Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2067100 04/27/24 09:41 PM
jaybird Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Ok... had zero chance to watch the draft or really read much about it... not having a first round made it hard to get too excited...

so how'd we do? I've read who we drafted, but don't know anything about these guys except a bit about the Michigan kid... how do y'all think we did?

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #2067104 04/27/24 11:06 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hard to tell. Could be pretty good, but I'm not sure we'll find out for awhile. With the roster where it's at, it will be hard for rookies to force their way onto the field.

I think Mike Hall could be a homerun. Also, a non-zero chance he could peter out and get caught at the warning track. I do like the fit and the upside. He's good now as a 20 y/o, but has to turn the flashes into sustained success. I actually think he's fairly consistent when he's on the field, just needs to grow how much he can stay on the field. At the same time, he had a lot of DT talent around him at Ohio State and now again in the NFL. We could be rotating guys in and out pretty regularly. Sometimes his explosiveness may take him out of a play, but it sounds like that's how we want him to approach things. Cause as much havoc in the backfield as possible. He could definitely make an impact in obvious passing situations this season.

Zak Zinter will hopefully never have to play this season. If healthy, our IOL is great. Seems to have the right attitude, intangibles, and football intelligence. Can show power, but might struggle against speed and quickness a bit. It looks, to me, like we're going to go more gap scheme which should mitigate his limitations. I think Berry mentioned pass protection being his "superpower" in one of his pressers. We'll see. I did like how he seemed to always look for work.

Jamari Thrash could be the eventual Cooper replacement (he's not on his level now.) Similar athlete. Seems a good separator paired with both field/situational and body awareness. Need to dig into his hands more. Had some drops, but also played 4 games with a broken hand/wrist issue it appears. Played inside and outside.

Nathaniel "Bookie" Watson is a bigger, longer LB. Racked up a lot of tackles and sacks as a blitzer (Led the SEC in total tackles and sacks.) Low missed tackle percentage. Not the most dynamic in space (though not a bad athlete, more "middling"), but his wingspan lets him cover a pretty wide space. He's definitely not JOK as far as sideline to sideline range. Seems more of a bear hugging wrap tackler than a guy that always goes for the highlight. Will probably play SAM for us, though I'm not sure how much we'll use 3 LBs. Will probably see most of his snaps on special teams.

Myles Harden sounds a lot like Cam Mitchell. We'll see. Probably will be fighting for the last CB spot. Has some inside/outside versatility but probably best at nickel. Might need to show up on special teams to stick, though I'm not sure how STs will shake out with the kickoff change.

Jowon Briggs is probably a practice squad candidate. We are deep at DT now. Powerful wide body that lined up all across the line from nose to wide 9. Seems to have a good motor. Lacks length, though. Gets by more through hustle than natural talent. Honestly they might have brought him in to try to get his work ethic to rub off on Ika. High character, team captain type, but not really sure where he fits for us.

We've got a pretty good roster and weren't picking early. Could be good depth, but I'm not sure I see any huge contributions outside of Hall this season. I do see traits that could potentially be developed. Hopefully we have the staff in place to do that as we might not be picking in the top half of the early rounds for awhile.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
2 members like this: bbrowns32, Ballpeen
jaybird #2067105 04/28/24 01:00 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Watson payback is finally over. It was painful, and right now Houston is very satisfied….

I hate trading away #1s

I am ok with Juedy for the fourth and the dollars to extend.

We won’t know until camps. The UDFAs are just as important. My guess is that some will stick.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

jaybird #2067106 04/28/24 05:49 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I've paid less attention to this draft than any since the 1999 return.... I have to say it's refreshing and I kinda like not having a clue or an opinion.

Let's wait 3 years and then discuss rofl I'm only half kidding, I know how we like to project or speculate on how players will transition the NFl and to our team. Looking forward to camp and preseason to see what some of these guys can do.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
jaybird #2067107 04/28/24 06:53 AM
Legend
Legend
How did we do?

We do not know.

Draft "experts" look at physical dimensions and college production. What they cannot look at is how bad a player wants it.

College production is often misleading. In addition college players are 'Not" finished products. How they develop in the NFL is what is important.

In college the players play their schedule. What is in question is who did they play against? Not the teams. But what players did they go against?

When you watch the Senior Bowl practices you see more than what you see on their college tape "highlights." You see them against players that will make rosters in the NFL, and you see them one on one.

I don't follow college ball. But I love to watch Senior Bowl practices especially OL against DL four on four. These you guys are trying to impress the brass of the NFL against the best college players. Who stands out? I didn't even know who Aaron Donald was. But when I saw him one on one in those drills. I was saying "I take that guy right there." Nobody could block him.

https://www.buckeyesports.com/forme...ensive-lineman-at-senior-bowl-practices/

Impressive.

We will know more come September and then down the road.

Bull_Dawg #2067109 04/28/24 07:31 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Nice recap on the players.

