Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Loki Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
It looks as the though the other one is 9 pages long and the refs usually don't like that so I figured I would start this one....

Williams and Rodgers what a combo

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Until I see that he has officially signed, I'm not counting Williams in.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
L
Loki Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
L
POST DELETED-SMACK

Last edited by Referee1; 03/01/08 03:19 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Until I see that he has officially signed, I'm not counting Williams in.

I'm with you, Michelle. I feel like it's a done deal, but crazier things have happened.

I am unfamiliar with this feeling of optimism
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
It's not exactly a done deal.Williams was franchised by GB,which means he doesnot have a multi-year contract.
I would suppose the deal is contigent on the Browns and Williams agreeing on one.
With the magic stick PS has been waving recently,that should only be a matter of time.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I posted this in the Rogers thread to help answer a different question. Luckily I typed it in WordPad so I still have it.

This is complete transcript of Savage's press conference on Friday on the part regarding the signing of Cory Williams. It is a done deal but the paperwork takes time...

"The Cory Williams situation, with the trade for him, when you make a trade for a player that's been franchised it takes a while to get through all the paperwork and all. So, he basically is just finishing up signing that contract and we're finalizing some of the paperwork with the Packer on that, so you're going to meet him tomorrow morning, I think it's at 10[am]. And Romeo will be down with him as well.

Just a little bit of a background on Cory, he's a 6th round pick out of Arkansas State, he went to Green Bay and worked his way into their rotation, recorded 7 sacks each of the last two years, and he was a player who we felt like if he did get to free agency we would be interested in trying to obtain. Obviously they tagged him a week ago and we felt like that if we really had sincere interest in him would we be willing to give up something to maybe get him. So, obviously once the league year began last night we contacted the Packers and said "Hey, would you be willing, if we were going to do a long-term deal, would you be willing to do something for less than what the tender is?" Which was two number ones.

We talked about it for awhile back and forth and ultimately came to the conclusion that it was worth a second round pick for us to get a defensive lineman that has played in the league, had success in the league. And, quite honestly when we met on the draft two weeks ago and forecasted what would be available in that 53 to 56 range, I was not comfortable at all that we were going to find a defensive lineman in that realm of the draft. Other position players, yes. Defensive linemen, no.

With that being said we felt like that Cory was one of the main pieces of the puzzle, he and a couple other players, we felt like we had to get one of them. So we were willing to do that. We gave up the second round pick and he's a Brown.

So we're excited about that. I think he'll be a real valuable addition to us not only because of his rush ability on the inside, but also his ability to play the run. He's 6'-4", 313 so he fits the dimensions of the 3-4 and he's a real good guy. We think he'll fit in well with our team and give us some legitimacy on the defensive front."

Then he moves on to the next topic of which I did not transcribe.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Heres part of a read that states Williams is signed......

The deal is contingent upon both Rogers and Bodden passing physicals with their new teams. Williams is officially signed to a six-year deal with the Browns; Rogers and Anderson are still in the "agreed to terms" phase of their respective deals.

link

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just some update on the contract situation:

Browns | C. Williams contract update
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:30:05 -0800

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports the Cleveland Browns signed DL Corey Williams (Packers) to a six-year deal worth $38 million. The deal includes a $6.5 million signing bonus, a $1.5 million roster bonus in 2008 and a $6 million roster bonus in 2009. Williams also has a $1.7 million roster bonus in 2010 and workout bonuses worth $595,000 over the length of his contract.

web page

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
New numbers...

Signed a six-year, $38.6 million contract. The deal contains $16.3 million in guarantees, including a $6.5 million signing bonus.

2008: $605,000 (+ $95,000 workout bonus + $1.5 million roster bonus),
2009: $1.7 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $6 million roster bonus),
2010: $4.2 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus + $1.7 million roster bonus), 2011-2012: $4.9 million (+ $100,000 workout bonuses),
2013: $5.4 million (+ $100,000 workout bonus),
2014: Free Agent.
Cap charges: $3.283 million (2008),
$8.83 million (2009),
$8.283 million (2010).

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=nfl&id=2876

Go Browns!!!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Who's leaving, who's not coming back, is Ethan Kelly still around, Orpheous Roye I believe is not currently signed, is Ted Washington coming back this season. I think if the entier defensive line were in tact and you add these signings, its an upgrade, but if you lose the position from last year and then add these signings, then its a wait and see if there is any improvement.

I don't think the two dl signings are any better than the three Browns players from last year or two years ago,
Once again who knows who will be the starters when week 1 regular season starts.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I don't think the two dl signings are any better than the three Browns players from last year or two years ago,

Please tell me your joking.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
O
Quote:

Once again who knows who will be the starters when week 1 regular season starts.

I do.

I find it shocking that any fan wouldn't know.

***Gordon, I really didn't think you could be this stOOpid, but you exceeded my expectations. Wussy.
Manziel, see Josh Gordon. Dumbass.***
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I hope you mean this in terms of not knowing who may get injured *knocks on wood*

but if you don't, I'd love to place a beth with you on who the starting 3 dlmen will be.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
D-line will be some sort of this combo

Shaun Rogers
Shaun Smith
Corey Williams

-or-

Robaire Smith
Shaun Rogers
Corey Williams

It depends on if Shaun Rogers can play the NT or not. FYI

Last edited by Thebigbaddawg; 03/08/08 06:51 PM.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Who's leaving, who's not coming back, is Ethan Kelly still around, Orpheous Roye I believe is not currently signed, is Ted Washington coming back this season. I think if the entier defensive line were in tact and you add these signings, its an upgrade, but if you lose the position from last year and then add these signings, then its a wait and see if there is any improvement

I don't think that anything has been announced about kelly, Roye may return but that's still up in the air, Ted Washington I believe is done, he just needs to admit it and move on with life.

I'd love to have roye back as well as Kelly. As far as who will start,, Got me, but I'm guessing the names are Smith, Williams and Rodgers... But that's just a guess.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm sure we'll various combinations, especially something like:

1st down:

Robaire
Shaun Smith
Corey Williams

3rd & long:

Robaire
Shaun Rogers
Shaun Smith
Williams

People forget that we often go into a 4-3 set after 1st down.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

I'm sure we'll various combinations, especially something like:

1st down:

Robaire
Shaun Smith
Corey Williams

3rd & long:

Robaire
Shaun Rogers
Shaun Smith
Williams

People forget that we often go into a 4-3 set after 1st down.

3rd and long...

Wimbley, Rogers, Williams, McGinest

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
3rd and long

Wimbley Williams Rogers Peek

A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

3rd and long

Wimbley Williams Rogers Peek

Forgot about Peek...my bad.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Acquire Williams Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard