All Pro
B
Titans fire Chow after three seasons
ESPN.com news services

Updated: January 15, 2008, 2:20 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
The Tennessee Titans fired offensive coordinator Norm Chow after three seasons with the team, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Tuesday.

The Titans finished the regular season 10-6 and suffered a 17-6 loss to the San Diego Chargers in the first round of the playoffs. They finished 10th in the AFC in total yards.

Chow, who was previously the offensive coordinator at USC, was interviewed for UCLA's head coach opening in December but withdrew his name from consideration. The Bruins went on to hire Rick Neuheisel.

on www.espn.com

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
Legend
Legend
Norm Chow isn't their problem... the problem is their QB.

Now, if Norm had a big hand in sticking them with the RunningBack that can throw, then yeah, he should be gone.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's a direct link to the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3197683

Was that so hard?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I really dont think it was due to lack of scoring, alittle power struggle might have been happening in the FO. My .02

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
that really is surprising. i wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes with Chow and VY? It's not Chow's fault that Young is overrated.

Another thought- does this open up a Pete Carroll return to the NFL. Atlanta was trying to talk to him and he was supposedly putting together a list of assistants. Kiffin of tampa for defense, Chow for offense would seem like a solid start to me.

Legend
Legend
When the bungles are pressuring your qb, something's definitely wrong with the system.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That definitely surprises me.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:

that really is surprising. i wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes with Chow and VY? It's not Chow's fault that Young is overrated.

Another thought- does this open up a Pete Carroll return to the NFL. Atlanta was trying to talk to him and he was supposedly putting together a list of assistants. Kiffin of tampa for defense, Chow for offense would seem like a solid start to me.

Doubt it. Atlanta hired a G.M. a few days ago, and Pete's said all along if he returns to the NFL he wants full control over personnel.

G
All Pro
All Pro
G
Wow - this is surprising. The Titans have no weapons for Young to throw to. If you look at their WR's it's amazing they made it to the playoffs. Unless Chow was the one drafting and signing FA's (Didn't Moulds play with Jim Kelly?) I don't think you can put the offensive problems on him.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
They made it to the playoffs because well... they made it because we couldn't close the deal but that's beside the point. Let me rephrase that.... They got to 10-6 because of their Defense. And their Offense made just enough plays to win games. Kind of the polar opposite of the Browns this year. We made it to 10-6 because of our offense and our defense made plays when it had to in order to secure some wins. We also had a bit of luck on our side for once. So it brings up an interesting question: Which is more likely to bring you success... A great defense and a subpar offense that can make plays when it has to? Or a great offense and a subpar defense that can make plays when it has to?

Survey says: Neither. It takes all 3 facets of a gameplan to be successful week in and week out. We had 2 out of 3. I'm not sure how their Special Teams were, but the defense played well. The offense didn't. Somebody has to take the fall. And that someone is Norm Chow.

Follow me on Twitter <a href="link" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/CoachA12</a>
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Doubt it. Atlanta hired a G.M. a few days ago, and Pete's said all along if he returns to the NFL he wants full control over personnel.

YEah, they just picked up Dimitroph (sp) from NE.. He's gonna want someone other than Pete Carroll I would think.

I'm still having a problem with why Chow was fired.. Chow is a pretty proven Offensive guru type guy really.. But even the best coach isn't gonna get much accomplished without some talent.. Vince Young now appears to be overrated and what else is there?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

YEah, they just picked up Dimitroph (sp) from NE.. He's gonna want someone other than Pete Carroll I would think.

I'm still having a problem with why Chow was fired.. Chow is a pretty proven Offensive guru type guy really.. But even the best coach isn't gonna get much accomplished without some talent.. Vince Young now appears to be overrated and what else is there?

Just a thought...I find it ironic how many people who declare Vince Young to be overrated thought Charlie Frye still needed time to prove himself.

*puts on flame retardant suit*

Legend
Legend
This is kind of random but I hope the bucks get him as OC.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Jesus, Ammo, give it a rest.

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Nicely laid trap Ammo. But I'm not going there.

Legend
Legend
j/c

We go 10-6 with a sub-par defense and Grantham gets fired. They go 10-6 with a sub-par offense and Chow gets fired. Chow was given Vince (I done gots me a 2 on the wonderlic's) Young and was forced to use crayon draw up the plays. Not really sure why this is surprising anyone?

#GMSTRONG
V
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
V
Did anyone hear the quote from the sideline reporter during the Titans/Colts game, where she reported that Chow claims Young pouting affects his performance?

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Did anyone hear the quote from the sideline reporter during the Titans/Colts game, where she reported that Chow claims Young pouting affects his performance?

I LOVED that... I thought it was hilarious!

<><

#gmstrong
V
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
V
Yeah.......it was crazy! Michaels and Madden were stunned for a moment, and then Madden says that he didn't think Young was faking this injury. It was pretty amazing.

I wonder if saying that to a TV reporter during a Prime Time game had anything to do w/his release?

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Legend
Legend
Possibly... didn't Michaels ask something to the effect of if they thought he was faking the injury? Madden sure came to his side pretty quickly... I just thought it was funny as hell!

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Vince Young should use his feet a lot more than he did. I don't think Norm Chow was the problem, but then again, maybe he should have designed the offense a little better to help show Youngs attributes.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Norm Chow isn't their problem... the problem is their QB.

Now, if Norm had a big hand in sticking them with the RunningBack that can throw, then yeah, he should be gone.

Easier to fire an OC than say you picked the wrong QB in the first round. Looks like Chow didn't set him up to his strengths, sort of like what they said about Charlie. Roll him out of the pocket and let him be on the move, they said, and he'll be fine.

Now Charlie is tossing fish in a Seattle fish market.

Thought Young was overrated when he was drafted, thought he was overrated last season and almost ate crow when he started winning, but he pretty much went back to what I figured he'd be this year.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
If I recall correctly, wasn't Chow trying to push for Leinart in the draft? (not saying thats much better)

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Come back to Hawaii Norm Chow......(insert Golden Child reference)......ppppplllleeaaaasseeeee.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If I recall correctly, wasn't Chow trying to push for Leinart in the draft? (not saying thats much better)

Yeah, I believe he would have taken Leinart. I would have to over Young. JMO.

[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

If I recall, Chow was hired after the USC-Texas game and probably had a significant say in the selection of Vince.

I don't know if this is the case of Young being a "coach killer" ala Michael Vick, but the comments above are disturbing and probably did not help Chow.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Ok let's speculate-after all, it is the offseason, where is the best place for Norm to end up at? Where can he make the most impact?

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
NORM!

Falcons, Ravens, Dolphins will all need OC's (possibly Dallas, Indy, Washington). I imagine Cam Cameron will achieve one of those positions. Norm could still find ahome somewhere in there. Are any college positions still open?

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
but b/c Vince was a 1st round pick he will get another year, at least, to prove his worth. It's all about pedigree, isn't that right Ammo?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

possibly Dallas, Indy, Washington

Indy???...U talkin' about Tom Moore???

Get a load of this...

TEN YEARS as the Offensive Coordinator for Indy...TEN...ALL Manning years included...

We could only be so lucky...

Go Browns!!!
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
From what I recall, Chow really wanted Leinart in the draft, and the Titans went with VY. Wonder if the Cards will be calling...

Then again, I'd imagine that Hawaii job might be appealing to him as well.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

I believe every word of it, Did you see how Young was acting, & during other games he came off as acting like he was spoiled.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

From what I recall, Chow really wanted Leinart in the draft, and the Titans went with VY.

That is my recollection as well.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Just a thought...I find it ironic how many people who declare Vince Young to be overrated thought Charlie Frye still needed time to prove himself.

*puts on flame retardant suit*

It is odd isn't it.. I guess it comes down to expectations. Charlie was a third round pick from a small school.. Vince was a first round pick that came out of nowhere and was thought to be a sure fire stud.

It's the expectations,, not the reality

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Easier to fire an OC than say you picked the wrong QB in the first round. Looks like Chow didn't set him up to his strengths, sort of like what they said about Charlie. Roll him out of the pocket and let him be on the move, they said, and he'll be fine.

It was certainly interesting to hear what Mort had to say on the Tirico Show yesterday.

He stated that there were other coaches around the league who felt Chow was performing miracles with VY the past two years.

And now because of what appears to be a clashing of heads, a very good coordinator was shown the door.

Early on in the season (before VY started to really struggle), Chow was on Jim Rome's show and it sounded like the two of them had a great relationship. The part that sticks out to me is Chow saying something to the effect of, "I tell Vince to do A, B, and C...and if that breaks down...just go out and be Vince Young."

TEN seems determined to keep talented receivers away from him. that HUH noise that followed their drafting of a safety in round one last year, instead of a WR, when they didn't have any worth a dime...

B
Legend
Legend
B
You are right about lack of receivers....they are pretty thin there.

A guy like Young needs a deep threat.....if not, the saftey can sit in spy mode .

If they get a real deep threat, Young could become a real threat.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Just thinking off the top of my head here, but it doesn't seem like any of the black QBs have talented receivers around them

Young is throwing to Roydell Williams and Justin Gage

David Garrard has Ernest Willford and Dropcutt
JaMarcus Russell / Dante Culpepper have Jerry Porter and Ronald Curry
McNabb has Kevin Curtis (good) and Reggie Brown
Jason Campbell is a bit of an exception with Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El
Tavaris Jackson -- Bobby Wade, Sidney Rice, Robert Ferguson, Troy Williamson all suck
Even Ron Mexico only had Michael Jenkins and Roddy White.

Don't know what all this means, because I'm sure there are teams with white QBs that have crappy receivers. But it seems like the teams with top notch ones have only white QBs.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Never really thought about it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
A deep threat isn't a threat unless you have a QB that can throw them the ball. (i.e. Michael Vick)

F
All Pro
All Pro
F
I hope he gets the job at UCLA.

And the next head coach is ......
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Wow - Norm Chow fired!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard