Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
it's not a good idea for Cleveland. Keep it downtown.

I want it downtown as well. It needs to be a dome if you want big time. If rinky dink is what is wanted, we have that. A dome gives you the opportunity to go after BIG events and allows you the chance to use it year round. It's stupid for the city and team to go after another half ass stadium, but I understand some people don't think big. It is what it is.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
And to add....it makes sense for Haslam to move to his property.

We know about the Browns, but somewhere he has a Haslam land company or some such corporation.

The Browns pay rent to play in the current stadium. He might as well have the Browns Inc. pay rent to his land company Inc.

The beauty of having a ton of money. As they say, money makes money.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 02/11/24 09:52 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by EveDawg
I prefer the stadium downtown. Last time I was there my hotel room had a view overlooking the stadium and the lake. It was badass.

I know where you are talking. I usually stay at the Weston when we play night games. Perfect location and you don't have to drive out of town at 11PM or later. It was Crown Plaza before Marriott took the property. It was closed for 2-3 years before Marriott took the property.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My .02 is that moving the stadium out of downtown Cleveland would be devastating to the city and its hopes to further revitalize. Cleveland is a football town and good or bad the team is near and dear the heart of the city. Psychologically and economically it would be very very bad for a city trying to get some investment and development momentum. The city needs to get the push on and make something happen.

That said, as a business and property investor myself (small time I promise you) I’m always hesitant about the city of Cleveland. I’ve had the opportunity a handful of times to do things, invest in or buy things in the city and it’s the city itself, the way it’s run and it’s seeming crippling inertia that always gives me pause. The view from the outside is a city mired in decades and decades of beurocratic quicksand. And they sometimes (not so rarely) make head scratching “committee” decisions to shoot themselves squarely in the face. I don’t want to turn this into a rag on the city but 17 iterations of lakefront plans!?!?… come on now. At some point leadership has to be able to get the freakin’ ball over the goal line. If you can’t, you have to start looking at what (or who) is systematically wrong with the city. Maybe that time has already long since come. I frankly wouldn’t have much faith either if I were the haslams!

And I wouldn’t put much stock in the Haslams declarations of allegiance to NE ohio. If things go sideways badly enough and another midsize city starts seriously batting eyes and showing cleavage, the haslams are billionaires, they’re gonna do what’s right for them, full stop. I’m not saying all billionaires are alike and I haven’t met many but do actually know a few and if one thing holds true across the board, they have allegiance only to themselves and their people. Being absolutely singular in purpose is largely how they get to where they are and stay there. Promises and contracts are meant to be broken if they can be and if the grass is truly greener on the other side. They’re perfectly ok to take the public relations black eye for a few years. So yea, brook park, Toronto, Austin, whatever.

Get your together Cleveland

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
2 members like this: PitDAWG, Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don’t want to turn this into a rag on the city but 17 iterations of lakefront plans!?!?

Funny you say that. I think that is how many commissioners sit on the city commission along with the mayor. It's hard to get anything done when you have that many people trying to find solution to an issue.

I find it hard to think the city can't cobble up enough space for a stadium somewhere downtown. I think they could make the space on the bluff above the muni lot. Both the TV3 broadcast station and FBI could easily be moved. After that it is blocks of rundown buildings with only a handful of small businesses that would have to be relocated.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I don’t want to turn this into a rag on the city but 17 iterations of lakefront plans!?!?

Funny you say that. I think that is how many commissioners sit on the city commission along with the mayor. It's hard to get anything done when you have that many people trying to find solution to an issue.

I find it hard to think the city can't cobble up enough space for a stadium somewhere downtown. I think they could make the space on the bluff above the muni lot. Both the TV3 broadcast station and FBI could easily be moved. After that it is blocks of rundown buildings with only a handful of small businesses that would have to be relocated.

They're not moving all that stuff to build a stadium. They're either rebuilding on the same site or renovating on the same site. The Browns will play somewhere else (probably Canton) during that time. They can't even put their heads together to build a pedestrian bridge, now they're gonna relocate TV stations, businesses and the FBI?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Just my .02.. one of my friends recently went to a concert in at the Raiders Stadium in Vegas. He said that it is amazing how easily he was able to get in/out the parking lot. Pretty much said that everything about indicated how well-planned and intelligent of a design for the building and overall property itself. As for Browns games, I know several people who won’t go because traffic is horrible getting out of that place. I think that the stadium actually looks good and is in good shape so I don’t see the need to change it. However, if they build in Brookpark, I hope that they take a page out of Vegas plans.

Legend
Legend
Just think of all the extracurricular activities this location would offer:

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: RememberMuni
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
😂

Couple that with beer and booze and we’d put Bills mafia to shame,

1 member likes this: jfanent
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
Just my .02.. one of my friends recently went to a concert in at the Raiders Stadium in Vegas. He said that it is amazing how easily he was able to get in/out the parking lot. Pretty much said that everything about indicated how well-planned and intelligent of a design for the building and overall property itself. As for Browns games, I know several people who won’t go because traffic is horrible getting out of that place. I think that the stadium actually looks good and is in good shape so I don’t see the need to change it. However, if they build in Brookpark, I hope that they take a page out of Vegas plans.

The parking at Allegiant stadium is inadequate and atrocious. The stadium was planned for people to walk/ride share over from the strip. If you’re doing that it’s not bad.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
Just think of all the extracurricular activities this location would offer:

THAT is a blast. Just get your butt in the water before that bird takes off. You'll only stand on the beach for it once.

