Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nas320 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Anyone watching this poor excuse for a show?

The Gladiators aren't that great of athletes and all the competitors seem to be pretty average guys. They're also all incredibly annoying.

They couldn't attract any semi-pro athletes to get on here for 100K?

Thoughts?

Legend
Legend
Just flipped it on... the 'gladiators' have gotten beat in almost every event I've seen...

that's what I loved about the old show... you had to be pretty damn good to beat the gladiators.. this one sucks so far...

<><

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
the redhead chick is from Cleveland.

And yes, this sucks.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And yes, this sucks.

She looks like a man.

Anyways, it seems like the Gladiators just give up sometimes, the fake crowd noise is annoying, the contestants are annoying, the show is annoying, I wont be watching it again.

Eat it Phil...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
All the gladiators just seem really cheesy. Also, the music they play when someone gets knocked out is stupid. It's horrible...

Joe Thomas made Justin Timberlake change his name. He didn't want wusses to have the same initials...

Dawg Talker since 3/26/2005...
Legend
Legend
I could have told you all this before tonight.

They tried bringing back the same "cheesy muscle tough guys" (and gals). Ya know, they're named Laser, Blade or Blaser (obvious joke from Dodgeball), act tougher than tough and take it WAY TOO serious. Why are they trying to rip-off the "Running Man" movie?

That formula already failed back in the day. They should have re-invented the show and made it more "real"....not copied it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
OnB Offline
Bengal
Bengal
atrocious. always was. the new one is even worse. whatever happened to originality?

[Linked Image from media.lehighvalleylive.com]
Birds of War
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm enjoying it because its a bit of nostalgia. I used to watch this all the time.

But as you said, unfortunately many of the Gladiators are getting beat, more specifically the women Gladiators.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

And yes, this sucks.

Which one was that? A Gladiator?

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
K
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
K
terrible

Go Browns!
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
The new format, special effects, smack talk etc is really cheesy. But the competition is still fun to watch. I don't know what the deal is with making everyone fall into water.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
The fake crowd noise, smack talking...are you sure they didn't just repackage Dog Eat Dog?

you had a good run Hank.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
In all I think...

If i was a 7 year old kid. I'd love this show to no end. Sadly im 22, so I'm not much of a fan. They made it too hokey and over-hyped. Every part of it is over hyped.

The smack talk...im really on the fence about. I enjoyed how Wolf and that John fella were getting into it and then had to face each other in Pyramid. but, I dunno. Theyre too pompous.

The events. The eliminator, was cool-ish...the fire was lame to the fullest extent of the word. and where were the gladiators? none of which to speak of. I liked that it was longer than it used to be. It really really tired the competitors out. but, how come the bike is so hard? it never used to be, in the old shows they just rip across the bike.

Hit and Run is not very good. I think the swinging balls are too big and the gladiators are too far away.

Gauntlet is sweet. Pyramid was sweet. Joust is always amazing. Hang Tough never was all that great if you ask me, but i can tolerate it

but where was breakthrough and conquer. Earthquake was interesting but I enjoyed breakthrough and conquer.

The gladiators: I dunno. Wolf is hands down my favorite. He's insane and huge. Mayhem and Justice are scary scary dudes. The other guy gladiators are just filler if you ask me. Titan was eh, and Toa? whats this mumbo jumbo he was speaking before his turn at Pyramid, that was more annoying than anything else.

The girl gladiators. I dunno. I remember Lace and Ice, and the black girl whose name escapes me who was tall and scary. These ones arent good. Venom is ok, Fury is ok and thats about where it stops. Stealth and the red-headed one were tolerable. but Hellga was awful. She had one event and got owned. She looks out of shape and german? since when is leiderhosen-clad people supposed to frighten anyone. Maybe a big beer-drinking guy, but a "maiden" if you will? cmon. Lame.

In all, I'll keep watching because I've always enjoyed the show. But, id almost rather watch the originals that run on ESPNClassic. The competitors are about competition and not smack. They look more athletic, and arent lame. That skateboarder from SD was about the worst athlete ive seen compete on that show. I'm not convinced he couldve beaten any of the female gladiators...or competitors for that matter.

For a show thats had so long to be re-done. I think they did an awful job. The announcing sucks, the interviews are annoying, and the gladiators arent athletic enough. just for looks.

If i was 8 though, I'd prolly love it.

"It has to start somewhere
It has to start somehow
What better place than here?
What better time than now?"
Legend
Legend
Pretty much agree with you on all points. I loved this show back in the day. The new version seems kind of WWE'ed up or something. The Gladiators are all smack and no-talent ... the competitors are pompus. Still, I'll probably end up watching just for the nostalgia aspect.

And that Fury chick looks like a dude.

All Pro
All Pro
Quote:

whatever happened to originality?

You obviously don't keep up with movies then... originality died in about 2001.

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
All Pro
All Pro
As for the show, it seemed as bad and cheese as it was back in the day... it was good for some mindless entertainment. I only watched bits and pieces of the first half.

[Linked Image from i6.photobucket.com]
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Quote:

atrocious. always was. the new one is even worse. whatever happened to originality?

THe only ounce of originality is on strike at the moment. Watch Dexter if it makes it onto network TV. That's an original show.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

She looks out of shape and german? since when is leiderhosen-clad people supposed to frighten anyone.

The French?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
O
Rookie
Rookie
O
The challengers were horrible and the Gladiators were cheesy but I enjoyed the show. I thought the Gladiators made it fairly difficult for the challengers (comparable with the old shows).