I agree, after the first two picks, who knows? I am sure a few can make the team to replace bottom roster guys, but our roster is pretty good so even there it will be a fight. However, bottom roster players don't have a long shelf life. If after 2-3 season and they are still bottom roster guys, it's easy to just flush some of them out to bring in a few new prospects to see if they can ascend, so you never know.

One UDFA guy I like is the TE out of Wyoming. Our TE room isn't exactly stacked, so he has a good chance to make the team.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
jaybird #2067110 04/28/24 08:18 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Disappointed we didn’t draft a RB.

Other than that, who knows. For the third year in a row this season is about Watson. He plays good, the Browns will be good.

Coaching matters in the NFL. The Browns had a lot of changes on the coaching staff. Need to see that play out as well.

Rishuz #2067112 04/28/24 08:52 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree with the assessment that we really don't know how we did with the draft. Hall and Zinter should develop into solid starters for us. The other players have potential. Welch the TE from Wyoming looks like he could be a decent player so does Jamari Thrash. The WR Brown from South Carolina looks like a good prospect too. Time will tell.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I just read a short article on Yardbarker that had us listed as a day 3 loser. They said Houston really got the much better deal from the DW trade and added a lot of good players. Yesterday was the final part of the deal and the results would be felt for many seasons to come in Houston and Cleveland. They called the deal horrific for us.

jaybird #2067114 04/28/24 08:56 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We probably did what we could/had to do, but to me, it felt uninspired. Man, I'm regretting the DW trade more and more as I believe that with Brissette and 3 first round picks, we could be serious contenders for the Super Bowl....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
jaybird #2067115 04/28/24 09:00 AM
Legend
Legend
I know this will shock everybody lol but ask me in 3 years.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: bbrowns32
bbrowns32 #2067116 04/28/24 09:02 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
The jury is still out on the DW trade but I'm starting to feel the same way on the trade. Again, there are still 3 more years to go but right now it doesn't look too good. The trade really helped turn the Texans into a serious contender.

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
Legend
Legend
This is the definitive year. He has to play a full season.

He has played 12 games out of 34.

He has to play and play well.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
The jury is still out on the DW trade but I'm starting to feel the same way on the trade. Again, there are still 3 more years to go but right now it doesn't look too good. The trade really helped turn the Texans into a serious contender.

The Texans lucked out that the Panthers took Young over Stroud. They didn't get Stroud with a pick from us. He's the biggest reason they are a "contender."

Even with Will Anderson they didn't just use our pick, they had to use another also to trade up.

I like Tank Dell the player, but whether he can stay on the field at his size remains to be seen. 1 year, 1 season ending injury so far.

Outside of those two, the trade is pretty meh for them.

Hit on a QB, and your team gets a lot better. Hopefully Watson can rebound and be a hit for us. He plays well, and it quickly becomes a "good" trade.

Much like for draft classes, year 3 will tell us a lot.

Fiercely Independent.
jaybird #2067120 04/28/24 10:14 AM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
If Watson doesn't lead the Browns to a SB then the trade was
A failure. And the Texans are closer to a SB than the Browns .
The Texans hit a homerun with Stroud and Dell. Berry has yet
To a homerun in the his drafts

1 member likes this: Dawg Citizen
jaybird #2067123 04/28/24 10:30 AM
Legend
Legend
we went pretty basic with the draft ... no homers, but no strikeouts. OL/DL depth and future .. STs fill in guys

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
jaybird #2067125 04/28/24 10:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Nothing to write home about. But that’s when a true gem shows up. We’ll see.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Bull_Dawg #2067127 04/28/24 11:09 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Hopefully Watson can rebound and be a hit for us. He plays well, and it quickly becomes a "good" trade.

With the price that was paid for him I don't think a hit and playing well will quite be enough. I think it would take him being a home run and him playing at an elite level for him to end up being worth the price that was paid. And I'm not putting that on his shoulders. That's what the FO felt he was worth. This is the biggest decision they made in their professional life and everyone is waiting and watching what the results will be.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
jaybird #2067128 04/28/24 11:12 AM
Legend
Legend
yeah I agree Pit ... Watson (who probably already will never match what we gave up for him) has to be better than what we've seen.

He's been a colossal bust ... whether that's his own doing, bad luck, poor performance, etc ... just is what it is

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm certainly disappointed up to this point. However I expected his suspension in season one. If this FO didn't bake that part of it into the cake that would be very shortsighted of them. Nobody can predict an injury and a player certainly shouldn't have it held against them IMO. So I understand why his first two seasons here have ended up the way they have.

But that doesn't change the facts of the situation. 40% of that contract money has been paid out with very little return on investment. That's where things stand as of today. Hopefully that will all turn around and three years from now this topic will not be worthy of discussion.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Bull_Dawg #2067130 04/28/24 11:27 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Texans receive:

🏈2022 1st rd pick (became G Kenyon Green)
🏈2022 4th rd pick (RB Dameon Pierce)
🏈2023 1st rd pick (became DE Will Anderson Jr.)
🏈2023 3rd rd pick (became WR Tank Dell)
🏈2024 1st rd pick (traded back with MIN)
-2024 2nd rd pick (CB Kamari Lassiter)
-2024 6th rd pick (LB Jamal Hill)
🏈2024 4th rd pick (became S Caden Bullock)

Browns receive:

🏈QB Deshaun Watson
🏈2024 6th round pick (included in Jerry Jeudy trade)

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2067131 04/28/24 11:46 AM
Legend
Legend
I think Watson is very talented and I think (read: hope lol) he will turn things around. It's like you said though, 40% of the money gone, nothing in return.

I think to be worthy of the investment, we'll need a championship caliber season or three, be able to see enough of his talent on the field to extend him, realizing he keeps the window open longer, and fit so well that our offense becomes plug 'n play for the next few years. Less doesn't necessarily mean we busted on this investment, it just means that we didn't spend appropriately for what we got in return.

Elephant in the room for me: He's not physically engineered to be a mobile QB in this league. Everyone brushed off the rookie season torn ACL on the practice field. Big whatever because of the next three seasons of playing nearly every game. His career had been a highlight reel of elite athleticism in avoiding big hits. He's not that guy anymore imo.

He'll be 29 early this season. Everytime he takes any hit, there will be a collective groan and grimace reverberating from the sideline all through NE Ohio. He was injured last year on a designed run play near the goalline, instead of sliding for the first down, he tried to get into the endzone. Then a bad shoulder became "his shoulder fell apart". Not good.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: bonefish
jaybird #2067132 04/28/24 12:01 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
How did we do..?

IT'S WAY TOO SOON TO KNOW..!

Fans, for the most part, are extremely biased when judging their own players. I need to see them perform on the field and how they adjust to the NFL on and "off the field"!

I thought the draft room did a decent job of finding good talent in the later rounds, but as I've already pointed out...it's too soon to know for sure.

I'm not disappointed and if I were forced to sum up my feelings about the Browns 2024 draft in one word...I'm "hopeful".

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: GMdawg
Rishuz #2067147 04/28/24 03:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Other than that, who knows. For the third year in a row this season is about Watson. He plays good, the Browns will be good.

Coaching matters in the NFL. The Browns had a lot of changes on the coaching staff. Need to see that play out as well.

I'm also disappointed that we didn't draft a RB.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted by Rishuz

I'm also disappointed that we didn't draft a RB.

Update: I see we got an UDFA RB. Good!

jaybird #2067190 04/29/24 12:46 PM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Here is a grade from USA Today. Take it for what it is worth, but they had us ranked #32 for the weekend.

NFL draft grades: Bears, Steelers lead best team classes as Cowboys stumble
Nate Davis, USA TODAY
Updated Sun, April 28, 2024 at 8:12 AM EDT·20 min read

100 Yards with Tina Nguyen: Former Bear Jason McKie talks draft prospectsScroll back up to restore default view.

The 2024 NFL draft is complete – which naturally means it’s time to prematurely dissect, parse, overanalyze and, yes, grade it. That’s the world we live in, and that’s what you want even if it takes about three seasons to really get a fair read on any team’s rookie crop. (Just think back to the top-heavy quarterback draft of 2021, four of those five Round 1 passers already on different teams – and who expected that at the time?)

No matter, fearlessly forge ahead we will, though one note about the methodology: As I grade each team, the goal is to pull back for a big-picture look at its performance holistically rather than judging from a narrow perspective that doesn't include trades and other considerations that more accurately frame the decisions.

With that in mind, here are your ridiculously hasty 2024 NFL draft grades, with team classes ranked from best to worst:

1. Chicago Bears (A+)

Duh. They got this draft’s best player, USC QB Caleb Williams, off the top and – perhaps – its next best in Washington WR Rome Odunze at No. 9. Kudos to GM Ryan Poles for the forward-looking trade of the No. 1 pick last year to Carolina, a deal that ultimately netted the franchise-shifting selection of Williams – opportunity being the convergence of luck and preparation and all that. There’s more. Last season’s trade deadline move for DE Montez Sweat for a second-rounder was the right call, expensive as it was. Round 5 pass rusher Austin Booker from Kansas has a chance to really shine on an already fortified defense. Even impressive Iowa P Tory Taylor is a weapon – and one getting some early ribbing from Williams.

As Poles said, “It’s gonna be really hard to make this team." And that was before the draft. Salute.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (A+)
After HC Mike Tomlin and GM Omar Khan upgraded their quarterback options via Groupon during free agency, the team proceeded to conduct what looks like a monster rookie haul. Top picks Troy Fautanu (Round 1, Washington) and Zach Frazier (Round 2, West Virginia) – along with 2023 first-rounder Broderick Jones – should immediately remediate an offensive line that will be expected to refuel the run game new OC Arthur Smith will doubtless lean on. “We just want to roll people,” Tomlin said Saturday on NFL Network.

