Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Legend
Legend
B
Another point is the owners have the inside "skinny" on where the salary cap is likely to go. Not only for the upcoming season, but for several seasons to come, maybe a decade to come. They have fairly reliable projections and know of other deals that are in the works. They share some of those projections with their GMs so they know where the new cap is pretty certain to fall, at least inside fairly reliable parameters so plan for the bottom 1/3 inside those brackets, anything beyond that is gravy.

If it looks like the cap might be reduced based on 3 year projections, the GMs will get that word and start to scale back a year or two before. The word is the Browns might play in Brazil this season. It's obvious the NFL is dedicated to having a global reach...at least in the Americas and western Europe. They still have $billions of growth potential. It's pretty safe to think that the cap is going to increase for at least another 10 years, maybe 20....assuming things remain fairly stable and big bombs don't start blowing up all over the place.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Watson, the gift that keeps giving. Smh. At least it’s not NEW trouble.

had the exact same thought when I read it... so far this has been a horrible trade for us...

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
I fully expect the Browns to restructure Watson's contract again, but I wonder with this news of a $30MM increase in the 2024 cap if they'll devote more of his contract to the 2024 books than they originally had planned?

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
j/c

I don't understand why the discussion around the salary cap seems to be such a hot-button topic. The salary cap is real...it can become a problem...it CAN be managed...especially when you have a deep-pockets owner who is willing to pay out crazy sums of actual cash.

Both sides of the argument are correct (IMO) in their stance(s). :shrugs:

The one thing about the cap that is hardest to figure out - while managing it - is that you MUST draft 'well' when playing the spending game. You have GOT to be able to find less-expensive guys to make up for the very-expensive guys. Mess that up and no amount of owner-spending can make up for it. JMO

100% - And to add, the idea that paying a QB $250M and the contract that Watson got is no big deal and doesn't impact the team or impact the decision making on who you can sign in free agency and who you can resign from the players you drafted is not reality. Of course the cap can be managed. But huge contracts impact the team no matter what happens to the NFL cap number. And if your huge contract signing then goes on to underperform it's a double whammy.
Hopefully we saw the start of a turnaround in performance for DW this season in one or two games ...

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
I fully expect the Browns to restructure Watson's contract again, but I wonder with this news of a $30MM increase in the 2024 cap if they'll devote more of his contract to the 2024 books than they originally had planned?

If there is even the beginning of a lean toward them thinking they want out of it, they won't restructure to push money back and will instead let as much as possible be accounted for this year to make getting out of it less costly down the road.

This massive increase plus the amount we carried over should have us sitting nicely to take either approach and still be active in free agency.... though, we had a TON of 1-year deals from last year that we need to revisit.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

If there is even the beginning of a lean toward them thinking they want out of it, they won't restructure to push money back and will instead let as much as possible be accounted for this year to make getting out of it less costly down the road.

This massive increase plus the amount we carried over should have us sitting nicely to take either approach and still be active in free agency.... though, we had a TON of 1-year deals from last year that we need to revisit.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Does anyone know if last year's one-year contracts turn into compensatory draft picks if Berry cannot re-sign the player this year?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bugs
Does anyone know if last year's one-year contracts turn into compensatory draft picks if Berry cannot re-sign the player this year?

Depends on what they would sign for elsewhere and who we would add in FA (and at what price.)

link

Last edited by Bull_Dawg; 02/26/24 05:48 PM. Reason: Added link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: bugs
Legend
Legend
Yup.
They'll be eligible for consideration, but as you pointed out, it depends on a few factors - mostly money replacing them vs what they're getting to leave. I can't recall if playing time/contribution level gets accounted for anywhere. There's a whole crazy formula out there, somewhere, that some guy worked out that covers it all.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: bugs
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
PSA:

Friendly reminder.....

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Browns restructure Denzel Ward’s contract
The Browns have a bit more cap space to work with as they plan for the 2024 season.

Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that the team has restructured the contract of cornerback Denzel Ward. The move opens up $11.359 million for the Browns to work with this season.

Ward signed a five-year extension with the Browns ahead of the 2022 season and he has a guaranteed salary of $15.324 million for the 2024 campaign. His cap number was set to be nearly $23.5 million, but the restructure kicks a good chunk of that figure into future seasons.

Ward had 34 tackles, two interceptions and a forced fumble in 13 games last season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...browns-restructure-denzel-wards-contract

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Berry's job. He has the resume.

We all know that this season is about Deshaun Watson. Year three with the fate of the Browns hanging in the balance.

Looking back at how he has played to date is understandable. Little consistency with some flashes of good. The season ending injury left a giant question mark?

It is concerning because more than inconsistency health becomes an issue. Can he stay on the field?

I have mixed feelings for sure. Nobody can predict when or how an injury will occur. This last season saw a bunch of starting quarterbacks get hurt. Burrow, DW, Rodgers, Herbert, Hurts, Pickett, Jones.

DW style of play could be a factor. He is not good at protecting himself.

I want to see him play an entire year.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly. Saying he will or won't play well cannot be predicted. Having an opinion one way or the other is perfectly fine. IMO, there's no reason to say he won't play well. He has the physical and mental ability as a QB to do so. He's done it before. We'll all have to wait and see if he can do it again. We're in good hands with Andrew Berry. The gentleman seems intelligent and articulate, and I enjoy hearing him speak. I feel much the same about KS. It's the best GM and HC combination since we've come back by far maybe the best in the last 40 years.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 02/28/24 09:53 AM.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, jfanent
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
The type of injury he had is not as concerning as some injuries. I don't even play a doctor on tv.

My sister is a good resource. Bones when healed are not a concern to break again anymore than another bone.

Ligament, tendons, nerve, damage can be more questionable.

I agree. I see no reason for him not to play well.

How will he play? I don't know.

My concern is that he better learn to protect himself. Some hits are unavoidable. Knowing when to get down and protect yourself is a skill. He needs to learn how to play that way.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Not a very good report card with an overall rank of 23rd of 32 teams. Grades aside, the highest ranking compared to the rest of the league is Ownership, 17th of 32 teams. Imagine that!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Interesting.

This doesn't mean the results are bad. The replies are compared to the replies of other teams players. What also isn't know is how far are the gaps between being 20th on the report card and 10th on the report card. Just a few replies can impact that standing quite a bit.

I also notice that size of facilities is a big factor for players. You can't put in a family room if you don't have the space. Same for bigger lockers , weight rooms and nutrition.

A new stadium and practice facility would improve the grades. The stadium is locked in place as is Berea. I know many have been to Berea. They have no room to add to the building unless they chop in to the practice fields or kick people out of the homes surrounding the facility to get more space.

The owner is trying to work those out with the city of Cleveland and build new facilities.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I do think it's nice for the employees to have the ability to grade their employers for a change. I just wonder if current players entering the FA market will take any of these grades into consideration?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A lot of this isn’t unexpected. The team drastically needs new facilities.

What is surprising is that the Coach of the Year is actually one of the lowest graded coaches in the NFL by his own team.

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Interesting.

This doesn't mean the results are bad. The replies are compared to the replies of other teams players. What also isn't know is how far are the gaps between being 20th on the report card and 10th on the report card. Just a few replies can impact that standing quite a bit.

I also notice that size of facilities is a big factor for players. You can't put in a family room if you don't have the space. Same for bigger lockers , weight rooms and nutrition.

A new stadium and practice facility would improve the grades. The stadium is locked in place as is Berea. I know many have been to Berea. They have no room to add to the building unless they chop in to the practice fields or kick people out of the homes surrounding the facility to get more space.

The owner is trying to work those out with the city of Cleveland and build new facilities.

The Browns have already bought up a lot of the houses around the facility in Berea. they have been working on this for a few years now. This kind of stuff takes time.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I know. I stay in Middleburg Hgts when I go up to games. Several times a season I drive by the training complex just to take a look-see. I can see the empty lots that once had homes on them.

Looks like a couple more and they could bring the practice field areas out more towards the street, freeing up more space along the east parameter that would allow expansion to the main building.

The parking lot up front is already pretty small as witnessed by the overflow lot across Groza Blvd.

As for the stadium, it is what it is, nothing much can be done to expand things there. I will note that when the stadium was built, the locker rooms were all the rage at the time. It just goes to show how things change over 25 years.

As for things like double bunking, I don't care about that. It said some players. I take that to mean maybe rookies and transitory players. Guys who sign mid-season, things along those lines.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ~Con~Artist~
A lot of this isn’t unexpected. The team drastically needs new facilities.

What is surprising is that the Coach of the Year is actually one of the lowest graded coaches in the NFL by his own team.
....With a B-?

And the owner of the Super Bowl Winning Chiefs got an F-.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024/2/28/24085853/nflpa-team-report-card-chiefs-poor-grades

Some of the grades correlated to the percentages applied in various category questions seems off by a mile. I'm assuming there are more variables but still...a lot doesn't match.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c…

Some great news!

9 members like this: WSU Willie, ScottPlayersFacemask, Jester
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Great news Jim i’m very happy for you!! Hope everything continues to go well. I lost my wife to cancer in February 2022. Terrible to see what she went through. Rotten insidious disease.

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll be very surprised (but ecstatic) if they can bring back Flacco as the backup for a manageable amount.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I'll be very surprised (but ecstatic) if they can bring back Flacco as the backup for a manageable amount.

I agree. I feel relatively sure there may be other teams vying for his services which may create a situation where signing him would cost more than it did last year. But hopefully that cost will be something within reason.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I agree. I feel relatively sure there may be other teams vying for his services which may create a situation where signing him would cost more than it did last year. But hopefully that cost will be something within reason.

I like Flacco, but can the Browns sign Joe and sign a top-tier FA receiver that everyone wants? The other thing to consider is whether Flacco is as productive under Dorsey.

Yes, it's nice having a quality backup QB. It not only comes at a price to sign. You also have to subtract funds from another position.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think this is a bad idea. If Watson doesn’t come out of the gate fast there’s going to be a sizable and loud contingent of Browns fans booing and calling Flacco’s name. I can already read the Mary Kay article in my head.

Flacco is a backup, he’s not a viable starter. He’s a great story but I said this when we signed him and it never stopped being true; he gives the ball away consistently. That’s not going to change. He’s fun to watch but you have a hard ceiling with him as a starter. There’s a big group of Browns fans who think he really could/ should be the starter. That’s a problem.

This is funny coming from me because I’m on the record for being extremely critical of the Watson signing but they need to be all in on Watson this year. No ifs ands or buts. They need zero controversy.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 03/06/24 12:12 AM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bugs
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

I like Flacco, but can the Browns sign Joe and sign a top-tier FA receiver that everyone wants? The other thing to consider is whether Flacco is as productive under Dorsey.

Yes, it's nice having a quality backup QB. It not only comes at a price to sign. You also have to subtract funds from another position.

I don't know if it will cost all the much. It won't be rookie money by any means, but Joe is at the point he has made big money and knows he is at the end of the string as a player. Moving around from town to town is a disruption. He seems to like his station in life right now and as you near the end of your career...any career, you just decide this is the place I want it to end, especially if you have accomplished most of your goals and you don't have to chase the $ any longer.

My only concern is if Joe is signed, there are enough people who just don't like Watson and with every incompletion, "We want Joe" chants will echo around the stadium. That's a disruption we don't need.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard