Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
Legend
Not to be overlooked in signing Huntley.

He will be an asset in preparation for the Ravens. He can run the Lamar offense in practice against our defense.

That would have to be a plus. In addition Huntley knows the North well if had to play against any of the teams.

Reviewing free agency. AB IMO wanted an overall upgrade in depth sprinkled in with some guys who were first round picks. Guys who might benefit from a change.

Jeudy, Bush, Winston were all first rounders. Hicks and Jefferson were solid players.

We did not chase the big ticket high priced guys. We spread the money around.

I think it will pay off because in the end you need all your guys to help in some way.

It has taken years to get to this place. You can only get here with continuity because it takes years to fit the vision of the staff. Who you draft. Who you sign. How you shape a team. Last season was proof of a team concept. We brought a lot guys back. The guys we added seem to fit into the playing personality that the staff wants to mold.

I like the direction. I agree with the coaching changes and bringing in Vrabel. I like the makeup of the staff. We have three guys who can be head coaches. They know each other and will be able to communicate at a high level. Dorsey brings experience with mobile qb's. Rees brings a new voice and ideas from progressive college offences. Bill Musgrave has a ton of experience as a OC and qb coach. Schwartz and Vrable have loads of experience and have worked well together.

I have no illusions about how hard it is to win in the NFL. But we look like a professional team of players and coaches.

The past was filled with years of looking lost and dysfunctional.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I love Huntley as the backup. I also love the fact, that over the past few years, he help Baltimore when Lamar was out. Now who they got? I think one of these guys will end up being traded or cut before the season

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As much as I like DTR I think Huntley could push him to the PS.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
How about theory 4?

We can never have enough QB's who know the system (as we saw last year.)

Theory 5

They don't want to overwork the other guys while learning a new system in camp.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
AB just got real serious about qb depth.

We just signed Tyler Huntley.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...ler-huntley-former-ravens-backup-qb.html

He’ll be our best backup.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/17/24 07:24 PM.
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
DTR to PS.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Not to be overlooked in signing Huntley.

He will be an asset in preparation for the Ravens. He can run the Lamar offense in practice against our defense.

That would have to be a plus. In addition Huntley knows the North well if had to play against any of the teams.

Reviewing free agency. AB IMO wanted an overall upgrade in depth sprinkled in with some guys who were first round picks. Guys who might benefit from a change.

Jeudy, Bush, Winston were all first rounders. Hicks and Jefferson were solid players.

We did not chase the big ticket high priced guys. We spread the money around.

I think it will pay off because in the end you need all your guys to help in some way.

It has taken years to get to this place. You can only get here with continuity because it takes years to fit the vision of the staff. Who you draft. Who you sign. How you shape a team. Last season was proof of a team concept. We brought a lot guys back. The guys we added seem to fit into the playing personality that the staff wants to mold.

I like the direction. I agree with the coaching changes and bringing in Vrabel. I like the makeup of the staff. We have three guys who can be head coaches. They know each other and will be able to communicate at a high level. Dorsey brings experience with mobile qb's. Rees brings a new voice and ideas from progressive college offences. Bill Musgrave has a ton of experience as a OC and qb coach. Schwartz and Vrable have loads of experience and have worked well together.

I have no illusions about how hard it is to win in the NFL. But we look like a professional team of players and coaches.

The past was filled with years of looking lost and dysfunctional.

Hell, Huntley is hands down our best QB not named DW. But looking at the stories about this signing, it seems he didn’t play as well against others as he did us. I think this kid is YOUNG Jacoby. He could even work out as a starter after DW, who knows. Damn good signing if you ask me.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/17/24 07:32 PM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Hopefully, you all won't get pissy (like last year) if we end up trading Huntley for 5th rounder.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Not really. I think that’s about what we could expect for all 4.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Huntley is a very legitimate backup. I recall at least 1 game where he Beat the browns and looked very good as a player.

I am surprised he got out of Baltimore. He seemed to be set there.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

R
Legend
Legend
R
This is head scratching.

