Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
OSU DT

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Huge OSU fan but I'm very disappointed in this pick.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No issue with the pick. After the Browns defense got gashed by CJ Straud a pass rusher on the interior makes sense. The Browns play alot of good QB's and a rusher up the middle will be vital. Solid pick.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Think he's a good fit with Schwartz and is still an ascending player.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
seems like he's more quick and burst than power/stout

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Matt Fontana
@MattFontana83
·
48s
I think the massive run on DT in the 2nd might have played into the #Browns pick

There was going to be a big drop off by the time 85 got around while there’s a shot a WR or 2 worth it will be there

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Zac Jackson
@AkronJackson
Glenn Cook said the Browns spent 20 minutes fielding calls about possible trades before deciding on Hall.

"It really came down to the talent."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
seems like he's more quick and burst than power/stout

Correct. He's a liability against the run and for all his quickness he only managed 1.5 sacks and 2 tfls last year. He is strictly a situational pass rusher from the DT position.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
One of the youngest players in the draft

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agree, the KID is 20.....he is REALLY YOUNG and will add muscle to his frame. Go Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Zac Jackson
@AkronJackson
Glenn Cook said the Browns spent 20 minutes fielding calls about possible trades before deciding on Hall.

"It really came down to the talent."

I have a good 6-12 players ranked all about the same that I likes with this pick. I would have taken one of these tradedowns

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
How does OSU’s scheme compare to Schwartz’s? Was he asked to do much 2 gap in college or did he stick mostly with one gap, 3 tech to 5 tech roles?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I feel it’s a good solid pick. He has a lot of upside being only 20 and should get bigger physically.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
yeah, just from quick reading he's not going to be a 3 down player ... at least to start

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Wow the draft talk here is lacking drama snd debate
If Versatile Dawg and Eotab was around Eotab would be still
Griping over why the Browns don't have Jordan Davis to
Anchor a " championship defense " but then would
Tell us how Berry was a genius GM for drafting Michael Halll
And tell us Hall was going to be dominant and wreck havoc
Then VD would put him in his place
Hall was a reach at 54. Local kid who lived in my backyard
Really great character and super coach able
Good for him . But he has bring his A game every down

M
Legend
Legend
M

L
Legend
Legend
L
another meh pick but Berry likes the lighter more athletic DT's.. Harris/hurst are about 290, This guy could put 10 lbs on by season start with an NFL season.. not having a first makes all the ones we have alot more important. I think if this guys has a chance in the NFL it will be under schwartz and he's got some good vets on the line with him.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
You can't have too many pass rushers and corners!!

Put Hall next to Miles he will see single coverage all day long.

Legend
Legend
You pay scouts to do their job.

These types of picks are about development especially when the player is 20 years old.

Then it is about fit. He is a one gap three tech guy. That is something we do not have. He should develop very well in that role.

I hope fans bear in mind that players coming into the NFL are not finished products.

The negatives I have read are easily corrected with experience and normal growth from a 20 year old.

3 members like this: guard dawg, 3rd_and_20, Homewood Dog
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Everyone in the draft room was smiling.. grin

Getting Hall at #54 is exactly what the Browns needed out of this draft..hidden talent covered up by all the glamour picks. Hall is a local product from Streetsboro, OH. and he turns 21 in June ...more defense = more offensive opportunities.

The Zak Zinter pick..I like this pick too..we have to get him healed up and rehabbed but the Browns already have two 'mature',outstanding OGs which will give ZZ time to heal. Ironic note below.

In a weird twist of fate, Browns new guard Zak Zinter, their No. 85 pick in the third round out of Michigan, is now teammates with the guy who was shoved into his leg and inadvertently broke it last season in the Buckeyes game. Read more here.. link

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by leadtheway
another meh pick but Berry likes the lighter more athletic DT's.. Harris/hurst are about 290, This guy could put 10 lbs on by season start with an NFL season.. not having a first makes all the ones we have alot more important. I think if this guys has a chance in the NFL it will be under schwartz and he's got some good vets on the line with him.

...the guy that drafted Siaki Ika and paid Dalvin Tomlinson big money likes "lighter" DTs?

He likes DTs that can affect the passing game. Some guys do that by collapsing the pocket, some do it by penetrating. If they can play the run, too, that would be ideal, but there are different approaches to that as well. Berry seems to like to give himself options/different types, so that the team can potentially exploit matchups.

Aaron Donald was playing at 258 pounds in the Super Bowl in 2018. I don't think we necessarily want Hall to add weight. He may as his body matures, but I think we may want to keep him as explosive/"trim" as possible.

I do think Hall and Schwartz are a good fit. I think Hall has the talent to stick around in the NFL on any team. In this D, he has a shot to be really impactful.

Fiercely Independent.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The way AB is drafting is the right way given the talent we have on our team. We're adding talented players with upside that can learn from the vets and can rotate right now, especially Hall and potentially start in 2 or 3 years. This is what the Steelers did for years and always had a solid O-Line and D-Line. I hope AB can draft a few more guys like this today.

1 member likes this: mac
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

He doesn't just get pressure, he gets quick pressure. That can be important as teams try to go quick passing game against us to mitigate Myles.

Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think both Hall and Zinter can be starters in the next year or so. They have the tools. The only way they see any real playtime is if guys get hurt. If it goes as planned, Hall might get 90 snaps this year, Zinter half that, if that.

The rest of the draft is simply shots in the dark. I have always felt the 4th round was your last best round to get solid players. After that it's a crap shoot.

That isn't to say you can't get them. It just that it is more like 85% luck when you do.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know nothing about the kid but seeing his age and stats and the comments he seems like a 2-3yr projection. Lots of weight room fun times ahead. Not that Ohio State didn’t press him in the weight room but I’m betting it’ll go up a whole nutha level.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
Continuity at head coach and GM provides the stability to build a team to fit the schemes.

That is what we are seeing. That is why the team is improving.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You'd love to see more numbers on the stat sheet, but that can be tough at Ohio State. There are dudes at every position. Going back through games, he seemed to draw a lot of attention from opponents. It seemed he was the guy that multiple OL had their eyes on most plays. When he got a one on one, that play tended to get wrecked for the opponent. He didn't always get the finish, but he blew up a lot of play designs.

Love the fit.

The fact that he's only 20, but was knocking the Zak Zinters (Bigger-bodied 23 y/o) of the CFB world back consistently is pretty impressive.

Fiercely Independent.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
we've all been mindful of our soft interior DL (and last year it was improved with Tomlinson and Hurst), so I'm glad we've tried to address it

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm certainly in favor of this pick. As much as some were pimping the glamour position, even in today's game, games are won and lost in the trenches. Hall brings the heat for an interior lineman and as has been mentioned he is young. As he matures he will get bigger with more muscle mass. I was hoping for help on the interior of both the OL and DL. It looks like I got my wish.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Legend
Legend
I just wanted to add I appreciate all the comments as I don't follow college football much at all. Good readin'.

Legend
Legend
Great pick. Glad to see it. He can get some experience spelling our vets indoors, and learn his craft as well. Welcome aboard! Win us some games.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Seems like Berry feels he can wait for him to develop at 20 years of age because the current depth at DT. That's not to say he won't play at all, but he can afford to take someone with the talent and let him grow into a meaningful role......hopefully.

I also think this is another example where Berry prefers pass rushing ability to stopping the run along the entire defensive line.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

tongue

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
that makes me feel old haha

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
There were a few games where Hall was just unstoppable. He has great athletic ability. My personal opinion would be I would like to see more solid games. To cavaet that though: When it comes to teams like the Buckeyes, there is just so much talent on the D that it can be hard to stand out as an interior linemen. One other thing that also could attribute to that is he was battling injuries the past two years.

He did play well in big games.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Haha, you and me both brother.

At least we grew up to memories of good to great Browns teams. I can't imagine growing up to that crap of the early 2000s.

Last edited by ScottPlayersFacemask; 04/27/24 04:48 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I could care less what University a player went to, (save for smaller schools) but for the 7th DT off the board you can't really knock this selection.

[Linked Image]

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Can we have both Hall AND IKa as developing DTs? How many DTs can we keep on the 53? I would think Ika and Hurst are very much on the bubble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk 2024 NFL Draft 2nd Round Pick - DT Michael Hall

Link Copied to Clipboard