|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026 |
Why do I feel like Arch Manning will just be the next chapter of the curse?
I can't explain it, but my juju meter says we want no part of it. That's why I am scrutinizing this coaching staff to the fullest. IF they don't show they can lead a professional team onto the field, I want a full revamp to go with the shiny new QB. That will hopefully give the QB a full 5 years to grow with a competent staff. Let's play the "what if" game. What if the Browns have two top 5 picks? What if Stafford continues to decline and the Rams defense continues to decline? What if McVay's contract extension has an out? What if the Browns could get McVay from the Rams in return for their first round pick we received for Garrett? None of this is feasible of course, but I do want a competent coaching staff in place in 2027 to go along with the QB that is drafted. I don't want the new QB to be on his second HC and OC going into his second year of his rookie deal. Rip the band aid off at year end if Monken and company do not look a lot more competent than they did Sunday. Find the next plausible McVay if you can't get the man himself. That doesn't mean the next man down McVay's coaching staff list...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026 |
No they don't face NFL corners every week. Nor do they face NFL caliber players at any position every week. But when they do it's more meaningful than playing against nobodies. Agreed!! They must step up against the best competition on their schedule.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944 |
I just see who are considered the top quarterback prospects.
Watch them play and see who I like.
I am looking at traits that could make them successful.
I remember watching Josh Allen's college tape. He looked like a guy with the lowest floor and highest ceiling. Low completion percentage and high ints.
But you had to be blind not to see his potential.
Jim Brown scored 106 rushing touchdowns. Josh Allen has 81 rushing touchdowns. He is tied at 20 for the most "rushing" touchdowns. More than Tony Dorsett and Earl Campbell and some of the best running backs in history.
What guys do in college has to be taken with a grain of salt.
We have to get this draft right. I want to get a guy I believe in. When down two scores in the 4th quarter. I want to believe my guy can win this game.
Andrew Berry please find a guy we all can believe in.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,669
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,669 |
I see what you're getting at and won't totally dismiss it. But even Josh Allan faced teams like Nebraska, Oregon and Iowa. He also faced Boise St. who were ranked #13 at the time. I think it seems logical for NFL scouts to more heavily weigh how a college QB plays against his better competition than they would his weaker opponents. Less pressure and looser coverage makes it much harder to see what a QB would do in more stressful situations when facing far more adversity. When down two scores in the 4th quarter. I want to believe my guy can win this game. That's what we're both looking for. I think where we differ is I don't think I'm going to find out the answer to that question without heavily basing it on if he can do that against his best competition. When you're playing a nobody team, you aren't facing much pressure. The coverage isn't as good on your WR's. It's much easier to get in your comfort zone and not be forced out if it. For me the only way you can tell how a QB will perform under duress is when he is no longer in his comfort zone.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,828 |
I don't know what to make of Mensah yet. The touch and accuracy look great throwing into huge windows. I'd like to see more of the ability to rifle it into tight windows accurately. He's great with the club he's been using, just still trying to see what other clubs he has in his bag. Malachi Toney is roasting people.
![[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]](https://i.ibb.co/fkjZc8B/Bull-Dawg-Sig-smaller.jpg) You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns. Fiercely Independent.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,280
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,280 |
You called it when you stated Haslam got involved, BUT, BUT, how can ANY organization miss/ or ignor character defects like Manziel and Watson brought to a team- one was a drug addict and other a sex addict.....and we paid a huge price for giving them the keys to team. One, Watson, had proved himself at pro level----but got hurt/ lost lots of time due to sex problem.....BOTH were obtained when the "team culture" stated character was important. BS.
No college Qb is a guarantee. I like big, strong guys- J Allen is my current heart throb.....Mayfield is/was too small, he's been hurt, gotten paid, but is a second tier Qb. Manning has the blood lines, and won a big game, he is on the radar of Haslam and lots of other teams. If he has no character flaws, I think he's about the best we'd have drafted in 50 years.
"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,029
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,029 |
I realize just because a college QB is 6'5 and 230 LBS. doesn't mean he can play in the NFL, but I would like to see our next QB be at least 6'3 and 220-225. At least in this scenario we don't have to question the physical aspect. Of course, he needs to have the traits of an NFL QB.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,138
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,138 |
My fav college Qb is CJ Carr ND Still has some deveopement to do I think he comes out after next season rather than this one
Mestemaker Okahoma St is an exciting prospect too Also needs developement - very inexperienced Anticipate he plays next season in college as well
Procrastination is caused by the fear of success
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026 |
I see what you're getting at and won't totally dismiss it. But even Josh Allan faced teams like Nebraska, Oregon and Iowa. He also faced Boise St. who were ranked #13 at the time. I think it seems logical for NFL scouts to more heavily weigh how a college QB plays against his better competition than they would his weaker opponents. Less pressure and looser coverage makes it much harder to see what a QB would do in more stressful situations when facing far more adversity. When down two scores in the 4th quarter. I want to believe my guy can win this game. That's what we're both looking for. I think where we differ is I don't think I'm going to find out the answer to that question without heavily basing it on if he can do that against his best competition. When you're playing a nobody team, you aren't facing much pressure. The coverage isn't as good on your WR's. It's much easier to get in your comfort zone and not be forced out if it. For me the only way you can tell how a QB will perform under duress is when he is no longer in his comfort zone. Perfect example is Bryce Underwood, he has the comeback… against lowly Western Michigan AND the big win against Oklahoma, yet he doesn’t look like a NFL QB. CJ Carr looks the part on all levels, but he hasn’t been challenged yet. Manning looks like the best prospect of the last 10 years… then he doesn’t … then he does again. Same with Moore. You aren’t going to get the perfect example in college ball. There just isn’t enough consistent competition to KNOW you found the right one. This year though, we have several that have traits consistent with successful NFL QBs. There could be more than one come out of this draft to become really good starting players.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,669
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,669 |
I certainly agree with this............... You aren’t going to get the perfect example in college ball. There just isn’t enough consistent competition to KNOW you found the right one. If there were perfect examples and air tight methods to identify the best QB's in every draft there wouldn't be nearly as many first round QB busts. All you can do is look at how they preform under pressure and their skill set then try to decide how that will transfer in the NFL.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944 |
Darian Mensah, dude is crushing it.
91% completion. 11 tds 0 ints.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,389
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,389 |
T times, Dart comes close, especially given his youth.
"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,280
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,280 |
Just watched OS Sayin- he throws a nice ball BUT- as the commentators pointed out, he doesn't see the whole field AT ALL. He locks on to his first read and throws it.....one pass thrown to Smith/well covered- there was a guy running COMPLETELY free in middle of field and he never gave the guy a glance- and easy touchdown missed......I would NEVER draft him.....his mind isn't quick enough.......I ain't saying I'm quick, just he doesn't have field vision.
"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,629
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,629 |
Manning did the same thing in the OSU-Texas game, he didn't see wide open receivers numerous times because he was locked on to his first read plus he took a sack when he should have thrown the ball away. I'm going to try to watch some games of Moore (Oregon), Mensah (Miami), and Carr (Notre Dame) since we will obviously be taking a QB early in next year's draft and hopefully one of them looks a little more NFL ready.
RIP GM
Live, Love, Laugh
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,500
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,500 |
j/c...
Kamario Taylor is insane and is incredible to watch. Not sure Miss. State will be able to keep him.
Get him in the 2029 draft!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,084
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 15,084 |
Wow. Look at the fundamentals! Great footwork, both hands on the ball with the nose tucked up by his ear. Looks like Dan Marino with a set of wheels! And the ball jumps out of his hand.
We should have (5) 1st round draft picks by then, sign me up!
HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,500
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 16,500 |
We should have (5) 1st round draft picks by then, sign me up! Lol. ![[Linked Image from media3.giphy.com]](https://media3.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExZDR3YzZkZzdseWJibng5dHBydWcyYjNxeDNndnFhNWN5ZDVscWNtMiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/S6lWFrPLLo9lvFViqt/giphy.gif)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,283 |
Is there any possibility AB drafts Jeremiah Smith with his first pick and draft LaNorris Sellers later in the first round?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,709
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,709 |
Is there any possibility AB drafts Jeremiah Smith with his first pick and draft LaNorris Sellers later in the first round? Always a possibility. It depends on where that second 1st rounder is positioned and how many QBs actually declare. It also depends on how the rookie WR's on our roster play. We did invest in the WR position. I am not sure we will do so again this year if they play well.
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn. GM Strong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944 |
Darian Mensah is the first FBS quarterback in the last 30 years to have more touchdown passes (14) than incompletions (12) through his first four games.
Darian Mensah is the 1st Miami player with 3 Pass TD & a Rush TD in a first half in the last 30 seasons.
YDS 1,211
TD 14
INT 0
QBR 93.9
What else can a qb do?
His poise and control is special.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,029
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 6,029 |
Bone I watched Mateer yesterday. He didn't look very good. So far this season he's been very average.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944 |
I saw the play where he fumbled and the guy picked it up and ran like 80 yards for a TD.
Mateer has decent numbers but nothing special for sure. I thought he would be better. I don't know much about the team.
I saw the hit Dante Moore took. Disgusting. He could have been paralyzed. They threw the guy out of the game but he should be suspended. Moore went into a slide and that guy targeted his head. It was a bad screen. I really feared for Moore. He was on the field 20 minutes before they got him on a stretcher and carted off the field.
I watched Manning in the Texas vs TN game. He looks ok but he seems slow in processing to me.
Chambliss is small but damn he is a hellava playmaker. Smart, fast, elusive, savvy. Makes plays with arms and legs.
Still a long way to go.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026 |
Darian Mensah is the first FBS quarterback in the last 30 years to have more touchdown passes (14) than incompletions (12) through his first four games.
Darian Mensah is the 1st Miami player with 3 Pass TD & a Rush TD in a first half in the last 30 seasons.
YDS 1,211
TD 14
INT 0
QBR 93.9
What else can a qb do?
His poise and control is special. Now we just need him to go up against a team with an actual defense. Stanford ranked 111 Florida A&M ranked 108 Wake Forest ranked 71 Central Michigan ranked 55 Clemson next up on the schedule ranked 68 Florida State after that ranked 128 THEN FINALLY... Pitt comes in at #16 nationally (Though they have played Miami OH/UCF/Syracuse/Bucknell, so might want to take that with a grain of salt) The true test will be in a marquee matchup with Notre Dame, who is currently #1 ranked in defense. Irish have played (3) B1G teams and Rice. Irish Vs Hurricanes will also feature CJ Carr, whom I think is a better prospect than Mensah overall. We have to wait until November 7th to see it unfortunately!!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,895
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,895 |
This goes here. A thumbnail of all the major qb’s thru 4 games. Chambliss is still studding out. Apart from one pretty golden moment I’m sure a few here will (always) remember, Manning looking like he may still need a year at this point. Moore hasn’t been great and now a concussion. Mensah wasn’t really on my radar, is now. Sellers looking very average. It’s still early but interesting: Linkipoo
Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 09/30/26 02:03 PM.
"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944 |
I found this interesting.
I asked Gemini to evaluate the 27 quarterback class based upon the most advanced metrics available.
Gemini went into detail about the criterion it used to rank the players. It used extremely advanced metrics.
So, here is the ranking:
Mensah
CJ Carr
Manning
Chambliss
Sayin
Moore
Mestemaker
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,389
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,389 |
'Peen, cogent observation. I like the pick, especially if the QB's look strong early. What you describe is doable and circle back for a favorite or best player available. Which current roster receiver could he replace and outperform? Does his size, his speed, his hands and blocking fit Monken's ideal? I think he can make a difference in the statistical play of the next QB who is NOT DW. I want him and I can settle for someone growing into QB position. How many more of his caliber do you expect in next few drafts. Two questions: One: Is he special? Two: Is he special enough for a move this major? I say yes. A player this solid strikes me as some comfort over one shot crapshoot with a QB who may bust. The metric for pay scale is attractive in comparison as well.
"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,471
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,471 |
I found this interesting.
I asked Gemini to evaluate the 27 quarterback class based upon the most advanced metrics available.
Gemini went into detail about the criterion it used to rank the players. It used extremely advanced metrics.
So, here is the ranking:
Mensah
CJ Carr
Manning
Chambliss
Sayin
Moore
Mestemaker AI responses may include mistakes. it says that on every search. Real life people like GM's make mistakes. I'm not about the march for Arch, just Sayin Lol
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944 |
Listing all the metrics used is quite lengthy.
But it is amazingly detailed.
All the draft guys have Moore, Manning as the top two.
It is still early but every time I watch Mensah. He looks very good. Very.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,669
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 80,669 |
I trust the draft guys more than I trust AI. They have all the metrics and then some.
Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.
#gmstrong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,709
Legend
|
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,709 |
'Peen, cogent observation. I like the pick, especially if the QB's look strong early. What you describe is doable and circle back for a favorite or best player available. Which current roster receiver could he replace and outperform? Does his size, his speed, his hands and blocking fit Monken's ideal? I think he can make a difference in the statistical play of the next QB who is NOT DW. I want him and I can settle for someone growing into QB position. How many more of his caliber do you expect in next few drafts. Two questions: One: Is he special? Two: Is he special enough for a move this major? I say yes. A player this solid strikes me as some comfort over one shot crapshoot with a QB who may bust. The metric for pay scale is attractive in comparison as well. I am not saying he doesn't look to be the next great WR. A few thoughts on this situation. How high would we need to be in order to draft Smith? He probably won't go #1. Too many teams will be looking QB. I don't see out of the top 3 in the draft. At least right now we won't be picking that high. As good as the guy might be, I wouldn't trade the other 1st rounder for Smith and it would probably take that. I could see the Jets taking him 1st overall if they hold that pick because they have several more 1st rounders to get a QB as well. Along these lines, what if we don't draft a QB in the 1st? What if we just use the other 1st rounders to keep building the team at other positions and look QB in the 2nd round or just go the FA QB route or trade route? Bone posted up a list of top names according to AI at this point. All aren't going to be drafted in round one. A guy like Gabriel might be Purdy like if we build around the QB position. I don't have any idea what QB's are slated to be free agents. Maybe we look there? We do have other needs than at QB. A stud corner and another O lineman would look pretty good as drafted players. I know people love Judkins and I like him as well, but he isn't what I would call a stud. Maybe we look there? In conclusion, what I am saying is if the wins don't stop at 3 or 4 and move up towards 8, maybe a QB isn't as slam dunk as we think. At least a 1st round QB.
If everybody had like minds, we would never learn. GM Strong
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944 |
Thankfully I put the draft on the back burner.
I do think we are drafting a quarterback no matter where the pick lands.
Unless Berry feels that whoever is left when we pick is not worth the pick.
Right now at 3-1 with the schedule we face going forward. It is game by game for me.
There are a number of quarterbacks that could be available like Nico Iamleava who could be very intriguing.
I like winning so I am just riding the unexpected wave.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,992
Hall of Famer
|
Hall of Famer
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 4,992 |
Thankfully I put the draft on the back burner.
I do think we are drafting a quarterback no matter where the pick lands.
Unless Berry feels that whoever is left when we pick is not worth the pick.
Right now at 3-1 with the schedule we face going forward. It is game by game for me.
There are a number of quarterbacks that could be available like Nico Iamleava who could be very intriguing.
I like winning so I am just riding the unexpected wave. I would remove Nico Iamleava from your list. Adter what he did to Jimmy Haslam's Tennessee Volunteers I do not think Jimmy would ever give Berry the go ahead to draft that kid.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944
Legend
|
OP
Legend
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,944 |
If Berry and their scouts think he is the right pick.
Haslam would have to agree. I know he is the owner but he is not irrational. You pay your staff to make those choices.
I doubt that he would let college games get in the way. This is the NFL now.
April is five months away. Lots of water still to go over the dam.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026
Dawg Talker
|
Dawg Talker
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,026 |
Listing all the metrics used is quite lengthy.
But it is amazingly detailed.
All the draft guys have Moore, Manning as the top two.
It is still early but every time I watch Mensah. He looks very good. Very.
Does it include strength of schedule and NCAA defensive ratings? Reminder of Mensah's current state of opponent: Stanford ranked 111 Florida A&M ranked 108 Wake Forest ranked 71 Central Michigan ranked 55 Clemson ranked 68 Florida State next ranked 128 THEN FINALLY... Pitt comes in at #16 nationally (Though they have played Miami OH/UCF/Syracuse/Bucknell, so might want to take that with a grain of salt) The true test will be in a marquee matchup with Notre Dame, who is currently #7 ranked in defense. Irish have played (3) B1G teams and Rice. To compare to my pick of the litter, CJ Carr Wisconsin ranked #29 Rice ranked #105 Michigan State ranked #67 Purdue ranked #130 North Carolina ranked #43 with upcoming; BYU #17 MIAMI now #1 If anyone wants to look at what QB play looks like in NCAA that can (not guaranteed mind you) translate to the NFL, watch the Miami vs Notre Dame game November 8th! This is a marquee match up of arguably the two best QBs going against two of the best defenses in the NCAA. BTW, I do think Manning has a nice career ahead of him in the NFL. He has fixable issues, but I believe he is going to end up being as good as his uncle Eli.
|
|
|
DawgTalkers.net
Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Quarterbacks
|
|