Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
Why not just take your L?

Even B-Rabbit from 8 mile knew when an L was an L...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It's odd how you've shifted to what attorney's think of the overall case and moved away from the statute of limitations part. Well it's not really odd. That's a battle you lost so it was time you shifted away from it.

You're trying to make a point that I never argued from the beginning. I think it's a case that most likely should never have been brought in the first place. And if so I'm not sure they can prove the felony part of it. I guess we'll see how that plays out. But then that has nothing to do with your statute of limitations argument now does it?

Dear Lord. If I took you seriously you would be exhausting.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I will attempt to make myself more clear.

Do you believe that the State of New York given all the circumstances would put a former president on trial for a felony without firmly believing that they had sufficient evidence to prove his guilt?

I have no legal background and have never played an attorney on TV.

Legend
Legend
Every. single. quote. mentioned the statute. Again, I know they can't match vague language from Dupée & Monroe in Goshen. And you're the one that latched on to the statute and wouldn't breath a word about any other part of my post. Business as usual.

Now you're going to pivot to there shouldn't be a case in the first place?

We'll just call that a circuitous route to progress. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by bonefish
I will attempt to make myself more clear.

Do you believe that the State of New York given all the circumstances would put a former president on trial for a felony without firmly believing that they had sufficient evidence to prove his guilt?

I have no legal background and have never played an attorney on TV.

Well, that's a lot better than acting like anyone that questions it is stupid and doesn't understand law and order.

As far as your question... NO WAY!

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
Again, I know they can't match vague language from Dupée & Monroe in Goshen.

There was nothing vague about anything in either one of my two sources in terms of the law on the statute of limitations in New York. Not in what the law stated nor the wording of it.

You're the one who not only stressed the statute part, you put in in bold.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
This guy is your latest source?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It's not "a source". He made a statement.

If Mickey Mouse says a vaccine doesn't prevent COVID, it doesn't matter that Mickey Mouse said it, dig?

Go ahead and tell me which part is untrue or you're just moving goalposts...

A democrat judge,
with a daughter working for democrats,
a trial in a deeply democrat city,
within a democrat state,
brought by a democrat prosecutor,
with an assistant prosecutor on loan from a democrat president’s DOJ,
in a state with a democrat AG who ran on prosecuting Trump,
and with a jury pool selected from majority democrats?

I'll wait. NO STRAWMEN.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
You don't need any of us to explain it to you.

Nobody can explain common sense to anyone. It’s acquired by living life above ground.

I agree, but she asked to be told so I tried.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
"Alvin, I have Pit@Dawgtalkers on the line, he says you're going about this all the wrong way".

"Pit@Dawgtalkers? Daaayummm"
(runs to phone)

You always say crap like this when you are called out.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot
"Alvin, I have Pit@Dawgtalkers on the line, he says you're going about this all the wrong way".

"Pit@Dawgtalkers? Daaayummm"
(runs to phone)

You always say crap like this when you are called out.

Thanks for noticing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Jester
Yes Eve - They do need to prove that, though from what I have heard from multiple sources, he was aware and they have proven that
Though admittedly I am not following close enough to know the details.

While driving today, I heard a legal expert talking aboout the case (For those who this might make a difference for, I listen to POTUS radio on sirius/xm), and he said prosecution still need to prove trump knew about the "cooking the books" (my words).

My interpretation is that I have heard things about that and it proved it to me but as of yet has not been presented in court.
Just presenting this info for balance of what may have been a statement I made that was not completely accurate

So when most company checks are written there is an attachment for accounting purposes, in duplex typically. The stub would reference the internal account that the check was logged against. Typically the recipient sees one stub, and the other is retained by accounting.

Here is another quandary that has not been explained.

I noticed that the checks were drawn against an account that was labeled Donald J. Trump. That seems curious, it would be more typical to have the account associated with the corporate entity. So I would call it highly unusual to see a corporate account with the name of an individual on it. So if it was a corporate account, then they had checks printed for Donald J. Trump. So someone is going to have to explain why a corporate account had an individual name on it. That could be positive or negative. In terms of knowledge. It that was Donalds personal corporate checkbook, then he was in direct control.

[Linked Image from media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com]

[img]https://i0.wp.com/smdp.com/wp-conte...tters.jpg?w=742&quality=89&ssl=1[/img]

Last edited by WooferDawg; 05/03/24 06:39 PM.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good info Woofer. I have never worked in the corporate world.
You learned me somethin'

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Good reply, thanks! I kind of feel like they are wasting time with this. But whatever.

That’s because you’re voting for him.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Good reply, thanks! I kind of feel like they are wasting time with this. But whatever.

Because this trial is dragging on and they havent produced any evidence of wrong doing.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by dawglover05

Because this trial is dragging on and they havent produced any evidence of wrong doing.

2 weeks in? You get a Snicker bar, I’ll get the popcorn. The trial is expected to go for 6 weeks.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
Dan bongoboy doesn’t get that Dems are citizens too… the MAGA right wing is straight trash.

But I would like one of those MUGA hats.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/04/24 09:58 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Thanks for noticing.

Like the totally bias, one sided source you used a Twitter post from? You do understand that when you post something you're using that as a point of reference.

A democrat judge,
with a daughter working for democrats,
a trial in a deeply democrat city,
within a democrat state,
brought by a democrat prosecutor,
with an assistant prosecutor on loan from a democrat president’s DOJ,
in a state with a democrat AG who ran on prosecuting Trump,
and with a jury pool selected from majority democrats?

Maybe if you don't wish to put your FATE in the hands of a bunch of democrats you shouldn't be committing criminal activity in a Democratic stronghold and then try to blame everyone else because you were a moron for doing it.

The out-of-town provision is one of several legal maneuvers authorities could consider, as they look to build a case and make charging decisions that would allow them to look beyond the traditional five-year statute of limitations for many New York felonies.

“There are numerous procedural tools in the proverbial woodshed that prosecutors could wield when enforcing the law. Depending on the circumstances, merely because your conduct appears to be outside what is otherwise a strict five-year statute of limitations does not mean you’ll get a pass,” said Jeremy Saland, a former assistant district attorney in Manhattan.

The provision at issue says, “In calculating the time limitation applicable to commencement of a criminal action, the following periods shall not be included: (a) Any period following the commission of the offense during which (i) the defendant was continuously outside this state.”

The law caps the extension at five years.

During Trump’s four years in Washington, he spent very little time at his home in New York, choosing instead to take breaks in Florida at Mar-a-Lago or his golf course in Bedminster, New Jersey. After leaving office he relocated to Florida and this week made his first visit to his New York home and office.

If prosecutors invoke that section of the law, it means they could argue that the time Trump has been out of New York, would not count in the calculation of the statute of limitations.

For example, if prosecutors found evidence of wrongdoing in 2015, the typical statute would expire in 2020. But under this tolling provision, the clock could stop for the periods of time Trump was out of New York during the five-year period, effectively allowing them to consider earlier conduct.
How provision was used with Weinstein

The district attorney’s office invoked the out-of-state tolling extension in its criminal case against Weinstein. Prosecutors charged Weinstein with multiple crimes, including rape in the third degree for an alleged assault that occurred in March 2013. Weinstein was charged in May 2018, two months after the five-year statute of limitations on that offense would have expired.

Weinstein challenged the charge, arguing it fell outside the statute of limitations and as a resident of New York state the extension wouldn’t apply to him.

Prosecutors used records from “United States Customs and Border Control” to show that Weinstein had been out of New York for 193 days during that five-year period– more than the 68 days needed to capture the earlier conduct.

The judge rejected Weinstein’s argument and allowed the charge to stand. Weinstein was convicted on charges of sexual assault and is serving a 23-year sentence.

“I’m not sure in this case that they would need to go to those lengths but it’s another mechanism they might be able to avail themselves of,” said Peter Katz, a former assistant district attorney in Manhattan. “They will try to use the laws to the fullest extent.”

Multiple legal experts tell CNN that prosecutors could extend the statute by pursuing conspiracy charges, which would allow them to charge older conduct that falls outside the statute of limitations if they can prove it was part of an ongoing conspiracy.

Another statute available is the state equivalent of a racketeering charge, which is known as enterprise corruption. Under that theory, prosecutors could include older conduct if they can prove a long pattern of illegal conduct committed as part of a criminal enterprise.

Saland, the former prosecutor, added, “Prosecutors would be doing themselves a disservice by making a case more difficult than it need be. Giving Trump a soapbox to challenge an exception to the statute of limitations would allow him to sow confusion.”