Huntley is not good and is not the solution to any scenario other than a) they need a camp arm or b) Watson's injury is worse than feared.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Watson injury not progressing as expected was my initial reaction to the Huntley signing. I would think Huntley would have had better options than just to come in and compete for a roster a spot with the Browns. Also, Stefanski and Dorsey were just out in L.A. meeting with Watson just 10 days ago.

Watson's availability in upcoming offseason camps will be worth keeping an eye on.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I seem to recall some chatter about a few teams having interest in DTR. The Huntley signing might open the door for us to trade DTR. If other QBs get hurt in camp, or simply don't impress, DTR might become a trade target. Teams might not want to wait in hope he makes it through waivers.

I am in full favor of keeping 3 QB's on the active roster. I don't see keeping 4 on the roster. We can always pick up a 4th QB to place on the practice squad once camp cuts are complete.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Rishuz #2063048 03/18/24 06:44 AM
Legend
Legend
Huntley is more than a camp arm.

He has been in the league for four years with a good team.

He is 13-11 as a starter with a 64% comp rate.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My initial reaction is goodbye DTR. I guess we’ll see.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Rishuz #2063051 03/18/24 07:31 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by Rishuz
This is head scratching.

Huntley is not good and is not the solution to any scenario other than a) they need a camp arm or b) Watson's injury is worse than feared.

Or the Browns went into 2023 training camp with 4 QB's and are doing the same this year. Last YEAR was Deshaun Watson, Josh Dobbs, Kellen Mond, and DTR. Now this year Deshaun Watson, Jamies Winston, Tyler Huntley, and DTR. Looks similar to me just up graded the room from last year.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
1 member likes this: Steubenvillian
PitDAWG #2063052 03/18/24 07:49 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
backup QB's playing meaningful minutes means your season is over 99% of the time.

Which means you shouldn't try to have a qualified back up QB?

Last ear we saw a backup QB go 4-1.

I didn't say that.

Flacco going 4-1 from the couch to the field will never happen again. But, it was magical!

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
R
Legend
Legend
R

Have you watched him play? Put him on any team not named the Ravens and I’m pretty sure that record dramatically flips to lopsided in the loss column. It was also the only time we had any shot of beating the Ravens is when he started.

This has to be what DOFD is referring to.

Rishuz #2063057 03/18/24 08:29 AM
Legend
Legend
He is a back-up quarterback not a camp arm.You don't make a roster for four years as a camp arm.

He will be third string for us.

Not expecting miracles.

M
Legend
Legend
M
He is a back-up quarterback not a camp arm.You don't make a roster for four years as a camp arm.

He will be third string for us.

Not expecting miracles.

Again, the issue becomes the fact that the Browns have carried 2 QBs to start the season. Just my guess, but if they cut Huntley, he'd find a spot on another roster pretty easily...so why sign him if Winston will be the backup? Maybe to get some intel on Baltimore's offense and tendencies for as long as they can? I suppose that's possible.

The bigger question is whether DTR would make another roster or not, if cut. I'm pretty confident in saying Watson and Winston are the two that make the team if health isn't a concern for Watson. I think that seems pretty obvious. I suppose the bevy of injuries could pause the Browns on their normal routine of two QBs on the active roster, and Huntley and DTR don't seem to correlate to Mond as a prior post intended to compare as just a "camp arm".

It's just a curious situation, that's all.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Winston and Huntley have value.

We went through 3 qb's last season. It does not hurt having Huntley.

I could see AB flipping Huntley or DTR. Like we did with Dobbs.

We had Kellen Mond, Jeff Driskel, Dobbs, and PJ Walker going into last season.

Rishuz #2063064 03/18/24 09:04 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Have you watched him play? Put him on any team not named the Ravens and I’m pretty sure that record dramatically flips to lopsided in the loss column. It was also the only time we had any shot of beating the Ravens is when he started.

That is not correct the Browns beat the Ravens in Baltimore with Lamar Jackson at QB for the Ravens last year. It was a great game. Sorry you missed it.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Day of the Dawg

That is not correct the Browns beat the Ravens in Baltimore with Lamar Jackson at QB for the Ravens last year. It was a great game. Sorry you missed it.

