|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,974
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,974 |
I didn't like the 4th down call either. But this is from the other thread to explain the rationale and I get it and I think I agree: If your talking about the decision to go for it in 4th and 1, I agree with the decision. Make and it's game over. Don't make it and they need to drive down to FG range just to tie it. Kick the FG and then with the kickoff you're probably giving them the ball around the 40. Assuming the FG goes OK. I get why Monken went for it. Kicking the field goal did not put the game away. A touchdown by the Panthers would still beat the Browns as kicking the field goal would have widened the lead to 6 from 21-18 to 24-18. Getting 1 yard would have won the game as the Browns would have just needed to take a knee 2 to 3 times depending on if the Panthers would have used a time out or not. This team needs to find a way to fire off the ball and get a yard when needed. They have failed 3 times now. Once in each game at 4th and 1. That is not a good trend and must improve.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,608
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,608 |
I didn't like the 4th down call either. But this is from the other thread to explain the rationale and I get it and I think I agree: If your talking about the decision to go for it in 4th and 1, I agree with the decision. Make and it's game over. Don't make it and they need to drive down to FG range just to tie it. Kick the FG and then with the kickoff you're probably giving them the ball around the 40. Assuming the FG goes OK. I would totally agree with that if Szmyt hadn't have hit his last 20 FG's in a row. I can see both sides of the coin here but the fact Szmyt has hit his last 20 in a row is most certainly the deciding factor for me. It's just my opinion of course but I don't think it's even a close call. But overall Monken has done a superb job to this point. Sure there's still some things that need cleaned up but it's still early and this team is coming together. Being 2-1 is much more than I expected at this point. Every HC is going to make calls fans disagree with but in the grand scheme of things nobody is perfect. That includes all of us.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,637
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 14,637 |
I do think the Oline is still "new". My recollection is that we did not establish the starting 5 basically until the end of TC/preseason. Tevin Jenkins was (probably?) supposed to be the starter and he's been out. Fano is a rookie.
I do think they will clean up the penalties as they come together, but I also hope our execution in the run game similarly improves during that time. I can definitely see why Monken (at times) emphasized proper execution in selecting his starters.
"FIALURE IS NOT AN OPTION...!"
-mac
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,034
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,034 |
I didn't like the 4th down call either. But this is from the other thread to explain the rationale and I get it and I think I agree: If your talking about the decision to go for it in 4th and 1, I agree with the decision. Make and it's game over. Don't make it and they need to drive down to FG range just to tie it. Kick the FG and then with the kickoff you're probably giving them the ball around the 40. Assuming the FG goes OK. I cringed at first watching it live but immediately shook my head in agreement. You have punched these dudes in the mouth all day on defense. The upside of giving the offense a chance to do the same outweighs the downside. When they didn't get it done, the defense said hold my beer, we'll do it again. I wonder if there are any advanced stats for this? It seems to me, from my decades watching football, a team driving for a tying FG is more than happy to settle for it and go to OT. From that aspect it's "win the game" vs "almost surly won't lose the game".
HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,862
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,862 |
Carolina helped the Browns get 10 points in the second quarter by going for it on 4th down and coming up short both times.
Credit to the defense, however Carolina being aggressive cost them the game.
Welcome back, Joe, we missed you!…. That did not age well.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,868
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,868 |
Being up by 6 means a TD on a kick off return or a great play by Young after a long kick return loses you the game. Going for the win showed trust in your offense and a longer drive needed if we missed it so no real down side ... I think that's the factors that made the decision and I am sure if you don't like Monken fans will say it was the wrong decision regardless. Whether it was the right thing to do or not - I guess somewhat depends on the outcome of the game. End of the day - I like the call and glad the result went our way.
The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,019
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,019 |
Pretty amazing turn around from week 1.
And Mason Graham has arrived.... 7 tackles today and 2 sacks, 4 sacks on the season. Good to thing since Verse has been a no-show thus far Verse is showing up in ways you can't see unless you are actually watching him on every play. I know "almost" doesn't count except horseshoes, but the pressures he is getting on the QB is making them make bad or early decisions. Young had a ton of throw away passes yesterday, and many of them were directly because of pressure that Verse was involved in. This Defensive Line is getting good push off the ball. Verse is a big part of that push. Young was 10 percentage points below his average completion percentage yesterday.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,608
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,608 |
There have bee zero kick off returns that have gone for TD's this season. Only about 0.5% of all kickoffs are returned for TD's. The Browns were 0-2 in 4th down conversions at that time. By contrast Szmyt had hit his last 20 FG attempts.
The choice was to risk giving up the ball in good field position to give them the chance to tie with 1:00 minute left on the clock by an O that was 0-2 in 4th down conversions rather than go with the sure footed Szmyt and force them to drive the length of the field to score a TD. Luckily his choice did not effect the outcome of the game.
I don't believe placing "trust in your offense" and having them fail on a 4th and short conversion is quite the confidence booster some think it is.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,868
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,868 |
Yep. Your opinion. All good. My emotions were the same at the time.
Monken disagreed and went for it..... and I can see why he made that decision and have no problem with that.
The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,019
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,019 |
There have bee zero kick off returns that have gone for TD's this season. Only about 0.5% of all kickoffs are returned for TD's. The Browns were 0-2 in 4th down conversions at that time. By contrast Szmyt had hit his last 20 FG attempts.
The choice was to risk giving up the ball in good field position to give them the chance to tie with 1:00 minute left on the clock by an O that was 0-2 in 4th down conversions rather than go with the sure footed Szmyt and force them to drive the length of the field to score a TD. Luckily his choice did not effect the outcome of the game.
I don't believe placing "trust in your offense" and having them fail on a 4th and short conversion is quite the confidence booster some think it is. Yeah, I was there and said basically the same thing. I was in shock more than anything. Ended up lucky that it worked out. Defense did their job yesterday for sure!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,608
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,608 |
You are correct that it's just my opinion. Yet at the same time I used a lot of statistical facts with which to base it on. That's been the best method I've found with which to base opinions on.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,457
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,457 |
Carolina helped the Browns get 10 points in the second quarter by going for it on 4th down and coming up short both times.
Credit to the defense, however Carolina being aggressive cost them the game. This shows how hard the defense was playing. Carolina was feeling the D and knew they had to be aggressive in order to win the game. That's a great feeling for the D to stop them on those attempts The Panthers didn't give the Browns the 10 points The defense gave the offense the opportunity to score those points
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,483 |
I got the sense that Carolina underestimated Cleveland a little bit .. just reading between the lines of player quotes from Carolina, their coach being brash about going for it, etc
"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,933
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,933 |
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Gameday vs Carolina Post Game Discussion....
|
|