Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
P
Legend
Legend
P
That all sounds good in theory, but outside of Cooper, our leading WR, Moore had 652 receiving yards. Far less than DPJ's 2022 receiving yards of 839. The only other Browns WR to break 200 yards was Tillman. That's not good. NJoku increased his completion yardage by over 150 yards which is great. But that doesn't change the WR production or lack there of.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
That all sounds good in theory, but outside of Cooper, our leading WR, Moore had 652 receiving yards. Far less than DPJ's 2022 receiving yards of 839. The only other Browns WR to break 200 yards was Tillman. That's not good. NJoku increased his completion yardage by over 150 yards which is great. But that doesn't change the WR production or lack there of.

How do you build a different receiver set without an identity? Without consistent quarterback play?

Look at SF and KC. Does either match Cincinnati's receivers? Both are better at OL positions. Out of the three, which offense is more consistent and overcomes injuries?

If you add cap money to the receiver position, what position are you subtracting from?

Having Chubb makes a huge difference too. Look at SF with McCaffrey. Then again, KC's running backs are not elite.

How does Brock Purdy function with only Deebo Samuel and Kittle? Watson has Cooper and Njoku. Is there that much difference in quality?

I believe fans underestimate the power of diversity.

I agree Browns WRs cannot carry the offense, but it isn't designed to.

I think the Browns are designing an offense with a combination of SF and KC.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Are you suggesting we had an "identity" and "consistent quarterback play" in 2022? Yet the unit regressed. KC has Mahomes. Don't pretend that isn't the biggest difference. And pretending having a weak WR unit doesn't matter is fools gold. But I will agree with you that if you don't have a QB who can maximize the talent of those WR's it won't make much difference. That's something we're not sure of yet either way.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
No, I am not suggesting we had an identity and consistency in 2022. I can say they haven't played enough to determine what the current roster is capable of these last two seasons.

Yes, KC has Mahomes, but they also have an identity and consistency much easier to build around. They also invested money in the OL over the receiver group.

I am saying is Browns don't need to open a checkbook and start signing elite receivers.

SF has Brock Purdy. I think Watson can match that level of QB. I believe the Browns are much closer to that level of receiver play. Adding another $23 million receiver won't make Cleveland a super offense.

Cleveland will need to replace Cooper in the coming years. Can they draft a QB or sign a free-agent later?

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
We have a great OL. Only injuries impacted that and even then the backups stepped up well. So I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't see where I suggested adding a 23 million dollar WR. But your second WR should be producing more than what the Browns is and when your third WR only caught for a little over 200 yards that's putrid. And just an FYI, Deebo ranked 2nd amongst 49'ers WR's in reception yardage by almost a 450 to Aiyuk. Aiyuk having 1342 and Deebo having 892. You can either run good routes and catch the ball or you can't. You either have the speed and route running ability to create separation or you don't. It doesn't take that long to figure out if a WR can do those things or not.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
If the Browns had consistent QB play, do you think maybe the receiving yardage would be better?

If you don't like $23 million, I'm not sure what cheaper receiver you're seeking in FA that will produce more dependable numbers than Moore. Last year FA receivers were pretty pricey.

O
Legend
Legend
O
We gave Schwartz how many years to try to figure it out?

Moore will be fine. He'll be here next season and hopefully we'll have some semblance of sanity at the QB position as we go through the year.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
We wasted Moore the 1st 4-5-6 games trying to use him as a jack of all trades. He was our designated "gadget" guy, and other teams knew it.

Gadget plays usually need some element of surprise.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Was just discussing the WRs last night with a couple Browns fan buddies...we all agreed that the WR position is - by far - the weakest position on the team. The only known WR we have is Cooper...and he isn't young. Tillman will get Schwartz-like time to show something...and the early-on Moore-experiment (noted ^ by Peen) was a total failure leaving us not knowing if he's a viable 2-3 type WR. The rest of the guys wouldn't make the 53 of last year's playoff teams...or some teams who missed the playoffs.

My biggest concern overall is that I only see one thing about last year that is sustainable going forward - resilience and the apparent culture-improvement...which is good and important. Getting good QB play from an old, couch-surfing back up QB is lightning in a bottle...getting adequate play out of your nth O-lineman is lightning in a bottle...playing against x backup QBs is lightning in a bottle...playing the 4th place schedule is opportunistic (it'll be 2nd place for '24)...getting solid contributions from (2) UDFA safeties - one a rookie - is...well...you know.

It's not all gloom and doom though...whether we see it or not, every new season is a do-over/start-over for every team except the very, very best...and even those teams will churn the roster and lose important pieces...they just overcome the losses much better/easier.