Plus, didn't Huntley torch us the one year he started a bunch of games? The last I remember about Huntley was him stringing together a bunch of strong outings (year before last?).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c:

Hopefully, you all won't get pissy (like last year) if we end up trading Huntley for 5th rounder.

No, this year they would still have Winston on the roster if they traded Huntley away. The cupboard wouldn't be empty like last year. They would still have a pretty good backup in place. It amazes me that after having to pull Flacco off the couch last year in a hail Mary that luckily worked, people wouldn't admit that going into the season last year they had no legitimate backup and they learned from their mistake rather than blame the fans that knew they were making a mistake last season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
with the PS QB likely to be allowed to end up on the gameday roster I don't see how any team carries 3 QB's.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
PitDAWG #2063186 03/18/24 11:44 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c:

No, this year they would still have Winston on the roster if they traded Huntley away. The cupboard wouldn't be empty like last year. They would still have a pretty good backup in place. It amazes me that after having to pull Flacco off the couch last year in a hail Mary that luckily worked, people wouldn't admit that going into the season last year they had no legitimate backup and they learned from their mistake rather than blame the fans that knew they were making a mistake last season.

Depends.
Are we admitting this to the ones that were upset Brisett was starting over Dobbs the year before? tongue

I said it last year and same now, I am happy with the trade and what they received for Dobbs. Was it unconventional? Not really. Did it all work out? Yes. We had a good season and the extra 5th rounder made the Jeudy trade easier on us. However, yes I feel more comfortable having this set up on paper.

I liked Memphis post because if Watson is good to go, I expect we will try to trade him (like we did Dobbs).

P
Legend
Legend
P
Whether the Browns trade Huntley or Winston we still have a solid veteran in the backup QB position. Which brings me to the point I was making that you seem to agree with....

However, yes I feel more comfortable having this set up on paper.

All I really care about is having a legitimate veteran at the backup QB position and not go into the season unprepared for the possibility of injury to watson.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2063262 03/19/24 01:29 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yep, I am on the same page as you.

PitDAWG #2063291 03/19/24 03:59 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
All I really care about is having a legitimate veteran at the backup QB position and not go into the season unprepared for the possibility of injury to watson.

You say we need a veteran backup QB..WHY..?

Because that Browns bad luck might be a factor at the QB position..!

But I thought that the Browns didn't have an issue with their injury trend..?.. wink

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2063307 03/19/24 04:38 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
With DW's injury history I would keep both Winston and Huntley. I have a feeling we may need them. Why take a chance. Our roster is too good to not have capable back-ups at QB.

mac #2063331 03/19/24 05:18 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
The why is easy and of course I've already posted it. But since that didn't seem to work, let's try this....

NFL QB injuries: A look at all 16 starters who've been sidelined in 2023, with Justin Herbert now joining them

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...23-with-justin-herbert-now-joining-them/

That was as of Dec. 12th of 2023. Yes the Browns and 15 other teams seem to have an injury trend in the QB department. rolleyes

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2063347 03/19/24 06:53 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
While few want to admit that the Browns have injury issues, many seem to be very concerned about last years injury trend continuing.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #2063354 03/19/24 08:52 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac
While few want to admit that the Browns have injury issues, many seem to be very concerned about last years injury trend continuing.

No, we're just worried about the unpredictability of injuries and the importance of certain players/positions.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: bonefish
mac #2063462 03/20/24 01:00 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
What some don't buy into is your ability to deduct the hows and whys of the Browns injury issues Dr. mac. And as I've shown you, there were 16 NFL starting QB's that were injured in 2023. Not that I expected facts would matter to you.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2063474 03/20/24 02:16 PM
Legend
Legend
It's funny how if we don't stand in line to buy Mac's 1982 workout video, it equates to us denying the reality of injuries altogether.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #2063478 03/20/24 02:37 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah. Funny odd not funny ha ha. Well maybe both.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Jameis Winston talking about DW and his own role on the team.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns QB Room

Link Copied to Clipboard