Did anyone else think the Eliminator was a lot tougher than the old version? My wife and I were ROFL when the African-American girl in the first half of the show just laid on the ramp holding the rope. She wouldn't let go but couldn't get up, hahaha. I felt bad for her but it was hilarious. The challengers starting at 10pm were MUCH better than the ones at 9pm.

HULKAMANIA'S RUNNIN' WILD!

[Linked Image from i16.photobucket.com]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Heck I think Wolf got annoying after seeing him the second time. And Titan looks like he's had a couple stings from not only the steroid fairy, but also the botox fairy.

One lady gladiator that I would watch out for is Crush. Good looking yes, and also a UFC womens MMA fighter, Gina Carano. Also, that Fury chick was a division 1 pole vaulter i think i heard somewhere. I'm not totally sure how that gets you into american gladiators ...

There are no sacred cows.
Legend
Legend
Old show was at times entertaining. Way too much Vitamin S (steroid) messages there and then. This is incredibly lame and yes, suck it doth! Never thought I would think somebody lowered the standards of the original, but yeah it is. Some of these are a bit too over the top as far as stunts and competition too. The reality show mindset has lowered the bar for me. My last visit.
Go Browns! Wins are better . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
F
Legend
Legend
F
It would have been alot more entertaining had they handed them sword and shields, and let 2-3 lions in the arena.

Otherwise it was a letdown. I had hoped they had revamped it, and made it more modern, and a little more test of endurance than a bunch of 1 minute events.

All in all, not impressed, especially not for 2 hrs. I gave up after about 30 minutes.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

It would have been alot more entertaining had they handed them sword and shields, and let look 2-3 lions in the arena.

Otherwise it was a letdown. I had hoped they had revamped it, and made it more modern, and a little more test of endurance than a bunch of 1 minute events.

LOL, I like the lions idea! I agree with you on the revamp. They did "modernize" it, just in the wrong way. They took all the bad elements of reality TV and tried to mix in a little over-dramatic WWE into it. I almost think they asked the competitors to be a little over the top when they were interviewed. If you watched the full show, the interviews seemed a lot more normal and genuine after a couple rounds. The first time they stepped to the mic, it was almost like they were forcing a wrestling personna.

I thought NBC had learned their lesson with the XFL ... I guess not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

It would have been alot more entertaining had they handed them sword and shields, and let look 2-3 lions in the arena.

All in all, not impressed, especially not for 2 hrs. I gave up after about 30 minutes.

Has anyone watched Ninja Warrior before? It's usually on G4 but it's a Japanese show and it's pretty much an endurance/strength test. I was hoping the New American Gladiators was going to be like this:

[Linked Image from mypsn.eu.playstation.com]
F
Legend
Legend
F
I caught 1 episode. There was another Japanese show called "Extreme..." something or other.

Had to guys doing English commentary over the Japanese commentators. It was hilarious, very much like MST3000 back in the day. But the competitions were entertaining.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
this show is so ridiculously corny, to the point where I will watch the show just to laugh. But yeah, Crush is fine, I'd do some things to her

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I don't think it was any worse than what I saw the last time this show was on TV. The differance is I'm not 8 anymore.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Has anyone watched Ninja Warrior before? It's usually on G4 but it's a Japanese show and it's pretty much an endurance/strength test.

I've watched most of every "season" of Ninja Warrior (19 in all). And that show ROCKS!!!!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
You're talking about MXC, Most Extreme Elimination Challenge on Spike TV. That is one of the greatest shows of all time.

We DVR it and watch it over and over. It is phenomenally hilarious because it's real people. These are the "top 25 eliminations" from season one.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
Legend
Legend
Yes! That's the show I was thinking of ...

That show ruled! I loved the "after the fact" commentators ... and the dub overs that always had a bunch of inneundo added in.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
MXC is the perfect show to watch because its funny no matter what state of mind you're in: sober, drunk, or otherwise inhibited by something.

Ninja Warrior is just amazing to watch.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for that video. I had forgotten how funny that show really is.

[Linked Image from i8.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

MXC is the perfect show to watch because its funny no matter what state of mind you're in: sober, drunk, or otherwise inhibited by something.

Ninja Warrior is just amazing to watch.

Yeah, American Gladiators is closer to MXC than Ninja Warrior unfortunatly.

The contestants on Ninja Warrior actually train for the event, from what I saw last night the Contestants on AG were so out of shape, sure they look like they hit the weight room but no one showed any kind of endurance on the eliminator. I know it's just a TV show but they are playing for a lot of money and even the basic road work of 5 miles a day would of help greatly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What is Ninja Warrior?

Eat it Phil...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What is Ninja Warrior?

Look for the first Youtube video on this thread posted by me.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What is Ninja Warrior?

Only one of the greatest shows ever to find it's way to TV. OK, maybe not that good. Anyway, read more HERE.

This is my hero:

Makoto Nagano!

[Linked Image]

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Never watched them before, will never watch them now.....

But with all the people who rip apart our NASCAR threads I just had to drop in..............

If i wanted to see over hyped, Steroid filled people, I'd read the Mitchell report....atleast thats real...with real atholetes

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will have to check out the YouTube videos when I get home, what channel and time is it on?

Eat it Phil...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's aired in America on G4. Not sure what times, I can usually catch a marathon on the weekend here and there but look at G4's show line up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ill have to check it out, not sure if I even get G4 though. Thanks for the info.

Eat it Phil...
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum The "NEW" (and terrible) American Gladiators

Link Copied to Clipboard