|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,811
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 34,811 |
As some of you know I had an open heart quad bypass last year. But I haven’t shared what else I’m going through with anyone but GM… he’s gone now, and I feel it’s time to share.
Following open heart I had a very serious set back in my recovery with a plural effusion, a serious build up of fluid in the plural space between the heart and lungs. This was allowing fluid to build up and hindering my ability to breathe. And my pulmonologist ran a series of test to see what was causing it and found NSCLC or non-small cell lung cancer, stage 2.6, I think. So I got to experience two surgeries for the effusion, one to install a drain to drain the fluid at home, which I did. The second to seal the space…
Then I was off for three rounds of chemo and immunotherapy. The first two were a breeze. They left me a little tired but otherwise fine. The third was not that. I developed pneumonia and spent 6 weeks trying not to die. And at 6 weeks I had some deep lung remnants of that pneumonia that had to go or I could not get the lobectomy surgery on my lung to remove the cancer.
Fast forward to last week and I find out that my lung function is not completely recovered and breathing is worse than before the chemo per test results. So that means the surgery is delayed again until at least November, while they try to improve my breathing. But the good news is that my lung cancer appears to be gone, dead. My doctor says if they can’t see it, or it doesn’t show up in test, removal may not be necessary. So, now I wait until November.
This week I found out that my bladder cancer is still gone at my 2.5 year checkup. Only 2.5 more to go for me to be considered cured.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,931
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,931 |
You have some good news to build on.
Try and keep a positive state of mind. Bernie has been through the ringer and I admire how he has been able to stay positive through all the setbacks.
It must help. He is doing better.
It sounds like there is light ahead. Keep your goals in sight and remain positive.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,632
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,632 |
It sounds as if after a lot of bad news you're now getting some good news. Getting older can be hell. Time takes a toll on all of us to one extent or the other. I hope all goes well for you from here forward and sorry to hear of your health struggles. Hang in there man.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,387
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,387 |
Prayers of thanks for you and your improving news! You have my prayers for strength, healing, and blessings. Not sure what is next, but we will stand with you. Be strong, and take up the challenges. There are no small victories.
"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,875
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,875 |
I was wondering what happened to you. I was going to post 'OCD MIA' but now we know what's up. Prayers & positive energy your way.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,050
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,050 |
Crazy journey, bro. Good thing you're tough as nails. 💪
Hang in there... and lean-in if you need some dawgs to talk with, vent to or yell at.
HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,051
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 51,051 |
I am glad that you have some good news regarding your health, and will pray for you regarding the challenges remaining.
I had some trouble not breathing deeply enough, and not getting enough O2 into my blood. They wanted to put me on a CPAP, but I kept rippinmg the mask off prety much every night in my sleep. I bought one of those breathing exercisers. It restricts your exhilation, so you have to breathe out longer and slower. It worked really well for me, and put by breathing/O2 levels back to normal. (consistent 96-97 on my blood O2 at home, and at the doctor's) You might want to ask your doctor about it. They are really pretty inexpensive. Just a suggestion.
Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,493
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 75,493 |
hoping for continued good updates from you my friend
"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Boston is far to the left as KC settles into the slot. Fannin is flanked out wide to the right. Judkins and Sampson are split in the backfield as the ball is hiked ... Here we go."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,697
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,697 |
Sorry to hear the news but there is also good news so the focus is on that. Keep on keeping on Bubba. We'll all keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn. GM Strong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,016
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,016 |
My prayers and support to you OCD. My poor wife went through this so I've unfortunately seen it firsthand. Stay positive and keep fighting!!
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Health update
|
|