I could watch planes land there all day though.

There is a much cooler bar, with a much better beach, right around the corner. Planes don't land on your face there, but still pretty up close and personal. Maybe my favorite place in the world.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the property in Brookpark might not be a viable option due to FAA and their rules, together with the League rules on aircraft flying over their stadiums during games.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm pretty sure Bibb would be forcefully removed from office if he lets the Browns leave downtown.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I think it would be a great idea. Now, I know I don't live in Cleveland, but developing that area would be a benefit for a lot of people in the area. There are many Stadiums next to airports, I don
t think that is a problem. Building one of these new style stadiums would open the doors to the area to host many big events. I understand the nostalgia of having the stadium on the waterfront, but in the long run I believe it would be a great move. If you ever wanted a Superbowl in Cleveland, this would probably guarantee it. Think of the major musical tours that could be lured to perform there. I don't see any downfall to this idea. More space, a better environment to watch the games, and the entertainment potential would be huge.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
I definitely know nothing of FAA rules, so I can't speak to that.

However, it seems that flying over a stadium on that site would be a near impossibility given the trajectory of the runways.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I’ll ask him to go into detail the next time that I speak with him. He stayed at an Airbnb while there so presumably he didn’t stay on the strip. I’ll do some digging.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted by FATE

However, it seems that flying over a stadium on that site would be a near impossibility given the trajectory of the runways.

Can't fly under 3,000 within 3 nautical miles of a stadium while an event is going on.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
It's on google maps, definitely official. ooo

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Squires

Can't fly under 3,000 within 3 nautical miles of a stadium while an event is going on.

Well, there must be exceptions or other language concerning flight path... Allegiant Stadium is less than 1/2 mile from the airport in Vegas.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted by Squires

Well, there must be exceptions or other language concerning flight path... Allegiant Stadium is less than 1/2 mile from the airport in Vegas.

Typically, FAA will put up a temporary flight restriction(TFR) with the restriction noted above(or more). I think Vegas went out to 10 nM for the Super Bowl. However, ATC can authorize a plane into the restricted area. Arrival/departures are typically allowed.

From FAA:
THE AIRCRAFT OPERATION HAS BEEN AUTHORIZED BY ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY PURPOSES, INCLUDING AUTHORIZATION OF FLIGHTS SPECIFICALLY ARRIVING AT OR DEPARTING FROM AN AIRPORT DESIGNATED BY ATC USING STANDARD ATC PROCEDURES AND ROUTES

Full FAA text if you want to make your eyes bleed

As far as Brookpark location goes, I don't think this would impact air traffic into or out of Hopkins during game day.

Legend
Legend
Wow, you're not kidding about making my eyes bleed... yikes. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting lol.

I figured the exceptions would be for arrivals and departures. I would guess most language would be a directive to ATCs to advise traffic anomalies during event times.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The Haslams aren't stupid. I am sure that all the restrictions associated with the property were researched. I am sure that they wouldn't purchase a property to possibly build a stadium, then find out after the fact they couldn't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
3 members like this: lampdogg, PitDAWG, Rishuz
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's no doubt you are correct. That would be one of the early and most basic things they would do.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is all beginning to sound sadly familiar.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Simply put, Jimmy Haslam is too smart to be dealing with the unqualified idiots in charge of Cleveland. Jimmy - Take a page out of the Chicago Bears book and take your money and our team elsewhere.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Like I said. He is a man of action. He isn't going to wait around while others fiddlefart around.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Throw a retractable hat on the Stadium on the lake and call it a day.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by DaveyD

It's a near impossibility, structurally, that would cost nearly as much as a new stadium. At least, that's what the experts have said.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Not only that, the stadium is on landfill and engineering says the land can't support the extra weight of a roof.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Ahhh. Yes sir, I knew there was something else I was forgetting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

they can drill down to bedrock to support the roof

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

they can drill down to bedrock to support the roof

Maybe. Below that area are vast salt deposits. I am not sure if hitting that would work or if they would have to drill down further, which could be quite a bit further.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
How about a nice canvas cover thumbsup thumbsup willynilly

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Saran Wrap so we can get some natural light.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Saran Wrap so we can get some natural light.

5 members like this: EveDawg, lampdogg, dawglover05
L
Legend
Legend
L
Like Peter, I find that Saran Wrap can be a pain in the ass. Wife can navigate that no problem, I end up tearing it wrong, getting it stuck together and using twice as much - or more - as I needed, just to wrap a sandwich.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

It's a near impossibility, structurally, that would cost nearly as much as a new stadium. At least, that's what the experts have said.

Maybe Haslam is looking at building a whole entertainment complex like the Patriots did with Patriot Place. Shopping, restaurants galore, dome stadium and a new state of the art training facility. With the dome (hopefully retractable) or consisting of the field being moved out to maintain a grass field (like Vegas and Arizona), the Browns could build an entire entertainment complex that would be open year-round with the dome in play. It would be a huge draw for Northern Ohio and actually, IMHO, benefit the entire area including Cleveland. Not to mention the opportunity for a Super Bowl, NCAA Final 4, year-round major concerts and/or a major bowl game which Cleveland currently has zero chance of getting.

Maybe it's just me but with proper planning and investment, a new entertainment complex larger than Patriot Place would be a huge financial benefit to the area, including Cleveland.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Haslems Buy 176 Acre Property In Brookpark

Link Copied to Clipboard