Third-round WR Roman Wilson (Michigan) is a home run hitter who could immediately compete for the starting job opposite George Pickens. But the lottery pick could be Round 3 LB Payton Wilson (North Carolina State), who has first-round talent if a 12th-round medical history. But he could be a dynamically impactful X-factor next to free agent addition Patrick Queen.

3. Philadelphia Eagles (A)
They got, arguably, the draft’s best defensive back (Toledo first-rounder Quinyon Mitchell). They got, arguably, the draft’s most athletic and versatile defensive back (Iowa second-rounder Cooper DeJean). Third-rounder pass rusher Jalyx Hunt is an intriguing project, and fourth-round Clemson RB Will Shipley could maximize the plays Saquon Barkley takes off. Michigan G Trevor Keegan and Florida State WR Johnny Wilson are high-ceiling Day 3 picks, and fifth-round Clemson LB Jeremiah Trotter Jr. puts the cherry on top with the sentimental homecoming factor … at a position that’s seemingly been unsettled since dad left.

4. Los Angeles Chargers (A)
Maybe it was a microcosm of the new identity they want to forge, but HC Jim Harbaugh and GM Joe Hortiz didn’t get cute in their first draft – steadily plucking quality players who addressed their needs (and/or philosophy) in a windfall that should have this relative rebuild or retool well ahead of schedule. First-round OT Joe Alt (Notre Dame), second-round WR Ladd McConkey (Georgia), third-round LB Junior Colson (Michigan) and fourth-round DL Justin Eboigbe (Alabama) could all be opening day starters, Alt’s prodigious talent clearly trumping the fact he exclusively played left tackle for the Irish and will now have to adjust to the right side opposite established Pro Bowler Rashawn Slater. Seventh-round WRs Brenden Rice (USC) – Jerry's son – and Cornelius Johnson (Michigan) could push to play quickly given the state of the depth chart at that position. Who had it better than the Bolts? (Almost) nobody.

5. New York Giants (A)
The Daniel Jones haters may not be mollified, but given the team was wed to him contractually this season anyway, GM Joe Schoen and HC Brian Daboll went about the draft the right way. First-round WR Malik Nabers (LSU) should be a field-flipping asset to Jones and/or whomever eventually replaces him. Third-round Kentucky CB Dru Phillips will compete against anybody. Some second-round maneuvering over the past few months netted highly regarded Minnesota S Tyler Nubin and former Panthers pass rusher Brian Burns, who's already signed an extension and now bookends Kayvon Thibodeaux. Solid-plus.

6. Washington Commanders (A-)
No. 2 overall pick Jayden Daniels (LSU) could be their galvanizing, long-sought franchise quarterback after the previous regime spent years kicking that can down the road. Second-round DT Johnny Newton (Illinois) and DB Mike Sainristil (Michigan) could be foundational players for the incoming staff … though Newton’s arrival seems to signal Jonathan Allen or Daron Payne could be a short-timer. And it’s worth wondering if the former decision-makers did the current ones a disservice by dealing Sweat as pass rush is still an issue here. Third-round WR Luke McCaffrey certainly has the bloodlines – and maybe the talent to be an impact target for Daniels from the slot.

7. Los Angeles Rams (A-)
They drafted in Round 1 for the first time in eight years, which kicked off a run that seemed to bring four immediate contributors in the first three rounds: Edge rusher Jared Verse (Round 1), DT Braden Fiske (Round 2) – the former Florida State teammates thrilled to transfer once again and reunite ahead of their collective task to replace retired DL Aaron Donald – before Michigan RB Blake Corum and Miami (Fla.) S Kamren Kinchens landed in Round 3. The loss of Donald is massive figuratively and literally, but it feels like a team that’s turned over so extensively since its Super Bowl 56 triumph remains firmly on the upswing.

8. Indianapolis Colts (A-)
They might have gotten the draft’s best defender, UCLA pass rusher Laiatu Latu at No. 15 before getting a Round 1-caliber wideout in Adonai Mitchell at No. 52 – and he arrives carrying an ax to grind with the rest of the league. Mid-round O-line upgrades (Pitt’s Matt Goncalves and Wisconsin’s Tanor Bortolini) are rarely a bad idea, though a corner in one of those spots might have made more sense.

9. Minnesota Vikings (A-)
After losing QB Kirk Cousins in free agency, they went on the offensive and obtained a second first-round choice from Houston last month – a move presumed to necessitate a subsequent climb up the board. But GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah played his cards right and got to select twice in Round 1 – coming away with highly regarded but highly divisive Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy and highly regarded (period) Alabama pass rusher Dallas Turner. The third-round spot was cashed in two years ago as part of a trade deadline deal for Pro Bowl TE T.J. Hockenson. The kicking game should be boosted by sixth-rounder Will Reichard of the Crimson Tide.

10. Green Bay Packers (B+)
Maybe not supremely sexy – again, no Round 1 wideout – but just another solid job by GM Brian Gutekunst. First-round OT Jordan Morgan (Arizona), second-round LB Edgerrin Cooper (Texas A&M), second-round S Javon Bullard (Georgia) and third-round RB MarShawn Lloyd (USC) should all be cheaper, more effective upgrades for David Bakhtiari, De’Vondre Campbell, Darnell Savage and AJ Dillon, respectively, Dillon the only who returns (and probably only for 2024). However nitpickers will note none but Morgan play a premium position. Still, last year’s trade of QB Aaron Rodgers helped to enable this talent intake for a team that’s looking increasingly bulletproof around second-year starting QB Jordan Love.

11. Houston Texans (B+)
It’s a really difficult draft to parse in a big-picture way. They used their first-rounder in a deal to get DE Will Anderson Jr. last year, and he wound up as the league’s Defensive Rookie of the Year. They sent their final first-rounder from Cleveland in the Deshaun Watson offload to Minnesota for, in part, two second-rounders – one of those already used to obtain WR Stefon Diggs from Buffalo, who’s now on a one-year deal. From a draft acquisition perspective, GM Nick Caserio continued resourcing a 23rd-ranked pass defense with second-round CB Kamari Lassiter (Georgia) and third-round DB Calen Bullock (USC) – though questions linger regarding whether either is up to the job. Round 2 OT Blake Fisher (Notre Dame) could push to play on the right side by Week 1, but C.J. Stroud insurance is a good idea in any case.

12. Seattle Seahawks (B)
Potential thievery with Texas DT Byron Murphy II, likely a linchpin of new HC Mike Macdonald’s defense going forward, coming with the 16th pick. Third-round G Christian Haynes (Connecticut) addresses a desperate need on the other line. And good thing veteran DL Leonard Williams, acquired for this year’s second-rounder at the 2023 trade deadline, decided to stick around and re-sign.

13. Baltimore Ravens (B)
When you’re drafting at the end of every round, maybe you reach just a little in spots. Yet it seems like they did a good job – per usual – marrying value, talent and need. First-round CB Nate Wiggins (Clemson) is a supreme athlete, and his tackling will improve – because the Ravens will demand that. Second-rounder Roger Rosengarten (Washington) should be the new right tackle, while third round OLB Adisa Isaac (Penn State) could be a factor on passing downs straight away. And the value picks kicked in on Day 3 with deep threat WR Devontez Walker (North Carolina) and CB T.J. Tampa (Iowa State), who could give Wiggins a battle to get on the field first.

14. Detroit Lions (B)
They’ve now tripled down an 27th-ranked pass defense, drafting CBs Terrion Arnold (Round 1) and Ennis Rakestraw (Round 2) – they join trade arrival Carlton Davis III – as this team continues to load up for the ever-elusive Super Bowl run. Alabama’s charismatic Arnold, in particular, should be a great culture fit and beloved figure in Motown based on his reception from the locals Thursday night.

15. New York Jets (B)
For a team with a win-now mandate, might it have made more sense to take Georgia TE Brock Bowers at No. 11 and add to the offensive line depth – given its eminent availability in this draft – later? TBD. But coming away with Penn State All-American LT Olu Fashanu in the first round and Western Kentucky WR Malachi Corley in the third could also be a winning combo given the latter’s ability to make an immediate splash as a pure playmaker between WRs Garrett Wilson and Mike Williams. Fourth-round RB Braelon Allen (Wisconsin) and fifth-round QB Jordan Travis (Florida State) and CB Qwan'tez Stiggers (Toronto Argonauts) are the kind of mid-rounders who have the talent to pay off very handsomely. Though the (tarnished) silver lining of Rodgers’ Achilles injury last season was the Jets’ retention of their 2024 first-round pick, this season will decidedly determine if he was worth what they surrendered, including this year’s Round 2 slot. And give Douglas credit as the Fashanu pick and deal to get a third-rounder in 2025 are the moves of a GM operating as if he’ll be on the job a year from now … though unloading DL John Franklin-Myers to Denver for a 2026 sixth-rounder was baffling.

16. Kansas City Chiefs (B)
Perhaps the anti-Jets, taking the superfluous receiver (Texas blazer Xavier Worthy) in Round 1 before the offensive lineman (BYU OT Kingsley Suamataia) they arguably should have prioritized in Round 2? And, again, maybe the league’s new dynasty shouldn’t be questioned – Worthy’s 4.21 speed added to free agent signing Hollywood Brown, and what they could mean to an offense triggered by three-time Super Bowl MVP Patrick Mahomes … assuming the three-time Super Bowl MVP remains upright behind whoever’s guarding his blind side.

17. San Francisco 49ers (B)
First-round Florida WR Ricky Pearsall and second-round Florida State CB Renardo Green have the ability to contribute heavily to another Super Bowl push while also being foundational pieces beyond 2024 – especially if Pearsall has to eventually replace former Arizona State teammate Brandon Aiyuk's production. Third-round OL Dominick Puni (Kansas) might also crack the rotation this season but many of the players might struggle to make this roster – one reason the Niners spun two of their 10 picks into future drafts.

18. Cincinnati Bengals (B)
Felt like your typically solid, if often unspectacular, Cincy draft – first-round OT Amarius Mims (Georgia), second-round DT Kris Jenkins (Michigan) and third-round WR Jermaine Burton (Alabama) all virtually certain to be starters … no later than 2025. No panic here at all despite those trade demands by DE Trey Hendrickson and WR Tee Higgins.

19. Buffalo Bills (B)
A team with a clear receiver need following the trade of Diggs and departure of Gabe Davis took some heat Thursday for dropping out of Round 1 rather than aggressively targeting a replacement. Yet in a deep wideout draft, GM Brandon Beane did just fine, getting Florida State’s Keon Coleman, arguably a first-round talent, at the top of Round 2 – and even if he isn’t a blazer, he’s fast enough, catches contested balls and will provide QB Josh Allen with a big target. Win, especially with a bonus of additional picks for a team that was depleted by salary-cap reckoning. Second-round S Cole Bishop is unlikely to make anyone forget Jordan Poyer or Micah Hyde. Third-round DT DeWayne Carter should have an impact on the pass rush and could quickly emerge as a new defensive leader. And while signing undrafted free agent RB Frank Gore Jr. will garner headlines, fourth-rounder Ray Davis (Kentucky) could be the one who makes hay while easing the load on James Cook.

20. Arizona Cardinals (B-)
They didn’t overthink it off the top, staying put at No. 4 for Ohio State WR stud Marvin Harrison Jr. before getting Mizzou DL Darius Robinson at the bottom of Round 1. Second-round CB Max Melton also has huge upside at a position that was bereft of talent. But it didn’t feel like the Cards got quite enough despite having seven of the top 90 picks? Admittedly, third-round RB Trey Benson could pay off if incumbent starter James Conner gets banged up again … or gets too expensive. Third-round TE Tip Reiman of Illinois felt like a luxury ... and a cruel decision given he doesn't believe in birds but has to play for the Cards and constantly face the Seahawks.

21. New England Patriots (B-)
Though it must have been tempting to sell the No. 3 pick for the draft assets a fallen dynasty clearly needs, new director of scouting Eliot Wolf was probably wise to stay in the fairway and take North Carolina QB Drake Maye … and hope it all goes much better than the Mac Jones experience. And it should given the support the new regime should provide, not to mention the Jacoby Brissett Band-Aid option. An offense awash in WR2s took another in Washington WR2 Ja’Lynn Polk, Odunze’s understudy … though fourth-round WR Javon Baker of Central Florida could be a steal here. And the team is apparently hoping third-round OT Caedan Wallace, a right tackle exclusively at Penn State, can man the left side in front of Maye. Hmmm. Sixth-round QB Joe Milton III's arm will outshine Maye's, and his is no noodle.

22. Miami Dolphins (B-)
Taking Penn State pass rusher Chop Robinson in the first round was probably a good call given the injuries to veteran OLB Bradley Chubb (ACL) and Jaelan Phillips (Achilles) and fact a surplus of edge players is never a bad thing. Choosing OT Patrick Paul in Round 2 was a defensible hedge given the appearance that LT Terron Armstead seems to be coming to the end of the line – though Miami seems to remain quite vulnerable up the middle. Mid-round RB Jaylen Wright (Tennessee) and OLB Mohamed Kamara (Colorado State) could add bonus juice. Miami's third-rounder was forfeited due to owner Stephen Ross’ tampering violation, and the fourth-rounder was used in the acquisition of Chubb two years ago.

23. Las Vegas Raiders (B-)
A team that openly coveted a quarterback – or, at least, new HC Antonio Pierce did – had been frozen out of the market entirely by the time the 13th pick rolled around Thursday. Maybe they miscalculated, maybe first-year GM Tom Telesco played it conservatively as he tended to do with the Chargers. Regardless, the Silver and Black regrouped to get Bowers in Round 1 and Oregon OL Jackson Powers-Johnson in Round 2, both plug-and-play starters and likely impact players.

24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (B-)
Like the Ravens, they keep winning … so they keep drafting late. But first-round OL Graham Barton (Duke) and second-round OLB Chris Braswell (Alabama) arrived at the intersection of need and value. Round 3 Washington WR Jalen McMillan could be the relative sleeper who delivers nicely.

25. Carolina Panthers (C)
One wants to like rookie GM Dan Morgan’s first draft despite the boom-or-bust element of it. But it was imperative to give second-year QB Bryce Young more weapons, and first-round WR Xavier Legette (South Carolina), despite his lack of production prior to 2023, and second-round RB Jonathon Brooks (Texas), despite his November ACL tear, should be. Eventually. Another Longhorn, fourth-round TE Ja’Tavion Sanders, should contribute immediately, though we'll see if third-round LB Trevin Wallace (Kentucky) is up to the task. The trade of Burns, basically for a second-rounder, still doesn’t sit right.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars (C)
Trading down in Round 1, for a pair of mid-round picks next year, and still getting LSU WR Brian Thomas Jr. is solid use of the board. Trading a Day 2 pick for WR Calvin Ridley, getting too cute in a bid to re-sign him, then having to take Thomas to replace him … not such good use. Third-round CB Jarrian Jones could be a heist, and it’s probably a win if one of the LSU DTs, Maason Smith (Round 2) and Jordan Jefferson (Round 4), hits.

27. New Orleans Saints (C)
First-round OT Taliese Fuaga (Oregon State) and second-round CB Kool-Aid McKinstry (Alabama) are good players at positions of need. Previous trades stripped the Saints of third- and fourth-rounders. And while a Round 5 spot spent on South Carolina QB Spencer Rattler isn’t hugely expensive, the team already had five quarterbacks on the roster if you also include Taysom Hill. Maybe Rattler’s a lottery ticket … and maybe a squad that seems to be falling behind in the NFC South should have prioritized other aspects of its depth chart.

28. Denver Broncos (C-)
The sins of the trade for former QB Russell Wilson have not only retarded this roster’s development but moving on from them boxed the Broncos in, at least partially, to taking Oregon QB Bo Nix at No. 12 – even if that’s tantamount to an overdraft. Giving Nix WR Troy Franklin, a Ducks teammate, in Round 4 could prove an efficient stroke. A fifth-rounder isn’t a huge investment in Notre Dame RB Audric Estimé, a highly productive player for the Irish … but how many ball carriers with 4.7 speed turn into reliable pros? No second-rounder as part of the price of prying HC Sean Payton from the Saints, something he’s presumably got plenty of time to justify.

29. Atlanta Falcons (D)
Atlanta Falcons first round draft pick quarterback Michael Penix Jr talks to the media at a press conference introducing him at the Falcons training complex.
Atlanta Falcons first round draft pick quarterback Michael Penix Jr talks to the media at a press conference introducing him at the Falcons training complex.
They did the expected by reinforcing the defense with a highly talented but not all that productive front seven player (Ruke Orhorhoro, Round 2) – when they could have had Newton – and a highly productive but not physically remarkable front seven player (Bralen Trice, Round 3). But, naturally, their draft will forever be regarded and defined by the shocking decision to select Washington QB Michael Penix Jr. with the No. 8 selection.

There’s no legit argument against opting for quality depth under center given the annual league-wide attrition at the position – Cousins a prime example of the issue in 2023. But this is a highly suspect way to resource it after signing him to a four-year, $180 million deal last month, when he said he looked forward to retiring in Atlanta. And that also cuts to the handling of the matter – if the Falcons’ brain trust knew they wanted Penix, there was little chance they wouldn’t get him at No. 8 … which suggests the right thing to do would have been to share the plan with Cousins much earlier than when the team went on the clock Thursday. Maybe this team has set up a seamless succession plan between an established passer and a highly compelling prospect. And maybe the well has been poisoned, and a team that should have been totally focused on loading up around Cousins made a royal miscalculation.

30. Tennessee Titans (D)
Not their fault that the Chargers took Alt two spots ahead of them, but could they have moved back and added assets rather than sticking and picking Alabama OT JC Latham? The risk is magnified by the decision to move him to second-year QB Will Levis' blind side – Latham played exclusively on the right side in Tuscaloosa – though if anyone is going to make it work, it's legendary O-line coach Bill Callahan. Second-round DT T’Vondre Sweat could be a reach personally and professionally – very possibly a limited two-down player who can’t get onto the field to affect games late.

31. Dallas Cowboys (D)
An organization that’s allegedly “all in” uses its first-rounder on a tackle (Oklahoma’s Tyler Guyton) with tremendous upside but who may or may not be ready to play immediately. And while Dallas needed help in the trenches (second-round DE Marshawn Kneeland, third-round G Cooper Beebe) and potentially filled a hole with third-round Notre Dame LB Marist Liufau, what’s the plan at tailback? Run it back with Ezekiel Elliott? All … in?

32. Cleveland Browns (D)
View the deal however you choose, but they’ve finally paid off their Watson debt ... though its aftermath continues to loom over the franchise from football, financial and fan-relation vantage points. The top picks they made – second-round DT Michael Hall Jr. (Ohio State) and third-round G Zak Zinter (Michigan) – don’t seem ready to contribute meaningfully in 2024, Zinter recovering from a major leg injury and parked behind established Pro Bowl guards (Joel Bitonio, Wyatt Teller) anyway.

jaybird #2067195 04/29/24 01:56 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah the draft was underwhelming for me.. Not having a first hurts the overall impact of the draft, but we def. had the worst haul in the AFCN and thats going to be a problem.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Bull_Dawg #2067202 04/29/24 02:35 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Be happy to play you
First year
Jordan Davis dt
Ojabo
Next year trade 1st overall plus other picks Anderson
Mayfield saves us 30 million on the salary cap plus he throws for 4400 yards
We may have gone to the Super Bowl with that defense

Furthermore we could have gotten marquis brown a legit 4.27 wide receiver

Or Brian burns
I understand your loyalty having watched the browns sense Jerry Sheri.dick Ambrose,Greg Pruitt.and Leroy
Kelley but this is the worst trade in Browns history.

Legend
Legend
Honestly, I would not care if they graded the Browns "F".

However, I do think you just grade the picks this year.

bonefish #2067210 04/29/24 03:35 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah I always thought those articles were stupid. How accurate do they end up being, anyhow? We'll know the grade after a couple years.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
I just don’t understand how the Watson trade continues to “loom” over the Browns.

The Browns have one of the most stacked rosters in the league, just made the playoffs for the second time in four years, and just swept the awards ceremony. We have a stable FO and coaching situation and have no issues attracting talent.

The Browns are fine and have a full complimentary of picks again starting next year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Yeah I always thought those articles were stupid. How accurate do they end up being, anyhow? We'll know the grade after a couple years.

Yeah, some people graded Patrick Mahomes a C- pick.

Time will tell.

Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
32. Cleveland Browns (D)
View the deal however you choose, but they’ve finally paid off their Watson debt ... though its aftermath continues to loom over the franchise from football, financial and fan-relation vantage points. The top picks they made – second-round DT Michael Hall Jr. (Ohio State) and third-round G Zak Zinter (Michigan) – don’t seem ready to contribute meaningfully in 2024, Zinter recovering from a major leg injury and parked behind established Pro Bowl guards (Joel Bitonio, Wyatt Teller) anyway.

USA Today sure didn't do the Browns any favors by ranking the Browns #32 out of 32 teams ... did they?

Given the circumstances, the Browns with no first round pick and no 4th round pick...the Browns looked beyond their needs for 2024 and targeted needs a year or two beyond 2024..! So, 'USA Today' will be forced to postpone their final 2024 draft grade for the Browns for a year or two.

Hopefully, someone who actually gives a damn about how the USA Today graded the Browns 2024 draft selections will care about their opinion of the Browns 2024 draft grade.

I like what the Browns did with their 2024 opportunities and I can wait for the "final grade"..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
jaybird #2067225 04/29/24 05:08 PM
Legend
Legend
We didn't really have "needs", so, we took the best available that fits our team/schemes. I think that's fine. People spent the weekend talking about "Steeler" type players. Well, we have types too ..... so these are the kind we should bring in. I am satisfied with our draft, if not head over heels estatic.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
jaybird #2067228 04/29/24 05:14 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think this draft was all about depth.. if one of them turns into a starter down the road, great. But we needed depth on the lines and we got some now. Like i said it was meh, nothing flashy but a healthy watson and the rest of the team coming back healthy including chubb, we didn't need to do anything but replace the bottom of the roster and get a bit of depth at high turnover positions

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
bonefish #2067231 04/29/24 06:20 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
Honestly, I would not care if they graded the Browns "F".

However, I do think you just grade the picks this year.

This. If you're giving my team a D because of picks they didn't even make -- talk to the hand.

Another site graded by the day and averaged the grades. So what do we get for day one?? A "n/a", right? Nope, a D. Wouldn't it just be an F then?? 🤣 Stooopid.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
We didn't really have "needs", so, we took the best available that fits our team/schemes.

I used to dream of the Browns getting to that point!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Rishuz #2067237 04/29/24 06:43 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree Rish. I have said that so far the trade hasn't been that good for us. However, I have also stated that we have 3 more years to see how it works out, more time than we've already had. Our roster is very good, we are well coached, have a good FO and we can play with anyone IMO. If we get good QB play, like we saw with Joe Flacco, from DW we can contend for the SB. DW needs to stay well and start playing well this season. No more excuses!

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 04/29/24 06:45 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
We didn't really have "needs", so, we took the best available that fits our team/schemes.

thumbsup I used to dream of the Browns getting to that point!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #2067240 04/29/24 06:56 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We are at that point! There is as much talent on this Browns team as any I've seen since the late 60's and we did it without 1st round draft picks the last 3 years. Let's see some other organizations do that. We must have someone making good personnel decisions. The only other team I can think of the is 49er's with the Trey Lance trade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk 2024 NFL Draft How'd we do?

Link Copied to Clipboard