Instead, he says, if prosecutors simplify the case and focused on false filings, assuming they were made, “then the former President could very likely find himself the recipient of both a felony record and Scarlett Letter for defrauding the people of the State of New York.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/12/politics/trump-statute-of-limitations/index.html

You do realize that Matthew Colangelo worked for the state of New York BEFORE he worked at the DOJ, right? And that he was no longer working for the DOJ when he went back to work for the state of New York. It looks a lot more like the DOJ borrowed him from the state of New Yotk than the other way around. But you keep posting those Jim Jordan approved bullet points.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

This trial was expected to last between four to six weeks before it ever started. So if you consider it going as expected "dragging on" then you would be correct.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Tarasoff testifies 'only Mr. Trump' could sign checks from his personal bank account, regardless of amount

Deborah Tarasoff, an accounts payable supervisor in the accounting department of the Trump Organization, testified that after 2015, any invoice above $10,000 had to be approved by Trump or one of his sons Don Jr. or Eric Trump. This is notable because each reimbursement payment made to Michael Cohen was for $35,000 or more.

According to CNN, Tarasoff would receive an approved invoice, put it in the system and would cut a check. For anything coming from Trump's personal account, Trump would sign the check himself, regardless of the amount, Tarasoff testified.

"If he didn't want to sign it, he didn't sign it," Tarasoff said, according to CNN, adding that he would write "VOID" on the check and send it back if it wasn't approved.

When asked how she knew it was Trump who signed it, she said it was because he used a black Sharpie marker.

This matters because the prosecution needs to prove that Trump knew about the hush money payments made to adult film star Stormy Daniels, who alleged she had an affair with Trump.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/tru...-trail-in-hush-money-case-131357772.html

Legend
Legend
The thing I want to see is Trump testify. I wanna see him up on the stand. He has said he's innocent. He has called this a Witch Hunt. OK Don, get up there and be your best salesman., show the jury that you are innocent...

I don't expect that to happen. He is not that dumb. Or his lawyers aren't.

He beats his chest, acting as if he's Godzilla. He's not! I'd still like to see it. For him, it's all BLUSTER.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
There's no way. His attorneys would withdraw first before allowing him on the stand. That's not even a knock on him, either. It could be almost anyone and I would rather withdraw than have to deal with my client taking the stand, against my own advice.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For us lay people, what does it mean for a lawyer to withdraw?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Trump is above the law- any other client would be in slammer for defying the judge----Republicans- Fox News= trial mostly theater- paying off sex workers and falsifying business records/ normal, everyone does it- no substance at all--- if you click your boots for the leader.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Not sure what instance you are referring to but when one lawyer objects to a question the opposing lawyer can withdraw the question.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
I just saw Trump’s golden YELLOW hideous tie, and couldn’t help but think it was his back stipe being worn as a tie.

Legend
Legend
He thinks he’s Midas. But the opposite applies here. Everything he touches turns to [censored]. Like Murica.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 05/07/24 10:33 AM.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well with a nickname like “VonSchitzinpants”, we should expect that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks PS

IT wasn't a specific instance I was referring to. It was the comment by Dawglover05 in the post right above mine that I meant to reply to rather that the original post by Pit

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
For us lay people, what does it mean for a lawyer to withdraw?

Quit, basically.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Thanks PS

IT wasn't a specific instance I was referring to. It was the comment by Dawglover05 in the post right above mine that I meant to reply to rather that the original post by Pit

Gotcha.

It’s hard to believe that trump’s ego won’t demand a performance on the stand. Especially if things are looking bad for him. And they are already in week 3.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
As of now I don't see it as looking that bad for him. Maybe 05 could give a better take on it than I can. Showing he paid the money to Daniels really has nothing to do with what he's being accused of as I understand it. What my understanding is that what needs to be proven is that he did it to hide that fact from the voters. As to not damage his election. That's going to be a little tougher to prove.

I've seen former prosecutors explain that what these prosecutors are trying to do is paint the entire picture. From the beginning to the end. And that would seem to makes sense. That seems to be the route they're taking. First showing that it was trump who made the payments. That he knew Cohen made the payment and that the payment was on trump's behalf. That not only did trump know it, but he repaid that money to Cohen. So far I think they've pretty well established that.

But what I think the case hinges on is that his motivation was related to the election. There has also been testimony that he had all newspapers, at least the Washington Post from being delivered to the White House so Melania wouldn't see the story. So proving his motive was election related verses not wanting his wife to find out may be a little tougher for the prosecution. But if painting the picture is what their goal is, they are getting close to the point they'll need to prove that motive.

We'll see.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah we’ll see. I disagree though. It’s not looking good for him. Claiming he never had the affair to begin with, makes him the liar here. The prosecutor is hitting on all cylinders.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
How have they proven he had sex with her? She says they did and he says they didn't. The claim is even though he didn't have sex with her the story would still have been damaging so they paid her for her silence. Even though I'm not crazy about how the following sounds I believe it's true. What you seem to be saying is that a jury of 12 people will take the word of a porn star over the word of a former president and I don't believe it's quite that cut and dry. Believe me I think trump is guilty as sin but that's not the point here.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
How have they proven he had sex with her? She says they did and he says they didn't. The claim is even though he didn't have sex with her the story would still have been damaging so they paid her for her silence. Even though I'm not crazy about how the following sounds I believe it's true. What you seem to be saying is that a jury of 12 people will take the word of a porn star over the word of a former president and I don't believe it's quite that cut and dry. Believe me I think trump is guilty as sin but that's not the point here.

Pit,
Whether or not they had sex does not mean much to this case;
However, Stormy is on the stand under oath saying they did and trump is at a rally saying he doesn't know these women.
Let him put his hand on a bible and say it

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
That sounds great in theory but no defendant has to take the stand and usually only very desperate ones do. When it comes down to it, the only time a lie is a crime is if you lie under oath. And I don't see trump's attorneys taking that risk. I know I wouldn't if I were them. See what I'm trying to do here is take my feelings out of it. A jury can only weigh the evidence that's been presented to them. And there's no way trump can be forced to testify under oath in this trial.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Trump attorney: "We move for a mistrial based on the testimony of this witness"

"We move for a mistrial based on the testimony of this witness," said Trump attorney Todd Blanche says following this morning's testimony from Stormy Daniels.

He says the court set "guardrails" and her testimony went over them.

"A lot of the testimony that this witness talked about today is way different than the story she was peddling in 2016," Blanche says.

------------------------------------------

Blanche says there's no way to properly remedy testimony Daniels gave jury in the morning

In his argument for a mistrial, Todd Blanche says the defense attorneys can't think of a way to properly remedy the testimony Stormy Daniels gave to the jury this morning.

"A lot of the testimony this witness talked about today is way different than the story she was peddling in 2016," he says.

Blanche is raising parts of her testimony including that she said she "blacked out," didn't wear a condom when one was required by her employer, the bodyguard outside, their height difference, and the power dynamic.

-------------------------------------

"How can you unring the bell?" Blanche alleges Daniels is telling a different story

Toddy Blanche says Stormy Daniels is telling a different story.

"She talked about a consensual encounter with President Trump that she was trying to sell. ... and that's not the story she told today," the attorney says.

He says that the judge was aware there would be an issue establishing "guardrails" for the testimony.

"But now we’ve heard it. And it is an issue. How can you unring the bell?" Blanche says.

-------------------------------------

Prosecution argues Daniels' testimony is "highly probative" of Trump's intent for payment

Prosecutor Susan Hoffinger said Stormy Daniels' testimony is "highly probative of defendant’s intent" and Trump's "motive for paying this off."

"This is not new. This is not a new account," Hoffinger said.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-hush-money-trial-05-07-24/index.html

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
As of now I don't see it as looking that bad for him. Maybe 05 could give a better take on it than I can. Showing he paid the money to Daniels really has nothing to do with what he's being accused of as I understand it. What my understanding is that what needs to be proven is that he did it to hide that fact from the voters. As to not damage his election. That's going to be a little tougher to prove.

I've seen former prosecutors explain that what these prosecutors are trying to do is paint the entire picture. From the beginning to the end. And that would seem to makes sense. That seems to be the route they're taking. First showing that it was trump who made the payments. That he knew Cohen made the payment and that the payment was on trump's behalf. That not only did trump know it, but he repaid that money to Cohen. So far I think they've pretty well established that.

But what I think the case hinges on is that his motivation was related to the election. There has also been testimony that he had all newspapers, at least the Washington Post from being delivered to the White House so Melania wouldn't see the story. So proving his motive was election related verses not wanting his wife to find out may be a little tougher for the prosecution. But if painting the picture is what their goal is, they are getting close to the point they'll need to prove that motive.

We'll see.

Without having seen the trial firsthand, I think that's a fair assessment. Add in that the threshold is beyond a reasonable doubt, and I think it could get hard to prove on that front. It's one of those where we definitely know he did bad things, and that he definitely did it to hide it from the public, but the standard of proof is the real crux of where it all lies.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Thanks 05. I'm not an attorney and I don't even play one on TV. I've just been listening to a lot of what I consider to be non bias former prosecutors and defense attorneys. I always appreciate you adding your expertise on such things.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: dawglover05
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No problem! I have definitely veered into desk jockying by doing acquisition and contracts now with the DoD, but it's nice to try and keep up with my courtroom days. I do miss certain aspects about that life, although there are other aspects I'm glad to have left behind.

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump hush Money Trial Set to start On April 15th.

Link Copied to Clipboard