Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2062631 03/14/24 09:02 AM
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

If they would sign him, it seems like one of those situations where you find talent that hasn't matched draft position on the cheap and hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

Bush was the #10 overall pick in the 2019 draft.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wouldn't mind taking a flier on him. What he did well at Michigan would seem to fit with Schwartz's aggressive style. He's still fairly young.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
I would prefer Devin White.

The cost for Bush is likely way less. He will get around $2.5. White around $10.

White is worth the money. Bush?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Good point Bone but I feel either one would help us. They are both 26 this year. Young guys that could improve under JS.

Legend
Legend
simple case of a guy being able to survive on his draft spot

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Up to this point I'm pleased with the FA signings. If we can sign a LB that would be good. Then we can use the draft for BPA.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by bonefish
I would prefer Devin White.

The cost for Bush is likely way less. He will get around $2.5. White around $10.

White is worth the money. Bush?

Is White worth the money? I don't so much question that White is the better player. It's about the value. Does it matter if your paper weight is solid gold? Can it get the job that you are asking it to do done? Does it fit within your budget? What are you asking it to do?

I'm not sure that White is 300% better than Bush or that he'd produce 3 times the value even if so.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Up to this point I'm pleased with the FA signings. If we can sign a LB that would be good. Then we can use the draft for BPA.
I agree .. I see on twitter that some people are mad that we aren't going for the big names, but we are being smart. We'll probably still trade Newsome, gain some draft capital and save some money there too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Value and performance is a measured risk.

If Bush can play a role in this defense. He does not need to be a standout player.

White is bigger and faster. He is the better player. But he would cost more than double Bush.

Maybe that money can be better used? Hard to say. Bush is still young maybe he has improved and will be all we need.

I really liked White his first couple years. There is chatter that he likes to free lance.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't believe that playing "3 times better" is the measuring stick. You have levels of players and their value is, or at least should be based on which level they fit into. As an example a WR who catches for 600 yards per season doesn't mean a WR who catches for 1200 yards per season isn't worth three times as much. It's true his production in only double that of the WR who catches for 600 yards but he is in the elite level of WR's and that's what the market is set at for his services.

I think bone hit the nail on the head. If Bush can fill the needs at the position adequately there is no need to sign a player at the elite level at the position. That does not however mean that White isn't worth the money for a team that requires a better player in that role.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't believe that playing "3 times better" is the measuring stick. You have levels of players and their value is, or at least should be based on which level they fit into. As an example a WR who catches for 600 yards per season doesn't mean a WR who catches for 1200 yards per season isn't worth three times as much. It's true his production in only double that of the WR who catches for 600 yards but he is in the elite level of WR's and that's what the market is set at for his services.

I think bone hit the nail on the head. If Bush can fill the needs at the position adequately there is no need to sign a player at the elite level at the position. That does not however mean that White isn't worth the money for a team that requires a better player in that role.

Right. I think that last part is important. Fit is important. Actual/expressed Value is largely dependent on what one is asked to do.

I think our FO probably also considers the idea of surplus value. They might think Bush's cost is low enough that he'd provide more value than that number. I.e, he's costing 2.5M while providing "3M" in value. Meanwhile, White might provide 8M of "actual value" while wanting to be paid upwards of 10M with multiple years of guarantees.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A big 'shout-out' to Memphis for all the post giving us the latest news. It is really appreciated to get this info as soon as it happens. We are knowledgeable because of his efforts. Many thanks, man....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
2 members like this: Ballpeen, PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Hmmmmmmm... A little surprised by this. An extension wouldn't have surprised me. A restructure seems a bit odd. Maybe it's the same thing.

Fiercely Independent.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by steve0255

Will be interesting to see how all the influences new and old come together in this season's offense. Watched some UConn after I saw the hire, and I can say I like the way Christian Haynes played on their OL.

Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Browns re-sign DT Maurice Hurst II

Hurst played in 13 games with the Browns during the 2023 season

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-re-sign-dt-maurice-hurst-ii

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
BREAKING NEWS!!! BROWNS HIRE MIKE VRABEL! - Quincy Carrier

In Quincy Carrier's latest podcast (link above), he pointed (about halfway into the podcast) out something interesting. Jerry Jeudy restructured his contract to free up 10 million dollars of cap space. He was at 13 million now down to 3. This is not a normal restructure similar to Watson or Garrett. This was negotiated. AB renegotiated his 5th-year option similar to Jed Wills.