We need to draft a WR and buy one...at a minimum. If the guy is 6' or under he better be crazy dynamic...otherwise the guy needs to be 6' plus and know how to play the position with some size. We have guys of both sizes...with only one who fits the definition.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
The rest of the guys wouldn't make the 53 of last year's playoff teams...or some teams who missed the playoffs.

Now that's simply false right there. DPJ, the Browns #2 WR last year, who outperformed Moore's production based on last year was traded to the Lions for s fifth round pick in 2025.

Not only did he make their roster, he caught 5 passes for 58 yards and played special teams as well. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Ty Chandler SZN

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Tyreek always breaking people's bones and saying he didn't break anyone's bones. I guess the upside (?) is this isn't a kid being beat...

Dolphins' Tyreek Hill didn't break woman's leg, lawyer claims

Marcel Louis-Jacques, ESPN
Mar 1, 2024, 12:16 AM ET

MIAMI -- A lawyer representing Tyreek Hill denied allegations that the Miami Dolphins receiver broke a woman's leg while running football drills at his home last year, calling them in a statement obtained by ESPN on Thursday "baseless."

The woman, Sophie Hall, filed a civil lawsuit in Broward County on Feb. 23. Hall, a self-described actress, model and social media influencer, accused Hill of battery, assault, negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress, based on events that occurred at the receiver's Miami-area home June 28.

Hall alleged Hill flew her to South Florida to stay with him at his home for "several days" but became "angry" and "embarrassed" when she knocked him back while performing football activities the day she arrived. According to the lawsuit, Hill allegedly "charged into her violently and with great force, resulting in significant and serious injuries."

Hall claimed that after she suffered the injury, Hill declined to get her medical attention and downplayed its severity. She said she ultimately was diagnosed with a fractured leg that needed surgery when she returned home.

However, in the statement released to ESPN on Thursday, Hill's attorney, Julius B. Collins, disputed Hall's allegations and said they believe the lawsuit was filed to "generate bad publicity for Mr. Hill in an attempt to 'scare tactic' him into personally covering the cost of Ms. Hall's medical bills."

Hill claimed Hall actually hurt her leg tripping over a dog while performing the drills, and Collins accused Hall's counsel of intentionally omitting that from her original complaint. (Hall's lawsuit does mention a puppy disrupting a drill, but does not say the dog caused her to fall.)

Hill also insisted the drills were playful and advised that there is a pending claim with his homeowners' insurance company, with the intention of "fully covering" Hall's medical bills.

Hall's lawsuit requested compensation for damages between $50,001 and $75,000, and demanded a trial by jury.

Collins said Hill is prepared to defend himself.

Dolphins general manager Chris Grier was asked about the lawsuit earlier this week and said the team has been in contact with the league since being notified of it.

"Yeah, we were made aware of it," Grier said. "We were in communication with NFL security, so I really can't comment on anything of that until we get all our information and find out what happened. For us, Tyreek has been a good addition for us, but in terms of all the off-field stuff, we'll have to get all the information before we can really comment on it."

ESPN's Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39628881/dolphins-tyreek-hill-break-woman-leg-lawyer-claims

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Was just discussing the WRs last night with a couple Browns fan buddies...we all agreed that the WR position is - by far - the weakest position on the team. The only known WR we have is Cooper...and he isn't young. Tillman will get Schwartz-like time to show something...and the early-on Moore-experiment (noted ^ by Peen) was a total failure leaving us not knowing if he's a viable 2-3 type WR. The rest of the guys wouldn't make the 53 of last year's playoff teams...or some teams who missed the playoffs.

My biggest concern overall is that I only see one thing about last year that is sustainable going forward - resilience and the apparent culture-improvement...which is good and important. Getting good QB play from an old, couch-surfing back up QB is lightning in a bottle...getting adequate play out of your nth O-lineman is lightning in a bottle...playing against x backup QBs is lightning in a bottle...playing the 4th place schedule is opportunistic (it'll be 2nd place for '24)...getting solid contributions from (2) UDFA safeties - one a rookie - is...well...you know.

It's not all gloom and doom though...whether we see it or not, every new season is a do-over/start-over for every team except the very, very best...and even those teams will churn the roster and lose important pieces...they just overcome the losses much better/easier.

We need to draft a WR and buy one...at a minimum. If the guy is 6' or under he better be crazy dynamic...otherwise the guy needs to be 6' plus and know how to play the position with some size. We have guys of both sizes...with only one who fits the definition.

I still have hope for Tillman. We didn't play him much until around week 12. At least it seemed that way. He has good hands from what I have seen and is one of those bigger guys who has a good idea of how to use his bulk, as you mentioned in your post.

I do agree we need to go hard in FA for another solid, proven vet, and draft another receiver. Maybe two.. One with one of our first two picks, and maybe another later on.

David bell, we can just cut him. He has pretty good hands, but he is slow and doesn't have the ability to compensate for that with some shake in his moves to get open. To me, shake is the most important factor after hands. If you can't get open, it rarely matters how fast the guy might be.

A guy I really like is Ladd McConkey out of Georgia. He isn't all that fast, but he gets open and has glue hands. In Browns terms, think Brian Brennan. He is also good at returning punts because of his hands and he has the shake to make the first guy miss. If a punt returner can beat that first guy he is almost always going to gain at least 10 yards on the return, and a good number of times way more.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Much like yourself I haven't given up on Tillman. Also much like yourself I think they need to, at the very least sign and draft another WR. While I love Tillman's skill set I'm not willing to place all of my eggs in the Tillman basket.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree.

But Tillman needs to be ready. He needs to show that he has put in the mental work and physical work to make a giant leap.

I also agree I am not counting on him. I would like to see us sign a productive pro and draft a guy with great promise. This draft is really deep in receivers.

If we are going to become more of a passing team then we need bonafide receivers.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
I agree.

But Tillman needs to be ready. He needs to show that he has put in the mental work and physical work to make a giant leap.

I also agree I am not counting on him. I would like to see us sign a productive pro and draft a guy with great promise. This draft is really deep in receivers.

If we are going to become more of a passing team then we need bonafide receivers.

Everything I have read is it is a weak draft at receiver. It's a pretty good draft for Oline.

We are at the end of the Covid guys,,,,5th/6th year seniors. No doubt there are some good receivers, I just don't think it is all that deep.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not sure where you have been reading that.....

2024 NFL Draft: Strengths, weaknesses for the top wide receiver prospects

The 2024 NFL Draft wide receiver class is one of the deepest talent groups we have this draft season. Whether teams need an outside “X” receiver on the line of scrimmage, a moving flanker or a slot stud, they can find one.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-strengths-weaknesses-wide-receiver-prospects

It's a longer article but this is the part of it that addresses the strength of the WR position in the draft.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Bucs, Mike Evans agree to 2-year, $52M contract, agent says
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39651873/bucs-mike-evans-agree-2-year-52m-contract-agent-says

I'm curious to see the contract breakdown.....$26MM avg per year for someone who will be 31 years to start the season seems risky. But then again, with the ways players are these days 31 years of age isn't what it was a decade ago. Plus, the $30MM just in cap helps a bit too.

This also sets the tone for the entire WR FA market and FA overall, to a lesser degree. Teams are going to spend big, in my opinion.

Interested to see what Michael Pittman, Calvin Ridley, and Marquise Brown end up getting.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
And that's the entire point. People get excited when the salary cap gets increased which on paper looks great. But then the salaries all increase so in the end you have the same buying power with the increased amount as you had before. I mean you may have a little more buying power but in the end the difference is insignificant. The only way you can really help your situation is to restructure contracts in a manner you're still paying players after they're gone. And the bill will eventually come due for that tactic as well.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Evans contract certainly puts a wrench into what the Browns can do with Cooper going forward since as of today, they still have 11.328M in prorated bonus that would have to be included into any new deal this off season. I'd be shocked if Cooper started any new contract extension with anything less than 26M a year. With no one in the WR stall apparently ready to displace Cooper as the #1 WR, do the Browns dare go into the 2024 season without a new deal for Cooper? Of course, they could plan to "Franchise Tag" Cooper in 2025 but that's guaranteed money and they'd still have the prorated bonus money attached to that figure which this year is 21.816M for a "Franchise Tagged" WR and will be higher next season.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no idea what they will do concerning Cooper. My overall point is that every major positions contract numbers will be increasing. WR's, CB's, OT's, DE's, and so on. The increase in the salary cap will simply mean you will be paying more for the same players this season that you could have signed for less last season. The only difference is that going into the 2025 draft the Browns will have a first round draft pick to address the WR position should they not be able to reach a deal with Cooper. And please don't jump to the conclusion that I think that means they can replace Cooper with that draft pick. All they could do is have a better chance of success than they would with a lesser draft pick at the same position.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

Could be an Andrew Berry target but he will cost a lot.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm sure we all expected this but now it's official....

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Wilkins would be a great sign for the Browns. IMO

He is a talented younger guy. The type of FA you do not often get a chance at.

He would be a real difference maker on the defense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
I'm sure we all expected this but now it's official....

what's crazy is they are going to take an 85 mill dead cap hit over the next 2 years.

they are officially in rebuild mode.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

This move seems very odd.

That said, I've always liked him as a player. Would be a nice depth piece on the offense.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good signing, IMO.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

This move seems very odd.

That said, I've always liked him as a player. Would be a nice depth piece on the offense.

Original tweet edited. Makes a little more sense.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Player News Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard