Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,189
S
Squires Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,189
It's a video to a newscast that can be found here

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,223
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,223


Flag suspenders


[Linked Image from pic18.picturetrail.com]
"The Browns' defense is kicking mucho dupa."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
A
Legend
Offline
Legend
A
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 30,959
Kudos to him. Now, will people pony up for his legal defense fund? Cause he's gonna get sued.

Damn sad country we live in, but I'm proud of him.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Honestly, I would have done the exact same thing. And if he does get sued, I will send some money for the defense fund if needed. Although I don't suspect he will need it.


KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,950
C
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
C
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,950
Quote:

Honestly, I would have done the exact same thing. And if he does get sued, I will send some money for the defense fund if needed. Although I don't suspect he will need it.






Sued, this guy should be honered, not only for his service but for cutting down the flag, if the Mexicans dont like it too...F....Bad this isnt thier country, and if they dont like it they can leave.

If any judge lets this go to trial he should be barred also.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Good for him.

Quote:

Reno, Nevada, October 2, 2007, the flagpole at a local bar displayed the Mexican flag above the US flag on the same flagpole. Section 7g reads, "When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace."




We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,212
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,212
heheheh-- i wonder who the annonymous caller was?????

i kind of thought he took the wrong flag. Should have cut off the mexican flag and raised the american flag again.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
I think his idea was that they didn't deserve the American flag if they didn't want to fly it on top.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
wow, it's just a flag. and all a flag is, is fabric with colors.

I'm pretty sure they did not know that law.

I just don't get bent out of shape over flag issues. Not even when I see rednecks rolling around flaunting the "stars and bars"...it's just a flag.

This was at a local establishment. Well, the fact that they contributed to their local economy means more to me than whose flag was first.


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
To some people it is more than a flag, it's a representation of their home.

And I'd almost be willing to bet it would not have gotten the same reaction had it been some Polish businessman flying his Polish flag. But with the tensions that illegal immigration have caused, a Mexican flag with garner some attention.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Quote:

wow, it's just a flag. and all a flag is, is fabric with colors.

I'm pretty sure they did not know that law.

I just don't get bent out of shape over flag issues. Not even when I see rednecks rolling around flaunting the "stars and bars"...it's just a flag.

This was at a local establishment. Well, the fact that they contributed to their local economy means more to me than whose flag was first.




While I respect your right to your opinion, I will have to disagree with you. There is no way, absolutely no way, that the American Flag is "just a flag". Too many people have fought and died for it. Too many people have gone through too much trouble to come to live under it.

To quote United States Code Title 36, Chapter 10, paragraph 175 Subparagraph C:

Quote:

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.




KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
N
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
N
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
I take it you've never served your country, had family or friends who served?

You never had anyone close to you put their lives on the line and/or surrender that life for what that flag represents?

It may just be "fabric with colors", but it represents so much more, and if I have to explain that to you..........................well, then you just don't get it.


Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
I don't think you had to have served or even know someone who did to have strong feelings and emotions about what the flag represents to most people in this country.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,877
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,877
Well, I did serve my country. And I don't get all riled up about this flag stuff either. I don't know the exact circumstances but assuming it wasn't a direct attempt to anger people I don't see the need to make this more than it probably was. An honest mistake.

And frankly, the guy who cut it down probably needs to consider some anger management classes. Or perhaps some Xanax. Dude seemed a little over the top to me.


"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
What I found interesting is that within minutes of the news showing up, this guy does this. Sounds like one or the other persuaded each other to make it a "news" story.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,877
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,877
I'm sure "Angry Guy with Really Big Knife" called the TV station and told them something was gonna happen. Along with the exact time it was gonna happen. That's another reason not to get too excited about this, IMO.


"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
N
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
N
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
Your right Jules, and I apoligize for coming off like that.

I guess I just got a little fired up because the flag DOES mean something to me. It is NOT just a piece of fabric to me, and there are significant reasons behind those feelings. But I guess the flag meant something to me long before I joined the military and I know several people who, though they differ in several ways from myself, still respect the flag and what it stands for.

Otto, The flag doesn't mean anything to you? I just don't understand that sentiment. I don't mean to critize anyone, but I just don't get that apathy towards our flag.

I wish I could express myself better on this topic.


Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,877
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,877
Otto, The flag doesn't mean anything to you? I just don't understand that sentiment. I don't mean to critize anyone, but I just don't get that apathy towards our flag.

Don't believe that's what I said. What I said was this flag stuff doesn't bother me. As far as we know these guys just hoisted both flags up there because they're proud of both countries. They probably didn't realize that what they did would offend people. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

That plus the fact that "Angry Guy with Really Big Knife" seemed to be staging this for the camera makes me more than a little suspicious about his motives and the TV station's motives in this instance.

But let me make one thing clear....I don't think you have to fly a flag every day to be a patriot. Or have flag decals on your jacket and car. It's what's in your heart not what's on your bumper.


"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
N
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
N
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
Quote:

But let me make one thing clear....I don't think you have to fly a flag every day to be a patriot. Or have flag decals on your jacket and car. It's what's in your heart not what's on your bumper.




I agree with that whole heartedly.

As for these guys staging that, they may have. I guess I just got fired up over nydutme's response about the flag just being a piece of "fabric".

To be honest, I can't watch the video, because it' blocked on my computer. I was responding more to the "Fabric" thing.


Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if a flag is nothing more than fabric with colors, then surely a magazine cover is nothing more than paper with pictures..... so who cares if there is a noose on it?...

or perhaps there is symbolism that means more than that.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but if a flag is nothing more than fabric with colors, then surely a magazine cover is nothing more than paper with pictures..... so who cares if there is a noose on it?...

or perhaps there is symbolism that means more than that.



In the end, it's just a piece of paper, and I didn't get all riled up about that, the lady on the Golf Network, or Don Imus.


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

I take it you've never served your country, had family or friends who served?

You never had anyone close to you put their lives on the line and/or surrender that life for what that flag represents?

It may just be "fabric with colors", but it represents so much more, and if I have to explain that to you..........................well, then you just don't get it.



Mr. Know-It-All

My father, brother, and a slew of uncles and cousins have all served for in the army. I had an uncle in the Marines. And two of my friends now, one was army and one was navy....if you really must know.

No, I don't got riled up over a piece of fabric...the only piece of anything in this country that means anything is the Constituion...now if someone vandalized that, get upset. But just as much as that american flag means something to you, that mexican flag meant something to him.

No, I never served in the military, never wanted to...I figured Uncle Sam dipped into my family enough. I went to college.

BTW, it's not necessarily wise to question an African-American if they've had family in the military...where do you think they recruit first?


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
That's cool, at least you are consistent. That, however, is not the norm and I'm sure you are smart enough to realize that.

If I went into any other country and flew the American flag above their flag, I would expect a serious reaction... and if I didn't get one, well then I'd know... that I had somehow ended up in France.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,663
Quote:


BTW, it's not necessarily wise to question an African-American if they've had family in the military...where do you think they recruit first?




Um...sorry. That doesn't fly. Why would it not be wise? I'd ask any American. Regardless of the family decent. Why do you think you should not be questioned because of your ethnicity?


KeysDawg

The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. - Carl Sagan
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
It's not whether you should or should not question somebody.. the question is, what does it matter?


yebat' Putin
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
N
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
N
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
Why don't you then ask your father and brother and everyone else if they beleive the flag is nothing but a "piece of fabric".

and as for being Mr. know it all. I gather you just assumed I didn't go to college just because I served,.........But I did also go to college, like it matters at all.

As for the color thing, do you know if I am african american or not?

You know where they recruit 1st, any where that will listen to them. Look at the racial make-up of the military. I bet you'd be suprised.

How did race get into this discussion anyway?


Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Quote:

...where do you think they recruit first?




The places where kids are about to turn 18 years old.


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

Quote:


BTW, it's not necessarily wise to question an African-American if they've had family in the military...where do you think they recruit first?




Um...sorry. That doesn't fly. Why would it not be wise? I'd ask any American. Regardless of the family decent. Why do you think you should not be questioned because of your ethnicity?



NO...what doesn't fly, is asking if I've had anyone close to me in the military because I won't bleed on the flag to keep the stripes red...THAT's what doesn't fly. And the fact that alot of black families have many members in all branches of military service. That's my point


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

Quote:

...where do you think they recruit first?




The places where kids are about to turn 18 years old.



Take you head out of the sand


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

Why don't you then ask your father and brother and everyone else if they beleive the flag is nothing but a "piece of fabric".

and as for being Mr. know it all. I gather you just assumed I didn't go to college just because I served,.........But I did also go to college, like it matters at all.

As for the color thing, do you know if I am african american or not?

You know where they recruit 1st, any where that will listen to them. Look at the racial make-up of the military. I bet you'd be suprised.

How did race get into this discussion anyway?



First of all, both of them will tell you the same thing, it's a flag. When you assume...you make an a...well, you should know the rest. I didn't assume a thing about you...unlike you assumed about me, and my friends and family.

The military is going to recruit where they're going to get people to enlist...poor minority neighborhoods, where the kids either don't have the grades or the money to got to college...But I'm sure you can prove otherwise right?


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Don't you love how these threads which revolve around patriotic issues like the flag and free speech often turn into debates on whose opinion is more valid... I know I love that.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
it's not in the sand, thank you very little.

The recruiters were at my high school all the time... or do you mean that they stopped at yours in the morning and mine in the afternoon?


Now, if you grew up on 55th & Hough, but I grew up in Lakewood or Westlake.... yeah, there's a difference. Kids in Lakewood or Westlake aren't looking at the military as a way out of their neighborhoods, in fact they probably aren't even looking for a way out. Those kids are just looking to move on to the next stage of life. So, does a higher percentage of African-Amaericans kids go into the military? I would guess yes, but there is no way in hell you can tell me that they are recruited first or heavier except as a side-effect that more come from there.

Color has nothing to with it. The neighborhood you grew up in and the economic or "other" realites of it? Absolutely.


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
With recruiting numbers WAY down, yes I can tell, that's where they go first


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Quote:

Don't you love how these threads which revolve around patriotic issues like the flag and free speech often turn into debates on whose opinion is more valid... I know I love that.






I live for it.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Well then, your opinion sucks, cause mine is better...


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 28,446
I don't see how that is possible when there are recruiters in ALL neighborhoods (even Berkely, lol) and they don't cross into each other's territory. They are in ALL simultaneously, there is no "go here first", only "go everywhere, now".


Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
N
All Pro
Offline
All Pro
N
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 602
Man, this is getting way out of hand, Yea, I did assume you never served, I also assumed, that you didn't have anyone close to you in the service. Obviously, I was way off on one of those assumptions.

As for where the military recruits, yea they do hit the poor neighborhoods. But they also hit the farming communities as well. Yea, MOST who serve do come from the less advantaged background. BUT NOT ALL. Ecomomics and education do play a role, but I don't beleive race does.

Look, I didn't mean to offend you, but the flag MEANS ALOT TO ME. I took your response as insulting to our flag. I obviously took it the wrong way but that is how our flag being "a piece of fabric" comes across.

If that's how you really feel, well............I guess I served and bleed so you could have that right. I guess I lost friends so you could have that right. Do I agree with you......obviously NOT.......but it's your right.

By the way, not that it matters, but I am a white guy, the friend I lost that meant a very good deal to me was African-AMERICAN. I am positive that the flag was more than a "piece of cloth" to him.

If I offended you, I apoligize.

I cannot express enough what the flag means to me..........


Born and breed with OSU, App. State alumni, but bleed orange and brown.

Go ARMY......Beat Navy!!!!!!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
I'm more than happy to let this die...You're right, it went way further than it needed to. Let bygones be bygones.

You adore the flag...to me it means nothing. Different strokes for different folks.


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

I don't see how that is possible when there are recruiters in ALL neighborhoods (even Berkely, lol) and they don't cross into each other's territory. They are in ALL simultaneously, there is no "go here first", only "go everywhere, now".



That's true...to a point, but it's not possible for them to be everywhere at once...there's only one entity capable of that, and the flag means nothing to him/her/it.

So, they would naturally target places where they can boost their numbers, I'm not saying it's inherently a bad thing, but if I were in their shoes, that's where I'd go first, where you have the greatest chance of catching someone, who, as you say, is trying to escape. I've seen more army recruiters is poor schools, than suburban schools. I graduated from Benedictine, I don't recall seeing military recruiters there that much. Now, I lived in Cleveland Heights, saw recruiters there more. Now schools like East, East Tech, Glenville...they're there quite a bit, and they should be, I'd rather these kids join then run the streets.

Anyway...IT'S JUST A FLAG. The people of this country mean more to me than a piece of fabric


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Veteran cuts down Mexican flag flown on top of an American flag

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5