Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Hopefully globally some day we will manage all resources on this planet properly.

All other forms of life on this planet live, die, and return to the earth. It is only humans that have polluted what was once a paradise.

Everything we needed was here from food to medicine. Resources so no human would go hungry. All the energy we could need without pollution if we can learn to harness it.

We have created wonders but have been irresponsible in doing so because of greed.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You know, when the white man came to America he called the natives savages. If only they could have learned how to treat the earth from those they called savages.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It is easy for me to get philosophical about the evolution of man. It was my major in college and even now I keep up.

I believe in science and what man is capable of. However, we have a dark side and it is driven by our pursuit of power and material wealth. We are a complex species capable of wonders, beauty, and compassion. But we are also capable of extreme brutality directed at each other.

When I have gone to places where no human has tread like Alaska. I am blown away by the raw beauty of what is on this planet. At the same time I am aware of mining companies (Pebble Mine) willing and able to destroy the land and water that is crucial for the survival of the people who live there. Kill off salmon runs that are at the top of the food chain that all life in the area depend upon permanently.

I have signed petitions and donated time and money to stop it from being reality for over twenty years.

https://www.nrdc.org/bio/joel-reynolds/president-biden-celebrates-pebble-veto-mine-will-not-be-built

I am filled with gratitude, relief, and joy that the people fought and won. Thankful that president Biden got this accomplished.

Last edited by bonefish; 05/04/24 01:11 PM.
2 members like this: BuckDawg1946, PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
‘Like wildfires underwater’: Worst summer on record for Great Barrier Reef as coral die-off sweeps planet.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/04/aust...ildfires-climate-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

trump climate change is a hoax. drill baby drill

Legend
Legend
There. Now climate change is Biden's fault. That was easy.

Biden isn’t advertising America’s record oil boom

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
It's wet too.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You folks really need to make up your minds. Is he preventing America from drilling for oil or isn't he? It seems the message changes like the wind. You know, on any given day.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is easy also:

Tongass National Forest
Further information: Tongass National Forest

Misty Fjords Waterfall
In August 2019, Trump had instructed Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue to exempt Alaska's Tongass National Forest from logging restrictions established nearly 20 years ago during the Clinton administration. The move opens it to potential logging and energy and mining projects. Tongass is the world's largest intact temperate rainforest, containing old-growth cedar, hemlock and spruce, fjords and rivers with salmon runs. It serves as an enormous natural carbon sink, holding an estimated 8% of all carbon stored in U.S. national forests. Unlike most other national forests, most of the forest is in a natural condition. The Forest Service had finalized a plan to phase out old-growth logging in 2016 and Congress had designated more than 5.7 million acres of the forest as wilderness, not to be developed under any circumstances. Should Trump's plan be successful, it could affect 9.5 million acres.[141] On September 25, 2020, the Trump administration submitted a revised environmental impact study which recommended a "full exemption" for the Tongass, opening the forest to more development and logging. Responding, Andy Moderow of the Alaska Wilderness League said that Tongass plays an important role in helping to combat climate change noting that it "stores more than 400 million metric tons of CO2 and sequesters an additional 3 million metric tons annually, equivalent to taking nearly 650,000 cars off the road each year."[142]

In November 2021, the Biden administration announced they would start to reinstate the Roadless Rule, protecting about 9 million acres of Tongass National Forest. In a statement Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said, "'Restoring the Tongas'’ roadless protections supports the advancement of economic, ecologic and cultural sustainability in Southeast Alaska in a manner that is guided by local voces".[143]

Proposed Alaska gold and copper mine
In July 2020, Trump reversed the Obama administration's decision against a proposed Alaska gold and copper mining operation, Pebble Mine in Bristol Bay. The Obama administration had found that a mine would permanently harm the region's sockeye salmon fisheries. The Trump administration's reversal was, according to The Washington Post, typical of the administration's "whiplash" decisions which have "methodically dismantled many of his predecessor's actions on climate change, conservation and pollution." The Army Corps of Engineers denied the Pebble Mine permit on November 25, 2020.[144] The proposal had been opposed by 80 percent of Bristol Bay residents.[145]

Legend
Legend
Here how about this. dump's plan to destroy the EPA (The Environmental Protection Agency).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/09/trump-epa-plan-environment

Legend
Legend
Like most millionaires, Trump doesn’t care about what he leaves behind. Only what he has now.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
Only trump is a baby boomer.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm convinced now -- global warming is Trump's fault.

Legend
Legend
That is a BS response.

No he is not. It is a global issue but he is not helping.

His environmental policies for the people of this country and the environment we all share are disastrous.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm just wondering if you actually expected a serious response that would address the issue from him?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I am an independent. Israel has a right to retaliate against Hamas. They do not have the right to punish the entire Palestinian population.

However, although I do not agree with all democratic policies the alternative with trump is catastrophic on all levels.

He is a wannabe dictator who wants full control and he has made that clear. He wants to retaliate against any political opponent.
He wants to fill all government positions with loyalists.

He would roll back any environmental democratic policies for spite. All politicians are temporary. The earth we leave behind us is permanent.

Globally what we do now affects future generations. Our responsibility is to pass on a legacy to protect the planet we all share.

Those who want to reduce this to democrats versus republicans are narrow minded.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I can't say I disagree with you. But as we can see some people don't wish to carry on an actual conversation on the topic and I think you should learn to expect that. No matter how serious the topic is, no matter the future consequences are, they just brush it off, ignore it and make fun of it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Lol. You want me to respond to that?? ^ Trump's a dictator and would ruin the environment out of spite? You two are hopeless. rofl

I should "have an actual conversation" about Trump ruining the planet.

What if... you guys discussed anything, and I mean ANYTHING, without blaming Trump? You know you are the sector of America that will be responsible for his re-election, right? rofl

Legend
Legend
His record speaks for itself. You don't need to add a thing.

https://earthjustice.org/press/2020/trump-worst-president-for-environment-in-history

The worst record on the environment and public health in our history. Speaks volumes.

Last edited by bonefish; 05/06/24 06:39 AM.
Legend
Legend
It is sad that trump is made of glass and you cannot see through him.

His record and his actions are crystal clear. His environmental policies are public record and still you refuse to look.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by FATE
Lol. You want me to respond to that?? ^ Trump's a dictator and would ruin the environment out of spite? You two are hopeless. rofl

I should "have an actual conversation" about Trump ruining the planet.

What if... you guys discussed anything, and I mean ANYTHING, without blaming Trump? You know you are the sector of America that will be responsible for his re-election, right? rofl

No the morons that won’t listen to reason and truth will be the ones responsible to his re-election.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
If you do not look how do you expect to see?

All the evidence in the world will not convince stupidity.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Where did I blame trump? He, like many others have helped add to the problem. But the problem was here before trump. And as much as Biden has tried to help it will still be here after he's gone. The issue is why is there an actual fight about it? Why is it political and why aren't we as humans which are all dependent on this planet to survive not all on the same page about it?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Where did I blame trump? He, like many others have helped add to the problem. But the problem was here before trump. And as much as Biden has tried to help it will still be here after he's gone. The issue is why is there an actual fight about it? Why is it political and why aren't we as humans which are all dependent on this planet to survive not all on the same page about it?

No, you just instigate with smart ass comments, because I won't agree with someone calling people stupid because they don't believe Trump is responsible for a warming ocean. CANNOT make it up lol.

This place runs a lot better when you guys sit around like monkeys patting each other on the back. I'm pretty much done. No matter the subject or how reasonable the argument, it's playground b.s.

You've all successfully made Trump a martyr, and I'm too blind to see. rofl

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I do think this issue, like Anti-Semitism, shouldn't come down to politics, or left vs right or who did what. I know that I'm as "far left as they come" - whatever that means - but I do miss the days when politics didn't touch everything. Now it's seeped its way into beer, books, sports, education, amusement parks, etc. I think we've reached the point collectively where the house is on fire and we're trying to figure out who is responsible for it more than trying to put out the fire.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thanks for addressing the threat to humanity as we know it exactly as I thought you would. With a big nothing burger attack on liberals. Well done.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Wrong again. You should know more than anyone that Its his ass wipe supporters that perpetrate the lies about the causes of global warming trying to make it a myth and all.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I do not think his public record is at all humorous.

I do not believe anyone said he is responsible for global warming or oceans being abnormally warm.

All you need to do is look at his public record, policies, and stated plans.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You're not allowed to do that. Everyone knows that naming a former oil executive to head the EPA has nothing to do with the environment and such influences have nothing to do with environmental policies.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O

No it’s not. That blame falls on ALL GOPers. Get your facts straight.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Posted by FATE…

You've all successfully made Trump a martyr,

For the likes of you. BTW, When did he die?

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 05/07/24 11:03 AM.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
More and faster: Electricity from clean sources reaches 30% of global total

Billions of people are using different kinds of energy each day and 2023 was a record-breaking year for renewable energy sources — ones that don’t emit planet-warming pollutants like carbon dioxide and methane — according to a report published Wednesday by Ember, a think tank based in London.

For the first time, 30% of electricity produced worldwide was from clean energy sources as the number of solar and wind farms continued to grow fast.

Of the types of clean energy generated last year, hydroelectric dams produced the most. That’s the same as in most years. Yet droughts in India, China, North America and Mexico meant hydropower hit a five-year low. Research shows climate change is causing droughts to develop more quickly and be more severe.

People used more electricity than ever last year, about 2% more, an increase of about as much as Canada uses in a year. Some of this new demand was for heat pumps, which are an efficient way to both heat and cool buildings, and for electric vehicles. It was also for electrolyzers, special machines used to get hydrogen out of water, for energy. These are all technologies that provide solutions to climate change.

Other increased demand was for electricity to feed new data centers and for air conditioning as places around the world become hotter.

Solar made up the biggest share of new clean energy last year. More than twice as much solar power was added as coal power. It was the 19th year in a row that solar was the fastest-growing source of electricity generation. A surge in solar installations happened at the end of the year and the report predicts 2024 will see an even larger jump.

China added far more clean power than other countries in 2023

China accounted for 51% of new solar power and 60% of new wind power globally

China added more renewable energy than any other country last year — 51% of the new solar power and 60% of the new wind power globally. China, the European Union, the United States and Brazil together accounted for 81% of new solar generation in 2023.

Yet China was also responsible for 55% of coal generation globally and 60% of China’s electricity generation came from coal. The International Energy Agency says coal is the most carbon-intensive of the fossil fuels.

Scientists say emissions from burning fuels like coal must ramp steeply down to protect Earth’s climate, yet there was an increase in electricity made from burning fossil fuels. China, India, Vietnam and Mexico were responsible for nearly all of the rise.

The report said some countries burned coal to make up for the loss of hydroelectric power they experienced when drought caused their reservoirs to dry up. This is an example of a vicious cycle — when climate change prompts the use of more of the substances that cause climate change in the first place.

Despite all the growth in clean energy, fossil fuels still made up the majority of global electricity generated last year, causing a 1% rise in global power sector emissions. Scientists say even if we slashed all greenhouse gas emissions today, the planet would continue to warm for years because of the amount of pollutants already added to the atmosphere.

2024 projection: clean fuels up, fossil fuels down

Analysts expect the world to use even more electricity in 2024. But renewable energy generation is forecast to grow even faster. That could mean a 2% drop (333 terawatt-hours) in energy generated from fossil fuels.

https://apnews.com/article/renewabl...l-fuels-2718fce0ed37232dc25dbf46fff87955

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: bonefish
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Trump Reportedly Asks Fossil Fuel CEOs For $1 Billion
Igor Bobic, Chris D'Angelo
Thu, May 9, 2024 at 12:07 PM EDT·4 min read

Former President Donald Trump is more than happy to fulfill the oil and gas industry’s wish list if he’s reelected — but he has an asking price.

Trump reportedly solicited top oil and gas executives to give $1 billion for his campaign to return to the White House, vowing in return to undo many of President Joe Biden’s green energy policies if he is elected in November.

Trump hosted the country’s top fossil fuel CEOs at his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida last month when he “stunned” executives with the ask, according to The Washington Post. The $1 billion sum would ultimately be a “deal” for the fossil fuel industry, Trump reportedly told the executives, because of the money they would save with him in office. An anonymous industry source told the Post that Trump is likely to get some funds.

The oil and fossil fuel industry has long made its alliances with the Republican Party, which generally supports and promotes fossil fuels. Ahead of the 2024 election, the industry has been drawing up “ready-to-sign” executive orders for Trump if he wins the presidency, aimed at expanding natural gas exports and increasing offshore oil leases, Politico reported this week.

A second Trump term would mean a sharp departure from Biden’s agenda of clean energy, electric vehicles and historic efforts to fight climate change. The former president has falsely called global warming a “hoax” and has vowed to unravel Biden’s landmark climate programs included in the Inflation Reduction Act.

Republicans have spent the entirety of Biden’s term condemning what they describe as the administration’s “war” on energy, even though U.S. oil production and exports of natural gas have never been higher. They accuse Biden of being beholden to “radical environmentalists” — an ironic talking point given Trump and the GOP’s unflinching loyalty to the fossil fuel industry.

In Congress, Republicans have tried to undo many of the Biden administration’s recent environmental rules, including those regulating tailpipe emissions and heavy-duty trucks. Last week, House Republicans passed a package of bills that, among other things, would reverse Biden’s actions to limit drilling across millions of acres in Alaska and to better protect public lands by putting conservation and ecosystem restoration on equal footing with drilling, mining and other extractive uses.

The Biden administration is racing to finalize as many regulations as possible before Republicans would have an opportunity under Trump to roll them back via the Congressional Review Act, which gives Congress a few months’ time to rescind new rules implemented by the White House. If Trump becomes president, however, he could still undo them unilaterally.

Trump appears to be laying the groundwork to quickly implement many of the policy priorities of Project 2025, the sweeping blueprint that right-wing organizations have compiled to guide Trump if he is reelected in November. Certain sections of that pro-Trump memorandum are little more than an oil industry wish list. As HuffPost previously reported, the energy section of the chapter for the Interior Department was authored by Kathleen Sgamma, the president of the Western Energy Alliance, a prominent oil and gas trade association.

Trump’s quid pro quo with the industry comes as the world’s coral reefs are in the midst of a global bleaching event — only the fourth such event on record. Hundreds of climate scientists told The Guardian this week that global temperatures are on track to soar well beyond 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial levels, the aspirational goal of the landmark Paris climate accords.

For years, scientists have warned about the disastrous consequences of failing to keep temperatures under the 1.5-degree mark, from rising seas and increasingly extreme weather to famines and severe social and economic disruptions. The fossil fuel industry is most responsible for the crisis and has spent decades denying and downplaying the threat, with the help of industry-allied Republicans.

Democrats criticized Trump for cozying up to fossil fuel executives, warning that it would further erode American democracy.

“Big Oil CEOs will happily use the billions they’ve made selling dirty expensive energy to further warp American democracy, if it means they can keep wrecking the planet for free,” Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) wrote in a post on X, formerly Twitter, on Thursday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-reportedly-asks-fossil-fuel-160715735.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
US Republican attorneys general sue to stop EPA's carbon rule
Clark Mindock
Updated Thu, May 9, 2024 at 2:29 PM EDT·3 min read

FILE PHOTO: The Robert W Scherer Power Plant, operated by Georgia Power in Juliette
FILE PHOTO: Signage is seen at the headquarters of the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in Washington, D.C.
1 / 2
US Republican attorneys general sue to stop EPA's carbon rule
FILE PHOTO: The Robert W Scherer Power Plant, operated by Georgia Power in Juliette
By Clark Mindock

(Reuters) - Republican attorneys general from 27 U.S. states and an electric utility trade group sued the Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday, seeking to block a landmark rule requiring sweeping reductions in carbon emissions from existing coal-fired power plants and new natural gas plants.

The rule, finalized by President Joe Biden's administration last month as part of an effort to combat climate change, was challenged in three lawsuits filed in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, including one by 25 states spearheaded by West Virginia and Indiana, another by Ohio and Kansas and a third by the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association.

The rule mandates that many new gas and existing coal plants reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 90% by 2032. The requirements are expected to force the U.S. power industry to install billions of dollars' worth of emissions control technologies or shut down the dirtiest facilities running on coal.

The regulations are part of Biden’s broader climate agenda and target a sector that is responsible for nearly a quarter of the country's greenhouse gas pollution.

The EPA declined to comment.

West Virginia Attorney General Patrick Morrisey said in a statement that the regulations are based on emissions reduction technologies that have not been meaningfully deployed in the real world, exceed the EPA's authority under the Clean Air Act, and would radically transform the nation’s energy grid without explicit congressional permission to do so.

He said the rule "is setting up the plants to fail and therefore shutter, altering the nation’s already stretched grid."

National Rural Electric Cooperative Association CEO Jim Matheson, whose organization represents nearly 900 local electric cooperatives, said in a statement that the rule "is unlawful, unreasonable and unachievable."

The lawsuit came a day after 23 Republican attorneys general from states including West Virginia, North Dakota and Texas challenged a different EPA rule that limits the amount of mercury and other hazardous pollutants that can be emitted from power plants.

Legal experts say the EPA's assertion that the emissions reductions are feasible if power plants install carbon capture and sequestration (CCS) technologies - which capture emissions before they are released into the atmosphere - is likely to be a major issue in the litigation.

The Clean Air Act requires the EPA to set standards that are attainable using technologies that are “adequately demonstrated.” But while the EPA said it believes CCS is viable and cost-effective, opponents say the technology is not ready to be deployed at power plants across the country.

CCS has been installed at dozens of facilities that process various fuels, but just four coal-fired power globally have CCS installed, according to the Global CCS Institute.

“They’ve taken a pretty aggressive view of what it means to have something be adequately demonstrated, and I just think the Supreme Court will look at this and say EPA is out over its skis,” said Jeff Holmstead, a lawyer at the law firm Bracewell and a former EPA official during the administration of Republican former President George W. Bush.

But supporters say billions of dollars in funding in the 2022 Inflation Reduction Act will make CCS cost effective, and the Clean Air Act is designed to force technological advances.

“The law was developed to make sure these newer and yet-to-be-deployed technologies are deployed,” said Jay Duffy, a lawyer at the Center for Applied Environmental Law and Policy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-attorneys-general-sue-stop-125105752.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hmmmm.... Payola from oil companies. Well you know what they say.... Grifters gonna grift.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
When the facts of actions are as obvious as the nose on a face and greed says cut the nose off.

How do you respond to that?

Man needs oxygen to breethe. Greed for profit will try to convince you can breethe something different.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vocal minority is not the representation of tUSA, they are a reflection of our darkest hour, a borderline witch hunt. These people can’t explain earth systems to you, over a beer.

Do not entertain the lowest common denominator, rise above ignorance.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
I’m getting mildly annoyed by news outlets reporting “X” ….”Formally known as twitter”. It’s like the water at Camp Legeune, we know already.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good episode on Star Talk, Neil Degrass Tyson, the other day. Brazil is closer to being carbon neutral than tUSA. Little perspective with deforestation.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
Man - that's the reason I left this forum... every argument becomes the dumbest version of politics....

- Truth is that if Hillary was president in 2016, 2024 would still be the warmest year on record.
- Truth is that Republicans have some good ideas on climate (e.g., producing a lot of nuclear power stations quickly).
- Truth is that "comfort politics" is causing us to move way to slow to do anything effective. Any group that advocates the major changes that are actually needed (significant transition to EV, shutting down nearly all coal and oil plants, significant reforestation efforts), will get destroyed in the polls, and because everything is about the next election, people make dumb insignificant changes and pretend they will help.
- Truth is, we are going to have 3 degrees C global warming in the next 20-30 years. Things like Crab fisheries in the south (which started this thread) are gone, and they are not coming back.
- Truth is, humanity will survive this - because we are very adaptable - but lots of things are going to change as we lose our equilibrium.

- And somehow after 20 years of this, half of the post on this thread are the dumbest form of "the Earth is way to big to be affected by humans" or asking stupid questions like "how much does pavement affect the global temperature" -- as if you guys suddenly came up with some brilliant insight in 30 seconds on the toilet that the worlds leading scientists hadn't thought of (and then calculated and solved) over a 50 year research career.

Last edited by Lyuokdea; 05/18/24 03:55 AM.

~Lyuokdea
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Ocean Is Abnormally Warm

Link Copied to Clipboard