What are AB and Browns cooking up?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Interesting Bugs, thanks for the info.

I’ll have to read up about it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: GMdawg
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

I heart David Njoku.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

With 5 different QBs, BTW.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: FATE
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If Lynch can still play at least decent he would be a good rotational guy for the D-line. I like the way AB is trying to acquire players that may be able to help us.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I like the way AB is trying to acquire players that may be able to help us.

I've really gained an appreciation of the way they plug the main holes in FA to give themselves flexibility with the draft and these types of signings.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
He hasn't played since 2020 and is 31. I wouldn't expect much even if he is signed.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
True he hasn't played in 3 years but that also means he hasn't taken the pounding that those 3 years would have brought. If he's signed it's a low risk and a possible good reward for us.

Legend
Legend
Lynch was decent in his 1st 2 seasons ..... and did very little in 5 additonal seasons after that.

Meh.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Did Mo Hurst just spill the beans, lol? It has been speculated the Browns would open up against the Eagle in Brazil.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober

I've really gained an appreciation of the way they plug the main holes in FA to give themselves flexibility with the draft and these types of signings.

It's the way it should be. It doesn't always work that way. If helps that we have an owner who is willing to work near the top of the salary cap. Some owners don't do that and assign their own salary cap. We also have some smart people in the FO who understand the salary cap.

You should go in to the draft being able to draft the best players you can, or address anticipated future needs. Berry and team seem to address next years needs. We don't need a guard now, but probably will next year. I expect to see a guard drafted. Maybe a tackle, or both positions. Get the guy in, work to get him ready to plug and play next season.

So when we see a headscratcher selection, just understand the guy was the highest rated guy on our board, and or he is a needs pick for next season. As Browns fans we have been conditioned to drafting guys for needs hoping for immediate impact. Those days are mostly done. The team isn't expecting a drafted rookie to have to step in and make immediate impact. It's great if they do, but the expectation is they are ready to do that in year two.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

The quick walkback! The Browns are definitely opening up the season in Brazil.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

The quick walkback! The Browns are definitely opening up the season in Brazil.

Peter King was interviewed a few weeks back regarding his logic on why Cleveland would be chosen over other Philadelphia opponents. It made a ton of sense. I may try to find the audio of that interview if it is available.

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

It's the way it should be. It doesn't always work that way. If helps that we have an owner who is willing to work near the top of the salary cap. Some owners don't do that and assign their own salary cap. We also have some smart people in the FO who understand the salary cap.
Peen...it wasn't that long ago I would comment about the Browns leading (or near the top) the NFL in cap space. I would point out that there is no trophy for being the team leads the NFL in cap space. The Browns did a 180 on their use of cap space...spending to acquire FA talent...worked out well last season.

Last edited by mac; 03/19/24 10:48 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

If true, I believe this aligns with Andrew Berry's comments from the NFL Combine.

A good sign, hopefully.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Peen...it wasn't that long ago I would comment about the Browns leading (or near the top) the NFL in cap space. I would point out that there is no trophy for being the team leads the NFL in cap space. The Browns did a 180 on their use of cap space...spending to acquire FA talent...worked out well last season.

When the window is open for the team to win teams need to maximize the cap space like the Browns are doing now. When the team is in rebuild mode and or in the building a team that is capable of winning mode it is a good idea to leave cap space available so when you believe you are close you can resign or nucleus to long term deals and sign key free agents or trade compensation like an Amari Cooper to hopefully put the team over the top.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...L703CVWlW6T528Z40F78Uvv-ueZQdgIZESth-nM8

Interesting conversation, particularly about the AFC North.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255
https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sp...L703CVWlW6T528Z40F78Uvv-ueZQdgIZESth-nM8

Interesting conversation, particularly about the AFC North.

For anyone that wants the TL;DR

Some guy named Robert Mays says Deshaun Watson will suck this year.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

If true, I believe this aligns with Andrew Berry's comments from the NFL Combine.

A good sign, hopefully.

How can this be correct? I just saw a FB site, Factory of Sadness, post an article claiming the Browns signed Huntley because DW was way behind regarding his rehab and won't be ready to go. At least that si what the "headline" implied.

Now my impression of the internet's accuracy is blown away. Do tell.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard