Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

Did you say something?


Sometimes I think we make a little headway in these types of conversations. I think we have in the past anyway, when discussing different kinds of people and sharing our own feelings about each other, ourselves and our perceptions. Other times, absolutely nothing gets really discussed or settled and it just becomes a tinkling contest where nobody listens or tries to understand the other side.




I couldn't agree more!...if you're actually listenening (or reading in this case)


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Quote:

"Political correctness is the classic Great Idea Gone Wrong. All it's done is shut us up. It hasn't changed anybody's mind. It hasn't changed our hearts. It's changed our faces. It's taken every opinion we have, it's taken every joke we have, and it's forced us to conceal it and hide it and bury it. It's made us superficial."



I would agree with that.


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Quote:

So...by that rationale, political correctness prevents a racist from calling me a to my face...hmmmmm!




In a sense...yes.

But I think it's more within the gray area of racism. It's a very good thing that our society has rejected the notion that an entirely racist person could hurl ethnic slurs against you. It still happens, but as a whole I think the surrounding population (depending on area), will reject that. However...where is the gain in having square suburban white people say 'African-American', because they don't know any black people and are therefore afraid to offend "them"? The misunderstanding is still there, the fear is still there, the culturally imposed separation is still there...it's just being hidden.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,164
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,164
Quote:

Sometimes I think we make a little headway in these types of conversations. I think we have in the past anyway, when discussing different kinds of people and sharing our own feelings about each other, ourselves and our perceptions.




You know this has been the case with me. After reading and communicating with others I have been able to open my mind, and then my heart.


#gmstrong
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,283
Quote:

Quote:

So...by that rationale, political correctness prevents a racist from calling me a to my face...hmmmmm!




In a sense...yes.

But I think it's more within the gray area of racism. It's a very good thing that our society has rejected the notion that an entirely racist person could hurl ethnic slurs against you. It still happens, but as a whole I think the surrounding population (depending on area), will reject that. However...where is the gain in having square suburban white people say 'African-American', because they don't know any black people and are therefore afraid to offend "them"? The misunderstanding is still there, the fear is still there, the culturally imposed separation is still there...it's just being hidden.




What is the harm in having said "square suburban white people" say African American? Does it really hurt to use a couple more syllabels?

Get to know some black people, then there won't be a misunderstanding. I know plenty of white people, from the rural types, to your suburban types.

I don't know much about Asians and Latinos...thus if they want to be called a specific title, then I'll do it. Why wouldn't I? It doesn't cost me a thing to be polite and address someone the way they would like to be addressed. I can't really tell the difference between a chinese person, and a japanese person, so I don't say all asians are chinese.


"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good" Thomas Paine
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
P
PDR Offline
Legend
Offline
Legend
P
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,465
Quote:

What is the harm in having said "square suburban white people" say African American? Does it really hurt to use a couple more syllabels?




I've never had a black friend ask to call them 'African-American'. Never once. In fact, I imagine every single one would laugh at me if I did.

If they did ask, I would probably honor that request, yes. If they referred to themselves as such, I imagine I'd follow suit.

But in my perceptions of the world, it's just a word that white people came up with to feel less guilt. JMHO.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
J
Legend
Offline
Legend
J
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,368
Quote:

I've never had a black friend ask to call them 'African-American'. Never once. In fact, I imagine every single one would laugh at me if I did.





Me either. Not that I call them by their race, I can't think of a reason I would need to.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,955
Hall of Famer
Offline
Hall of Famer
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,955
That's what I was sitting here thinking...


#gmstrong #gmlapdance
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 40,399
The whole concept of political correctness goes much deeper than simply how you refer to somebodys race... It has sanitized everything we do and everything we say and it has people on edge about what they are allowed to say or not say... People get fired for not being politically correct at work. I'm not talking about blatant racism or sexism.. I'm talking about people who say some mundane thing. The schools are WAAAAAAY overboard with it so it's only going to get worse as our sanitized young people grow up...


yebat' Putin
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Legend
Offline
Legend
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 27,850
Quote:

Sometimes I think we make a little headway in these types of conversations.




Sure we do. I'm going to work on a really dark tan this summer, and try to talk Nduty into the Michael Jackson surgery so we can look more alike


I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
F
Legend
Offline
Legend
F
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,015
Quote:

Quote:

I started not to even check back on this, but I'm glad I did...



You can't help yourself.




Kind of like a car wreck on the side of the road, you can't help but turn and look.


We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,711
B
Dawg Talker
Offline
Dawg Talker
B
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,711
Quote:

I started not to even check back on this, but I'm glad I did...I didn't say anything about Roosevelt...you need to get your facts and reading comprehension straight. Check again Sherlock!




lol...well your right about that...sherlock would have got it right...i'm arguing with the wrong guy

well you'll have to just accept my apology...and if i ever see ya i'll have to buy you a beer

stinkin' long threads


Attitude is everything....FEAR THE ELF!!!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Veteran cuts down Mexican flag flown on top of an American flag

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5