berkshire Hathaway bought Pilot Flying J from them for approximately $13.6 billion. The payment for the final 20% which was paid just last month was $2.6 billion. This of course doesn't tell us anything about their plans moving forward on a new stadium. But what it does tell us is they have the funds to do whatever the hell they want to do.

Berkshire Paid $2.6 Billion for Haslam Family's Remaining 20% Pilot Stake

https://money.usnews.com/investing/...-haslam-familys-remaining-20-pilot-stake

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So, we have one of the oldest stadiums in the league that won't be replaced or haven't had significant renovations of 250m or more. Not a good look for Cleveland.

Others are
Chiefs - Arrowhead Stadium 1972 - In the process of negotiating a new stadium or major renovation (struggling to get a deal done)
Washington - FedEx Field 1997 - 2023 stadium upgrade at 40M (already planning on building a dome by 2031 and more upgrades coming for up to 230 mill)
Buccaneers - Raymond James Stadium 1998 -160M in stadium renovations made in 2016-2018

Everyone knows that the Haslams cannot move the team from Greater Cleveland... It was written into the contract along with not adding a logo to the primary helmet.

I think the city council is looking at this situation and understands that the Browns only play 10-14 games a year downtown with a couple of events sprinkled in between.
I bet they are wondering if it is worth investing 1 bill for 20-30 years (at 1 billion, it will cost the city about 2.7 to 3 million per game over 30 years).

I do believe a dome would open opportunities to generate more revenue for the city and add 20-30 more events a year which, would reduce the cost significantly while injecting more $ into the businesses in the city.

Now, if the Browns do move to Brookpark... I bet a lot of people will still stay downtown because they can ride the Rapid to the airport and would probably add several stops to the stadium.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
P
Legend
Legend
P
If a new stadium agreement isn't reached by the end of the current stadium lease, how can a city force a team to no longer function? I do know there's what's called "The Art Modell law" that prevents Haslam moving the team out of the state, but I haven't heard of anything that prevents him from moving the team out of downtown. I find it to be quite odd to say the least that any city can force an owner to sign a continuation of as lease after it expires and hold him hostage in a position where he can no longer operate his business. I don't believe that such a situation actually exists.

I think i understand the disconnect here. You don't consider a community only 14 minutes from Cleveland as a part of " the greater Cleveland area". I think you may be mistaken about that. The greater Cleveland area isn't restricted to the city of Cleveland.

I found what constitutes " Greater Cleveland "....

The Cleveland metropolitan area, or Greater Cleveland as it is more commonly known, is the metropolitan area surrounding the city of Cleveland in Northeast Ohio, United States. According to the 2020 United States Census results, the five-county Cleveland–Elyria Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) consists of Cuyahoga County, Geauga County, Lake County, Lorain County, and Medina County, and has a population of 2,088,251, making Greater Cleveland the 34th most populous metropolitan area in the United States, and the second largest metropolitan area in Ohio. The city of Cleveland is also part of the larger Cleveland–Akron–Canton Combined Statistical Area with a population of over 3.6 million people, the most populous metropolitan area in Ohio and the 17th most populous in the entire United States.

https://kids.kiddle.co/Greater_Cleveland

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think it reads, Greater Cleveland, not Cleveland proper. I think that range extends even out of Cuyahoga County. I don't know if there is any language in the agreement, but I think if we wanted to move to a site down towards Akron or Lorain County and it could still be considered Greater Cleveland.

I don't think we would do anything that drastic, but Brookpark would certainly fall within the realm of being Greater Cleveland.

Also, it will never get to the point of the lease expiring and us not having a place to play. We currently have the land. The city needs to figure this out by next fall or Haslam Sports group is going to flip the switch.

As for the land size, nothing says the Browns are going to leave Berea. From the current training complex, you can run out Eastland Road and be at the stadium site in maybe 5 minutes. I do it all the time. I stay in Middleburgh Heights most of the time when I go up to games. I run that route out to the Brookpark train station to get downtown. $5 for a day pass gets me parking and transport downtown and back.. It sure beats driving downtown and then have to pay $60 to park the car.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I wonder if this will have any influence on the Browns' situation.....

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I wonder if that is going to be on the existing site? The advantage they have is the Bears could play at Northwesterns stadium. I think it hold 45-50000 fans.

Cleveland doesn't have anything like that. Even Akron is pretty dinky. It holds maybe 25,000 people. The Browns probably have more than that many season ticket holders Probably more like 40,000.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I wonder if that is going to be on the existing site? The advantage they have is the Bears could play at Northwesterns stadium. I think it hold 45-50000 fans.

Cleveland doesn't have anything like that. Even Akron is pretty dinky. It holds maybe 25,000 people. The Browns probably have more than that many season ticket holders Probably more like 40,000.

Are they going to demolish Soldier Field? I thought the plan was to build something close, but not on top. I think SF is the oldest stadium in the NFL.

I guess it was a landmark before it was remodeled in 2004. In either event, if they can tear down Old Yankee Stadium, they can tear down anything.

I guess Lambeau would become the "new" oldest stadium in the NFL if SF were to be demolished.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Haslems Buy 176 Acre Property In Brookpark

Link Copied to Clipboard